My analysis on why Ralph kept DJ...

Alphadawg7

Here is my opinnion and analysis on what's going on with Ralph bringing DJ back. I still prefer to replace DJ now, but keeping isn't as crazy as our record suggest and does make some sense when you look at the bigger picture.

1. He is right on the money about a young team needing continuity (doesn't mean DJ and co. are the answer, but you don't develop young talent with constant change).

2. We had shown some improvements before our slide which coincidentally was about the time we started losing quality players to injury (Greer, Schobel, Youboty, Trent, Reed, etc.) which greatly contributed to our slide and inconsistentcy.

3. DJ, believe it or not, is still considered to be a pretty good coach in the NFL circle.

4. Ralph signed him to the extension already, so pulling the plug on him is going to be expensive at this point.

5. Troubles and inconsistency at QB greatly contributed to the demise of our season and we have a young QB who also missed time due to injury. This was the biggest reason for our fall from grace, not DJ. When Trent began to struggle he started to regress big time...hard to win in this league when your QB is timid to throw downfield.

6. There are some top coaching candidates available right now, but it is very possible that next off season will have several elite coaching candidates available as well: Holmgren plans to take 1 year off, Cowher emphatically stated he does NOT want to coach this next year until his daughter graduates (and his top 2 chocies to coach won't be available likely next year Jets and Browns), Shannahan likely takes one season off, Mariucci and Billick could also still be there, etc. Add Andy Reid too to that mix as I think he is back next year, but it might be his last unless Philly has a real strong season.

7. This team dealt with injury's to a lot key players on both D Line and O Line, QB, the secondary and LB positions. We didn't have the depth to overcome that.

So, when you add up all the variables, it makes some sense to give DJ one year to try and rebound. If he falters next year (which very well could happen with what appears to be a tough schedule next season) there will be some Elite coaches available and likely quite a bit fewer job openings than this season increasing our odds to land one.

Go away. You make way too much sense to post on this board.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not defending the guy...even started the post saying I prefer to replace him. My only point is that keeping him isnt as absurd as his record if you look at the whole picture, and still could work out.

Honestly, for us to win as many games last year as we did was a miracle with all the injuries we had. Many of our players we were starting we not starting caliber players and some would struggle to start in the World League.

We were hit hard by injuries then ended the year with a Rookie QB and dealt with the devastating Everett situation. Most among the NFL thought he did a heck of a job last year, myself included, given the circumstance.

He again was hit hard by injuries, had no consistency at QB, Trent even regressed.

So, that is why he is not looked at as bad in the NFL circle as he is by Buffalo fans.

I know you're not defending Jauron. But given his record, both at Chicago and in Buffalo, along with the mind-numbing mistakes he made this year, it's hard for me and a lot of sports commentators and writers, to justify keeping him. I keep pointing to Atlanta, Baltimore and My Yami as teams who did very well with 1st year coaches....all in the playoffs. Given that fact, along with everything else that's been said and documented about Jauron, it's hard to justify bringing him back for what all the evidence indicates, will be a repeat of the past.

All teams play with injuries and/or suspensions. That's not an excuse for Jauron, that's an NFL reality for every team.

So, let's recap.

1. In developing good young players, continued bad coaching is better than great coaching.

2. Injuries excuse. It's not Dick's fault that he has had a major role in overhauling the roster with his own guys and coaching up the depth on the team.

3. Bill Belichick was quoted as "loving Dick Jauron". Meanwhile, Belichick sprints off the field rather than shake hands with coaches like Coughlin or Parcells.

5. QB myopia. Who were the football people that decided to go with an unproven Edwards and a bad Losman again? Oh, that's right. Dick Jauron and rookie OC Turk Schonert.

6. Ralph is only 90, we can wait for the right coach to come along in time.

7. Lack of talent. See 2. Also, we know several games were lost by bad coaching decisions, not lack of talent.

But, you got it right with 4. It would cost Ralph money, time, and energy to try and fix the holes in the hull of his ship. Far easier to give the bilge pumps a little more time and hope for better luck.

What I hope Ralph did was Identify 2 or 3 candidates who he thought could be significantly better than Juaron - made inquires and was turned down- It does make sense to keep Juaron over other mediocre coaches - who needs two years of transition.

The coaching crop will be better next year if DJ doesnt get it done this upcoming year...Ralph knows it, heck everyone knows it. Plus, there will likely be less job openings making us more likely to land one if we pursue them. It likley has:

Cowher (said he will not coach next year and sit out one more year)

Holmgren (said he will sit one year)

Shannahan (I think he sits a year)

Mariucci (don't see him taking one of the open jobs this year)

Billick (see Mariucci)

Reid (if Eagles struggle next season he will be fired)

Etc

So, giving our young team one more year in the same system to see what our young team can do has the added security of having a prety deep coaching pool the following year if DJ can not get the job done. DJ has had to deal with quite a bit of adversity, the players like playing for him, he has an extension, we don't have enough talent anyway, and we have the fall back plan of having quite a few good coaches likely available if he fails next year (which will get him fired).

