I Wonder Where All The Russ Brandon And The FO Sucks

Russ Brandon and the FO  

149 members have voted

1. 1. My opinion of Russ Brandon right now is that...

• I still think he sucks and they need a better GM.
    • I feel better about him now but I'm still not convinced.
    • I'm sold on him.
    • I've always thought he was a wise choice and now he's proving it.

It seems the majority of Bills fan's are very happy with the draft now. A lot of people were saying that the Bills needed a better GM than they have and yet the vast majority are happy with the draft.

If approx. 70% of the drafted guys pan out that will give Brandon his second successful draft in a row pending some injured guys to show us what they've got. A lot of people loved his draft last year too. They got McKelvin, Hardy, Ellis, Fine, Corner, Bell, Johnson and Omon to stick on the 53 man roster last year. The jury is out on Bowen. That's 8 out of 10 picks with one pick who was injured in TC so he at least batted 80% last year in his draft to improve the team.

He also traded for Marcus Stroud and got rid of the on field and in the locker room cancer JP. He signed TO, Dominic Rhodes, Hangartner and Ryan Fitzpatrick in the offseason. What's left open now is an OLB and LT. The OLB may have been addressed during the draft and the LT who's a solid starter may already be on the roster.

Overall I think he's done a B+ job since taking over last year.

JMO

What's your opinion?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't dissappeared, I am still here and the FO still sucks. This years draft seems ok on the surface, and I hope it pans out, but it wouldn't be the first one that looked good 2 days after the draft, but then washed. It was a long time before anyone in Bills Nation doubted Mike Williams. Two years ago Losman was our savior, look how that turned out. Let's just hope, but one decent, not great draft on paper won't make him go from terrible to great that quick.

I don't understand these types of posts. How can any of us evaluate Russ Brandon and the front office at this point? Who knows about the players that have been drafted or the other moves that have been made. I don't even know if Brandon is making all of the decisions, or if he is, when he was given this power.

A couple of things I do know. First, Brandon does not have a background in scouting or prior GM experience. Second, some of the people in the front office in key positions are the same people who have been making poor evaluations for years. Third, the Bills have not made the playoffs in ten years.

I really hope Brandon has success and our draft turns out to be a great draft. It is time for some positive results. Until this happens, I will have my doubts about our front office.

I don't understand these types of posts. How can any of us evaluate Russ Brandon and the front office at this point? Who knows about the players that have been drafted or the other moves that have been made. I don't even know if Brandon is making all of the decisions, or if he is, when he was given this power.

A couple of things I do know. First, Brandon does not have a background in scouting or prior GM experience. Second, some of the people in the front office in key positions are the same people who have been making poor evaluations for years. Third, the Bills have not made the playoffs in ten years.

I really hope Brandon has success and our draft turns out to be a great draft. It is time for some positive results. Until this happens, I will have my doubts about our front office.

How can anyone say he sucks when two offseasons seem to be being handled well. If the guys they drafted bust then it is their fault but right now most people think that "on paper" the Bills had a great draft. My point is that he's doing a much better job than the people who call for his head think he's doing. So far he's looking really good to me. How someone can say the Bills need a new GM and he sucks is beyond my comprehension. If in three years the Bills are no better off then an argument can be made about him but right now he looks good to me.

Also, the previous nine years have nothing to do with him. JMO

While I really like some of the picks(especially Wood and Levitre), can we wait until they show something on the field before proclaiming Brandon to be a genius? Until that time, this decade of Bills football continues to be forgettable all the way from the owner, to the front office staff, the coaches and the players.

Brandon is a rank amateur and probably a puppet for Ralph and Dumbo Jauron. I can't understand these posts either.

Brandon is a rank amateur and probably a puppet for Ralph and Dumbo Jauron. I can't understand these posts either.

The thread asks where all of those people have gone. It was fairly easy to find them before this draft but they seem to be harder to find now, especially the vocal ones.

I understand your point, but I really don't think this is about Brandon. Even if he is exceptionally competent, he has to rely on people who have made poor evaluations/decisions for years (i.e., Guy). Also, with cash to cap and other financial constraints, do the Bills really have the ability to compete? Sometimes I wonder.

The thread asks where all of those people have gone. It was fairly easy to find them before this draft but they seem to be harder to find now, especially the vocal ones.

I hope the blind squirrel found a nut for the second time (Polian was the first & only) but chances are slim. We'll have to watch over time...3, 4, 5 years down the road maybe we can talk.

I think that you have WAY too much invested in the 08 draft being a good one. You seem to post this as a given, and I very strongly disagree.

