A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

Naw, just that my hypocrisy detector went off there.

It was right about this number of starts that you and others started calling for the head of the QB. Riddle me this: could JP play any WORSE than Edwards has the past four weeks? I don't think so.

Difference between the two...JPs errors were errors of commission...he would try to make a play because he knew he could. Sometimes that backfired. Edwards errors are errors of omission. He's afraid to throw the ball but he does after thinking that split second and then he's too late, or he checks down much too quickly. He's playing scared and cannot anticipate a receiver coming open...witness the non TD pass to Evans.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone please add some comments about Lynch. He was an absolute beast last night. Some of those runs were the stuff of legend. The ~20something yarder that he almost scored on... wow. The dump off that was so poorly thrown he fell down catching it, but still got up made the guy immediately miss then runs for the first down was crazy. The kid just played his ass off. The one TD, somehow running through 7 defenders... unbelievable.

I'm am officially off the Jauron bandwagon, as well. To blow the game like he did was absolutely unforgivable.

It's very simple with regards to Trent. If the coaches have lost all confidence in him, such that they no longer trust him to play QB; they need to pull him. I don't care who they put in. Would you have a RB in the game that you didn't want to run the ball or a WR that you were afraid to throw to. No. So, either let Trent continue to throw, interceptions be damned or pull him. It's that simple, really.

Someone please add some comments about Lynch. He was an absolute beast last night. Some of those runs were the stuff of legend. The ~20something yarder that he almost scored on... wow. The dump off that was so poorly thrown he fell down catching it, but still got up made the guy immediately miss then runs for the first down was crazy. The kid just played his ass off. The one TD, somehow running through 7 defenders... unbelievable.

I'm am officially off the Jauron bandwagon, as well. To blow the game like he did was absolutely unforgivable.

It's very simple with regards to Trent. If the coaches have lost all confidence in him, such that they no longer trust him to play QB; they need to pull him. I don't care who they put in. Would you have a RB in the game that you didn't want to run the ball or a WR that you were afraid to throw to. No. So, either let Trent continue to throw, interceptions be damned or pull him. It's that simple, really.

Agree...

Gameballs to Lynch, McGee and McCorner.

many thought Leodis was a bust but it takes time for a returner to gel with his blockers, teh wedge is now waiting for him instead of being 20 yards in front of him

What is yup with Hardy? Did he even play yesterday? Not one attempted pass to Evans its time to start slanting him and using roscoe or Johnson as a welker type. If Edwards wont throw deep than do something creative to create clear crisp short passing.

I think the play calling has gone totally down the hill and it seems Trent is audible out more and more, maybe its time to take that option away.

When will we see a pass attempt from the Wildcat or any other sort of imaginative play calling. During the game on the radio side that kept playing a replay of Reed reverse flee flicker back to Kelly to Beebe down the field. Its not all about gimmicks but the total lack of any sort of non vanilla play calling is driving me nuts.

I feel like the season is now officially lost and at times hope for better draft position than wins but if we are going to get decent free agents we have to show we have moxy etc

Business guys should not be running a football team, we need a REAL GM who can make intelligent decisions on contracts etc. Jauron should be on the hot seat not sitting comfortable with that 3 year extension.

Last Thought: PLEASE RALPH sell the team to Kelly and company.

3) I have seen a lot of bad defensive ends in my day, but Denney and Kelsay are so bad that they must actually make our opponents laugh. Seriously, they are human punching bags. Kelsay, if possible, is even worse than Denney. It is like he isn't even on the field. Un f censored.gif ing believeable.

Even Tony Kornheiser noticed last night, "look how skinny these guys are." Undersized DE's have to be Kiwanuka or Freeney fast to be effective at that size. Neither are. The lack of a dependable pass rush is one of the many problems the Bills have.

5) I have come to a conclusion about alcohol and the Bills that I thought I would share. I have seriously cut down on my drinking. In fact, the only time that I drank and watched the Bills this season was at RWS. That said, when watching the Bills, I recommend either not drinking at all, or drinking to the extent that you completely pass out so you are spared the emotional free fall from euphoria to servere depression. Of course, forget about driving if you go with the second option.

Looks like I picked a good week to start my antibiotics.

my thoughts on the game 1. Trent Edwards has no confidence in most of his receivers and that's thrown off his confidence to throw the ball. Obviously he's in the mode of "Lee will be covered so I need to find one of these other guys" and he's not in a comfort zone with the other guys so his timing is off and he's dumping it down more often. One would hope he just needs time and more reps to find it again.