Plus, (as one poster added) one more year with Trent will give any new coach a clear indication on whether we need a new QB or have one to build on.

I know you're not defending Jauron. But given his record, both at Chicago and in Buffalo, along with the mind-numbing mistakes he made this year, it's hard for me and a lot of sports commentators and writers, to justify keeping him. I keep pointing to Atlanta, Baltimore and My Yami as teams who did very well with 1st year coaches....all in the playoffs. Given that fact, along with everything else that's been said and documented about Jauron, it's hard to justify bringing him back for what all the evidence indicates, will be a repeat of the past.

All teams play with injuries and/or suspensions. That's not an excuse for Jauron, that's an NFL reality for every team.

Can you tell me the big difference in Atl and Miami this year besides coaching? Good QB play...did we have good QB play? Not even close. When Trent was playing like an NFL QB instead of a scared puppy, we were 4-0. Even then, he wasnt lighting the field up...Bad QB play is the #1 killer of coaches in this league...

So sure, Sparano gets a lot of credit for the turn around, but that team is a completely different team in terms of its roster than it was the year before, and Parcells did that. Pennington, Brown back from injury, Williams, Porter back to form, the trade for Fasano, etc. was the turning point.

Atl just got only Matt Ryan and Michael Turner...hmmm...pretty good players to me...could they have a huge impact on that turn around?

Balt was already talented enough, so I leave them out of above example, but they too found a young QB to keep building on who is just asked not to lose them the game.

All teams do play with injuries, but not team in football has had as many injuries to key starters than Buffalo the last 2 seasons. Last year we had players that would struggle to start in the world league or CFL starting for us. This year our QB, OL, Reed, Schobel, Youboty, Greer, etc. were all hampered a CHUNK of the season, mostly during our season AFTER the 5-1 start and we couldnt recover.

What?! Did the sun rise in the west today? A TBD post that actually has some rational analysis? Your analysis makes sense.

Kudos to you, because if I read one more self-indulgent post by a "fan" threatening to cancel tickets, burn Bills gear, etc., I am going to throw my Dell out the window. You're all trying to be clever and witty, but here's what you sound like:

"Wahhhhhh. I have disposable income that enables me to buy season tickets, so that entitles me to whine sancimoniously about the quality of the 'product."

"Wahhhhh. I am so mad about Jauron staying on as HC, I am going to hold my breath, stomp my feet, and not eat my carrots. Did I mention that I have season tickets and I am entitled to whine sanctimoniously about the quality of the product?"

News flash: this is NFL football, not life-saving surgery. This is entertainment. If you don't like the entertainment, don't go to games, don't watch games, don't buy stuff--the same way you choose not to watch movies directed by certain people, or select the NHL over NASCAR. I'll bet when the Bills were 5-1 and the product was 'good,' the thought of selling your tickets or cancelling DirecTV was the farthest thing from your minds. Nobody is forcing you to spend a dime on Bills football--in fact, I am jealous of the fact that you can drop that kind of coin for tickets, travel and all the trimmings.

So, fine. Vent a little on TBD, sell your tickets, cancel Sunday Ticket and sell your Bills merchandise on eBay. Then, don't let the turnstile hit you on the ass on your way out. Those of us who understand what it means to be a fan of an NFL team--especially one that has been part of our lives from childhood and is inextricably tied to the character and personality of a city--will still be with this team next year and for as long as it is in Buffalo.

Your assertions that we are mindless drones will have about as much effect on our commitment as fans as your selling your season tickets will have on the Bills franchise.

I didn't read anywhere in this thread about Fans threatening anything or anyone throwing out there Bills items or canceling anything,why not take your comments to the appropriate thread.

This thread was started by someone who had already made the exact same post in another persons thread and its full of crud no matter where he posts it.

He continues to blame the QB for the failure of the teams success. That's like you not taking your dog out for a walk and blaming the dog for the crap on your carpet.

Again I'll cite the SF game where Lynch had rushed for 136 yards in 3 quarters and he got ONE carry in the 4th quarter when the Bills were only down by 7 points, instead the OC had the back up QB trying to force throws all over the field.So ignorant fools like you want to continue to blame the QB when he was put in a position to fail by the coaching staff.

