The Bills OL From Left To Right

It is my turn to be totally naive......

It is my opinion that if Peters is traded you could put Demetrious Bell at that spot and at the very LEAST have the same production as last year from LT.......and the upside of that is it might actually be better.

I like Bell.....and to be perfectly honest I am wondering if the Bills are thinking the same way.....but he needs to have a veteran next to him I think.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my opinion that if Peters is traded you could put Demetrious Bell at that spot and at the very LEAST have the same production as last year from LT.......and the upside of that is it might actually be better.

I like Bell.....and to be perfectly honest I am wondering if the Bills are thinking the same way.....but he needs to have a veteran next to him I think.

When Bell can pick up a 10 pound dumbell without two hands, we can talk. The post-draft minicamp will 'tell the tale' on how much he's re-shaped his physique this off-season.

Offensive lines only need to be adequate if everyone around them is good. The Superbowl winner and loser both prove that. The skill positions are set; its all up to Edwards.

I pretty much agree. They will draft a guy, bring in a vet after cuts, and one or two of last years backups will be featured in the paper with a story about how he has improved in leaps and bounds and it has all come together for him. Then the line will be adequate, with some obvious weaknesses, and no strengths. That's a Buffalo Bills O-Line (and most teams in the NFL it seems).

They can't fix everything right away, but I really hope they can put together a decent pass rush. Even if they landed the best DT/DE or blitzing LB available in the draft, it might not be enough to make it any good.

This is Jauron's draft history of the Bears (we already know Buffalo). Each year, he got at least one lineman and many times multiple. If I could I'd look for the FAs acquired, but Ted Washington after we released him was a big part of his COTY defense. Did he draft DBs? Yes. But other than Andy Reid, very few don't every year.

2002 - Chicago Bears

Rd Sel # Player Position School

1 29 Marc Colombo T Boston College

3 72 Roe Williams CB Tuskegee

3 93 Terrence Metcalf G Mississippi

4 104 Alex Brown DE Florida

5 140 Bobby Gray DB Louisiana Tech

5 165 Bryan Knight DE Pittsburgh

6 199 Adrian Peterson RB Georgia Southern

6 203 Jamin Elliott WR Delaware

6 210 Bryan Fletcher TE UCLA

2001 - Chicago Bears

1 8 David Terrell WR Michigan

2 38 Anthony Thomas RB Michigan

3 68 Mike Gandy G Notre Dame

4 103 Karon Riley DE Minnesota

5 138 Bernard Robertson G Tulane

7 208 John Capel -- Florida

2000 - Chicago Bears

1 9 Brian Urlacher MLB New Mexico

2 39 Mike Brown FS Nebraska

3 69 Dez White WR Georgia Tech

3 87 Dustin Lyman TE Wake Forest

4 125 Reggie Austin DB Wake Forest

6 170 Frank Murphy RB Kansas State

6 174 Paul Edinger K Michigan State

7 223 James Cotton DE Ohio State

7 254 Michael Green SAF Northwestern State-Louisiana

1999 - Chicago Bears

1 12 Cade McNown QB UCLA

2 48 Russell Davis DE North Carolina

3 66 Rex Tucker T Texas A&M

3 71 D'Wayne Bates WR Northwestern

3 78 Marty Booker WR Louisiana-Monroe

4 106 Warrick Holdman LB Texas A&M

4 111 Rosevelt Colvin LB Purdue

5 143 Jerry Wisne G Notre Dame

5 144 Khari Samuel LB Massachusetts

5 147 Jerry Azumah DB New Hampshire

6 184 Rashard Cook DB USC

7 221 Sulecio Sanford WR Middle Tennessee State

7 253 Jim Finn RB Pennsylvania

Dick did not have near the power over the draft he now has in Buffalo.

the Chicago history is meaningless to how he will draft in Buffalo

He want let go he was a free agent and the Panthers have an abundance of OL and there starters are already in place. They knew he could be a starter on a team and gave him the chance to pursue the starting Job if noone gave him the opprotunity the would have resigned him.

There was a link to this but im sure you could look it up. Either way hes is an upgrade over preston and fowler!

so the Panthers could not keep him

if he is so good, then why didn't the other 30 teams in the league to offer him even a moderately priced contract.

how did the Bills steal him on the cheap????

the answer is because he is a backup being spun up as a starter by OBD.

if he is so good, then why didn't the other 30 teams in the league to offer him even a moderately priced contract.

Good question. How did the Steelers "steal" Justin Hartwig "on the cheap" last year (2-year $3.725M deal) after also being released by the Panthers?

Salary cap issues (too much money already tied up in O-line)

A four-year contract worth $10 million is not cheap...that's starter money.

the answer is because he is a backup being spun up as a starter by OBD.

Everybody's got one.... :worthy:

I don't think Bell is ready to be a full time starter. IIRC, he was able to do 9 reps of 225 at the combine last year. I'm sure in a NFL weight program he's gotten a lot stronger, but he was a project on draft day 08. He still needs another year, and let's remember he hasn't played one game at the professional level.

If you're banking on an untested 2nd year man who played at a low level D1 level program to come in and replace Peters, that's naive. Nothing personal, but this notion of just putting a big guy in there is short-sighted. Peters is far stronger and while his 08 season was sub-par, he can run and pass block. I don't think Bell is anywhere near that level right now.

I don't think Bell is ready to be a full time starter. IIRC, he was able to do 9 reps of 225 at the combine last year. I'm sure in a NFL weight program he's gotten a lot stronger, but he was a project on draft day 08. He still needs another year, and let's remember he hasn't played one game at the professional level.

If you're banking on an untested 2nd year man who played at a low level D1 level program to come in and replace Peters, that's naive. Nothing personal, but this notion of just putting a big guy in there is short-sighted. Peters is far stronger and while his 08 season was sub-par, he can run and pass block. I don't think Bell is anywhere near that level right now.

You're probably right, but truthfully, neither of us know. No-name guys come out of the woodwork all the time in the NFL. The whole Steelers 2008 offensive line comes to mind in this regard.

According to the LAMP thread about Modrak, the Bills like what they've seen of Bell (and Johnson). He knows more than any of us.

He likely actually knows enough that he is quite willing to fib to the fans and others about what the Bills needs are on draft day.

In fact it the Bills are not blowing a lot of smoke or flat out lying about their needs, this Bills fan would be deeply disappointed.

If by lying to me they also fool the enemy teams in their estimation of our draft needs I think this is a great thing.

To some degree I think it is the intelligent thing to do for Bills fans to be pretty skeptical of assessments by FOfolks as the draft draws closer.

Rookie

Chambers

Hangartner

Butler

Walker

or

Chambers

Rookie

Hangartner

Butler

Walker

Probably our most likely lineups next season.

I would be thankful to even have a shot at 7-9 if that is the case. We would have to get lucky to achieve mediocrity.

As stated many times before, it's a group decision with Brandon / Ralph with the final call. Jauron doesn't have the power many thinks he "wields" over this roster.

Of the three, Dick, Ralph and Brandon, the guy I would most want to make the decisions is Jauron. It figures that he would actually have the least influence of the three. I don't think Brandon should be doing anything besides fetching coffee and bagels on draft day.

“He has tremendous upside,” Owens said of Edwards. “He’s an accurate passer. One of the things I asked my receiver coach [Tyke Tolbert] is how many times was he sacked this year. [Edwards was sacked 23 times.] With that being said he’s getting protection, and if he’s getting protection we’re going to get open.”

Source: http://www.terrellowens.com//news/news.php?newsid=511

So it looks like the Bills told TO that they would be upgrading their o-line.

What worries me is that even if we manage to fill the oline with pure top quality players, fresh olines need a full season to develop and wont start to blossom untill late in the season/their second year. The whole situation spells trouble.

Is the leauge folding after 2009 ? It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have growing pains in one year and then kick ass the next six.

He likely actually knows enough that he is quite willing to fib to the fans and others about what the Bills needs are on draft day.

So then why mention Steve Johnson as well? Are the Bills planning on taking a WR?

I'll take Modrak's words at face value. in addition to the fact that he refused to discuss the Bills' draft plans.

So then why mention Steve Johnson as well? Are the Bills planning on taking a WR?

I'll take Modrak's words at face value. in addition to the fact that he refused to discuss the Bills' draft plans.

Point taken about Johnson, but D&C does have a point. There is absolutely no reason for a GM (or whatever Modrak is) to tip his hand in the month of April.

Assuming that the LAMP story is true (a feat in itself), I can understand TM saying that he is happy with the progress of certain players, especially 7th round picks who barely saw the field. Imo, this would be nothing near giving them endorsements as starters, etc. In fact, while I really did like what I saw in Stevie Johnson, are he and Bell truly a 100% lock to even make the team?

Hard to tell this time of year, ya know?

My guess is because while telegraphing false information to the enemy is important, Modrak and the FO would be silly to only have one reason for doing anything. I think that comments about Johnson and about Bell as well enhance competition among the players. Everyone can make out well if they play well and everyone's job is in danger if they do not.

This fan knows the TEAM is the important thing and not being truthful to me. I just hope Modrak and the FO are stretching the truth (and even flat out lying when useful) rather than telling me everything I want to know.

We fans are important, but not more important than what helps the TEAM.

Lie to me and if we win I will easily forgive them (and if we lose I will also forgive them but no guarantee I will be easy about it).

According to the LAMP thread about Modrak, the Bills like what they've seen of Bell (and Johnson). He knows more than any of us.

he sure does

and his expertise on finding quality OL players is just legendary

in fact, it is one of the primary reasons the Bills have had such a legendary playoff run during Big Tom's tenure in Buffalo since 2001. :worthy:

he sure does

and his expertise on finding quality OL players is just legendary

in fact, it is one of the primary reasons the Bills have had such a legendary playoff run during Big Tom's tenure in Buffalo since 2001. :worthy:

But "sparatcus" knows better. :worthy: