Arizona used to be the joke of the league

RunTheBall

I agree those teams are also minor league franchises, the difference is that many if not all of them have been to the playoffs in the last 10 years. You can at least make an argument for a successful season if you make the playoffs.

The Bills and Detroit haven't been there in 9 years. Cleveland, SF and the Raiders were there in 2002, St. Louis in 2004, Cinci 2005 and the others more recently.

Detroit is the only other franchise that I can think of that has this "GM by committee" thing going.

I agree with those who have been stating that the franchise is going nowhere until it is under different ownership.

RTB

Doing things by committee is a wimpy way of making decisions. In all successful organizations there is a good leader who makes the final decision after consulting with subordinates. But alas, there is a leader in Buffalo and he's 90 years old without much experience handling personnel.

Leading by committee is the best way to deflect blame when things go wrong. It's why the Bills are no better today than they were in 2005 when TD left.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, at the end of the day does it bother any of you outside of the message board other message boards consider the Bills a joke? I mean, at the end of the day, you either stay a fan of the team and can say, "I remember when people thought we were the joke of the NFL and now look at us", or you just move on and pick a new team, or just not follow the NFL.

We won two AFL Championships, we sucked in the 70s and early 80s. We get to the Playoffs/Superbowls in the late 80s and early 90s, begin a descent in the late 90s / 2000s. It's 2009 now. We're all Bills fans here - we all know where the team stands. What I don't get is, why do we have to re-hash it every time a former Bill succeeds, a non-draft pick (or cut draft pick) does well...etc. If you don't like it, wait for change or follow someone else. Because once Ralph's gone and if the team moved, do you really want to think back on the time you followed this team as just moaning and complaining on what might have been?

I will ALWAYS be a Bills fan, that said I don't think we will have ANYTHING good to hang our hats on until the ownership changes, & then we may not have a team.

There are more than two "jokes" in the league, like:

Oakland

Kansas City

St. Louis

Seattle

Cleveland

As much as Bills fans like to whine, the above jokes are worse.

Losing to Cleveland Rocks, hey Drew Carey you still have a pulse...? Losing to the Original Mistake on the Lake 2 years in a row places the saddy Bills below the saddy Browns.

I'm happy for AZ, I really am. I'm disappointed that we are losing a member of the Pathetic Franchise club though.

Lowly AZ goes out and gets a coordinator who's a first time head coach that actually knows how to coach. They get a first round draft pick WR who knows how to get open even when his pro-bowl #2 is out. They have a rookie DB who continues to make plays in his rookie year.

I'm happy for them, but it does put the exclamation point on just what a joke the Bills franchise as a whole has become.

Still, I'll be watching and going to what games I can. And that's one of the reasons Ralph will be laughing and counting the millions that he pockets that he could be spending on a real front office or a real coaching staff all the way to the grave.

RTB

I'd argue that the bungles are up there with us

I would say that Buffalo is in a short list of NFL losers at this point.

9 years of no playoffs will do that to you.

I would say the biggest jokes are

Buffalo

Cincinnati (even though they had one good year)

Cleveland

Detroit

you could possibly add New Orleans to the group.

I would say that Buffalo is in a short list of NFL losers at this point.

9 years of no playoffs will do that to you.

I would say the biggest jokes are

Buffalo

Cincinnati (even though they had one good year)

Cleveland

Detroit

you could possibly add New Orleans to the group.

san fran is getting there too

yes you are correct about San Fran. However, theyre still considered one of the NFL's greatest franchises (I guess as far as Superbowl wins).

I think San Fran and the Raiders can ride that and not look like the biggest losers to the rest of the football world.

Well, at the end of the day does it bother any of you outside of the message board other message boards consider the Bills a joke? I mean, at the end of the day, you either stay a fan of the team and can say, "I remember when people thought we were the joke of the NFL and now look at us", or you just move on and pick a new team, or just not follow the NFL.

I'm not concerned that other people or message boards consider the Bills a joke of a franchise. I'm concerned that now I do. It took a couple of years but I'm finally admitting to myself that this franchise is a joke. I used to look at Detroit, Arizona, and Cleveland and think "Man, at least my team isn't THAT f'd up"

This was the first season that I didn't go into with much optimism. I'm much more cynical and skeptical than I ever was before and that's because this owner has taken my support and dollars for granted.

