Today's Mort Chat

Sorry to interrupt the other points in the thread, but I would like to say one thing:

I knew we were in trouble when TD hired Greggo, and allowed him to blow up the #2 defense from the previous year due to arrogance (GW's). If we had kept the late '90s (dare I say Wade's/Ted Cottrell's) defensive system & players, and focused on improving the offense, the team would have been far better off. But no, we had to go to the smoke & mirrors defense of Jerry Gray and (to a lesser extent) Dick LeBeau. Now we are in a modified cover 2, which needs perfect execution, especially from a light & quick front four to succeed. When they (front four) don't succeed, we see wide open receivers splitting the zone with no defender within 3 yards.

That is my gripe with Donahoe. He let a top defense evaporate.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Digging this thread up to add Jerry Sullivan's swipe at Mort from his chat at buffnews.com on Thursday. (He said something about Mort making excuses for TD in last week's chat, and I was wondering if he'd provide a follow-up ...)

1:35

[Comment From Russ, Buffalo]

Do you know Mortensen from ESPN? Every talk with him? Can you get him to stop the Bills Hate just because he buddies with Donohoe???

1:37

I hear you. It was laughable during the Donahoe era how his cronies defended him in national media. Mortensen wasn't the only one. That's why you should take these national experts with a grain of salt. Most of them are beholden to GMs and agents and scouts who slip them information -- which isn't worth it, if you ask me. If you're not too close to sources, you're more able to say it the way you see it.

Ouch.