Today's Mort Chat

Why again was he a good evaluator of talent???? He has had many successes, but at the sport's most important position - QB - he has a solid record of failure. He inherited a solid, decent Neil O'Donnell and dumped him after a Super Bowl appearance. (Kordell Stewart -- who had a 70.7 career QB rating -- was next in line.) Next, he chose Johnson over Flutie. Next, Bledsoe. Finally, Losman. No matter how good you are at nailing LBs and safeties, if you can't get the QB right, you're in trouble.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You ought to give it a rest. As should most Bills fans.

I ought to give what a rest? I thought my question was fair and non-abusive, and he certainly didn't have to answer it. And, I'm glad he finally explained himself. I'm not heckling him, I'm not harassing him, I asked him a question and he confirmed my thoughts.

You ought to give it a rest. As should most Bills fans.

We know where TD messed up. Picking coaches, failing to address the O-Line, and the inability to find a franchise QB during his tenure here.

That said, under his watch the Bills' special teams went from worst to first.

A number of solid contributor were acquired under his watch: Peters, Evans, Parish, Reed, Evans, McGee, Crowell.

But he just wasn't good enough.

Says the guy who still whines about draft picks 3 years ago and only shows up after the 2 losses the Bills have had this season. :lol:

I don't think too many Bills fans would not acknowledge that TD did lay the foundation for the current team. The guys still on the roster who were a product of the TD era are as follows:

Kelsey/Schobel/Denney/Crowell/McGee/Evans/Peters/Lindell/Moorman/Parrish/Reed

/quote]

Sorry but as I look at this, these players are not that special.

Kelsey/Schobel/Denney - 3 2nd round picks and how many sacks between them. I understand Schobel is injured this year and he has been a solid player in the past but he is under sized and does get pushed around in the run.

Crowell - good player, probably a good find in the draft. I think he was a 5th round pick.

McGee - Another solid pick.

Evans - maybe his best first round pick. The only problem is he used another 1st rounder on his worst first round pick JP Losman.

Peters - We were lucky he came to us. He was undrafted and had his choice of teams.

Lindell/Moorman - good kickers

Parrish/Reed - a punt returner and an ok possesion wr. Both probably not worthy of their 2nd round pick.

You should have asked him why Donahoe doesent have a job right now.

Lori can probably give a good list of Donahoe guys left on this team still.

Here's the guys I think are Donahoe picks and FA signings still on the team:

Per ESPN Depth Chart

I think these are the pro-bowl guys too.

Angelo Crowell - Starter

Terrance McGee -Starter - (Pro bowl)

Chris Kelsay - Starter

Aaron Schobel - Starter - (Pro-bowl twice)

Josh Reed - Starter

Rian Lindell - Starter

Jason Peters - Starter - (Pro bowl)

Jabari Greer - Starter

Lee Evans - Starter

Brian Moorman - Starter - (Pro-bowl twice)

Roscoe Parrish - Starter ST/ 3rd receiver

George Wilson - Backup

Bryan Scott - Backup

JP Losman - Backup

Ryan Denney - Backup

Duke Preston - Backup

Donahoe doesn't look so bad when looking at this list. :lol:

Says the guy who still whines about draft picks 3 years ago and only shows up after the 2 losses the Bills have had this season. :lol:

I certainly show up after wins.

But I do admittedly show up more to respond to asinine posts (like yours) that, for example:

- Claim McCargo was good pick

- Enshrine Whitner into Canton

Keep up your obsession with me, it's flattering :(

HOLY CRAP:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=23290

Coach Tuesday (NYC): Mort: there is a perception out there among Bills fans that you have been overly critical of the organization ever since Tom Donahoe was fired. Any response to that notion?

Chris Mortensen: (12:11 PM ET ) Still, even when you look at contributing players on the team now and others around the league Donohoe drafted or signed[/b

I went back and looked at Ol' Whitey's 2004 draft, now 5 years in.

2004 - Buffalo Bills

Rd Sel # Player Position School

1 13 Lee Evans WR Wisconsin - starting, Buffalo Bills

1 22 J.P. Losman QB Tulane - backup, Buffalo Bills

3 74 Tim Anderson DT Ohio State - no longer in NFL

4 109 Tim Euhus TE Oregon State - no longer in NFL

7 207 Dylan McFarland T Montana - no longer in NFL

7 214 Jonathan Smith WR Georgia Tech - no longer in NFL

Evans - maybe his best first round pick. The only problem is he used another 1st rounder on his worst first round pick JP Losman.

:lol: I see you are objective :( How about TD selecting Mike Williams over John Henderson, Albert Haynesworth, and Ed Reed? Sorry about logic, now please carry on with your hate

I ought to give what a rest? I thought my question was fair and non-abusive, and he certainly didn't have to answer it. And, I'm glad he finally explained himself. I'm not heckling him, I'm not harassing him, I asked him a question and he confirmed my thoughts.