As I stated in my original post, I'll still support the team and make a couple of games a year. I'll still sit in Gillette Stadium every year and get heckled by Pats* fans while they pummel my team once again. Maybe I'm just one of the lemmings that allows this farce to continue but I still enjoy the Bills and NFL. I just wish I wasn't so cynical about our franchise.

RTB

there are far worse teams than us in the NFL. Our problem is mediocrity, not flat out sucking like other teams. Oakland and Kansas City right now are much worse off than we are.

Finally someone with some sense.

Buffalo is not a "joke" of a franchise. The problem they have had is that they have been mediocre. Big deal that they haven't made the playoffs in 9 years. Is it really that much more of an accomplishment to make the playoffs one year and then go back to being a bad team like KC, Oakland, Cincy, have done recently?

Oakland is not a better team then Buffalo talent wise, and their front office is even a bigger mess. The problem is that everyone is overreacting thinking that the Bills are considered a joke because of Jauron.

Would you really rather be a Lions fan or a Raiders fan? Atleast the bills give some hope of a possible playoff birth

Arizona spen MANY years being the leagues doormats and collecting high draft picks to get to where they are.

The Bills are irrelevant. That's the issue. They're not a laughingstock, they're just totally off the radar. A team that never breaks out of that 6-10 to 9-7 morass of nonplayoff teams. They've had no notable players, no notable coaches.

But then, at the same time, they're not laughable. They play most teams close, and have only one truly terrible season in the past 20 years. This manages to exclude them from "Who will go in the top 5?" conversations, and nobody's ever watching us to see if we go 0-16 or break the record for points allowed, or anything like that.

We have this terrifyingly long playoffless streak, but I bet outside of Buffalo, nobody's heard of it.

The Bills are irrelevant. That's the issue. They're not a laughingstock, they're just totally off the radar. A team that never breaks out of that 6-10 to 9-7 morass of nonplayoff teams. They've had no notable players, no notable coaches.

But then, at the same time, they're not laughable. They play most teams close, and have only one truly terrible season in the past 20 years. This manages to exclude them from "Who will go in the top 5?" conversations, and nobody's ever watching us to see if we go 0-16 or break the record for points allowed, or anything like that.

We have this terrifyingly long playoffless streak, but I bet outside of Buffalo, nobody's heard of it.

This is the saddest truth in the world (slight exageration.) The Bills somehow manage to stay away from every form of media attention possible because of how mediocre and boring they are.

I'm happy for AZ, I really am. I'm disappointed that we are losing a member of the Pathetic Franchise club though.

Lowly AZ goes out and gets a coordinator who's a first time head coach that actually knows how to coach. They get a first round draft pick WR who knows how to get open even when his pro-bowl #2 is out. They have a rookie DB who continues to make plays in his rookie year.

I'm happy for them, but it does put the exclamation point on just what a joke the Bills franchise as a whole has become.

Still, I'll be watching and going to what games I can. And that's one of the reasons Ralph will be laughing and counting the millions that he pockets that he could be spending on a real front office or a real coaching staff all the way to the grave.

RTB

When we hired Mularkey many Pitt fans said wisen was the real brains sure showing it in Arizona, Doesnt hurt to have 2 all pro and another decent receiver with a QB that just wins.

Another great post.

This could change. They should be a blue collar, running team with a big, tough defense. It suits RWS, as well as Foxbpro and the Meadowlands. Imo the fans would go nuts and purchase a bunch of tickets. All they have to do is focus on the lines and a TE. LBs are a dime a dozen in comparison.

Do you see Dick Levy making this change? I for one do not.

A single bad season doens't make a franchaise a 'joke'. St. Louis and Seattle have both been to Super Bowls since the last time the Bills saw the playoffs.

A "joke" team is a team that wins three games or less. Sometimes a team that loses three games might have reason not to be considered a joke. I don't think any team this year thought their game against Buffalo was a "gimme" A disappointment? Yes. A joke? Nope...not with 7 wins.