Ask Tim Graham, version 2.0

Lori

Just saw in Lori's post below the mention of an illness in your family. Just wanted let you know that thoughts and prayers are with you along with all hopes for a full, speedy, recovery.

I want to thank everybody on the site for their concern and warm regards. Things are getting better. They're not fully back to normal, but we're headed in the right direction. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the kind words at a difficult time. It makes a huge difference.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to thank everybody on the site for their concern and warm regards. Things are getting better. They're not fully back to normal, but we're headed in the right direction. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the kind words at a difficult time. It makes a huge difference.

I have been away for 6 days and knew nothing of this. Good luck and God bless.

That's really great to hear! Hope the improvements continue.

I missed this, too. Hope all is well soon and great news that things are headed on the right track.

Thanks again to everybody for their concern.

I'm trying to get things back to normal, so let's talk football.

I would, if the Bills offense ever decides to play any. ;)

Kidding aside, good to see you. Don't know if you've had a chance to read Chuck's column from Saturday night yet, since it wasn't posted online until this afternoon. He didn't mince words:

PITTSBURGH - It just keeps getting worse. Talk about trampling the enthusiasm of a fan base.

The Buffalo Bills, with the third highest season ticket sale in the franchise’s 50-year history and the signing of lightning rod wide receiver Terrell Owens, seemed to have their faithful juiced.

Then the preseason started.

Let’s run this statistic by you: 55-3.

Yeah, that’s the margin by which the Bills’ starters have been outscored over four games ... a span of about six quarters.

55-3. Yes, T.O. has been cooling his chrome cleats for most of that time. Yes, the line will (hopefully) improve, the more they work together and as the rookies gain some NFL experience. But after watching a good chunk of those six quarters, have you seen anything to make you think the Bills offense will manage to somehow break into the top 20 in scoring this season, for the first time since Drew Bledsoe quarterbacked the team? I've seen a couple of things to build on with the D, but not if they're on the field for 32 minutes out of the first 45, as they were the other night ...

Bonus question: are Cotchery/Stuckey/Clowney good enough to drag a defender or two out of the box, or will teams be stacking against the run and blitzing the crap out of Sanchez until he proves he can beat them?

Tim,

If Bell takes the LT spot, will the Bills move Walker to LG? He played some guard with the Raiders..and the Bills don't seem to mind asking guys to switch positions.. Also, it would keep to their best 5 guys "theory" we hear about every offseason.

Is it always darkest before the dawn?

Cause it's pretty damn dark around here.

OK--football...it's been pointed out by others that the tight end position seems to get its share of balls from the back-up QBs, but not so much from Edwards. Why do you think this is?

Edwards doesn't look to the TE?

Our 2nd/3rd TE is better than our 6th or 7th best WR?

Tim,

If Bell takes the LT spot, will the Bills move Walker to LG? He played some guard with the Raiders..and the Bills don't seem to mind asking guys to switch positions.. Also, it would keep to their best 5 guys "theory" we hear about every offseason.

Why wouldn't they just move him back to RT and Butler back to RG, sending Levitre to the bench where he can transition from a college T to a pro G without getting Trent killed and ending up being the second coming of Dennis Shaw?

Starting Levitre is what scares me the most about this celing wax and bailing wire of an offensive line. Tough choice, what is worse, Bell at the critical position of LT or Levitre at G?

Why wouldn't they just move him back to RT and Butler back to RG, sending Levitre to the bench where he can transition from a college T to a pro G without getting Trent killed and ending up being the second coming of Dennis Shaw?

Starting Levitre is what scares me the most about this celing wax and bailing wire of an offensive line. Tough choice, what is worse, Bell at the critical position of LT or Levitre at G?

Wood is the RG. Levitre is the LG. Butler has never played LG before, Walker has..

Tim,

I'm not sure what the trickle down would be if Bell wins the job over Walker. If Wood were the left guard, it would be more clear cut. But the longer Bell is out with the bad back it gets tougher to sort out.

That's an interesting question. I think the options are different with each unit. The first-team WRs have to appealing targets for Edwards. Even when you consider Owens has been out for a while, remember that Edwards got used to throwing to him, Evans and Reed all summer. That carries over to games.

On the second and third units, the difference in appeal between the WRs and TEs is less stark.

Not saying that's the absolute reason, but it's a consideration.

Is it always darkest before the dawn?

Cause it's pretty damn dark around here.

OK--football...it's been pointed out by others that the tight end position seems to get its share of balls from the back-up QBs, but not so much from Edwards. Why do you think this is?

Edwards doesn't look to the TE?

Our 2nd/3rd TE is better than our 6th or 7th best WR?

Tim,

What is the background on the Turk firing?

Any thoughts on why this didn't happen at the end of last season? Or after the Packers game? It seems rather bold of the Bills to do 10 games before the Patriots. Perhaps it had something to do with preseason failure of the no-huddle.

And finally, any thoughts on what difference Alex Van Pelt will make? Is Jauron now on the hot seat with Edwards soon to follow?