A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

I did. He's been in a snit for a while - I smelled the childishness of a Chad Johnson about him.

Who really knows?

I also think some players are angling for the coming uncapped year - but I've little idea of the ins and outs of that, how player's agents are working it.

I didn't notice it...but, that doesn't mean it isn't true. I have noticed that Edwards is TO class, when it comes to dropping passes.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even Tony Kornheiser noticed last night, "look how skinny these guys are." Undersized DE's have to be Kiwanuka or Freeney fast to be effective at that size. Neither are. The lack of a dependable pass rush is one of the many problems the Bills have.

Could not agree more about the DE's. It is the #1 reason we get no turnovers. You might as well put 300 pounders on the edge to stop the run. On top of that, there were at least 2 times where Kelsay and Denney completely over-ran the play and let Quinn break contain for big yardage.

It is amazing that the Giants lost a Hall of Famer in Strahan and one of the best pass rushers in the League in Umenyiora, and they still have DE's who can get to the Qb.

My friend I go to the games with told me after the 3rd and 1 when they went shotgun, that the OL went over to DJ and really gave him a hard time, presumably about the call to pass. Players don't do that unless things are ridiculous.

Interesting. Anyone else notice this?

Jauron is a franchise killer; a walking loss. Good God. :thumbsup:

....Thanks to all of you who, like me, will stay with this team until we die.

1. Jauron, franchise killer. Now that is perfect.

Seems perfect for an owner who is trying to eek his way out of Buffalo without a bounty on his or his family's heads. Kill the fan base and make everybody wish they'd go away, so when they DO, you don't have as much rage directed at your fat ugly, and very RICH, children. Ralph might be smarter than I give him credit for.

2. Until WE die? How about until the Bills franchise dies and becomes the Toronto Thundercats or some sh--? You still gonna bleed for them then?

3. Freddie Jackson. When he is allowed to play, the Bills are twice the offensive threat they are without him. Yet we haven't seen him in four weeks, until late in the Third last night, when, oh hey, he got us back into the game in like two runs. All this talk of benching Trent, throwing the O-Line under the bus (guilty) all falls away when you look at what the Bills look like with Freddie IN there, and what they look like without him in there. Yeah, he fumbled. But Trent probably wouldn't have been under so much pressure to throw had he had Freddie in the backfield from the start of the game. The whole complexion woulda been different. The proof is in the game film. Night and Day, Freddie and no Freddie.

Interesting. What did he do? I didn't notice him being very active.

He was all over the field. He helped break up several throws (with McGee) one or two of them in the EZ. He delivered a few nice hits, too.

Could not agree more about the DE's. It is the #1 reason we get no turnovers. You might as well put 300 pounders on the edge to stop the run. On top of that, there were at least 2 times where Kelsay and Denney completely over-ran the play and let Quinn break contain for big yardage.

It is amazing that the Giants lost a Hall of Famer in Strahan and one of the best pass rushers in the League in Umenyiora, and they still have DE's who can get to the Qb.

Yep, the Bills are most likely to see many more naked bootlegs until they stop it.

If Corner had blasted Quinn instead of whiffing..I still can't believe that play.

Trent needs more work, but I like the way he takes control. They should let him open up a bit. Even another dump off to Lynch would have been better than just running in to the line when they were trying to go ahead late. I had a BAD feeling about a kick from that distance.

The only thing Jauron did right all night was to leave TE in. If they pull him all they are doing is repeated the mistakes they made with JP.

The only time JP should take the field is if TE gets hurt.

I disagree. When you are 5-4 and in the hunt. The object is to win games to get to the playoffs. If ever there was a scenario to bench TE and let JP play, last night was it. There were incredible efforts last night that went wasted because our coaching staff was gutless. JP should have started the second half or late in the 3rd.

I like TE, he'll be fine. But the object here is to win. Not grant your 2nd year QB training wheels. An essentially rookie QB outplayed him last night. There's ways to help a QB who is struggling and/or new. None of that was exhibited last night by our coaches. It seemed like a "let's just keep our fingers crossed here" strategy.

That was straight up BS.

C

Bill, good analysis , one thing on #6 ---- after the play ended on one of our kick returns one of our guys was getting into it with a Browns player (griffin i believe #53) and it all broke up, and griffin slapped/punched our guy in the helmet right in front of the officials, and no one called it. I am not saying the Refs screwed us to the point where we lost, but man the Browns seemed to be getting away with a lot of shots after the whistle

I saw that...The Bills sidelines went nuts too and still no flag...

