I admit I'm an idiot, but...

Wing Man

I'm a fan, but every spring I fall for the spin from the coaches and journalists smiling and preening from 1 Bills Drive, expounding how this team is a playoff team. I lose all sanity and salivate all over my hdtv waiting for opening day (I can't abide pre-season games). And every season I get a Bills football team that can't explain why they're losing and can't (or won't) make mid-season improvement.

I've seen the schedule. Let's be honest. The offensive line won't gel, the defensive line won't gel, and Edwards could single-handedly transform the quarterback position by mastering the passing game from beneath defensive linemen.

Before the draft and before the after-draft enthusiasm - "we've got two or three players who will start on week 1!" - and before the training camp, "we're gonna win the division!," bs, here's the reality:

6-10, if we're lucky. I really like Owens, but I really fear he can't save us. We need a real GM.

Week 9: 2-6. Bye, Dick. Thanks for nothing. Why can't we hire real coaches, with real talent, and with a real chance of being paid more than half the next highest paid coach from the bottom?

They could still add some decent free agents and draft picks and all is not lost yet...

The Bills could still get peters signed and in camp and happy., I'd give the guy the Salary he wants but only with big incentive clauses,he plays poorly this season,he will get paid poorly. Honestly, if he can make the pro bowl again why shouldn't he be paid as much as Jake Long?

They could draft DE Robert Ayers and he could turn into a monster like Mike mayock thinks he will be

OR

Draft Brandon Pettigrew and help solidify that O line blocking and add another solid option to the passing game,anyone watch him catch the ball with those big paws and long arms?

Granted the team will still be held back by inferior game planning and play calls, but just maybe the players can play well enough to overcome the coaching inadequacy's.

I'm a fan, but every spring I fall for the spin from the coaches and journalists smiling and preening from 1 Bills Drive, expounding how this team is a playoff team. I lose all sanity and salivate all over my hdtv waiting for opening day (I can't abide pre-season games). And every season I get a Bills football team that can't explain why they're losing and can't (or won't) make mid-season improvement.

I've seen the schedule. Let's be honest. The offensive line won't gel, the defensive line won't gel, and Edwards could single-handedly transform the quarterback position by mastering the passing game from beneath defensive linemen.

Before the draft and before the after-draft enthusiasm - "we've got two or three players who will start on week 1!" - and before the training camp, "we're gonna win the division!," bs, here's the reality:

6-10, if we're lucky. I really like Owens, but I really fear he can't save us. We need a real GM.

Week 9: 2-6. Bye, Dick. Thanks for nothing. Why can't we hire real coaches, with real talent, and with a real chance of being paid more than half the next highest paid coach from the bottom?

Fine post here. I believe there's a growing section of fans who find it harder to believe the cosmetic changes being made will vault this team into the playoff hunt. The front office does a wonderful job of selling tickets, but the on-field product fails to be as advertised.

Your take on the coaches and GM is spot-on. It almost seems like management will find a way to keep the same sad-sack people around and spin it to be necessary. But if, and it's an if at this point, they falter again in 09 there'll be no excuses. 10 seasons without a playoff appearance is an eternity in the salary cap era.

Keep posting.

Half the fun of being a fan is seeing that next year could be the year. If there is no hope, dont watch

I agree with some of your points but now that im going to school in Buffalo and possibly buying season tickets im going to keep hoping that this year is the year

You're a student and you are "possibly buying season tickets"??

You using Gov't backed student loans for those ducats?

We're going to win our last 4?

Great post. I believe in the saying that team's take on the personality of their head coach. So we Bills fans have now had to endure three years worth (going on a fourth) of guys who say all the right things during the week, but look clueless and passionless on Sundays. Just like their head coach.

There are still some diehard fans who believe that this team will have a winning season in 2009, but I see zero chance of that happening. I realistically see a 4 to 6 win season mainly because of coaching. If the Bills actually had a coach that knew what he was doing and how to prepare his players, then I think they could get themselves to a 10-7 record with this schedule. That's how much of an anchor Jauron will be to this team.

Great post. I believe in the saying that team's take on the personality of their head coach. So we Bills fans have now had to endure three years worth (going on a fourth) of guys who say all the right things during the week, but look clueless and passionless on Sundays. Just like their head coach.

There are still some diehard fans who believe that this team will have a winning season in 2009, but I see zero chance of that happening. I realistically see a 4 to 6 win season mainly because of coaching. If the Bills actually had a coach that knew what he was doing and how to prepare his players, then I think they could get themselves to a 10-7 record with this schedule. That's how much of an anchor Jauron will be to this team.

birds of a feather....

