GRUDEN FIRED!

colin

Gruden is my favorite coach in the NFL. Love the guys work ethic and personality, and i like the way he expects perfection in his offense and is tough on his players. Would be perfect for the Bills...to bad its too late, not to mention his price tag. Maybe Russ Brandon likes him more than me (fingers crossed, highly highly doubting it). Hopefully he takes a year off and is a possibility in the future (dreamland)

Isn't it funny how *after* we hear of Jauron's retention that guys like Shanahan & Gruden become available?

:unsure:

This is going to be the popular vogue thing to say this offseason..."we could have had Dungy, Cowher, Shannahan or Gruden" when it's not even remotely close to a reality that could have happened.

Neither Dungy, Cowher and Shannahan will not coach this year, so even if we fired DJ we will not have gotten either of them. I suspect Gruden will likely take a season off too.

Bottom line is that all of you "FIRE DJ" guys should be estatic we didnt fire DJ this year as 2010 is shaping to be the greatest pool of available coaches the NFL as ever seen as 4 of the winnigest coaches of all time will likely be available still and looking to coach again (Dungy, Shannahan, Cowher and Holmgren) plus other standouts now like Gruden and Marty.

There will be far fewer openings next year as they were this year given how many changes were made this year, so any of these coaches seriously wanting to come back into the league in 2010 will have to give us real consideration as we will be one of few openings if we fire DJ after this year (which we will unless he gets us in the post season) and probably an attractive spot as a team with some solid young talent.

I dont want to hear about how we could have had any of these coaches this year as that is not even close to true as they dont want to coach this next year. Well, we dont yet know how Gruden feels yet, but I suspect he takes a year off like most coaches of his caliber do, however, that is irrelevant in Ralph's decision to keep DJ anyway since Gruden just got fired today and it was somewhat of a surprise.

This is going to be the popular vogue thing to say this offseason..."we could have had Dungy, Cowher, Shannahan or Gruden" when it's not even remotely close to a reality that could have happened.

Neither Dungy, Cowher and Shannahan will not coach this year, so even if we fired DJ we will not have gotten either of them. I suspect Gruden will likely take a season off too.

Bottom line is that all of you "FIRE DJ" guys should be estatic we didnt fire DJ this year as 2010 is shaping to be the greatest pool of available coaches the NFL as ever seen as 4 of the winnigest coaches of all time will likely be available still and looking to coach again (Dungy, Shannahan, Cowher and Holmgren) plus other standouts now like Gruden and Marty.

There will be far fewer openings next year as they were this year given how many changes were made this year, so any of these coaches seriously wanting to come back into the league in 2010 will have to give us real consideration as we will be one of few openings if we fire DJ after this year (which we will unless he gets us in the post season) and probably an attractive spot as a team with some solid young talent.

I dont want to hear about how we could have had any of these coaches this year as that is not even close to true as they dont want to coach this next year. Well, we dont yet know how Gruden feels yet, but I suspect he takes a year off like most coaches of his caliber do, however, that is irrelevant in Ralph's decision to keep DJ anyway since Gruden just got fired today and it was somewhat of a surprise.

I think the Jets will call Gruden. Could you imagine if Oakland brought him back!? Pioli could can Herm and try Jon. And he could also be lured by the chance to coach Jackson, Holt and Bulger in St. Louis. I think he'll very much be in the mix with other teams this year. But he may opt for time off and come back next year, but then again why would he wanna compete with Shanny and Cowher for jobs next year? We'll see.

I just wish it was our team in the mix of looking at these guys. Maybe next year...

Gruden would be an improvement. A lot of others on here that I've read about I can't say that about. I would love Ralphie to say he was wrong, get rid of Jauron, and hire Gruden. However, we would definitely be getting a new QB, since Gruden likes older veterans.

There is only one person anyone should want as the Bills next head coach...

Mike Leach Talks Football, Global Warming, and Madonna

Hire Leach, Ralph, and sit back while your offense and Trent Edwards' career soar.

