If Trent goes down with an injury, we are literally SOL as of right no

Frankly, I don't know why we would even consider this a problem. Why would anyone think that Trent is not going to last the year just because he's consistently injury prone, and we have five new position starters across the line, only two of which have met each other before, two of whom are rookies, a relatively cheap (and potentially good) FA pick-up C who has been a back-up most of his career, and a slow footed oversized RT playing LT who doesn't really want to be there.

Oh, and a suspect young line coach with a suspect zone system run by a mediocre OC.

No way Trent goes down for any length of time.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, I don't know why we would even consider this a problem. Why would anyone think that Trent is not going to last the year just because he's consistently injury prone, and we have five new position starters across the line, only two of which have met each other before, two of whom are rookies, a relatively cheap FA pick-up who has been a back-up most of his career, and a slow footed oversized RT playing LT who doesn't really want to be there.

Oh, and a suspect young line coach with a suspect zone system run by a mediocre OC.

No way Trent goes down for any length of time.

Amazing how problems linger with our Bills, no? :lol:

At least this season they addressed the interior OL. They finally devoted some early picks; it was just SO overdue. If this was another team, I would be certain that they would address the OT problem in 2010, but we don't know what the situation will be at corner and safety. :wallbash::wallbash:

Do ya think? We not only have maybe the worst backup QB in the NFL now, we signed him for big bucks on the first day fo Free Agency like he is the second coming of Joe Montana. The Bills have made some questionable moves, but this one mystifies me the most.

worst backup QB in NFL now? What are you basing this on? Was it all the Cincy games you were intently watching last year?

Amazing how problems linger with our Bills, no? :lol:

At least this season they addressed the interior OL. They finally devoted some early picks; it was just SO overdue. If this was another team, I would be certain that they would address the OT problem in 2010, but we don't know what the situation will be at corner and safety. :wallbash::wallbash:

I really like the two guard picks and they have exceptional potential. I can easily imagine Wood being good or even very good right off the bat, like a Mangold. But he has never played an NFL play yet. It may take him awhile.

I like what I see from Levitre, too, although I am not nearly as confident about him, especially right off the bat. Hangartner COULD be good, but it is a complete unknown right now. And I have, unfortunately, little hope that Walker is going to be any better than "serviceable" at LT. He was pretty decent and solid at RT but his one glaring weakness doesn't hurt him there. It can kill him at LT. Butler still has a chance to be good, too, but he hasn't at all proven it at guard yet, lets see what he can do at tackle where he played in college.

I am glad they are addressing the line, too, but I don't at all expect them to play well together right off the bat. That would be a huge surprise and plus, obviously. It's possible, and I'm hoping, but I surely wouldn't bet on it.

If these five guys weren't the Bills, and as Bills fans we were looking at another team's roster, I would think most knowledgeable football fans would say that team's OL is the least stable in the entire league and maybe the worst overall in the entire league. Fans here would be saying, "What?! They are starting five new guys?! Two rookies?! A fat guy at LT? An unproven guard at RT? They've never played together before at all?! What are they thinking?!"

And I have very little confidence in our offensive coaching.

We do, however, have what I think are extraordinary skill players overall at WR and RB and Trent still could be quite good. But this team on offense could be anywhere from the bottom of the league to near the top.

You do realize that it is pretty much the same for every team in the league, right? There are not many (if any) backups that are going to carry a team to the Super Bowl. If any starter in the league goes down for an extended period of time, I can ALMOST guarantee they will not win the Super Bowl.

Does it happen? Sure.......once in a blue moon. But let's face it, if you starting QB goes down, the chances of winning are not good. And that is just not for the Bills.....it goes for every team. The money is just not there to have 2 GREAT QBs on any team unless it happens by accident.

:thumbsup:

Having two quality starting QBs on a team is like having a BMW & Mercedes in your garage at all times. You primarily drive the BMW, yet you're paying through the nose to have the Mercedes sit in the garage all the time.

Someone like Jeff Garcia will want to start. I don't know how much he'd complain about not starting, but you just can't expect a starter-quality QB to sit on the bench and be happy about it.

Fitzpatrick was marginally better than Losman last year...

First of all what are you basing that on?

Did you watch Losman play at all last year. In the Miami game and the Jets game he was horrible. Could argue he single handedly lost those games.

I mean here was a guy that was playing for a contract and he had the biggest 'dear in the headlights' reaction i have ever seen. He was completely terrible. If it came out in 10 -15 years from now that he purpousely lost the Jets game i would not be surprised.