I will think more of Brandon when he does 2 very important things:

1) Fire Jauron. Just fire him, put him on a super jet, get him out of town and let us all try to erase the ugly memories. You know.....let the healing begin.

2) Go with a 3/4. Perhaps Maybin could be another Bryce Paup.

EDIT: Ya know, how can we rate a GM who probably doesn't even have the power to fire this absolute disgrace of a coach?

It seems the majority of Bills fan's are very happy with the draft now. A lot of people were saying that the Bills needed a better GM than they have and yet the vast majority are happy with the draft.

Ah, no--your own poll suggests otherwise.

Look, if 8 of 10 of last year's draft makes the roster (including guys like Fine, Odom, etc.) and "70%" of the very next draft also makes the roster--guess what, your team sucks. That's about 25% of the roster with 1 year or NO experience in the NFL.

Guy and Modrak have been making the calls for years. Brandon is new AND has no experience. What has changed?

I think that you have WAY too much invested in the 08 draft being a good one. You seem to post this as a given, and I very strongly disagree.

1) Fire Jauron. Just fire him, put him on a super jet, get him out of town and let us all try to erase the ugly memories. You know.....let the healing begin.

EDIT: Ya know, how can we rate a GM who probably doesn't even have the power to fire this absolute disgrace of a coach?

I don't think any GM has the power to unilaterally fire the coach, especially when it would involve the owner cutting a $9 million check for someone not to work.

And of course he doesn't make the call on the 3-4.

If approx. 70% of the drafted guys pan out that will give Brandon his second successful draft in a row pending some injured guys to show us what they've got. A lot of people loved his draft last year too. They got McKelvin, Hardy, Ellis, Fine, Corner, Bell, Johnson and Omon to stick on the 53 man roster last year. The jury is out on Bowen. That's 8 out of 10 picks with one pick who was injured in TC so he at least batted 80% last year in his draft to improve the team.

He also traded for Marcus Stroud and got rid of the on field and in the locker room cancer JP. He signed TO, Dominic Rhodes, Hangartner and Ryan Fitzpatrick in the offseason. What's left open now is an OLB and LT. The OLB may have been addressed during the draft and the LT who's a solid starter may already be on the roster.

JMO

What's your opinion?

Lost Jason Peters let his vanity get in the way of sound team management. He sucks, sorry.

I don't think any GM has the power to unilaterally fire the coach, especially when it would involve the owner cutting a $9 million check for someone not to work.

And of course he doesn't make the call on the 3-4.

I am not at all sure of the bolded.

Also, SOMEONE gave Jauron the extension. We can't blame Brandon for hiring; that was Marv Levy's gem. Do you think that Brandon has less power than did Marv?

Linky

Dilfer tabs Bills as big draft winners

Chris Brown

Posted April 26th, 2009

Tags: NFL Draft

ESPN NFL analyst Trent Dilfer tipped his hat to the Bills saying they had the best draft of any team in the league. Here’s what he had to say at the draft’s conclusion.

“Winners to me are the teams that help themselves next year,” said Dilfer. “They get guys that will help them next year. I look at Philly, New England, Green Bay, San Francisco, Cleveland, but to me the big winner was the Buffalo Bills. You got guys that will contribute right away…I really think that the Buffalo Bills did a great job with helping them win football games next year.”

I'm not saying the draft "will" be great just that right now the vast majority of draft pundits think it was great. Would you be all over him if he had a Faders draft? I'm just pointing out it's too early to judge him as a total incompetent when it seems that he's doing a lot right.

The extension to Jauron was given to him when the team was 5-1. It's not Jauron's job to tell a coach what offense or defense to use.

Saying the 3-4 is the best defensive philosophy is based on very little thought IMO. Any system will work if the team gets the right guys for it. Wade Phillips never saw the 3-4 and 4-3 as that much different.

You are a !@#$ing idiot. No coach wins with the Bills roster, period. This is the first year the Bills actually have some pieces in place that I can remember since WELL before Jauron ever took over the head coaching job. To finish 7-9 the past 3 years is a !@#$ing MIRACLE when you look at their roster during that time, so why don't you keep your thoughtless yap closed until we see what happens this year.

JMO

What's your opinion?

I would say you have rated him a bit high. We need at least another season to evaluate both last year's draft and this year's. If Hardy, Ellis, and Bowen go bust you say last year's draft gets low marks - perhaps it comes in much much higher if Johnson and Bell see significant playing time and play well. It is way to early to sing the praises about this year's draft. On paper it loooks great. Time will tell if the paper grades translate to reality.