Also late in the Game, Winslow had about a 12 Yard Reception for a 1st Down on which He blatantly pushed off the Defender on his cut...He went 10 yards, pushed off on His cut and was wide open..It was obvious...Those things get called for other Teams...not The Bills though...

Just saying... :thumbsup:

The only thing Jauron did right all night was to leave TE in. If they pull him all they are doing is repeated the mistakes they made with JP.

While it may or may not have been the right decision to stick with Edwards last night, I disagree that pulling a QB from a game in which he is struggling is always a mistake, even with a young QB. Screwing with their starting status, is a mistake, I think. But, players have off days, and I have no issue with bringing in the backup to get the W, if the starter isn't getting it done...as long as it is clear that it isn't a threat to his starting status.

I would have waited until sometime the 3rd Quarter (at the earliest) to make the decision to pull Edwards, and by then, the Bills seemed to be getting it together with the running game. Edwards was arguably settling down (but not by much, until late in the game), and he has a nice little history (considering how few games he has played) of leading late game winning drives. So, I think both replacing him, and keeping him in, were both defensible options, last night.

Had the Browns gone ahead by more than one score, in the second half, I think he should have sent Edwards to the bench.

2) What can I say about Trent? He was simply awful, but they have to stay with him or they will have another JP on their hands. Besides, the season is already shot.

How many games in a row does he have to blow before he already is another JP in your eyes? Right now we are at 4 and counting. Is 5 enough when it is KC? 6 with KC/SF? 8? 12? 20? Give me a break. He is already JP. For all of his faults, JP NEVER played scared like that.

How many games in a row did JP blow before he became JP in your eyes?

I wish this thread would stay around longer, it literally could encompass all of the bull sh-- topics that people like to start without thinking. Anyways, I will offer my thoughts:

1) This has to be the most important point. And it was argued all last week, so I feel somewhat vindicated in a sickly sense because I turned out to be right (though as I admitted last week, I would happily eat my words). Dick Jauron is not a good coach. Simply put. I understand that when your QB collapses out of nowhere around week 7, you are going to have trouble adapting. But, putting that aside, good coaches can win with a mediocre QB. And more so, EVERYONE IN AMERICA KNEW LAST NIGHT THAT YOU DON'T SET UP FOR A 47 YARD FIELD GOAL INTO THE WIND WITH 1 MINUTE LEFT! I mean Trent finally made a good throw, you don't trust him at all? It is just terrible. I understand he was given an extension, but mark my words, any other coach in the NFL to start the season 4-0, 5-1 and then literally fall on his face to this extent, would be fired. I'm not saying he WILL be canned, but you can't let someone get away with that.

2) Edwards will be OK. I don't think he is going to end up being Tom Brady like everyone thought, but this is his second season. He is smart, he is young, and so long as we don't run him out of town he will be OK. Frankly, even when he is playing poorly, his poor play derives mainly from nerves, not intelligence. Losman is just not the brightest guy. I would much rather watch Trent playing poorly and throwing a few picks while at least somewhat managing the game, then watch Losman go 4 and out 3 times in a row, with 4 sacks, one INT, and if we are lucky one 80 yard bomb to Evans. I have to stay positive because he is who we are going to be stuck with regardless and I think he has potential to learn from this disaster. That being said, his regression has been an utter surprise to just about everyone and a QB that is easily rattled is not necessarily a good thing. Then again, Eli Manning sucked for his first 2-3 years and finally came around to gain some composure. Edwards is on a similar trajectory in my opinion.

3) The play of the DE's has been atrocious. That needs to be addressed in the 1st round, even if we sign someone during FA.

4) Lindell was set up for disaster in my opinion, he should have made the kick, but you don't set up your kicker for a 50 yard field goal into the wind when you have 1 minute left.

5) Lynch and Jackson finally broke through and I am looking forward to their progression in the coming years.

6) Evans has every right to be pissed and I hope he lets Dick Jauron know it.

7) I really hope the Bills finish this season on a high note, we need a strong finish to entice FA's to sign and optimism on our team. Remember, Whitner did promise the playoffs. It would be an absolute stomach punch for this team to finish below .500 and frankly I am not sure how the organization could recover from that self-defeat with Jauron as coach.