I am sorry i will take my chances with the grass on the otherside, in this instance.

Oh yeah and like another poster said. Every team for the most part is in the same boat. There usually is a reason a guy is a back up.

:thumbsup:

Someone like Jeff Garcia will want to start. I don't know how much he'd complain about not starting, but you just can't expect a starter-quality QB to sit on the bench and be happy about it.

You also can't expect your starter to ever be very good in this league if he is worrying about looking over his shoulder or toward the bench more than he is downfield or at the 300 pound maneaters coming after him. So it shouldn't matter. The weaker guys are bothered by that.

When Trent goes down with an injury, we are literally SOL

I can see this happening at some point in the season and us having literally nobody to back us up / give us a chance to win games. We need to have a #2 that is more like a #1.0-1.5, even if it costs us extra, I would say right now that back-up QB is the most underserved position on the team.

First of all what are you basing that on?

Did you watch Losman play at all last year. In the Miami game and the Jets game he was horrible. Could argue he single handedly lost those games.

I mean here was a guy that was playing for a contract and he had the biggest 'dear in the headlights' reaction i have ever seen. He was completely terrible. If it came out in 10 -15 years from now that he purpousely lost the Jets game i would not be surprised.

Everything you say about JP losing the Jets game singlehandedly, being completely terrible in a contract year, 'dear [sic] in the headlights', losing the game on purpose, etc., is 100 % spot on. (JP being Jason Peters, that is.)

I know we all want to address the lines & Secondary but after thinking about it, we are well underserved at QB. I have 0 faith in Hamdan / Fitz helping us in a close game if need be. We have 0 behind Trent right now at QB. There is no Frank Reich to pull the greatest comeback in NFL history trick out of the hat, no gunslinger / threat. Our offense has been nearly inept for years, yet we continue to kid ourselves and think that the QB position is well filled. Dream a little dream, get a back up with some ability and that might actually be able to make other teams second guess what's coming, I want us to win.

If Trent cannot stay healthy for ONE season, which he may not, then it won't really be an issue as

the Bills will be restarting with another QB anyhow.

I'll contend that Trent clearly has the entire season on his shoulders. Yes, if/when he goes down it will get interesting. But, it's amazing.. Brady went down and people thought the Pats* were screwed. Young went down and the Titans were supposed to be screwed. Point is... you never know.

Trent is no doubt the key to our success. If he can read the defense properly and make the right decision, he shouldn't need more than a few seconds from the line. You've got Evans, TO, a slot WR and/or RB/TE on each pass play. If he makes the proper presnap read and gets the ball out, how much time does he need back there? If he's dropping back expecting 5-7 seconds to scan the field and see an open receiver, we're screwed. If Evans is double covered, drop back and toss it to TO and vice versa. If both are doubled, hit your outlet receiver/TE/RB. He should be able to do that by now.

I know we all want to address the lines & Secondary but after thinking about it, we are well underserved at QB. I have 0 faith in Hamdan / Fitz helping us in a close game if need be. We have 0 behind Trent right now at QB. There is no Frank Reich to pull the greatest comeback in NFL history trick out of the hat, no gunslinger / threat. Our offense has been nearly inept for years, yet we continue to kid ourselves and think that the QB position is well filled. Dream a little dream, get a back up with some ability and that might actually be able to make other teams second guess what's coming, I want us to win.

Who is behind 75% of the starting QBs in the league?

I can see this happening at some point in the season and us having literally nobody to back us up / give us a chance to win games. We need to have a #2 that is more like a #1.0-1.5, even if it costs us extra, I would say right now that back-up QB is the most underserved position on the team.

Head Coach position, far more underserved. And no back-up there, either.

If Trent goes down we would be in big trouble but Fitz isn't the worst guy you could have as your backup. Fitz is a guy who has a few starts under his belt and knows his role as a backup. If Trent went down we would never be able to make the playoffs but we could still come through with a decent season. If we had to have Fitz we could still go 7-9 or 8-8 it would suck to loose Trent but we wouldn't go 0-16 either.

If Trent goes down we would be in big trouble but Fitz isn't the worst guy you could have as your backup. Fitz is a guy who has a few starts under his belt and knows his role as a backup. If Trent went down we would never be able to make the playoffs but we could still come through with a decent season. If we had to have Fitz we could still go 7-9 or 8-8 it would suck to loose Trent but we wouldn't go 0-16 either.

Yeah great, near .500 ball with a back-up. This is why things will not change in Buffalo, just settle for 3rd in the division and have a drink.