Lastly,you will be the one crying next season when they don't show any home games because they won't sell out

Here is my opinnion and analysis on what's going on with Ralph bringing DJ back. I still prefer to replace DJ now, but keeping isn't as crazy as our record suggest and does make some sense when you look at the bigger picture.

1. He is right on the money about a young team needing continuity (doesn't mean DJ and co. are the answer, but you don't develop young talent with constant change).

2. We had shown some improvements before our slide which coincidentally was about the time we started losing quality players to injury (Greer, Schobel, Youboty, Trent, Reed, etc.) which greatly contributed to our slide and inconsistentcy.

3. DJ, believe it or not, is still considered to be a pretty good coach in the NFL circle.

4. Ralph signed him to the extension already, so pulling the plug on him is going to be expensive at this point.

5. Troubles and inconsistency at QB greatly contributed to the demise of our season and we have a young QB who also missed time due to injury. This was the biggest reason for our fall from grace, not DJ. When Trent began to struggle he started to regress big time...hard to win in this league when your QB is timid to throw downfield.

6. There are some top coaching candidates available right now, but it is very possible that next off season will have several elite coaching candidates available as well: Holmgren plans to take 1 year off, Cowher emphatically stated he does NOT want to coach this next year until his daughter graduates (and his top 2 chocies to coach won't be available likely next year Jets and Browns), Shannahan likely takes one season off, Mariucci and Billick could also still be there, etc. Add Andy Reid too to that mix as I think he is back next year, but it might be his last unless Philly has a real strong season.

7. This team dealt with injury's to a lot key players on both D Line and O Line, QB, the secondary and LB positions. We didn't have the depth to overcome that.

So, when you add up all the variables, it makes some sense to give DJ one year to try and rebound. If he falters next year (which very well could happen with what appears to be a tough schedule next season) there will be some Elite coaches available and likely quite a bit fewer job openings than this season increasing our odds to land one.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

The only reason he kept his job is because of the dumb extension... He won't make it past the half way point next year and watch, Bobby April will be the interim. Point blank, when you can't win a division game you should not have a job. 85% of the teams who start 5-1, make the playoffs. Dick is with the 15% who are losers. The only reason we started off that good is because of the teams we played. The Bills sucked bad this year and the whole staff is lucky to still have a job in the NFL. If it's necessary to keep continuity then why the hell are the Dolphins and Falcons in the playoffs right now. They are there because of positive change...

Wher do you get this from? Tell me that if RW fired Jauron that there would be a line of teams ready to hire as a HC? Seriously? At best he will return to a position coach unless by some miracle he turns things around next year. Did you not see how badly he was outcoached by Bellicheat? No to mention if Shannahan gets fired what makes you think Jauron is worthy of a HC job in the league? Truth of the matter is Ralph is notorious for being cheap with coaches. I'll bet even with the extension Jauron remains in the bottom quartile when it comes to pay. His performance suggests he should be at the bottom.

What makes you think that Ralph Wilson will do an about face and pay top dollar for the list of coaches you mention. Especially when he is buying jauron and crew out of the final two years of their deals. Aside from this, Ralph has disdain for the strong coach or GM type. Cowher, for example, is going to want a role where he has power and an owner that funds him with free reign.

Go away. You make way too much sense to post on this board.

Sure cause Jauron supporters have cornered the market on common sense... :angry:

You like common sense? How about facts? 7 losing Seasons in 8 as a Head Coach...A 57-76 overall Record as a Head Coach...An 0-6 Record vs. The AFC East in 08...A dismal Record vs. winning Teams in His Head Coaching Career...0-6 vs. Bill Belichick as The Bills Head Coach...There's more but common sense tells me that's enough... :wallbash:

Look...If you wanna love the Bills because they are your Team, the loveable losers, and rah, rah, rah...blah, blah, blah...Fine...But don't come in here with that weak slow-ball of common sense because keeping Jauron had NOTHING to do with common sense or the will to WIN in today's NFL... :nana:

Sure cause Jauron supporters have cornered the market on common sense... :angry:

You like common sense? How about facts? 7 losing Seasons in 8 as a Head Coach...A 57-76 overall Record as a Head Coach...An 0-6 Record vs. The AFC East in 08...A dismal Record vs. winning Teams in His Head Coaching Career...0-6 vs. Bill Belichick as The Bills Head Coach...There's more but common sense tells me that's enough... :wallbash:

Look...If you wanna love the Bills because they are your Team, the loveable losers, and rah, rah, rah...blah, blah, blah...Fine...But don't come in here with that weak slow-ball of common sense because keeping Jauron had NOTHING to do with common sense or the will to WIN in today's NFL... :nana:

You have your opinion,I have mine. Apparently you are one of the many hysterical,negative fans that post here. I always try to find the positive in situations,and the poster made many good points in his original post. You can go ahead and dump the team if you wish,I'll be rooting for the Bills whether I agree with RW's decisions or not. Their my team. And when they do turn it around you and your whiny friends will be back,bragging how you've "always been a Bills Fan".