8) Mitchell finally earned his pay

9) Has Hardy been that slow to progess or is Edwards just incapable of getting him the ball?

10) Finally, say what you want about McKelvin but I think he finally showed last night that he is making progress. Although he missed that pick, it was still a great read and it would have been a fairly spectacular catch if he had pulled the ball in. That combined with being a top 5 kick returner and I am satsified.

I disagree with #6 & #8. I do not think it was Turk's or Jauron's fault. Evans was open a few times down the seam. Edwards just refused to throw it.

I think Mitchell has been our best defensive player this year.

Difference between the two...JPs errors were errors of commission...he would try to make a play because he knew he could. Sometimes that backfired. Edwards errors are errors of omission. He's afraid to throw the ball but he does after thinking that split second and then he's too late, or he checks down much too quickly. He's playing scared and cannot anticipate a receiver coming open...witness the non TD pass to Evans.

Given the choice, I'd rather have a guy play with the confidence that he force a throw in somewhere - like Jimbo used to - rather than someone who is afraid to let 'er rip. Trent showed both extremes last night - he spent much of the night checking down and dumping off, but that throw to Royal - just before Jauron's vagina flared up - was a thing of beauty and was a very confident, strong strike. If he plays like that and gets picked off occasionally, whatever. I'm cool with it. But I cannot stand a QB playing scared.

And Chris Ellis still isn't on the field. Not once did I see Kelsay do anything. Being at the game, it's amazing how a player on the DL can do nothing.

Kelsay looked fantastic chasing the RB on that wheel route. :thumbsup:

Great defensive play call that was, BTW - let's have Kelsay drop into man coverage on a RB. Good call, Perry. Although I suppose that even if he did try pass rushing he would have ended up just as far away from the QB as he did chasing the RB down the field...

Given the choice, I'd rather have a guy play with the confidence that he force a throw in somewhere - like Jimbo used to - rather than someone who is afraid to let 'er rip. Trent showed both extremes last night - he spent much of the night checking down and dumping off, but that throw to Royal - just before Jauron's vagina flared up - was a thing of beauty and was a very confident, strong strike. If he plays like that and gets picked off occasionally, whatever. I'm cool with it. But I cannot stand a QB playing scared.

Kelsay looked fantastic chasing the RB on that wheel route. :wallbash:

Great defensive play call that was, BTW - let's have Kelsay drop into man coverage on a RB. Good call, Perry. Although I suppose that even if he did try pass rushing he would have ended up just as far away from the QB as he did chasing the RB down the field...

not just any RB, the speed burner RB.

1. Why so much love for McGee? B. Edwards was open all night.

2. If it were up to me, I would have gone with a play-action pass on 2nd or 3rd down on that final series. The defense would have never seen that coming -- and it probably would have led to a TD if not more of a sure thing FGA. Still, I understand why Jauron did what he did at the end of the game, given how poorly Trent had played all night. Yes, ALL NIGHT. He didn't just cease to suck after the INTs as some have suggested. He was missing wide open receivers down the field. (By missing, I mean not seeing them) Lynch really bailed him out on a number of plays. The horrible ankle throw to Fine on the rollout was a seriously missed opportunity. There was no one in front of Fine, and a good throw would have led to a long gain.

3. I REALLY enjoyed Jaws calling the game last night. He was very perplexed on that last drive before the end of the first half, when the Bills were running the ball so successfully why they didn't at least try a play-action pass. he seemed to suggest that perhaps ball-handling was not a strength for Trent.

4. In my mind, the two best players on the field last night (for either team) were our last two years' first round draft picks. With Greer coming off the field with the knee injury, I suspect we are probably going to see a lot more of Leodis the rest of the way.

5. OK, now that we have established that Evans WAS getting open from time to time and Trent just wasn't getting him the ball, shame on Turk for not dialing up some safe plays to get the ball into Lee's hands. Where were the WR screens? Slants? Also, for all of the time that Trent had in the pocket last night, I was looking for something like a pump-and-go?

6. One common denominator about the last 4 teams (besides the 3-4 defense) is that all 4 of them faced Trent before. I don't know if that has any bearing, but in baseball, they always talk about how hitters adjust to a new, young, hot shoot rookie pitcher the second time through the line-up. The teams that he went 4-0 against had NOT seen him before.

7. The offensive line seemed to get better as the game went on. I think so much of that is because the coaches wisely stuck with the running game. In fact, for the first time all year, Jason Peters looked like the 2007 Peters. In fact, you can add Peters to the list with McKelvin and Lynch for who looked best last night.

8. Aside from game planning for the Chiefs, the absolute best thing that the coaches can do is to go to work to help Trent's confidence this next week. The Chiefs should be made to order with their weak run defense. And it may actually be good for Trent to go out on the road.

9. What really hurts about this game is that, aside from the turnovers, the Bills played their most complete game of the season. And, were it NOT for the turnovers, the team would have won in lop-sided fashion. If they can play with that sort of intensity without the costly mistakes, there is no reason why they couldn't win every remaining game on their schedule!

10. Go Bills!

1. Why so much love for McGee? B. Edwards was open all night.

2. If it were up to me, I would have gone with a play-action pass on 2nd or 3rd down on that final series. The defense would have never seen that coming -- and it probably would have led to a TD if not more of a sure thing FGA. Still, I understand why Jauron did what he did at the end of the game, given how poorly Trent had played all night. Yes, ALL NIGHT. He didn't just cease to suck after the INTs as some have suggested. He was missing wide open receivers down the field. (By missing, I mean not seeing them) Lynch really bailed him out on a number of plays. The horrible ankle throw to Fine on the rollout was a seriously missed opportunity. There was no one in front of Fine, and a good throw would have led to a long gain.

3. I REALLY enjoyed Jaws calling the game last night. He was very perplexed on that last drive before the end of the first half, when the Bills were running the ball so successfully why they didn't at least try a play-action pass. he seemed to suggest that perhaps ball-handling was not a strength for Trent.

4. In my mind, the two best players on the field last night (for either team) were our last two years' first round draft picks. With Greer coming off the field with the knee injury, I suspect we are probably going to see a lot more of Leodis the rest of the way.

5. OK, now that we have established that Evans WAS getting open from time to time and Trent just wasn't getting him the ball, shame on Turk for not dialing up some safe plays to get the ball into Lee's hands. Where were the WR screens? Slants? Also, for all of the time that Trent had in the pocket last night, I was looking for something like a pump-and-go?

6. One common denominator about the last 4 teams (besides the 3-4 defense) is that all 4 of them faced Trent before. I don't know if that has any bearing, but in baseball, they always talk about how hitters adjust to a new, young, hot shoot rookie pitcher the second time through the line-up. The teams that he went 4-0 against had NOT seen him before.

7. The offensive line seemed to get better as the game went on. I think so much of that is because the coaches wisely stuck with the running game. In fact, for the first time all year, Jason Peters looked like the 2007 Peters. In fact, you can add Peters to the list with McKelvin and Lynch for who looked best last night.

8. Aside from game planning for the Chiefs, the absolute best thing that the coaches can do is to go to work to help Trent's confidence this next week. The Chiefs should be made to order with their weak run defense. And it may actually be good for Trent to go out on the road.

9. What really hurts about this game is that, aside from the turnovers, the Bills played their most complete game of the season. And, were it NOT for the turnovers, the team would have won in lop-sided fashion. If they can play with that sort of intensity without the costly mistakes, there is no reason why they couldn't win every remaining game on their schedule!

10. Go Bills!

Good post, but Marcus Stroud was the best player on the field for both teams last night.

And Chris Ellis still isn't on the field. Not once did I see Kelsay do anything. Being at the game, it's amazing how a player on the DL can do nothing.

billsvet, i so agree. Watched Kelsay all night and was amazed at how often - like ALWAYS - he is out of the play. He would get fooled by reverses, get blocked in on outside runs, get smothered when trying to rush Quinn, and forget about that ridiculous scheme of having him cover Harrison on a pass play. The guy is not NFL-calibre and if he is really a "Christian",

he should return his big money and just retire.

I can't believe Chris Ellis is so weak that he couldn't do a better job than the worst DE in the league.

Anyway, cut Kelsay and save some cap money...he's USELESS!

......but not letting him pass the ball in those final 3 plays defeated the benefits of keeping him in. You leave him in for reasons of confidence. Let him hopefully work through his mental issues on the field & get out the other side......also pulling him could exacerbate his lack of confidence. With what the coaches did at the end......they may as well have pulled him half way through the 3rd.