While I know many were in favor of the Peters trade you also have to give this at least one season to see if the Bills come out of that on the winning or losing side of the coin. If Wood and Nelson go bust and Peters plays at a premier level then Brandon and crew look pretty stupid. If Wood and Nelson live up to their potential and Peters plays at a subpar level as many have asserted he will then Brandon looks like a genius. It is a very rsky trade for the Bills. Only time will reveal if the bills are winners or chumps for making the deal.

Linky

Dilfer tabs Bills as big draft winners

Chris Brown

Posted April 26th, 2009

Tags: NFL Draft

ESPN NFL analyst Trent Dilfer tipped his hat to the Bills saying they had the best draft of any team in the league. Here’s what he had to say at the draft’s conclusion.

“Winners to me are the teams that help themselves next year,” said Dilfer. “They get guys that will help them next year. I look at Philly, New England, Green Bay, San Francisco, Cleveland, but to me the big winner was the Buffalo Bills. You got guys that will contribute right away…I really think that the Buffalo Bills did a great job with helping them win football games next year.”

I'm not saying the draft "will" be great just that right now the vast majority of draft pundits think it was great. Would you be all over him if he had a Faders draft? I'm just pointing out it's too early to judge him as a total incompetent when it seems that he's doing a lot right.

The extension to Jauron was given to him when the team was 5-1. It's not Jauron's job to tell a coach what offense or defense to use.

Saying the 3-4 is the best defensive philosophy is based on very little thought IMO. Any system will work if the team gets the right guys for it. Wade Phillips never saw the 3-4 and 4-3 as that much different.

I was talking about the 08 draft. Not sure if you caught that. Again.....I don't blame Brandon for hiring Jauron. But, he obviously shouldn't have been extended ever. Who else wanted him? There was no rush. I am thinking that there is a small market for head coaches who are most defined by their ability to lose.

You are a !@#$ing idiot. No coach wins with the Bills roster, period. This is the first year the Bills actually have some pieces in place that I can remember since WELL before Jauron ever took over the head coaching job. To finish 7-9 the past 3 years is a !@#$ing MIRACLE when you look at their roster during that time, so why don't you keep your thoughtless yap closed until we see what happens this year.

Do you feel better after the personal insults?

Ah, no--your own poll suggests otherwise.

Look, if 8 of 10 of last year's draft makes the roster (including guys like Fine, Odom, etc.) and "70%" of the very next draft also makes the roster--guess what, your team sucks. That's about 25% of the roster with 1 year or NO experience in the NFL.

Guy and Modrak have been making the calls for years. Brandon is new AND has no experience. What has changed?

The majority of people aren't happy with the draft? :blink: If you go to the Bills.com website you'll see that 82% of the people who responded rated it an A or B.

Also as the poll here stands at 11 who think he's doing very well, 15 that are starting to warm up to him and only 6 who think he sucks. I don't see how you can read those as thinking he sucks.

Newsflash Brainless Bill: The Bills sucked LONG before Jauron came to Buffalo. You cannot surround a guy with inferior players and then expect him to beat teams that have all the pieces in place. It doesn't work that way. It has nothing to do with Dick Jauron. It has everything to do with how the Bills continue to trade away their top talent every time a guy wants to be compensated competitively. So stop blaming it on Jauron. Give the man the pieces with which to win, and then if he fails to do so you can criticize him. But as of yet he has never had a team that could be expected to compete, and until he does, any criticism of him by idiot fans like you is nothing more than brainless thoughtless banter.

Well, it was easy to find all the one's who hate Russ Brandon, they are out loud and clear.

For me, I think he has been doing a fantastic job. Signing Stroud last year was Huge, and so far the class of last year has shown some players that bring Promise. Equally as big as last year's Stroud move is T.O's signing this year.

I liked the way they handled the Jason Peters situation, they sent a loud and clear signal that they won't deal with players that are holding out, just like what the Eagles are now doing with Andrews and Sheldon Brown.

Now this year's draft seems to look promising on paper.

I like his demeanor, he seem's to be a very pragmatic person, and I believe he is going to continue to make good decisions.

Oh, and did I mention he brought in Buddy Nix. Schrewd move!

Let's not forget, he's been at the helm for less than 16 months.

I think it's pretty funny how people keep calling him amateur and no experience in scouting and etc. when that is not true, he has worked under the helm of Butler and with Modrak and other great talent evaluators.

Also, and I've mentioned this before, Theo Epstein was a public relations guy for the Padres and just a few years later, by the time he was 28 he was the GM for the Boston Redsox.