Here is my opinnion and analysis on what's going on with Ralph bringing DJ back. I still prefer to replace DJ now, but keeping isn't as crazy as our record suggest and does make some sense when you look at the bigger picture...

An excellent post, A-dawg. It's hard for most here to be reasonable when the team tanked, once again, and it was due in large part, to DJ's coaching, it seems. I want DJ gone, and I'm not happy about Ralph's decision to keep him. But, clearly he went through a process before deciding to stick with Dick. :wallbash:

I think that what you outline, is as good as a shot at guessing the process, and the logic behind it, as any. Of course, the small minds of the lynch mob don't care to do any real analysis, and would rather post hyperbole and nonsensical truisms.

But, just because I don't join the mob, doesn't mean I'm happy about Ralph's decision.

All the variables? Ralph and his merry men are the ones who have made Pat Toomay's comment about the organization scouting from The Sporting News seem like a Nostradamus insight. When he finally made a move in the post Super Bowl years he hired a GM who would not take the job until the old man, himself, fired Wade Phillips... boy that first slug of dead money to a departed coach must have called back some painful memories of Mr Wilson's youth... so he won't make that mistake again. Lack of continuity? ... the one consistent aspect of the organization since the departure (over money as I recall) of John Butler et al has been the inconsistency and poor talent evaluation (for selecting coaches and on-field talent).

If the Bills' leadership felt that Jauron deserved a contract extension why do it after six games of the current season? Was there some vicious rumor afield that one of the free spending new-breed owners was poised to steal away our braintrust following remarkable back to back 7-9 finishes?

Wilson, Littman, and Brandon are anxious to extend the contract of a life-time sub .500 head coach (while refusing to renegotiate with their own Pro Bowl tackle who will demand even more money after this next trip to Hawaii); go the the mat (and lose) with Pat Williams, Nate Clements, Antoine Winfield... overpay Schoebel, Kelsay, Denny, Dockery, Royal without any tangible results... all orchestrated (from my perspective) to chum the water for next August when the WNY Leemings again caravan to St John Fisher and swallow gallons of the Blue, Red and White Kool-Aid, because it might finally be "next year".

Guest dog14787

I believe old Ralphy may have had Bill Cowher on his Radar but was told Tues by Cowher to remove him from the Radar so Ralph Wilson opted to stay with Jauron. This is just my opinion and I have zero proof, the timing was right though, on Tues Cowher also dropped off the Jets Radar.

An excellent post, A-dawg. It's hard for most here to be reasonable when the team tanked, once again, and it was due in large part, to DJ's coaching, it seems. I want DJ gone, and I'm not happy about Ralph's decision to keep him. But, clearly he went through a process before deciding to stick with Dick. :wallbash:

I think that what you outline, is as good as a shot at guessing the process, and the logic behind it, as any. Of course, the small minds of the lynch mob don't care to do any real analysis, and would rather post hyperbole and nonsensical truisms.

But, just because I don't join the mob, doesn't mean I'm happy about Ralph's decision.

Again, the "Dean" hits home with this fan as well.

Am I happy with Jauron, emphatically NO. Can he lead this team forward to success? From what I've seen from him I don't believe that's very likely. Will I be there next year on game day, even if from the comfy confines of my bar? God willing, you bet I will be..............

What?! Did the sun rise in the west today? A TBD post that actually has some rational analysis? Your analysis makes sense.

Kudos to you, because if I read one more self-indulgent post by a "fan" threatening to cancel tickets, burn Bills gear, etc., I am going to throw my Dell out the window. You're all trying to be clever and witty, but here's what you sound like:

"Wahhhhhh. I have disposable income that enables me to buy season tickets, so that entitles me to whine sancimoniously about the quality of the 'product."

"Wahhhhh. I am so mad about Jauron staying on as HC, I am going to hold my breath, stomp my feet, and not eat my carrots. Did I mention that I have season tickets and I am entitled to whine sanctimoniously about the quality of the product?"

News flash: this is NFL football, not life-saving surgery. This is entertainment. If you don't like the entertainment, don't go to games, don't watch games, don't buy stuff--the same way you choose not to watch movies directed by certain people, or select the NHL over NASCAR. I'll bet when the Bills were 5-1 and the product was 'good,' the thought of selling your tickets or cancelling DirecTV was the farthest thing from your minds. Nobody is forcing you to spend a dime on Bills football--in fact, I am jealous of the fact that you can drop that kind of coin for tickets, travel and all the trimmings.

