From the Tuesday Morning QB on ESPN.com

Heels20X6

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...terbrook/081216

Sour Call of the Week: Leading 27-24 at Jersey/B, Buffalo faced second-and-5 on its 27, one snap before the two-minute warning. To that point, Bills rushing had been magnificent, gaining 5.8 yards per carry, while Bills passing had been dreadful, gaining 3.3 yards per attempt. Power back Marshawn Lynch was having a monster game, with 127 yards rushing; quarterback J.P. Losman was having an awful game, and had already fumbled twice. "As long as they don't throw, the Bills will win," my 13-year-old, Spenser, opined. Bills coach Dick "Cheerio, Chaps" Jauron called a pass: Losman scrambled and fumbled, and the ball was returned by the Jets for the winning touchdown. TMQ's immutable Law of the Obvious holds: Sometimes all a team needs to do is rush up the middle for no gain, and everything will be fine. Had the Bills sent Lynch straight ahead, victory was likely.

But that doesn't begin to express how sour the Buffalo coaching decision was. This situation can justify a play-fake to throw deep, because a deep completion ices the contest. That is not what Jauron called. He called an ultra-short flat pass to blocking back Corey McIntyre. Buffalo had run the play earlier in the game, and McIntyre, one of the slowest gentlemen ever to don pads in the NFL, caught for no gain. On the botched down that won it for Jersey/B, McIntyre was executing his pattern 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage -- if he'd caught the ball, he would have lost yardage. So the Bills weren't going deep to ice, they were trying to throw behind the line, exactly where run-blitzers were likely to be in that situation. (The flare to a blocking back works when defenders are retreating in an expected pass situation.) To top it off, Losman sprinted backward 10 yards and then waved the ball around in one hand before fumbling, instead of just throwing out of bounds. Ye gods. Ay caramba. "Cheerio, Chaps" Jauron is so completely, utterly out of it he even told reporters afterward that it was "one of those times in the game that's good for a pass."

Sour Call of the Week: Leading 27-24 at Jersey/B, Buffalo faced second-and-5 on its 27, one snap before the two-minute warning. To that point, Bills rushing had been magnificent, gaining 5.8 yards per carry, while Bills passing had been dreadful, gaining 3.3 yards per attempt. Power back Marshawn Lynch was having a monster game, with 127 yards rushing; quarterback J.P. Losman was having an awful game, and had already fumbled twice. "As long as they don't throw, the Bills will win," my 13-year-old, Spenser, opined. Bills coach Dick "Cheerio, Chaps" Jauron called a pass: Losman scrambled and fumbled, and the ball was returned by the Jets for the winning touchdown. TMQ's immutable Law of the Obvious holds: Sometimes all a team needs to do is rush up the middle for no gain, and everything will be fine. Had the Bills sent Lynch straight ahead, victory was likely.

But that doesn't begin to express how sour the Buffalo coaching decision was. This situation can justify a play-fake to throw deep, because a deep completion ices the contest. That is not what Jauron called. He called an ultra-short flat pass to blocking back Corey McIntyre. Buffalo had run the play earlier in the game, and McIntyre, one of the slowest gentlemen ever to don pads in the NFL, caught for no gain. On the botched down that won it for Jersey/B, McIntyre was executing his pattern 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage -- if he'd caught the ball, he would have lost yardage. So the Bills weren't going deep to ice, they were trying to throw behind the line, exactly where run-blitzers were likely to be in that situation. (The flare to a blocking back works when defenders are retreating in an expected pass situation.) To top it off, Losman sprinted backward 10 yards and then waved the ball around in one hand before fumbling, instead of just throwing out of bounds. Ye gods. Ay caramba. "Cheerio, Chaps" Jauron is so completely, utterly out of it he even told reporters afterward that it was "one of those times in the game that's good for a pass."

;)

he's right, but the last quote he meant because the 2 minute warning would probably have hit even if there was an incompletion - meaning that it was the one time left in the game where it would make sense to consider passing from a clock management perspective

Stat of the Week No. 5: In two starts, J.P. Losman has four interceptions and six fumbles.

DAMN THAT JASON PETERS!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Stat of the Week No. 6: Offense scores 27 points against a team with a winning record. When was the last time that happened? If Dick knew as much as the 13 year old in the original post did, it'd have been enough to win.

He's written about the irrational belief in the intertwined fates before, but I'm still not that means he's a fan. It may just be civic pride.

I actually read that story when it came out. I e-mailed a friend who works at ESPN to complain that I have to go to the Atlantic to find Easterbrook actually writing about football. Why is he so obsessed with intergalactic combat?

Coming from Gregg "blitzing is the stupidest thing ever" Easterbrook, this comment has no credibility. The whole play worked because the Jets blitzed. For him to criticize the Bills on a play that only failed because of a blitz is the height of chutzpah.

I thought Bills players coached themselves. Easterbrook just confirms this.

I can't imagine being in that locker room and going to practice with DJ. Any shred of respect those players had for him went out the window with such an asinine play call on Sunday.

Besides, DJ has the audacity to say perhaps some of the most arrogant things when he's clearly failed. I'm talking about not "destroying" Marshawn, even though ML hasn't had more than 25 carries in a game. That came after the SF debacle.

And this week, saying it's a good call if it works to throw a FB pass on 2nd and 5 with 2:06 remaining. Well of course, if it works. It's also a good call to throw 80 yard bombs when they work. The likelihood that it works is minimal.

Coming from Gregg "blitzing is the stupidest thing ever" Easterbrook, this comment has no credibility. The whole play worked because the Jets blitzed. For him to criticize the Bills on a play that only failed because of a blitz is the height of chutzpah.

The Jets runblitzed. CM was so slow the play would have been like a lateral. Because the defenders were at the line and waiting for a ball carrier near the line, the play was doomed to fail even if he caught the ball. The other important factor is CM is slow and has stone hands. The reporter argued that a long downfield pass, which would have sealed the game, might have been defendable.

And to an earlier poster's question if we have to rehash this, I say yes. I have a deluded fantasy that if fans complain loud enough, someone at OBD will take notice and perhaps even one more "negative" post will convince the numb brains that they have to get DJ off the field. C'mon, he said "this is one of those times in a game when it's good to pass"! No, DJ, it's NOT.

The Jets runblitzed. CM was so slow the play would have been like a lateral. Because the defenders were at the line and waiting for a ball carrier near the line, the play was doomed to fail even if he caught the ball. The other important factor is CM is slow and has stone hands. The reporter argued that a long downfield pass, which would have sealed the game, might have been defendable.

And to an earlier poster's question if we have to rehash this, I say yes. I have a deluded fantasy that if fans complain loud enough, someone at OBD will take notice and perhaps even one more "negative" post will convince the numb brains that they have to get DJ off the field. C'mon, he said "this is one of those times in a game when it's good to pass"! No, DJ, it's NOT.

I am pretty sure that Mangini said that the Bills would either run to the right or do a rollout pass and that was the defense they were running.

Sour call of the week only? I was hoping for "Worst play of the season so far"

In a strange way this play could save Jauron's butt (although I hope not). Wilson might look at all that went wrong on that play and conclude that at least 3 players made big mistakes on that play. This would support Wilson's argument that "talent" is the issue.

Again, hope not but you never know.

By Easterbrook's definition, they didn't blitz. He defines a blitz (as many did originally) as 6 or more rushers. That didn't happen on this play.

He hates all-out blitzes in predictable situations. So do I.

he's right, but the last quote he meant because the 2 minute warning would probably have hit even if there was an incompletion - meaning that it was the one time left in the game where it would make sense to consider passing from a clock management perspective

Thats not true....check the play Losman is being sacked at 2:04...if he throws it away its incomplete at about 2:02....

By Easterbrook's definition, they didn't blitz. He defines a blitz (as many did originally) as 6 or more rushers. That didn't happen on this play.

He hates all-out blitzes in predictable situations. So do I.

I'll admit that I think Easterbrook is terrible as a football writer (about policy issues, he can be good). In my opinion, he knows far less than he claims, and anyway Mangini said he expected a good possibility of a QB rollout. Moreover, the blitz did rush 6+! And despite what the cognoscenti say, a run blitz all of a sudden becomes a regular old blitz if the team decides to pass ...