2. I think M. Lynch pussyfoots it too much at time. He's often trying to be too fine at the line before he slams it up in there. Once you are at second level you can try and make people miss, but he needs to hit the line hard ALL the time. He did a much better job of that in the second half, after Fred Jackson came in during the first half and showed him how to get it done. I think he will improve this in time.

3. The O-line is capable of run blocking, at least against the Browns.

4. Defensive secondary is really a problem right now, also definitely need better DE's.

5. The bills desperately need a center. Maybe Duke will continue to get better, he certainly improved after a lousy start but I'm not sure he's the man for the job.

6. I can write off of Buffalo's mistakes/crappy play to a team trying to grow up and find itself. This was a good game for that to take place. BUT, Jauron ruined the game by settling for a 47 yard field goal into the wind. Did anyone actually think odds were in favor of Lindell making that kick? Jauron had more than enough time to do a play action or some other safe throw. Edwards is a smart guy and seemed to find a better footing in the second half. Safe throw (play action) or throw it away. I'm sure he could have done that. At least get one more first down before handing it to Lindell. Jauron's mentality just can't be good for the team's psyche long term.

I cannot get over the feeling that we got exactly what we paid for with Jauron. We paid cheap for a coach that was not in the running for any head coaching job and he has met his capabilities which are mediocre at best.

I was embarrassed for Edwards the way he was being disected on tv. Basically, he panics and cannot make decisions; not good for a QB. The first play of the game he starred down the receiver and threw it at Shawn Rogers as he is being blocked by 2 guys with a third standing there watching. The announcers said you can't blame that one on Edwards, well he had plenty of space to avoid Rogers.

Lynch was the main reason we were in the game at all. He made something out of nothing countless times. What an effort!

Lost in my disbelief that we settled for a 47 yard fg when we had 1rst down with over a minute left and a timeout, was my disbelief that Reggie Corner whiffed on a sack attempt that would have put Cleveland in a deep hole. At least get a shoulder on him Reggie!!!!

Not one toss to Lee Evans against one of the lowest ranked pass defenses in the league.

Props to Mitchell, Stroud and McGee. All were big time last night.

McKelvin is not a bust. He played some good corner last night as well as good kick returning.

Cub fans have nothing on us!!!

2. We can't just go into next year with Trent as our uncontested starter. We actually have guys who can play on our offense. But Trent played super SCARED after the 3 picks. Bad enough to start so poorly. But the kid showed no moxie by not fighting thru it and continue to throw downfield. He showed me nothing. We need to find someone who can continue to make plays and not go into a shell. I have never seen a QB so scared ever in a game. It did not look like any of our coaches went up to Trent and tried to clear his head. The whole QB situation has become pathetic.

The hangdog look as he walked on and off the field pretty much told everything about his confidence.

I cannot get over the feeling that we got exactly what we paid for with Jauron. We paid cheap for a coach that was not in the running for any head coaching job and he has met his capabilities which are mediocre at best.

I was embarrassed for Edwards the way he was being disected on tv. Basically, he panics and cannot make decisions; not good for a QB. The first play of the game he starred down the receiver and threw it at Shawn Rogers as he is being blocked by 2 guys with a third standing there watching. The announcers said you can't blame that one on Edwards, well he had plenty of space to avoid Rogers.

Lynch was the main reason we were in the game at all. He made something out of nothing countless times. What an effort!

Lost in my disbelief that we settled for a 47 yard fg when we had 1rst down with over a minute left and a timeout, was my disbelief that Reggie Corner whiffed on a sack attempt that would have put Cleveland in a deep hole. At least get a shoulder on him Reggie!!!!

Not one toss to Lee Evans against one of the lowest ranked pass defenses in the league.

Props to Mitchell, Stroud and McGee. All were big time last night.

McKelvin is not a bust. He played some good corner last night as well as good kick returning.

Cub fans have nothing on us!!!

I can't recall being down as low as I was last night in quite some time. I think you're always concerned when you see the Bills on a big game on Sunday or Monday night, because they typically underperform by game end. As poor as the executuon was at times, I can't get past the coaching issues any more, and Lord know, I want to try. I want to believe we're within spitting distance of being respectable, note: Not dominant, just respectable. There have been times this year where we looked like we could be competitive, and while the teams we beat are what they are, you gotta play who's in front of you and not apologize for it.