So, fine. Vent a little on TBD, sell your tickets, cancel Sunday Ticket and sell your Bills merchandise on eBay. Then, don't let the turnstile hit you on the ass on your way out. Those of us who understand what it means to be a fan of an NFL team--especially one that has been part of our lives from childhood and is inextricably tied to the character and personality of a city--will still be with this team next year and for as long as it is in Buffalo.

Your assertions that we are mindless drones will have about as much effect on our commitment as fans as your selling your season tickets will have on the Bills franchise.

--there is a bit of the beaten wife syndrome with some of you great loyal fans

My biggest issue with this thread is the number of posters who feel the need to quote the entire original post in their reply. God is that annoying. Especially when the initial post is long and the reply is just a freakin smiley face.

we are just too lazy to erase

You make some good points...

Injuries do happen, but what it showed us is how little depth we have and you can't win if you can't field players who can get the job done. For example, if you give a player a scheme, if he can't execute, doesnt mean the scheme was wrong, means you need to find new players...

It is not 100% on DJ to develop Trent. The HC rarely develops his QB. It is the responsibility of the OC and QB Coach, and this is a common misconception especially with a HC with a defensive background. HC gets too much credit and blame for the performance of his QB in most cases.

Yeah, It's not Dick's fault that Trent got his brains knocked out and went into shock for the month of November. J.P. had one more chance to prove himself and proved himself as unworthy of a job. Dick will prove you all wrong and have this team in the playoffs and he will coach out his extension through 2012.

Some of the unwarranted optimism from some fans gets me. You honestly think because RW DIDN'T fire DJ it was because he wants to hire a head coach next season, when Bill Cowher is willing to return to football? :angry:

Get a freaking grip will ya, the guy didn't fire Jauron because he didn't wanna eat the 4-6 million it would cost to buy DJ out,then he would have to pay someone else to be the head coach,double whammy.

Cowher would want to pick his own GM,which this franchise doesn't even have atm because Wilson is so cheap he doesn't want to hire one. Cowher would want total control over who the team drafted,never happen with Wilson's daughter running the scouting dept and draft.

Any new head coach that was even willing to work in Buffalo would fire every assistant coach on the team save for Bobby April and it would cost more money to hire real assistants.

Bill Cowher nor any other high caliber coach will never, ever , come to Buffalo,PERIOD! The owner won't pay anyone over 2 mil and any coach worth a damn wouldn't come to this team because the front office is so deranged,it would take a major shake up to transform the FO into a properly functioning franchise.

Like I stated earlier to all the Jauron supporters, I'm certain I'll be hearing a different story next season from all of you when the team is lionesque and the home games are not being shown locally. :wallbash:

After 2 head coaching jobs, the fact which stands out is that Jauron has regressed. He has absolutely no excuse whatsoever for the horrible play calling and time mismanagement that happened this year. No one is perfect. The mistakes that Jauron made, or allowed to happen, would be understandable if he was a rookie HC. He isn't. He's had 3 years to prove himself in Buffalo and instead he's produced 7-9 duds each year.

If you can give me any tangible reasons why his 4th year should be any different than the first three, I'm all ears.

Three years of playing not to win gets you 7-9, 7-9. 7-9

Jauron been in the league to long and you cant reteach his coaching skills

so we are going to see the same next year.....and I think that is what makes Bills FANS pissed off

they know Jauron isn't gonna change his style

Maybe Ralph secretly liked what Rich Kotite did with the Jet's and Eagles and feels that DJ could have a chance to match his records:

Of Rich Kotite: "Counting his last seven games with the Eagles, Kotite lost 31 of his final 35 games as an NFL head coach, for a winning percentage of .114. "

<7 reasonable points deleted>

I think you might be missing the most important point:

9. Fans will have 8 months to rationalize and grow hopeful, so it won't hurt the Bottom Line at all

You have your opinion,I have mine. Apparently you are one of the many hysterical,negative fans that post here. I always try to find the positive in situations,and the poster made many good points in his original post. You can go ahead and dump the team if you wish,I'll be rooting for the Bills whether I agree with RW's decisions or not. Their my team. And when they do turn it around you and your whiny friends will be back,bragging how you've "always been a Bills Fan".

Well... :cry:

I have always been a Bills Fan...38 years and counting...You are no more Fan than I...That much I guarantee...

I'll never dump the Bills...I'm neither hysterical nor am I a negative person...I'm actually quite positive about most things in life...But I'm not a fool either and I know NFL Football...I know a loser when I see one, and even if I don't I can just look up the Record...I know when a Team is ill-prepared, unmotivated, and confused...And I know when it's a Coaching problem...And I'm not about to be OK with Dead Dick for another Year...Yes their My Team...But I don't have to like it...I'm not a lemming...