Did you hear his quote on O and D lineman? It was on the Shredd and Ragan show, I think. It was awesome, he believes in "nasty, fightin, snot-nosed meanies in the trenches." Or somethin like that. He knows it's all about the boys up front.

Why? Because he stockpiles QBs and can only win when someone else builds his team? Or maybe because he screams on the sidelines real well?

I'm not sure those are good traits of a head coach. He sucks, and deserved to be fired.

I would love to have him as a head coach here.

Did you hear his quote on O and D lineman? It was on the Shredd and Ragan show, I think. It was awesome, he believes in "nasty, fightin, snot-nosed meanies in the trenches." Or somethin like that. He knows it's all about the boys up front.

I absolutely LOVED this, from his 60 Minutes interview with Scott Pelley...

Leach seems fascinated by the world around him, but indifferent to how the world sees him. He's disheveled, tends to mumble, and talks in circles that only add to his mystery. He's known as a football intellectual. But, his eyes really light up when he talks about the simple, brutal collision of the offensive and defensive lines.

"I mean the reason they have football is because of the big guys and the, you know, when O Line D Line go one on one and you just get incredibly violent I mean that's what it's all about," he told Pelley. "And you get to see those guys just to war, you know? And it's got all the things that football entails. There's shouting, there's blood, there's boogers, there's a whole thing. I mean, there's spitting, there's fighting, there's ripped jerseys. There's someone grabbing someone's throat. I mean, it's why you have football."

Link

I think the Jets will call Gruden. Could you imagine if Oakland brought him back!? Pioli could can Herm and try Jon. And he could also be lured by the chance to coach Jackson, Holt and Bulger in St. Louis. I think he'll very much be in the mix with other teams this year. But he may opt for time off and come back next year, but then again why would he wanna compete with Shanny and Cowher for jobs next year? We'll see.

I just wish it was our team in the mix of looking at these guys. Maybe next year...

Yeah, I would suspect he will contacted by someone like KC and maybe the Jets. However, I doubt he enters the running in St. Louis...Bulger isn't what he used to be, Pace is wearing down, and Holt is on the downside of his career and likely won't be in St. Louis much longer and even believes he was being phased this past year. No way he goes back to that black hole in Oakland though as he will have way better options...

From a business stand point, you would think looking for a HC spot this year would be a better scenario for him given the glutany of top coaching candidates likely in the mix in 2010, however, coaching takes a big toll on you and many coaches as entrenched and intense as Gruden tend to like to a year to recharge so to speak.

Of all the big time coaches though out of work, he is the only one that might take a job this year given his age and the pool of coaches available in 2010, but I still think he sits a year.

holmgren--overrated---the others would be great

They also canned their GM. Wow. Wonder why they waited this long. Needless to say I'm shocked.

This is total speculation on my part.

The fact that so much time elapsed tells me that Allen was asked to fire Gruden and he refused.

Regarding Gruden...(IMO) he doesn't develop QBs, he chews them up and spits them out. What QBs has he developed?

Also regarding Gruden...my opinion above aside...I would welcome him to Buffalo with open arms. He would give you a good 3-5 year run before burning out the team. I would gladly take that 3-5 years.

The greatest offseason for head coaches....ever......and we have...

Dick.....and Turk.....

Explain to me how it is the greatest off season of coaches of all time? Dungy, Holmgren, Cowher and Shannahan ALL have made it crystal clear they will NOT coach this upcoming year...

2010 will be the greatest offseason for NFL coaches of all time with those 4 likely putting there name back in the mix as well as some others like Gruden (assuming he sits a year too), Marty, Billick, and Mariucci.

Explain to me how it is the greatest off season of coaches of all time? Dungy, Holmgren, Cowher and Shannahan ALL have made it crystal clear they will NOT coach this upcoming year...

2010 will be the greatest offseason for NFL coaches of all time with those 4 likely putting there name back in the mix as well as some others like Gruden (assuming he sits a year too), Marty, Billick, and Mariucci.

This may be enough for me to actively root against the Bills next season.

Just how bad does Jauron need to be to lose his job? 4-12? 3-13? 0-16? Whatever it takes.