I believe that successful people have the traits to be successful in many things. It's a formula of success, and Russ has shown that he has been very successful in the marketing department.

It's one of those type of things that you either wake up with it or you don't, as Mayock would say.

I know this is an invite for hate, but time will tell, but up to now, he has shown promise as our own new GM.

Oh, and I loved how we traded up right before New England so we could get Levitre. New England's next pick was an offensive lineman, my guess is that they were going to get Levitre, and we made another schrewed move to scoop him up.

GO BILLS! :blink:

Do you feel better after the personal insults?

There are some that seem to think that personal attacks and explicatives somehow make their positions stronger. Reality is much the opposite. for what it is worth, while I have not agreed with your comments 100% of the time I have always found them to be insightful.

JMO

What's your opinion?

Can't have an opinion on the 2009 Bills until I see the product on the field. Confidence remains low with Jauron at the helm. Brandon's greatest risk is having Jauron and co. develop these young players.

Newsflash Brainless Bill: The Bills sucked LONG before Jauron came to Buffalo. You cannot surround a guy with inferior players and then expect him to beat teams that have all the pieces in place. It doesn't work that way. It has nothing to do with Dick Jauron. It has everything to do with how the Bills continue to trade away their top talent every time a guy wants to be compensated competitively. So stop blaming it on Jauron. Give the man the pieces with which to win, and then if he fails to do so you can criticize him. But as of yet he has never had a team that could be expected to compete, and until he does, any criticism of him by idiot fans like you is nothing more than brainless thoughtless banter.

You are #1 on my **** list. Congrats!

and BTW your mindless pap belongs in the Dickie Love thread not this one.

Stop acting like such an a-hole and discuss football, OK? Asking too much?

Jauron has been here for 4 drafts now. The 06 draft, which I am sure that he was deeply involved in, continues to hurt this team. Besides that, he brought us a "play not to lose" mentality. Can't you see this? We have a small defense. It is built around first (and now early second) round defensive backs who play a mile off the ball. We are bad at stopping the run and the pass.

If you don't think that Jauron was instrumental in this failure, maybe we shouldn't discuss it. Do you have more fun insulting people and calling them names?

Well, listening to draft review shows is quite a bit different than reading the hopeful wishing of rabid Bills fans. Mostly the guys that actually worked in the NFL are absolutely mystified why the Bills did not address the LT position and they aren't buying that Langston Walker is a better LT now than he was years ago when he was younger, quicker, and less beat up. (He sucked at LT with the Raiders.) They don't buy the baloney sandwich that Bell is a superstar that nobody has ever heard of either. While they like many of the Bills picks, they have played, coached, and managed NFL teams and keep coming back to the point of "How do the Bills plan to toss the rock all over the field and not give their young QB adequate protection? It doesn't make any sense."

Brandon? He's an amateur being trained on the job and under fire. Belichick outmaneuvered him in the draft by trading out of the first round, picking up picks, and letting another team snap up Oher right in front of our great COO's bewildered eyes.

I would say you have rated him a bit high. We need at least another season to evaluate both last year's draft and this year's. If Hardy, Ellis, and Bowen go bust you say last year's draft gets low marks - perhaps it comes in much much higher if Johnson and Bell see significant playing time and play well. It is way to early to sing the praises about this year's draft. On paper it loooks great. Time will tell if the paper grades translate to reality.

While I know many were in favor of the Peters trade you also have to give this at least one season to see if the Bills come out of that on the winning or losing side of the coin. If Wood and Nelson go bust and Peters plays at a premier level then Brandon and crew look pretty stupid. If Wood and Nelson live up to their potential and Peters plays at a subpar level as many have asserted he will then Brandon looks like a genius. It is a very rsky trade for the Bills. Only time will reveal if the bills are winners or chumps for making the deal.

I'm merely pointing out he's doing better than many thought. You're right that time will tell for sure. I'm just saying that a lot of people here expected his two drafts to be just like the Faders last two drafts and he is doing a things a lot smarter than a lot of people want to give him credit for. He's a much better talent evaluator than people wanted to believe. The players have yet to prove anything on the field but his drafts and offseasons have been handled well. JMO

I was talking about the 08 draft. Not sure if you caught that. Again.....I don't blame Brandon for hiring Jauron. But, he obviously shouldn't have been extended ever. Who else wanted him? There was no rush. I am thinking that there is a small market for head coaches who are most defined by their ability to lose.

OOPs! :blink:

The point is the same though. Since 8 of ten picks were on the 53 man roster it's definitely an upgrade over what they had going into the draft. JMO.