Didn't mean to call you out like that. I will say that Donahoe needed to go. He made one too many mistakes to justify his continued employment by the organization. I firmly believe that if he hired an experienced head coach instead of Mularkey, the end of the story would have been a lot different. Mularkey's team was not that far from winning. The defense was solid, great veteran leadership, and Bledsoe could have been a serviceable QB if the O-Line was actually addressed.

All I'm saying is that we know Mort is a homer... but the rest of the mainstream press is giving the Bills more love than one could ever ask for. So who gives a #$$% ?

:lol: I see you are objective :( How about TD selecting Mike Williams over John Henderson, Albert Haynesworth, and Ed Reed? Sorry about logic, now please carry on with your hate

I was being objective. I just didn't have the time to look up all the drafts of Donahoe to see who was taken after the selections he made. The Williams pick was awful and when you pick at that position you can not miss. He clearly missed. But I believe the Losman pick cost us 3 picks including our 1st round pick the following season and the organization stood still while waiting for the player to develop. Missing on a tackle can put you back at that position for a year or two as you wait for them to develop but missing on a QB hurts the entire organization.

I'm not sure how I was going on with hate but I think my logic is fine. Missing at the QB position is more hurtful to an organization than missing at the tackle position.

I went back and looked at Ol' Whitey's 2004 draft, now 5 years in.

2004 - Buffalo Bills

Rd Sel # Player Position School

1 13 Lee Evans WR Wisconsin - starting, Buffalo Bills

1 22 J.P. Losman QB Tulane - backup, Buffalo Bills

3 74 Tim Anderson DT Ohio State - no longer in NFL

4 109 Tim Euhus TE Oregon State - no longer in NFL

7 207 Dylan McFarland T Montana - no longer in NFL

7 214 Jonathan Smith WR Georgia Tech - no longer in NFL

I think you can find similar results among a number of teams throughout the league - not all of them, but some. The draft is a crapshoot half the time and if you're lucky, your first rounder becomes an impact player in the NFL.

TD's first high-profile pick (Mike Williams) wasn't a bad pick at the time...he just didn't pan out at all.

However, he was horrible at dealing with free agents and picking coaches. Someone said earlier that he went for the big-impact player (McGahee) instead of the solid pick. That combined with trying to build an OL and DL from the scrap heap - and letting Pat Williams go - really led to his demise with this franchise.

Tom Donohoe (STL): Hey Mort, what time are you coming over on Thanksgiving?

Chris Mortensen: (12:19 PM ET) I should be there around noon.

:lol::(:lol::lol:

Tom Donohoe (STL): Why don't you come over a little earlier...I need a back massage with almond oil

Chris Mortensen: (12:19 PM ET) All I have is crisco.... but we can still have fun...eat turkey and choke chicken!!!

:lol::(:lol::lol:

Tom Donohoe (STL): Why don't you come over a little earlier...I need a back massage with almond oil

Chris Mortensen: (12:19 PM ET) All I have is crisco.... but we can still have fun...eat turkey and choke chicken!!!

Tom Donohoe (12:20 PM ET) Don't forget the orange ball and rubber fist

Why again was he a good evaluator of talent???? He has had many successes, but at the sport's most important position - QB - he has a solid record of failure. He inherited a solid, decent Neil O'Donnell and dumped him after a Super Bowl appearance. (Kordell Stewart -- who had a 70.7 career QB rating -- was next in line.) Next, he chose Johnson over Flutie. Next, Bledsoe. Finally, Losman. No matter how good you are at nailing LBs and safeties, if you can't get the QB right, you're in trouble.

QB's are pretty hard to predict. There are probably more busts than booms at the position--so I don't fault TD for that.

In fact, TD had his heart set on Ben R. in 2004, but he was taken a pick before us. So, really, TD got that one right too.

Players still on the team acquired under Tom Donahoe:

Ryan Denney

Lee Evans

Jabari Greer

Chris Kelsay

Rian Lindell

JP Losman

Terrence McGee

Brian Moorman

Roscoe Parrish

Jason Peters

Duke Preston

Josh Reed

Aaron Schobel

George Wilson(I may be wrong on this one).

That's 9 starters, not too bad. Our top 3 WRs, top 2 DEs, top 2 CBs were drafted by Donahoe. The FAs that he signed for the most part played well for us. IMO, he made 3 major mistakes that ultimately led to him being fired. 1. letting go Pat Williams, 2. missing on too many 1st round picks, 3. Not finding a QB.

Going 3-13 and not getting a franchise player hurts his case. So does trading a 1st round pick for a player who only played 3 years here. I've always felt that Donahoe half-assed the rebuilding project that was so necessary after John Butler left. Who's fault is that? It might not all be his but, it is his responsibility. After that season, we were in no position to be trading away 1st rounders. We should have been stockpiling picks, so that if you miss on a few, you still have some young players to fall back on. We did not commit to rebuilding and ultimately that came back to kill us. There was no real foundation of talent, and the gap between our top players and reserves was large in both talent level and age. And he missed on the OL, drafted two running backs with first day picks in 3 seasons, and two WRs in the second round when it was obvious that we needed talented OL. I think Pat Williams speaks for itself.