There are still some diehard fans who believe that this team will have a winning season in 2009, but I see zero chance of that happening. I realistically see a 4 to 6 win season mainly because of coaching. If the Bills actually had a coach that knew what he was doing and how to prepare his players, then I think they could get themselves to a 10-6 record with this schedule. That's how much of an anchor Jauron will be to this team.

Agreed...

Jauron is a career loser as a HC...There is no denying it...Until He has another winning Season it's easy to assume the trend will continue... <_<

This offseason is the favorite time of year for 31 teams. The fans sit around and think this is our year. We only need one or two guys and we can be the next SB winner. In Buffalo we have done this for way to long.

I dont agree with you about the Oline and Dline. Last year we felt like the Oline was going to be awesome. Then due to many causes it just did not happen. The Dline was suppose to be great with Stroud comming in. Stroud did ok but Schobels injury killed the unit. I personally think the Bills have some guys in the system, and will fix some of the areas in the draft. Every year i looked at the schedule and tried to say ok thats a win thats a lose and thats a 50/50. But recently i gave up on that. Reason being is because the NFL changes so quickly.

I do agree the Bills need a freakin GM. A guy that evaluates talent and works with a bean counter on how to sign him. But ultimately he(the Gm) has the final say.

Do not loose faith, the Bills are going to win again, the will make the playoffs. And dont you want to be a guy that can say i stuck by you through thick and thin? Instead of some guy that jumped off the wagon. If you love the Bills you love them. They are like that cousin/friend that always hits you up for money, but is so loveable you cant say no. You give into him/them, but are complaining the whole time. We all here have said many times 'i hate this team' but we are right back the next week or season. Why? Because we cant help ourselves. My wife one time said i wish you could like another team. I hate how those guys get you upset. I told her it just doesn't work that way. Not for real fans and people with character. You love your team even when you hate them.

The Bills made moves over the off-season to improve weaknesses on offense, which is where they struggled last year. They're working on extending Peters, and adding another RB. They have a hole at LG and need a proven TE, but they could literally play anyone at LG and have him produce as well as Dockery did the past 2 years, while Fine could be a player and there is the draft.

On defense, they lost more or less lost nothing since Crowell didn't play last year and Greer missed 6 games and was going to be replaced by McKelvin anyway. What they added was an excellent nickel (not starting) CB in Florence, will get Schobel and Youboty (who looked like the best DB until he got injured, and that will always be a concern with him) back, and they figure to draft heavily here.

And the schedule doesn't look as hard as the "it's the 6th hardest on paper!" makes it out to be. I can see 10-6.

So buck up little camper!

You are an idiot <_< . I share your wish that the bills could stop being a farm team for the rest of the NFL, but as long as the team is in location that cannot pay the cost of a team, you are left with the buffalo bisons of the NFL. and frankly, the top coaches and players don't want to come to a team in WNY with a very conservative owner who will not be around too much longer. that kind of uncertainty, combined with a low pay scale, 30+ yr old facilities and a lifestyle that many rockstar, bachelor, rich NFL players don't want means you don't get the best players and coaches and management. You get good players, journeyman players who can play, but not a group that will compete for the title. Its just the way it is.

Fine post here. I believe there's a growing section of fans who find it harder to believe the cosmetic changes being made will vault this team into the playoff hunt. The front office does a wonderful job of selling tickets, but the on-field product fails to be as advertised.

Your take on the coaches and GM is spot-on. It almost seems like management will find a way to keep the same sad-sack people around and spin it to be necessary. But if, and it's an if at this point, they falter again in 09 there'll be no excuses. 10 seasons without a playoff appearance is an eternity in the salary cap era.

Keep posting.

Awesome job. We need more negativity about the upcoming season on a Bills' fan board in April. The same teams win every year and it's not like a 1-15 team just made the playoffs last year. All hope is lost. Keep up the great work!!! <_<

We need to quit whining.

The Bills are looking at Dominic Rhodes - if they can sign him, the RB issues will subside. Not to mention DR's effectiveness in the passing game.

They need to get Peters signed and I would like them to draft Herman "Biggest Baby" Johnson to shore up the OL. Then the Bills can concentrate on the DL, LB's and the TE position + team depth.

Not nearly as bad as it sometimes seems to be. We could easily be anywhere from 6-10 to 11-5. We need to go at least .500 in our division. I see no reason we can't win 2-4 games againts the Jets/Fins. We also could use a win against the Pats at home - or maybe we can surprise them in wk 1, like the Fish did last year by waiting until their game against the Pats to unveil the Wildcat - when they crushed them in NE.

Outside our division, we were 7-3 in 2008. Regardless of the media comments - the AFC East is tough - where teams beat up on each other. But outside the division, teams generally aren't as good - therein lies the opportunity. Go 7-3 again + 3-3 in the division and we're 10-6.

Keep hoping!!