So go on and think what you will about those of us who have chosen to speak our minds against this rediculous decision to keep that career loser...Who knows? Maybe by some miracle or Grace of God Jauron will get better at his job and be able to match wits with the likes of Belichick...If you are such a great Fan I would advise putting some cash down on The Bills for next Season because the payoff will be HUGE should they succeed...There's a reason for that though...And all the blind loyalty in the world is not going to help Dead Dick when when The Patsies come to Town looking to dish out their yearly ass whipping...:censored:

--there is a bit of the beaten wife syndrome with some of you great loyal fans

Give me a break. This board is full of posers who believe that their season tickets or Sunday Ticket subscriptions entitle them to throw out all reason and common sense, rattle their swords by threatening to cancel everything, and heap disrespect on fans who dare to speak in support of this team. Some of you were around during the late Sixties and early Seventies when there was season after season of crushing disappointment. What makes it so different now? The fact that you are spending money? As I suggested in my original post, nobody is forcing you to spend the money.

Let's call your posturing what it is: sandbagging. You're publicly bitching and moaning to buy an option on the right to tell the fans "nyah nyah nyah...told you so" next season if it goes badly. If it goes well, no harm, no foul--you fade back into the crowd of elated posters and all of this will be forgotten.

Here's the calculus, if your brain isn't too addled with delusions of omnipotent power and influence because you've had the same lousy RWS seats for the past 137 seasons, blah blah blah:

Bills fan DOES NOT EQUAL Dick Jauron supporter.

Bills fan DOES NOT EQUAL Ralph Wilson supporter.

You're either in or you're out. If you're a fan, great. If you're no longer a fan, hit the bricks.

Can you tell me the big difference in Atl and Miami this year besides coaching? Good QB play...did we have good QB play? Not even close. When Trent was playing like an NFL QB instead of a scared puppy, we were 4-0. Even then, he wasnt lighting the field up...Bad QB play is the #1 killer of coaches in this league...

So sure, Sparano gets a lot of credit for the turn around, but that team is a completely different team in terms of its roster than it was the year before, and Parcells did that. Pennington, Brown back from injury, Williams, Porter back to form, the trade for Fasano, etc. was the turning point.

Atl just got only Matt Ryan and Michael Turner...hmmm...pretty good players to me...could they have a huge impact on that turn around?

Balt was already talented enough, so I leave them out of above example, but they too found a young QB to keep building on who is just asked not to lose them the game.

All teams do play with injuries, but not team in football has had as many injuries to key starters than Buffalo the last 2 seasons. Last year we had players that would struggle to start in the world league or CFL starting for us. This year our QB, OL, Reed, Schobel, Youboty, Greer, etc. were all hampered a CHUNK of the season, mostly during our season AFTER the 5-1 start and we couldnt recover.

You have good points above.

However, that has nothing to do with the awful coaching job that Jauron did this year. Bad decision after bad decision and consistant clock mismanagement have nothing to do with Pennington, Flacco, Porter, Ryan, Turner, Edwards eratic play or injuries to Bills players. Jauron made mistakes that a coach with his experience simply should

not

make.

Period.

That either is, or is not, true. If you believe that not to be true, fine. Then we agree to disagree.

An excellent post, A-dawg. It's hard for most here to be reasonable when the team tanked, once again, and it was due in large part, to DJ's coaching, it seems. I want DJ gone, and I'm not happy about Ralph's decision to keep him. But, clearly he went through a process before deciding to stick with Dick. :cry:

Ralph "went throught a process before deciding to stick with Dick", is in all honesty, an educated guess and most likely >50% correct. However, my guess is that that guess comes from logic, reasoning and common business sense from the Dean's perspective. I don't think think any of us knows what, if any process, Ralph used. He's 90 years old. Nine zero. Exactly what kind of "process" is a 90 year old mind capable of? My wife's grandmother is 92 and as much as I love and admire her, her mind is clearly not that of even a 70 year old person. She has lived an amazingly rich and storied life, filled with a great many accomplishments. And before she does things with her assets, I'm sure she goes through some sort of "process", the results of which are very questionable in some cases. I rest my analogy.

Ralph "went throught a process before deciding to stick with Dick", is in all honesty, an educated guess and most likely >50% correct. However, my guess is that that guess comes from logic, reasoning and common business sense from the Dean's perspective. I don't think think any of us knows what, if any process, Ralph used. He's 90 years old. Nine zero. Exactly what kind of "process" is a 90 year old mind capable of? My wife's grandmother is 92 and as much as I love and admire her, her mind is clearly not that of even a 70 year old person. She has lived an amazingly rich and storied life, filled with a great many accomplishments. And before she does things with her assets, I'm sure she goes through some sort of "process", the results of which are very questionable in some cases. I rest my analogy.

