The Bills OL From Left To Right

The following is a very short synopsis of the Bills starting OL.....

LT) Jason Peters: Off year but easily the best player on the OL and the team.

LG) Derrick Dockery: Average OG. Seemed to lack effort at times.

OC) Melvin Fowler/Duke Preston: Pushed around at will/Ineffective at all phases of position

RG) Brad Butler: Good player imo but frequently injured.

RT) Langston Walker: A little above average but gets beat around the edge a bit too often.

This OL, while not good, had enough pieces in place to be one of the better ones, lack of depth notwithstanding. So, where are we now?

LT) Jason Peters: Likely to be traded.

LG) None

OC) Geoff Hangartner: Should be an upgrade but why was he let go of so easily?

RG) Butler

RT) Walker

Is this really what you guys want? Does anyone think that the Bills will field an adequate, let alone good OL if Peters is traded? Even if Peters stays, we need an early round Guard to plug in on the left, and at least depth at OC. Chambers is very agile and is a good backup but let's be clear.....if he was viewed as anything more, a team would have offered him a 40 million dollar contract to be their LT.

Please consider that even if Peters stays, we have potential problems. Again, Butler is injured as often as Trent, Walker weighs 2 tons, and makes silly, idiotic videos when perhaps he should be working out. We haven't seen Hangartner, and rookies are a coin toss.

Now, throw in a front office who all but ignores the OL on draft day, and we are sitting here in April, talking about getting rid of the most talented player we have and for what? A first round pick that Jauron will use on a safety?

In summary, for the Bills to even consider trading Peters, both of these factors should apply:

1) He absolutely demands a trade and refuses to play in Buffalo.

2) The Bills are offered something in the range of the Cutler deal. I like the idea of an extra first round pick in 2010, especially since Dick Levy will almost certainly be gone.

Other than that, how about we give him the cash, draft Oher, and give him some as well.

Jmo.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rookie

Chambers

Hangartner

Butler

Walker

or

Chambers

Rookie

Hangartner

Butler

Walker

Probably our most likely lineups next season.

Very scary and I'm not sure how they fix it. I don't see these guys practice but I find it difficult to believe that Chambers and/or Bell can just step in and be productive.

Let's ignore the (lack of a) pass rush yet again and load up on O linemen. It'll work.

The pass rush is awful and it surely needs to be addressed. And wrt the draft, the OL has been ignored at about the same level as the pass rush. We can't really stop the run either in critical situations.

Every Bills Fan in the world knows the obvious.....the Bills need to focus on their lines. They might as well, since they are both weak and we play in the elements. Do you trust Dick Levy to address any of these needs with early resources?

I want to, but history tells me he either can't or won't.

It's not what we want Bill, at the end of the day it's what they want - or in Jason's case, what he wants...

With regard to Walker, if the coaches have graded him out as fine - I don't know why him making a video has any impact - especially a 5-8 min short, on his preparedness for games.

If that was the case, Jabari had the same thing for 2 years and then just last season a full half hour show.

Heck, you look at a number of teams and some of their players have shows, just because they want a life outside of football where they can have fun.

Personally, I don't care what he does in his off time - and to be frank why should any of us, barring laws broken?

It's not what we want Bill, at the end of the day it's what they want - or in Jason's case, what he wants...

With regard to Walker, if the coaches have graded him out as fine - I don't know why him making a video has any impact - especially a 5-8 min short, on his preparedness for games.

If that was the case, Jabari had the same thing for 2 years and then just last season a full half hour show.

Heck, you look at a number of teams and some of their players have shows, just because they want a life outside of football where they can have fun.

Personally, I don't care what he does in his off time - and to be frank why should any of us, barring laws broken?

You are ultimately right about the video. I simply get frustrated seeing this stuff when so much improvement is needed. It feels like we are suffering and Walker is clowning around with 5 million in his pocket. I wonder if Parcells would go for this?

The pass rush is awful and it surely needs to be addressed. And wrt the draft, the OL has been ignored at about the same level as the pass rush. We can't really stop the run either in critical situations.

Every Bills Fan in the world knows the obvious.....the Bills need to focus on their lines. They might as well, since they are both weak and we play in the elements. Do you trust Dick Levy to address any of these needs with early resources?

Or is it because the Bills proved last year that their offense could function perfectly fine with a make shift OL, while could do squat with their base/starting DL .... ??

You are ultimately right about the video. I simply get frustrated seeing this stuff when so much improvement is needed. It feels like we are suffering and Walker is clowning around with 5 million in his pocket. I wonder if Parcells would go for this?

I hear you - but he's to date one of the few media friendly members of the team and to me I'd rather them try to be loose than tight and screw up.

And as for Parcells, for all his ways, he's one Norwood-made kick from being just another coach with a ring. Don't get me wrong, he's a great coach, but he's the opposite of a guy like Sporano - all business, no family.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/29/sports/p...y_parcells.html

This is an article from back when he was Cowboys HC. It's sad that as old as he is, as great as many think he is, he has no one but his football people now. That my friend is scary.

How can you guys not like the Langston Walker videos???!!! Those are the highlight of my week.

Regarding the line, I think our best hope is to stick either Bell or a high pick at guard, and let Chambers play tackle. The upgrade at LG from Dockery to "anyone else" is going to surprise some people this year.

Let's ignore the (lack of a) pass rush yet again and load up on O linemen. It'll work.