Conversation with Al Davis to come back to coach the Raiders

Davis (make sure to imagine this with his accent): Hey John this is Al Davis coach..i mean owner of the Raiders. I really realized that i made a mistake by letting you go, and then i tried to find the new you by hiring Lane Kiffin, so now i think i want the old new you back, so what do you say?

Gruden : Are you bleeping bleeping me! there is no bleeping way i would ever bleeping come back to coach your bull bleep horse bleep football team again, are you bleeping kidding me! go bleep yourself AL!

My point: a) Al Davis would never ask him to come back because that would be admitting that he made a mistake.

b) if he did ask him, that would be Gruden's response

This may be enough for me to actively root against the Bills next season.

Just how bad does Jauron need to be to lose his job? 4-12? 3-13? 0-16? Whatever it takes.

Honestly, I think DJ has to make playoffs next year or he is out. I don't see Wilson keeping him with anything less than a playoff appearance, ESPECIALLY given the caliber of coaches that will be available.

Looking ahead at our schedule, this will be no easy achievement and honestly, I don't know if we can make the playoffs next year with Trent as our QB unless he makes a big turn around and finds a way to stay healthy.

ridiculous. Tampa overachieved this year and Gruden is a coach I would love to play for. He would do wonders for Trent. Get him!

Future Hall of Famer Dereck Brooks, a Gruden supporter said on The Steve Dumeg show on WDAE tonight "When a team doesn't live up to its expectations it falls on the Coach" Brooks said he felt this team had the potential to WIN the Super Bowl. Brian Griese also felt that way & that is why he resigned with Tampa even though he didn't really like Gruden. Bruce Allen the Bucs GM was hand picked by Gruden & I'm guessing that is why he was fired.

The greatest offseason for head coaches....ever......and we have...

Dick.....and Turk.....

I don't know. On the surface I think it looks like this might be the greatest offseason, but I think next year might be better. A few big fish might throw their hats back in the ring.

We might be in a good spot. I don't have much confidence that DJ and team will pull a winning season out of their asses next year, so my feeling is he will be gone. We might be in a good spot to land a good HC next year more than now. Not that I would complain if Ralph changed is mind on DJ tomorrow.

I think Dungy is done with football & will focus his energy on Faith/Social matters in the future, but if he does come back I think the only team he would go to is Tampa. He was on the Radio today plugging a pre Super Bowl event & said "I consider Tampa my home town."

ya know what i hate about being a bills fan? its always "NEXT YEAR"....

but in this case it's even worse than that...

we are hoping they implode and throw up on themselves...again... NEXT year, so the FOLLOWING year we will have a legit coach....

whatever happened to NOW? i'm just saying....

:unsure:

I absolutely LOVED this, from his 60 Minutes interview with Scott Pelley...

Leach seems fascinated by the world around him, but indifferent to how the world sees him. He's disheveled, tends to mumble, and talks in circles that only add to his mystery. He's known as a football intellectual. But, his eyes really light up when he talks about the simple, brutal collision of the offensive and defensive lines.

"I mean the reason they have football is because of the big guys and the, you know, when O Line D Line go one on one and you just get incredibly violent I mean that's what it's all about," he told Pelley. "And you get to see those guys just to war, you know? And it's got all the things that football entails. There's shouting, there's blood, there's boogers, there's a whole thing. I mean, there's spitting, there's fighting, there's ripped jerseys. There's someone grabbing someone's throat. I mean, it's why you have football."

Link

Sweet! Thanks for posting Senator. I loved that quote. And that really is what football is all about. I actually have a friend who's a huge Bills fan and has had Season's Tix for 16 years. We talk Bills a lot and earlier this year he said to me that he wanted use our whole draft to draft the entire Texas Tech line to come and play for us!

Clearly Leach knows a thing or two about lineman. That's why he enjoys success. His QBs can throw a lot because they have a nasty and talented line that gives the guy all day to throw.

When you have a good O-Line, any back can run well and any QB can pass. When you have a good D-Line no back can run on you and QBs are hurried, pressured and sacked. It's simple, it's basic, it's effective, and it's how you play football.