Fair enough. None of us were in the room for the meetings, of have access to Ralph's brain. If any here do, they are holding out.

Ralph is 90, and it might take him a while to think through what might take one of us 20 minutes. In a way, that might be a plus, because you know his decisions are not likely to be rash (there is certainly a good chance that he HAS a rash, though). Of course, he just might take a long time to make a bad decision...as I think he likely did here.

As far as you grandmother goes, well, I understand. I have some people in my family starting to lose their ability to remember, think clearly, etc...and they aren't 90. I think Ralph has a lot more on the ball than most 90-year old guys, though.

every team does have injuries, but we have been hit exceptionally hard and did not have the depth to overcome it. We don't draft as well as NE...

Cassel was not as big a shock either as it was for casual fan. He was playing lights out in the preseason a couple years ago and rumbles were brewing in fan circles of a QB controversy as absurd as that is.

I know Cassels mom, worked with her on the TV show "My own worst enemy" this season as she was head of wardrobe. Nice lady, all her sons are pro athletes. He was highly recruited coming out of high school and got stuck behind 2 Heisman QB's then Mr. all world himself Brady. It says something to never have started a game in college as a QB and to still get drafted. Chow said Cassel was his #1 priority to sign after the draft becasue he thought no one would have drafted him since he hadnt started a game. He said if he knew he was on someones radar he would have pushed to use a draft pick on him as he knew his capabilities from USC days.

I actually was not surprised by his performance, especially with Welker and Moss to throw to. By the way, off the record, Welker she said is the nicest guy, total class act, humble, and real laid back.

I thought the Bills had very few injuries this year, relatively speaking. The only good player who missed a substantial period of time was Schoebel. Look around the NFL, and you'll see far worse.

I thought the Bills had very few injuries this year, relatively speaking. The only good player who missed a substantial period of time was Schoebel. Look around the NFL, and you'll see far worse.

The Bills injury situation this year was nothing like it was in 2007...which was near catastrophic.

In 2008, the Bills suffered a few critical injuries, that the team was ill-prepared to deal with.

Schobel: The team's premier DE and only bone fide pass rusher

Crowell: An early kick in the nuts. Ellison is a nice backup, but once again, he had to start for the bulk of the season

Reed: His midseason absence against the Jests. Pats* and Browns really showed on the field...the Bills lost all 3 games.

Also, the team suffered a series of injuries in the defensive backfield. Fortunately, the team has some depth there. But, the continued reshuffling of assignments exacerbates the impact of any one injury:

Youboty: Finally looked like the real deal, and did an outstanding job at the nickel. Gone after wk #5

Greer: One of the best cover guys on the team, gone after wk #11

McGee: Missed 2 games, and played on one leg against Miami

Whitner: Missed 3 games, but played injured and hampered the entire second half of the season

Then there was Edwards. I would put this in the "ill-prepared to deal with" category, but I don't really think it cost the team much, in terms of wins and losses, as Trent was playing quite poorly and the team was losing with him at QB. Perhaps he was still feeling the effects of the concussion, but since he played his best game ever against SD (right after returning from the concussion) I question that.

Now, these injuries shouldn't be used as excuses, as all teams have injuries. But, you can see that Schoebel was not the only significant injury, this year.

Guest dog14787
The Bills injury situation this year was nothing like it was in 2007...which was near catastrophic.

In 2008, the Bills suffered a few critical injuries, that the team was ill-prepared to deal with.

Crowell: An early kick in the nuts. Ellison is a nice backup, but once again, he had to start for the bulk of the season

Reed: His midseason absence against the Jests. Pats* and Browns really showed on the field...the Bills lost all 3 games.

Also, the team suffered a series of injuries in the defensive backfield. Fortunately, the team has some depth there. But, the continued reshuffling of assignments exacerbates the impact of any one injury:

Youboty: Finally looked like the real deal, and did an outstanding job at the nickel. Gone after wk #5

Whitner: Missed 3 games, but played injured and hampered the entire second half of the season

Then there was Edwards. I would put this in the "ill-prepared to deal with" category, but I don't really think it cost the team much, in terms of wins and losses, as Trent was playing quite poorly and the team was losing with him at QB. Perhaps he was still feeling the effects of the concussion, but since he played his best game ever against SD (right after returning from the concussion) I question that.

Now, these injuries shouldn't be used as excuses, as all teams have injuries. But, you can see that Schoebel was not the only significant injury, this year.