When have they "loaded up" on the OL in the draft? Both lines have to be addressed in a bad way and since taking a guard or center at #11 would be ridiculous, the smart play is a DE at #11(Brown, Jackson, Orapko or Maybin), OL(guard and center?) with picks 2 and 3, followed by a OLB or TE in round 4.

Or is it because the Bills proved last year that their offense could function perfectly fine with a make shift OL, while could do squat with their base/starting DL .... ??

Perfectly fine Gerry? Despite having 2 very good backs, I had little confidence on 3rd and short. We also have a young quarterback in what might be a make or break season. Should we trade his Left Tackle and concentrate on defense?

It is no secret that I never thought Losman was a good quarterback, but the 2006 draft heally hurt him. Here was a young, struggling quarterback and remember what they did in the draft with their first 5 picks? They traded one away, and took 3 defensive backs and a DT.

This was unacceptable and it resulted in losses, which will continue without strong lines.

In your scenario, William, you hook up the O line @ the expense of every other position. It just doesn't make sense. They have to try to address both needs, not just one. If they decide to go O line w/ the first pick, it's going to make it very difficult to get pass rush help later on. This draft is top heavy w/ pass rushers, but not very deep w/ 'em.

If I were the GM, I'd look to upgrade my pass rush FIRST, then get an interior OL, then look to get a receiving TE.

no choice

Our OL is in a bigger dire situation then pass rush. We need to put up points and we won;'t be doing it with a crap fest OL which is what we have at this momnet. AND since the FO wasn't bright enough to bring in respecatable UFA's for the job we have to re-proritize our draft and it will be OL heavy IMO

When have they "loaded up" on the OL in the draft? Both lines have to be addressed in a bad way and since taking a guard or center at #11 would be ridiculous, the smart play is a DE at #11(Brown, Jackson, Orapko or Maybin), OL(guard and center?) with picks 2 and 3, followed by a OLB or TE in round 4.

I'm referring to the scenario William posted initially, Labatt, not the Bills' draft tendencies.

A pass rush doesn't have to come from the D-line alone. Without an O-line upgrade, the offense has absolutely nothing to fall back on. Right now they have 3.5 starters for 5 slots. Not good enough...

I'm referring to the scenario William posted initially, Labatt, not the Bills' draft tendencies.

Almost all of the defensive ends this year seem small, and perhaps unsuited for the idiotic defense that Jauron, ever the loser, clings to. If there is a modern day Simeon Rice out there, talk to me. :rolleyes:

The following is a very short synopsis of the Bills starting OL.....

LT) Jason Peters: Off year but easily the best player on the OL and the team.

LG) Derrick Dockery: Average OG. Seemed to lack effort at times.

OC) Melvin Fowler/Duke Preston: Pushed around at will/Ineffective at all phases of position

RG) Brad Butler: Good player imo but frequently injured.

RT) Langston Walker: A little above average but gets beat around the edge a bit too often.

This OL, while not good, had enough pieces in place to be one of the better ones, lack of depth notwithstanding. So, where are we now?

LT) Jason Peters: Likely to be traded.

LG) None

OC) Geoff Hangartner: Should be an upgrade but why was he let go of so easily?

RG) Butler

RT) Walker

Is this really what you guys want? Does anyone think that the Bills will field an adequate, let alone good OL if Peters is traded? Even if Peters stays, we need an early round Guard to plug in on the left, and at least depth at OC. Chambers is very agile and is a good backup but let's be clear.....if he was viewed as anything more, a team would have offered him a 40 million dollar contract to be their LT.

Please consider that even if Peters stays, we have potential problems. Again, Butler is injured as often as Trent, Walker weighs 2 tons, and makes silly, idiotic videos when perhaps he should be working out. We haven't seen Hangartner, and rookies are a coin toss.

Now, throw in a front office who all but ignores the OL on draft day, and we are sitting here in April, talking about getting rid of the most talented player we have and for what? A first round pick that Jauron will use on a safety?

In summary, for the Bills to even consider trading Peters, both of these factors should apply:

1) He absolutely demands a trade and refuses to play in Buffalo.

2) The Bills are offered something in the range of the Cutler deal. I like the idea of an extra first round pick in 2010, especially since Dick Levy will almost certainly be gone.

Other than that, how about we give him the cash, draft Oher, and give him some as well.

Jmo.

I don't think first day draft pick offensive linemen are as much a coin flip as they are an educated guess. And if Peters gets traded we'll have more guesses. The consensus seems to be a first and third for Peters, giving us picks at #11, #21/28, #42, #75, #85 in the first three rounds, needing to fill spots at DE, OL, OLB, and TE. I still don't know why we haven't signed Kendall Simmons yet, but I think that needs to be done (in addition to signing an OLB like Keiaho or Brooks). Assuming E. Brown is taken at #11, with Philly's pick Oher, Beatty, and Britton should all be around - take your pick. With the second pick, Mack/Unger would probably still be there. That leaves a TE (Coffman?) and an OLB (McRath out of Southern Miss? Cody Brown out of Connecticut?) in the third. This is definitely do-able.

Bill, the lack of attention to the lines is one area where I completely agree with you. The current starters and lack of depth really really scares me. I will give the benefit of doubt to Hangartner and expect him to be more than adequate as C. But given that we made no other moves to shore up the OL gives me cause for immense concern. Can we really trust rookie(s) to protect Trent and open holes for Lynch/Jackson ? I don't think so.

This is the reason that, even though I like Stroud, I am not entirely pleased at his new contract - it is money we did not have to spend this year. We could have utilized it to re-do Peters and/or get another O lineman.

Good post.