Awesome. You are now #1 on my "people that I don't give a fat fhuck what list they put me on" list.

And I've got no particular love of Dick Jauron. I don't think he's historically been a particularly great coach. I am simply saying that he has not demonstrated that he is a bad coach in Buffalo. I am pointing out that considering how premier players pretty much avoid Buffalo at all costs, and considering how the Bills FO for years has been trading away their talent instead of paying it, DJ has inherited a situation where he is being blamed for a 3-13 team only finishing 7-9 and missing the playoffs. I am simply saying that if you want the man to win games, give him a team that is good enough to win games. Otherwise, give him the credit that is due for helping a hapless and hopeless team win 7 games, when they probably only should've won 3 or 4 at the most. You witch hunters are grasping at straws looking for some place to put the blame, and I will help you out. Blame it on the fact that the Bills ARE NOT GOOD.

For the first time in a while, I think we are moving in the right direction and have a solid team that can compete in the playoffs.

While I like the draft, I do NOT like the Fitzpatrick signing. He is NO MENTOR for Trent, & if & When Trent is injured look out.

I agree, signing Fitzpatrick, especially as soon as free agency started, is the worst move by far of the off season, one which had it's share of bad moves.

Well, it was easy to find all the one's who hate Russ Brandon, they are out loud and clear.

For me, I think he has been doing a fantastic job. Signing Stroud last year was Huge, and so far the class of last year has shown some players that bring Promise. Equally as big as last year's Stroud move is T.O's signing this year.

I liked the way they handled the Jason Peters situation, they sent a loud and clear signal that they won't deal with players that are holding out, just like what the Eagles are now doing with Andrews and Sheldon Brown.

Now this year's draft seems to look promising on paper.

I like his demeanor, he seem's to be a very pragmatic person, and I believe he is going to continue to make good decisions.

Oh, and did I mention he brought in Buddy Nix. Schrewd move!

Let's not forget, he's been at the helm for less than 16 months.

I think it's pretty funny how people keep calling him amateur and no experience in scouting and etc. when that is not true, he has worked under the helm of Butler and with Modrak and other great talent evaluators.

Also, and I've mentioned this before, Theo Epstein was a public relations guy for the Padres and just a few years later, by the time he was 28 he was the GM for the Boston Redsox.

I believe that successful people have the traits to be successful in many things. It's a formula of success, and Russ has shown that he has been very successful in the marketing department.

It's one of those type of things that you either wake up with it or you don't, as Mayock would say.

I know this is an invite for hate, but time will tell, but up to now, he has shown promise as our own new GM.

Oh, and I loved how we traded up right before New England so we could get Levitre. New England's next pick was an offensive lineman, my guess is that they were going to get Levitre, and we made another schrewed move to scoop him up.

GO BILLS! :blink:

What he said. :w00t:

and BTW your mindless pap belongs in the Dickie Love thread not this one.

Cool! I've been replaced!!!

Stop acting like such an a-hole and discuss football, OK? Asking too much?

Jauron has been here for 4 drafts now. The 06 draft, which I am sure that he was deeply involved in, continues to hurt this team. Besides that, he brought us a "play not to lose" mentality. Can't you see this? We have a small defense. It is built around first (and now early second) round defensive backs who play a mile off the ball. We are bad at stopping the run and the pass.

If you don't think that Jauron was instrumental in this failure, maybe we shouldn't discuss it. Do you have more fun insulting people and calling them names?

Hey look pal you are the one who is sitting here passing out blame to a guy you don't know, you have no idea how he runs his team on a day to day basis, you are not privy to even the most inane of goings-on at OBD, but you sit here and throw your stones of judgment like you are the Guru on Mount !@#$ing Woe. All I am doing is pointing out the utter lack of supporting evidence for a baseless claim made by an anonymous internet mongoloid like yourself. So which of us is the greater ****?

And once again you have no argumentative recourse for my point that the Bills sucked horribly before Jauron arrived, so it seems pretty absurd to blame their failure on him.

Hey look pal you are the one who is sitting here passing out blame to a guy you don't know, you have no idea how he runs his team on a day to day basis, you are not privy to even the most inane of goings-on at OBD, but you sit here and throw your stones of judgment like you are the Guru on Mount !@#$ing Woe. All I am doing is pointing out the utter lack of supporting evidence for a baseless claim made by an anonymous internet mongoloid like yourself. So which of us is the greater ****?

And once again you have no argumentative recourse for my point that the Bills sucked horribly before Jauron arrived, so it seems pretty absurd to blame their failure on him.

Parting is such sweet sorrow...have a good life and write if you get work. :blink: