I think Rian Lindell will not be back next year.

Steely Dan

Rian Lindell  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Will Lindell be on the 53 man roster in 2009?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Anyone else think this. He missed too many kicks IMO to make the FO believe he still has the leg to play on the team.

I think we need to seriously look into getting a new kicker for next year. Bring some guys in and let 'em kick it off. I think he missed waaaaaayyyyyy too many.

he'll still be in buffalo, he's better than alot of kickers out there...

Not good enough for anymore because the winds in the Ralph need a very strong leg. I don't know how deep the kicker pool is in this draft but they should be able to get the best kicker in the draft in the fourth round or later.

I am not a huge Lindell fan, but I think he will be back. In my opinion, while he has improved over the years, the coaches really don't put him in many low percentage situations. He is solid enough though, and I would say he is way on the bottom of the list, of the Bills needs...

I am not a huge Lindell fan, but I think he will be back. In my opinion, while he has improved over the years, the coaches really don't put him in many low percentage situations. He is solid enough though, and I would say he is way on the bottom of the list, of the Bills needs...

exactly, we don't really need a kicker, why waste a draft pick. maybe we can find an unsigned free agent after the draft for competition and keep the better one.

Screw Lindell..... Look, I dont care how "accurate" people say he is (even though nes not) he does not have a long leg... Why is Buffalo a hard place to play? Because it gets windy and it gets cold. With those two things you need a kicker with a long leg. Ryan Lindell sucks and does not have a long leg.

Wow, are you freaking idiots kidding me. Lindell solidified the kicking position after the cluster!@#$ that was Arians, Graham (who we should have given a legit shot), and Hollis.

There wasn't a game that Lindell lost for us this year, and actually very few over his tenure here. But 30 of 38 is very solid considering the elements for a couple of the games that the Bills played in this past season. If you are going to complain about missing the FG against New England* where the wind freaking blew the ball completely off course, then you got some issues.

Steely, it does not surprise me that you are starting a witchhunt on a freaking kicker :( . If the player fans are trying to run out of town is a kicker, it means that kicker really sucks, the team is doing really well, or the fans are on crack. I am gonna guess that you are on crack because I think Lindell is solid.

Wow, are you freaking idiots kidding me. Lindell solidified the kicking position after the cluster!@#$ that was Arians, Graham (who we should have given a legit shot), and Hollis.

There wasn't a game that Lindell lost for us this year, and actually very few over his tenure here. But 30 of 38 is very solid considering the elements for a couple of the games that the Bills played in this past season. If you are going to complain about missing the FG against New England* where the wind freaking blew the ball completely off course, then you got some issues.

Steely, it does not surprise me that you are starting a witchhunt on a freaking kicker :( . If the player fans are trying to run out of town is a kicker, it means that kicker really sucks, the team is doing really well, or the fans are on crack. I am gonna guess that you are on crack because I think Lindell is solid.

Lindell USED to be a great kicker. I think he is on the downside of his career. As Marv Levy said "I'd rather cut a guy a year too early than a year too late." That's all I'm saying.

Is there a better kicker out there that can be signed??? Granted I've never been a kicker or even know what it takes to be a kicker, but Lindell missed some heart breakers this year and I know kickers will miss from time to time but a little camp competition wouldn't hurt??? Like my father always says "a kicker is brought in to do one thing and the day he stops doing that well then its time for him to go"

I'd like to know what Lindell's cap hit would be. IIRC, he signed a new contract at the end of 2006. Even though it probably won't be a lot, tying money up in a kicker is not good. Parcells seems to find a kicker whenever he needs one. Plenty of teams get a UFDFA or street FA.

I think it's funny this issue was raised on the day Norwood missed the kick in SB XXV.

Funny you mention those guys. They all went on to play very well for other teams. I think it is just the nature of kicking, guys go hot and cold... remember, Chuck Knox cut Gary Anderson, who was terrible in pre-season, who went on to become maybe the best kicker of the 80's and 90's...

Anyone else think this. He missed too many kicks IMO to make the FO believe he still has the leg to play on the team.

??? He was 30 for 38 including the miss in the Hurricane bowl at the end of the season. If you had said in the post that his length of Kicks is questionable I could have bought off on the idea - maybe - but the guy has been deadly inside of 40 yards.

I have no problem bringing other kickers in to compete for the job but I think it is highly unlikely that he goes anywhere else next season

Thank you. I was not a Lindell fan originally, but he's been very solid @ 85% over his last five years in Buffalo. And he didn't miss a kick on the road last year. There are a lot of problems on this team but K is not one of them.

I'd like to know what Lindell's cap hit would be. IIRC, he signed a new contract at the end of 2006. Even though it probably won't be a lot, tying money up in a kicker is not good. Parcells seems to find a kicker whenever he needs one. Plenty of teams get a UFDFA or street FA.

I think it's funny this issue was raised on the day Norwood missed the kick in SB XXV.

With cash to the cap I believe cutting him wouldn't cost a thing against the cap.

I think he has proved himself very well over the years. Let the Bills bring in someone like they've done in the past to take the load off him in the preseason & keep RL for the regular season. I expect him to miss a few, just like all kickers.

Lindell USED to be a great kicker. I think he is on the downside of his career. As Marv Levy said "I'd rather cut a guy a year too early than a year too late." That's all I'm saying.

I hear what you are sayng but the difficulty is finding a good one to replace him. A monster leg would help in the Ralph but guys that have this and accuracy are rare indeed. If I had to weight accuracy and leg strength (assuming that 40+ yarders are the measure of strength and inside the 40 relates to accuracy) I would put 30 points on strength and 70 on accuracy. My thought is that Lindell is close to this probably 25 75.

I hear what you are sayng but the difficulty is finding a good one to replace him. A monster leg would help in the Ralph but guys that have this and accuracy are rare indeed. If I had to weight accuracy and leg strength (assuming that 40+ yarders are the measure of strength and inside the 40 relates to accuracy) I would put 30 points on strength and 70 on accuracy. My thought is that Lindell is close to this probably 25 75.

They will have to replace him sometime, so keeping him even though there may be a better kicker available is a weak argument IMO.

I hate this response. He is a decent kicker, but I want more. I want the guy who steals a game that we didn't deserve against Cleveland. I want a guy to not miss 2 chip shots in a 10-3 loss to SF. I want a guy who doesn't miss and not give us a td advantage on the road agaisnt Indy when they won the Super Bowl. I want a guy to miss a 30 yarder against Pit before Willie Parker breaks off a long run.

Lindell isn't the biggest problem on this team. But he isn't a part of the solution. He can't kick accurately past 40 yards. Shouldn't NFL kickers be able to do that? I want better.

They will have to replace him sometime, so keeping him even though there may be a better kicker available is a weak argument IMO.

If a kicker is available in the mid rounds then the Bills should go for it. This year there are so many other priorities to address. We need depth at WR, c, g, LB, QB .. I put all of these far ahead of a kicker at the moment. To your point though, we are within a two to three year window where we need to get serious about replacing Lindell.

I hate this response. He is a decent kicker, but I want more. I want the guy who steals a game that we didn't deserve against Cleveland. I want a guy to not miss 2 chip shots in a 10-3 loss to SF. I want a guy who doesn't miss and not give us a td advantage on the road agaisnt Indy when they won the Super Bowl. I want a guy to miss a 30 yarder against Pit before Willie Parker breaks off a long run.

Lindell isn't the biggest problem on this team. But he isn't a part of the solution. He can't kick accurately past 40 yards. Shouldn't NFL kickers be able to do that? I want better.

and i want a defensive front 7 that can get to the passer.

..guys go hot and cold... remember, Chuck Knox cut Gary Anderson, who was terrible in pre-season, who went on to become maybe the best kicker of the 80's and 90's...

He was also a pretty high draft pick, IIRC. Even Steve Christie was cut after a 'cold' season, then rebounded well to play for a few more years.

Training camp competition is best for all positions, but he's good enough to stay considering all the other needs, IMO.

With cash to the cap I believe cutting him wouldn't cost a thing against the cap.

That goes down as the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen posted here. No matter what, cutting him would be a hit to the cap. It may be significant or not. C2C means nothing as far as the NFL is concerned relating to the salary cap.

Not good enough for anymore because the winds in the Ralph need a very strong leg. I don't know how deep the kicker pool is in this draft but they should be able to get the best kicker in the draft in the fourth round or later.

How well do drafted kickers work out? Never draft a kicker!!

Lindell is a very good kicker. He had a streak of 42 or so in a row under 40 yards. There are a lot of teams that would LOVE to have a consistant kicker like Lindell. Everyone complains about the Monday night kick that he missed. If we ever threw the ball further than 2 yards down field that would have been a chip shot field goal. Not to mention a couple of others that were missed were in very bad conditions which made his average a little worse than usual, but the kicker position is certainly not where our problem lies. Lindell is certainly never a kicker that has made me nervous. He is very sound and solid in my opinion. Now the offensive play calling this year was a disaster as far as I am concerned. Why bother paying Lee Evans and having quarterbacks with strong arms if we dump to the running backs every damn play.

Steely, it does not surprise me that you are starting a witchhunt on a freaking kicker :blink: . If the player fans are trying to run out of town is a kicker, it means that kicker really sucks, the team is doing really well, or the fans are on crack. I am gonna guess that you are on crack because I think Lindell is solid.

Cough... Monday Nighter... Cough