This team has taken a beating with injuries over the last two years and is a big contributing factor to why Buffalo has struggled and cannot seem to get over the hump.

The upside is fellas like Steve Johnson and Leodis McKelvin get much needed experience that only makes us better in the long run.

Past posts about lack of proper conditioning as being a factor may have some merit.

As far as you grandmother goes, well, I understand. I have some people in my family starting to lose their ability to remember, think clearly, etc...and they aren't 90. I think Ralph has a lot more on the ball than most 90-year old guys, though.

I think Ralph has a lot more on the ball than most 90 year old persons too. But that in and of itself is not necessarily a glowing endorsement of his decision making abilities. Pretty much a moot point as the cards have been dealt and I don't see anything changing until the middle of the 2009 season at the earliest. And there would have to be an utter disaster to force a change even then.

I think Ralph has a lot more on the ball than most 90 year old persons too. But that in and of itself is not necessarily a glowing endorsement of his decision making abilities. Pretty much a moot point as the cards have been dealt and I don't see anything changing until the middle of the 2009 season at the earliest. And there would have to be an utter disaster to force a change even then.

I can't disagree with any of that.

From my point of view, what are the Bill's real options for coaching?

There will be a lot of coaching talent this year and next. Unfortunately, I've come to the conclusion that the Bills will not spend the necessary money to go and get any of it. Anybody who thinks we're going to spend big money on the likes of Cowher, or Holgrem is seriously kidding themselves....and I doubt anyone is going to come to Buffalo for the great weather or income taxbreak.

The same holds true for talent on the team. Many times I think the Bills draft to not necessarily fortify their team, but manage the leverage they have with restricted FA's, and also players that will hit free agency in the near future....basically just enough to keep them in a good financial situation.

For me, I'm sorry, but I feel like the Bills need to earn my fanship back. I feel like I've held on to "hope" for too long. It would be a different story if they were making significant moves, but things just were not working out....BUT, instead, they do just enough to keep us hanging on.

Dean, a lot of those guys are JAGs ("just a guy"). Crowell, Greer, Reed, etc. are middle tier players who ain't that great. Look at the Chargers -- LT is a shell of himself, the best rusher in the league (Merriman) misses the season, Gates is hobbled all season, and ... I'm sure there are a bunch of Angelo Crowells on that team that I don't even know about. Half the Broncos defense went out. Big Ben in Pitt seemed to be hurt all season. The Pats lost top-tier players (Brady, Adalius Thomas, Maroney) and Richard Seymour was nowhere near healthy for the first few games.

Dean, a lot of those guys are JAGs ("just a guy"). Crowell, Greer, Reed, etc. are middle tier players who ain't that great. Look at the Chargers -- LT is a shell of himself, the best rusher in the league (Merriman) misses the season, Gates is hobbled all season, and ... I'm sure there are a bunch of Angelo Crowells on that team that I don't even know about. Half the Broncos defense went out. Big Ben in Pitt seemed to be hurt all season. The Pats lost top-tier players (Brady, Adalius Thomas, Maroney) and Richard Seymour was nowhere near healthy for the first few games.

The difference between Crowell and Ellison is HUGE. He may be a JAG, but he is in a different class than the alternatives.

The DBs may be JAGS, but when the injuries pile up, and guys (other JAGs?) have to move out of their natural positions, it can make a real impact.

Still, injuries are part of the game, and the Bills weren't decimated by them, as they were in 2007. But, I wanted to point out that, even though the guys who were injured might not be stars, the damage done was more than their quality status might indicate.

Give me a break. This board is full of posers who believe that their season tickets or Sunday Ticket subscriptions entitle them to throw out all reason and common sense, rattle their swords by threatening to cancel everything, and heap disrespect on fans who dare to speak in support of this team.

Yeah, those aristocratic season ticket holders and sunday ticket subscribers with their HUNDREDS of dollars of disposable income! Who do they think they are threatening to withhold payment to Ralph Wilson? You are laughably pathetic. You do realize that those embarrassingly rich fans are the people who make it possible for you to watch the Buffalo Bills for free in your comfy chair, don't you? We get enough of curmudgeonese from Ralph, save it for your fellow broken souls.

Yeah, those aristocratic season ticket holders and sunday ticket subscribers with their HUNDREDS of dollars of disposable income! Who do they think they are threatening to withhold payment to Ralph Wilson? You are laughably pathetic. You do realize that those embarrassingly rich fans are the people who make it possible for you to watch the Buffalo Bills for free in your comfy chair, don't you? We get enough of curmudgeonese from Ralph, save it for your fellow broken souls.

props to BADOL, haters!

:sick: