Julius Peppers

Frez

Is this board overrun with Brits?? It's "defense," not "defence." And I don't think a lack of a 3-4 is what's keeping him from going to Buffalo. I've also heard he wants to, but he knows he's worth more as a 4-3 DE (that's why T. Suggs lost it when he got franchised as an OLB compared to getting franchised as a DE).

Peppers said that he's done all that he can in a 4-3 and wants to play OLB in a 3-4. He said there are 4 teams that play a 3-4 where he'd like to be traded. And whether he plays OLB in a 3-4 or DE in a 4-3 matters little money-wise. He's looking to get Haynesworth money, at least, if he's traded, and that will likely be his last contract.

Peppers said that he's done all that he can in a 4-3 and wants to play OLB in a 3-4. He said there are 4 teams that play a 3-4 where he'd like to be traded. And whether he plays OLB in a 3-4 or DE in a 4-3 matters little money-wise. He's looking to get Haynesworth money, at least, if he's traded, and that will likely be his last contract.

He's never played OLB in a 3-4. There's no way he gets anywhere close to $100M at that position. My money says he signs the tender and plays DE in Carolina's 4-3 again this year.

He's never played OLB in a 3-4. There's no way he gets anywhere close to $100M at that position. My money says he signs the tender and plays DE in Carolina's 4-3 again this year.

I also don't think he's going to get traded. I doubt any team would pony-up the cash he's looking for to try-out a new position. Plus trade high draft picks.

A friend of a friend bumped into Thurman Thomas a day or two ago. Thurman mentioned something bigger than Terrel Owens is coming to the Buffalo Bills and should happen before draft day. Thurman laughed and said, I hope you like lots of pepper on your Sunday afternoons.

Take it for what it's worth, probably nothing.

OK, taking this for what it's worth, and it's probably worth nothing, why wait until draft day?

If the Bills were swinging a deal for JPeppers wouldn't they JUST DO IT NOW!?!?!?

Yup, the Bills regularly include Thermal in ALL of their personal moves..... :D

If we get Peppers and have a stellar draft, we might make some noise this season after all.

We can only hope...We need established talent. Not just build thru the draft. That's why it's important to sign guys like T.O. But now we have to fill our needs. A guy like Scheffler at TE, Peppers at DE, June at LB. I'm not saying these guys are the long term answer, but I really feel that we are a few pieces away from become a major threat. Even if we get one or two of these guys or guys like them, it could make things very interesting.

Now if we don't get a decent DE, we really need to hope Schobel has a great year, because Denney and Kelsey are not the answer.

Peppers would be an amazing pick up. I highly doubt it would ever happen though.

I wonder how the media would spin that though. Obviously something very negative. All of a sudden Peppers would be a horrible player, most likely to have only one good year left in him, etc., etc.

A friend of a friend bumped into Thurman Thomas a day or two ago. Thurman mentioned something bigger than Terrel Owens is coming to the Buffalo Bills and should happen before draft day. Thurman laughed and said, I hope you like lots of pepper on your Sunday afternoons.

So this means that the front office "inner circle" leaks information to select Bills alumni, letting them know what moves they are trying to make? I guess this was Thurman's reward for publicly proclaiming that the Bills stink? How absurd is that?

Everyone on this board seems to run into an ex player every day.

That's not so far fetched. We now have over 10,000 posters and 50 years of Buffalo Bills in 'da hood'. A genuinely cool spin off of this is the number of Bills players who have chosen to live in WNY after their playing career, when virually none of them are native.

Speculation: I wouldn't be surprised if a number of TBD posters are/were Buffalo Bills.

Sgt. Pepper?

Sen. Claude Pepper?

Pepper Gomez?

Dottie Pepper?

Red Hot Chili Peppers?

So this means that the front office "inner circle" leaks information to select Bills alumni, letting them know what moves they are trying to make? I guess this was Thurman's reward for publicly proclaiming that the Bills stink? How absurd is that?

While I wouldn't assume this story is true, there are other explanations besides yours (and the idea that the Bills consult Thomas...floated by another poster as a straw man to knock down). Perhaps Thomas knows Peppers, or his agent, or his agent's brother, or maybe he was at 1 BD for a reason, and overheard a conversation walking by an office...etc.

The thing about rumors is, they come in many different forms, from many different sources, and some are more solid than others.

Once more, it's a rumor. Who knows how good of a rumor it is. It certainly sounds unlikely, to me.

But, it's a pretty good story...more fun than most of the rumors we get around here.

While I wouldn't assume this story is true, there are other explanations besides yours (and the idea that the Bills consult Thomas...floated by another poster as a straw man to knock down). Perhaps Thomas knows Peppers, or his agent, or his agent's brother, or maybe he was at 1 BD for a reason, and overheard a conversation walking by an office...etc.

The thing about rumors is, they come in many different forms, from many different sources, and some are more solid than others.

Once more, it's a rumor. Who knows how good of a rumor it is. It certainly sounds unlikely, to me.

But, it's a pretty good story...more fun than most of the rumors we get around here.

Nicely put. Stating the obvious, it's not at all uncommon for folks in a particular field of endeavor to chat idly about it, and have opinions, whether active or retired.

I still keep a casual hand in automotive, no doubt retired NFL players do same for their former work.

I would definitely trade our 1st round choice probably throw in our 3rd rounder as well to get Peppers.

Agreed, if we could sign him. My only concern is that two years ago he only had 2.5 sacks. Then, playing for a contract he had 14.5 sacks. That would worry anybody. But I'm more worried about the FO evaluating talent at the DE position in this year's draft. And I'd still love to land Jason Taylor for a two year deal and let him practice at home in Miami until the first pre-season game, but now you know I'm on drugs...

To tell you the truth, Julius Peppers reputation and talent precedes his onfield production, in my view. He really hasn't put up the type of numbers to make him the highest paid Defensive player in football. I would have to believe that Carolina is actively shopping him around, and that they are hating the prospects of having to pay him $16 Million this year.

For $16 Million, I wouldn't want to have him.

To tell you the truth, Julius Peppers reputation and talent precedes his onfield production, in my view. He really hasn't put up the type of numbers to make him the highest paid Defensive player in football. I would have to believe that Carolina is actively shopping him around, and that they are hating the prospects of having to pay him $16 Million this year.

For $16 Million, I wouldn't want to have him.

Agreed. These contracts are really getting out of control, thanks to the Jake Long and Haynesworth deals. Just because one guy is overpaid then the rest of them want to be overpaid. It's all a race to see who can be the most overpaid. That's why I'm scared to death of a capless year and would love to see the Jerry Joneses and Daniel Snyders of the league just...die. I really think, in my heart of hearts, that Jerry Jones is the Antichrist. Have you seen this man? Sorry, I guess this is getting a bit off topic here... :unsure:

How would you like Julius Peppers to end up in Buffalo? :unsure:

Don't laugh, Buffalo is not finished yet in free agency. :huh:

Keep your fingers crossed!

My baby cousins little siters friends baby daddy said Jim Kelly was in the best shape of his life and is coming out of retirement to lead the Bills back to glory.

That's not so far fetched. We now have over 10,000 posters and 50 years of Buffalo Bills in 'da hood'. A genuinely cool spin off of this is the number of Bills players who have chosen to live in WNY after their playing career, when virually none of them are native.

Speculation: I wouldn't be surprised if a number of TBD posters are/were Buffalo Bills.

Dean is really Cookie Gilchrist

Ok here are the scenarios as I see them;

1. Your friend is yanking your chain.

2. Thomas is yanking your friends chain.

3. Your friend misunderstood what Thomas said

4. You're yanking our chains

5. It's true they are trying to get Peppers here.

how often do people just "run into Thurman Thomas"?

IIRC, Thomas used to run into people.

...and some people claim there is no God.

Maybe the Bills are trading Kelsay for Peppers straight up. :unsure:

I ran into Marshawn Lynch the other day, but I just sped off.

:huh:

I would definitely trade our 1st round choice probably throw in our 3rd rounder as well to get Peppers.

The Bills have too many needs this year to justify losing a first and third this year. The first this year and a second next year. Maybe.

I find it very difficult to believe that if the Pets* couldn't swing a trade that Buffalo will be able to.

Is this board overrun with Brits?? It's "defense," not "defence." And I don't think a lack of a 3-4 is what's keeping him from going to Buffalo. I've also heard he wants to, but he knows he's worth more as a 4-3 DE (that's why T. Suggs lost it when he got franchised as an OLB compared to getting franchised as a DE).

No, here in Canada its Defence. I didn't realise that the Internet is only for Americans, or that we can only speak your version of english here

Based on what?? They still have glaring holes. You can't expect to go into the draft and fill needs at DE, TE, OLB, and LG. I'd say it's about 70% likely they are NOT done in FA. That being said, I don't have any delusions of JP (couldn't resist) coming to play DE for us. He's due to get almost $17M this year alone.

We might think they have glaring holes, but they think they are fine where they are right now. Their hole at LG they feel that they can use Chambers or Bell in one of those spots. The "hole" at DE isn't really a hole, they have enough DE's to play, its just that everyone wants an upgrade at that spot, which they feel that they can either do in the draft, or just by Schobel returning. They have TE's on the roster, and also feel they can upgrade that spot in the draft. They signed a LB, already on FA, and only have to replace one LB, Crowell, so they really don't have a hole there either, just a possible upgrade that they can possibly do in the draft

There really isn't much left out there that would be worth signing as an upgrade to what they already have at the position and that they can fit under the cap/cash to cap

Listened to a very intersting interview with Brenson Bruckner last week. Brenson played with him in Carolina and basically said that Peppers was not as good as the hype. He felt as if Peppers was a great athlete but not a great football player. And that Peppers did not really make anyone around him better. He also brought up the fact that two years ago Peppers had 2 sacks. Just food for thought. Take it for what its worth.

Hey I heard this from a friend, who heard it from an enemy, who heard it from a man in black - Peters to Philly, Philly's first 1st rounder and Aaron Schobel to Carolina, Philly's 3rd and Peppers to Buffalo.

Not sure if this is a serious post but if it is, Peppers would have to sign a long term deal with Buffalo in order to make this work - since Buffalo can't absorb all of Peppers' almost $17 million cap charge into their cap right now. I seriously doubt Peppers will want to uproot his family and finish his career off playing for a habitual non playoff team like Buffalo when he can keep his family where they now live and make $37 million guaranteed the next two seasons ($17M this and $20M next) by playing under the tag for the Panthers.

We might think they have glaring holes, but they think they are fine where they are right now. Their hole at LG they feel that they can use Chambers or Bell in one of those spots. The "hole" at DE isn't really a hole, they have enough DE's to play, its just that everyone wants an upgrade at that spot, which they feel that they can either do in the draft, or just by Schobel returning. They have TE's on the roster, and also feel they can upgrade that spot in the draft. They signed a LB, already on FA, and only have to replace one LB, Crowell, so they really don't have a hole there either, just a possible upgrade that they can possibly do in the draft

By your logic no team ever has glaring holes as long as they have a a body to fill in at the position. We don't have a hole at LG because we have Brandon Rodd on the roster?? Give me a break.

There really isn't much left out there that would be worth signing as an upgrade to what they already have at the position and that they can fit under the cap/cash to cap

Except that Keiaho or June would be an upgrade over Ellison. Except that Simmons or Waters would be an upgrade over ____. Except that a piece of driftwood would be an upgrade over Kelsay. Otherwise you're spot on.

Peppers has not sign the franchise tag offer. That means he cannot be traded by Carolina. If his agent signed him to the Bills, we will have to give up two first round picks. It will not happen or Peppers would have already been signed by the Pats last week.

...But didnt the Panthers just sign LT Jordan Gross to a big contract?....They are renaming the Ralph...Dr.Pepper Stadium, maybe thats what Thurman meant.

If you're going to follow the logic, the Bills would trade their #11 pick to Carolina for Peppers, and then trade Peters to Philly for a late first rounder. With that mid-late first rounder, they have a solid shot at Pettigrew. Failing that, a good OLB will be available.

It'll probably never happen, but if it did, the Bills would be better for it. Defense wins championships, and a line of Schobel, Stroud, Peppers, and Williams/Spencer Johnson (with Denney as a sub) would be fearsome. I presume they mean it when they say that Demetrius Bell holds promise; they've been saying it since they drafted him. Chambers could always fill in at LT too. He's at least mediocre, and performed decently in the games he played in last year (Seattle, Denver, and NE). In the three games he played in, Edwards was sacked four times total. That works out to 21 sacks per season, which is damn good.

Hey I heard this from a friend, who heard it from an enemy, who heard it from a man in black - Peters to Philly, Philly's first 1st rounder and Aaron Schobel to Carolina, Philly's 3rd and Peppers to Buffalo.

not a bad idea for a dream scenario.

Peppers is not coming to Buffalo.

I read an article a day or so ago - it said that CAR is completely stuck with him for cap and outright cash reasons. They have lost FAs and can't even think about signing any FAs, it mentioned.

I believe it - same thing would happen here in Cincy if Palmer and his enormous contract and all those future things came up. I guess same for IND's Manning.

Personally, I wouldn't want him regardless. He had some soft years recently, and he's been mouthing of about how he's going to choose where he plays and what kind of playing he wants to do. I wouldn't care to stick this team with a player who decided to be so mouthy and self-important.