Of course there were many issues last night, and 4 turnovers is just unreal (coupled with our two near-miss interceptions), but the one major galling issue I have is this. Trent's third pick of the night. 3 and 1 from your 9, you go empty backfield, with a 2nd year qb who has turned the ball over multiple times over the past 3 or 4 games, abnd two times in the last 9 minutes. You think the kid might be a little rattled? A little gun shy? So....you dial up a pass play in that scenario? 27 feet from your end zone, blowing a time out in the process? In a close game, with what has been a non-existent offense for the past 3 weeks? Against a team known for surrendering more ground than the French in WW2?

As I've said so many time over the past decade, I know you CAN do it, I just don't know why you DO it.

Consider the next 6 games his audition to be a starter going into 2009. If he sucks, he competes with some free agent in camp. If he makes progress, he's still the starter.

Not being an athlete, one of the more interesting things I learned about sports was pointed out to me during a golf tournament. When it became clear that I was out of a hole, I used to press, even though there was no way to win the hole. Someone explained the obvious to me: "You're out of the hole, so use the next few shots to practice for the next hole. Yes, you can make five more miserable shots, but focus on practicing your swing, and not the results of the shots."

I hope Jauron has Trent spend the last eight games practicing, which is the smart thing to do at this juncture because, let's face it, the hole that is the 2008 season is over. Maybe we can string together a couple of year end-wins against scrubs to carry the team over to next year.

Naw, just that my hypocrisy detector went off there.

It was right about this number of starts that you and others started calling for the head of the QB. Riddle me this: could JP play any WORSE than Edwards has the past four weeks? I don't think so.

should he could of, all you need to do is look at some of his starts in 2005. With that being said, I think it is pretty accurate to say & Edwards & Jauron lost the game for the bills today. I just do not understand how Edwards can play so bad. I just hope these are growing pains. Even if Edwards does not pan out, I still do not Losman as my QB.

As far as Jauron, I dont know where we go from here. I am really starting to hate the guy. It is almost like the bills are playing with one hand tied behind their back because we have a retard for a headcoach. Take your Yale Education & shove it right up your ass.

I can't recall being down as low as I was last night in quite some time. I think you're always concerned when you see the Bills on a big game on Sunday or Monday night, because they typically underperform by game end. As poor as the executuon was at times, I can't get past the coaching issues any more, and Lord know, I want to try. I want to believe we're within spitting distance of being respectable, note: Not dominant, just respectable. There have been times this year where we looked like we could be competitive, and while the teams we beat are what they are, you gotta play who's in front of you and not apologize for it.

Of course there were many issues last night, and 4 turnovers is just unreal (coupled with our two near-miss interceptions), but the one major galling issue I have is this. Trent's third pick of the night. 3 and 1 from your 9, you go empty backfield, with a 2nd year qb who has turned the ball over multiple times over the past 3 or 4 games, abnd two times in the last 9 minutes. You think the kid might be a little rattled? A little gun shy? So....you dial up a pass play in that scenario? 27 feet from your end zone, blowing a time out in the process? In a close game, with what has been a non-existent offense for the past 3 weeks? Against a team known for surrendering more ground than the French in WW2?

As I've said so many time over the past decade, I know you CAN do it, I just don't know why you DO it.

I can, last year on monday night when we played the cowboys.

Good job, Bill.

I guess I will just share the few thoughts I haven't spelled out elsewhere, here.

1. This was, by far, the best game in a long time, for much of this team. It is a shame that an absolutely horrible performance from Trent, and some chicken-s#it coaching at the end of the game, ruined what could have been a really joyous event.

2. The offensive line was, for the most part, simply outstanding last night. The pass protection was as good as I have ever seen from a Bills OL.

3. Any more questions about Lynch? He and Jackson not only ran, extremely well, but Marshawn made at least two sensational catches on putrid short passes from Edwards, which he then turned into some major yardage.

4. Nice to see a rookie step up and help on offense. Steve Johnson did a real nice job. Now it is obvious that this team really misses Reed, but using Marshawn and Johnson, helped pick up some of the slack.

5. Also, last night makes it clear I think, how powerless a WR is to control their own destiny (except by making plays when they get the chance), when the QB doesn't throw their way. It is shocking that Edwards ignored Evans all night.

6. Do we still think Ko Simpson is a bum? This is the second straight outstanding performance from Ko. The guy is starting to play the way I expected him to, based on his rookie year effort.

7. Basically, all the DBs performed well, IMO. With Whitner out most of the game (and not playing at full strength when he was in) and Greer down, the rookies, and backups really stepped-up. I thought it was a pretty inspired performance from that group. There were a couple of time when coverage was too soft, but that is nothing new for a Bills D. One thing to note, though, is that nearly every BIG play by the Browns offense was when Whitner was not on the field. I'm not sure he would have been much good, with that bad shoulder, had he been on the field, but it is interesting to note that nonetheless.

8. The linebackers, as a unit, were very good and Mitchell is a monster on the blitz. Man, that guy can really bring it. The Bills have needed that kind of energy for some time. (The great play from the DT position has already been noted, I think.)

9. This may sound odd, but given how horribly Trent played for most of the game, Turk called a fairly interesting game, IMO. Now, Trent checked down at almost every attempt to throw a pass downfield, but Turk made sure that that outlet was available for the shaky Edwards. They kept blasting away with the run, and kept things interesting despite wearing the handcuffs supplied by Trent's play. Now, I have already noted the play calling on the last drive was horrid, so let's just leave it as that.

10. With the exception of the last FG attempt, the ST were spectacular. This should serve as another reminder of why guys like Corto, Costanzo and Wendling are on the team. They are STARTERS on this team...that is they rule on Special Teams.

OK, that's all for now. I must go back to weeping.

3) I have seen a lot of bad defensive ends in my day, but Denney and Kelsay are so bad that they must actually make our opponents laugh. Seriously, they are human punching bags. Kelsay, if possible, is even worse than Denney. It is like he isn't even on the field. Un f :thumbdown: ing believeable.

And Chris Ellis still isn't on the field. Not once did I see Kelsay do anything. Being at the game, it's amazing how a player on the DL can do nothing.

4) McKelvin is amazingly fluid on returns. He almost ran back 3 last night. On one, he cut right, and if he would have cut left he was gone.

Before the kick return, McKelvin was out there waving his arms up and down to get the crowd going. This happened after the Browns RB ran for a long score. I remember yelling "do something" and moments later I watched from the tunnel side EZ as he galloped to the TD. Needless to say, he did something. I was impressed with him.

9) Jauron is a franchise killer; a walking loss. Good God. 0:)

There are those calling for Trent's head, and after that first quarter, I wasn't happy. One thing I expect a coach to do is motivate the troops, like a leader must do when things get bad. We've been told that Jauron works well when he's teaching young players. Apparently, that doesn't extend to the field. His handling of a young QB (and Turk deserves blame too) is completely negligent. I cannot believe how little confidence they had in him.

My friend I go to the games with told me after the 3rd and 1 when they went shotgun, that the OL went over to DJ and really gave him a hard time, presumably about the call to pass. Players don't do that unless things are ridiculous.

My fear/hope is that some players start getting irate with this gameplanning and voice their displeasure. I know they don't have all the horses, but it's clear the coaches aren't putting the players in a position to perform. Yes, the players deserve some blame, but ultimately we're witnessing what occurred in Chicago between 99-03.

1) Nobody in the history of football has ever needed a field goal against the Bills and missed it. Smart opposing coaches will start sending in the kicker from 90 yards and be successful.

That's funny - I always tell my kids that when another team is lined up for an important/long kick and they're trying to be optimistic about a potential miss - "Kickers *always* make big kicks against the Bills"

5) I have come to a conclusion about alcohol and the Bills that I thought I would share. I have seriously cut down on my drinking. In fact, the only time that I drank and watched the Bills this season was at RWS. That said, when watching the Bills, I recommend either not drinking at all, or drinking to the extent that you completely pass out so you are spared the emotional free fall from euphoria to servere depression. Of course, forget about driving if you go with the second option.

Ha - I seriously considered not drinking at all last night - had a bad feeling about the game and knew as usual alcohol would inevitably double/triple the depression if/when they lost. I did end up having a few but luckily for me decided to stop at halftime.

9) Let it be known.....I have changed my mind about Jauron. He is THE perfect coach for the Bills. Face it, Bills Fans are masochists, and this loser is the ideal coach to help us suffer yet more.

0:)

- Like everyone else - real dread started to creep in for me when Rogers owned Preston those first few plays - but it was good to see the OL actually come around do some positive things. Peters seemed to be especially fired up - a few plays he aggressively jumped (I dare say Coy-Wire-like) on top of or over piles down the field - that of course in and of itself doesn't do anything, but at least he was running with the play and showing some emotion - not like most of the times when the Bills OL is standing there like idiots with their hands on their hips watching as spectators when the play is just ending

- Amazing the success the defense can have when they put some pressure up the middle. For the rest of the year I would love to see Fewell just attack w/ abandon - F--- it, what have you got to lose - at least make it friggin exciting

- Good teams have playmakers that make game changing plays and the Bills just so much lack that. Both the McKelvin and Simpson almost-interceptions were extremely tough plays - but teams that win MAKE those plays (see Palamalu)

- Was glad to see Johson in there and even Jackson at receiver at times. Fug Hardy.

- It was nice that the D didn't give up a demoralizing nine minute drive to end the game in the last quarter, but it's nice that the Bills are so adept at blowing games they can draw from any number of scenarios from their bag of disgrace :thumbdown:

- For the last series, it is not surprising to me that they played it that way. The way things were going the whole game it just seemed there was more potential for a negative rather than positive play every time we went back to pass. I did think they might take a shot to Evans in the end zone on 3rd down - maybe even try to get a PI. As it stands - the thing that diappointed me most on those 3 plays is that we didn't get more yards on those runs - just 5 more yards could have made the difference. Regardless of the play calling - in the end, after opening holes all game, they ran for 5 yards in 3 plays when it really mattered the most - that is simply not good enough.

- Call me a pessimist but I had almost no hope Lindell was going to make that kick. I actually turned the channel just as I could tell it was going to miss - and (purposely) haven't watched any replays - so I don't even know if it was close or not. Can anyone that was there comment on how hard the wind was really blowing?

- My kids are 10 and for years have watched games wth me since they were just toddlers - and I've told them for years "It's too bad your team has never made the playoffs in your lifetime for as long as you've been aware of them" - had to say that again this AM - how depressing

I thought the O line played well last night. They gave Trent all the time he needed and they opened some holes for Marshawn & Freddy. The defense played very good as well. I know they didn't sack Brady Quinn but think about all the injury to our secondary and look at how few 3rd down conversions the Browns made last night and I don't think anyone can complain. I agree that Trent looked bad you can't turn the ball over four times and expect to win a game in the NFL. Even against a bad team. As far as the coaching staff I don't disagree with running the ball 3 times at the end of the game because if you throw a pick (and the way Trent was playing last night it would have been a good possibility) game over. At least you’re putting your game in the hands of your kicker who has been good up until last night. There is no reason this game should have been close I don't know what the problem is? Maybe too conservative play calling maybe Trent has no confidence in his receivers or line or maybe he is just missing his best receiver (Josh Reed). Think how good we were with Reed in the game, all the short routes across the middle and YAC.

I think this young team can't handle pressure and once it becomes evident they will not make the playoffs you'll see a more relaxed team and better playing.

I think CLE was pleased with Quinn. His stats were lousy (I think Braylon Edwards is dogging it, reminiscent of CIN's Ocho Dinko) , but I feel that he had good awareness for his short time as starter. It remains to be seen if he can pitch the long balls, or if he's a fluke like a pitcher called up from the minors who looks good because nobody has the book on him yet.

I think CLE was pleased with Quinn. His stats were lousy (I think Braylon Edwards is dogging it, reminiscent of CIN's Ocho Dinko) , but I feel that he had good awareness for his short time as starter. It remains to be seen if he can pitch the long balls, or if he's a fluke like a pitcher called up from the minors who looks good because nobody has the book on him yet.

Do you think Edwards dogged it, last night? He dropped a few (as is his custom, this year), but he looked to be running good routes, and such. Maybe I missed something, though.

Do you think Edwards dogged it, last night? He dropped a few (as is his custom, this year), but he looked to be running good routes, and such. Maybe I missed something, though.

I did. He's been in a snit for a while - I smelled the childishness of a Chad Johnson about him.

Who really knows?

I also think some players are angling for the coming uncapped year - but I've little idea of the ins and outs of that, how player's agents are working it.

Trent has not been right since the San Diego game. He was afraid to throw downfield last night. He has lost his feel for the game. I think he'll get it back, but I believe it will take an offseason for his head to clear.

The refs did contribute to the loss. That holding penalty on the 95 yard drive completely changed the game.

Although the interception on 3rd and 1 with an empty backfield...ridiculous play call. Turk needs therapy for calling that play. It was designed NOT to fool anybody. Maybe they should've run a reverse out of that formation.

How about the kickoff after Leodis's return.....didn't even make it to the 40. One play later and a bad call on our Mitchell, they were inside our 30. Unbelievable that you can't shove a guy who is in bounds.

I had zero confidence that Lindell would make that kick. Can't believe they didn't at least try a pass to get closer. Jauron is a gutless girly man for not trying to get closer.