Ted Cottrell's return

Perry Fewell has been given a lot of talent this season with the addition of such guys as Marcus Stroud and Kawika Mitchell. If this defense continues to struggle, especially on the road, and we end up missing the playoffs, I think Teddy Cottrell should be brought back in as defensive coordinator. San Diego had to find a mid-season scape goat, and it turned out to be him. Listen, the guy lost his best defensive player for the season and I thought the Charger defense played well until that London shootout game. If the Chargers had won the shootout, they wouldn't have fired him. Same thing is going on in Dallas. Is it Wade's fault the Cowboys lost Tony Romo for a few weeks? Now theres talk of him getting the ax? Memo to Jerry Jones...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO THE SUPERBOWL IN THIRTEEN YEARS! Change is not good! Its clear Brad Johnson's not the answer, but dont blame Wade for an injury.

I don't know about dumping Perry if they miss the playoffs....if you bring in a new DC, he has to get along & share the same philosophy with Jauron first & foremost. I don't know if that would happen with Ted. Even if it does, it likely requires an overhaul on defense - Cottrell would want to bring in players who know him and his system. That means another year or two of iffy defense.

Regarding Dallas, Jerry Jones wants to find any reason to fire Wade because he wants Jason Garrett as the HC. Wade was brought in as a temporary fill-in until Garrett was ready. Apparently, that time is getting closer.

Perry Fewell has been given a lot of talent this season with the addition of such guys as Marcus Stroud and Kawika Mitchell. If this defense continues to struggle, especially on the road, and we end up missing the playoffs, I think Teddy Cottrell should be brought back in as defensive coordinator. San Diego had to find a mid-season scape goat, and it turned out to be him. Listen, the guy lost his best defensive player for the season and I thought the Charger defense played well until that London shootout game. If the Chargers had won the shootout, they wouldn't have fired him. Same thing is going on in Dallas. Is it Wade's fault the Cowboys lost Tony Romo for a few weeks? Now theres talk of him getting the ax? Memo to Jerry Jones...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO THE SUPERBOWL IN THIRTEEN YEARS! Change is not good! Its clear Brad Johnson's not the answer, but dont blame Wade for an injury.

As long as you bring Bruce, Hansen, Talley, Bennett and Ted Washington with him.

WTF?

Jauron is loyal to a fault with his assistants. Expect no changes even if the results aren't the best.

While I will agree that Fewell has not been able to make enough adjustments in certain games, what about the 5 games where the scheme seemed solid enough. Personally, I am not sure that there is as much talent on this defense as some seem to assume there is.

As for Cottrell, besides all of the scheme reasons that have already been laid out by others, look at Cottrells' record, away from Buffalo. It hasn't been all that impressive. His defenses in New York, Minnesota and now San Diego, all seem to have problems.

It seems like some of us need to find a hobby to fill our time between football games!

It's an easy transition. Cut Stroud, cut Williams, cut Kelsay, cut Denney, move Schobel to OLB, and spend the next six first round picks replacing those guys (a few busts in there, most likely). Then compete again in 2014.

too funny... :blink:

While I will agree that Fewell has not been able to make enough adjustments in certain games, what about the 5 games where the scheme seemed solid enough. Personally, I am not sure that there is as much talent on this defense as some seem to assume there is.

Agree wholeheartedly. And I think the main culprit is the lack of talent on the Dline. Schobel is average/slightly better than average at best and while Stroud has made a difference, it hasnt been enough. LDE and the other DT position really need to be upgraded to make Stroud and Schobel more effective and in turn, the rest of the D.

Terrible post. Cottrell's D's have stunk in every stint since here - NYJ, Minny, SD; and the talent he had to work with in those places even without Merriman was closer to this year's Bills than 06 & 07.

Um ... SD's defense was pretty good last year. 5th in points allowed; 1st in turnovers forced; 14th in yards; 5th in sacks.

Cotrell has also bee nfired in his last three jobs, so you cna't blame it all on being a scapegoat for the Chargers. You mention it's not his fault they lost their best defensive player to injury. When he looked great for Bills they had Bruice Smith, Ted Washington, Paulp, etc. So maybe Ted is nothing more than an average coach who can look pretty good whe nhe has great players around him. Bringing him back would not likely be a positive step.