Rock Concerts for Fading Music Acts

Last week we had two of the big 80’s-90’s “titans” (R.E.M. and Janet Jackson) make concert tour stops in Dallas to promote their new albums. (betcha didn’t know they had new albums to promote, did you?). And both of them received not-so-pleasant reviews from the local media.

R.E.M. headlined at the 10,000-seat Nokia Theatre, where they drew 6,000. And one of the commentators on the radio on Saturday mentioned that this was the first ‘rock’ concert that he had attended where the audience sat in their seats for the entire show. Granted, the band members are pushing 50 (and so are their fans), but people still stand at Rolling Stones shows.

And Janet Jackson headlined at the 20,000-seat American Airlines Center, where she drew 6,000 (all of the upper levels of the arena were curtained off). And the newspaper reviewer estimated the 90% of her show was lip-synched.

That being said, do any of you still go (or get dragged) to these types of concerts, where these desperate has-been musicians still believe that they are relevant? [Note: This is not to be confused with the “oldies acts” who haven’t made new music in 10 years]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week we had two of the big 80’s-90’s “titans” (R.E.M. and Janet Jackson) make concert tour stops in Dallas to promote their new albums. (betcha didn’t know they had new albums to promote, did you?). And both of them received not-so-pleasant reviews from the local media.

R.E.M. headlined at the 10,000-seat Nokia Theatre, where they drew 6,000. And one of the commentators on the radio on Saturday mentioned that this was the first ‘rock’ concert that he had attended where the audience sat in their seats for the entire show. Granted, the band members are pushing 50 (and so are their fans), but people still stand at Rolling Stones shows.

And Janet Jackson headlined at the 20,000-seat American Airlines Center, where she drew 6,000 (all of the upper levels of the arena were curtained off). And the newspaper reviewer estimated the 90% of her show was lip-synched.

That being said, do any of you still go (or get dragged) to these types of concerts, where these desperate has-been musicians still believe that they are relevant? [Note: This is not to be confused with the “oldies acts” who haven’t made new music in 10 years]

I went to Bon Jovi in DC in February. Not an empty seat in the house and I would say that the majority of the people stood for 75% of the show. I do think that Bon Jovi has quite a bit more of a following than JJ or REM, so that could be the reason. Also, I think some of their current music is better than the classics.

I'm probably gonna go see Ray Davies in a few weeks at the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta. It's a small place and the tickets are reasonable.

You won't catch me paying $100 or more for some lame arena show. I passed on the Stones, even though I'm a fan and I've never seen them live. For me, it's just too late and it's just too expensive for a terrible seat.

Last week we had two of the big 80's-90's "titans" (R.E.M. and Janet Jackson) make concert tour stops in Dallas to promote their new albums. (betcha didn't know they had new albums to promote, did you?). And both of them received not-so-pleasant reviews from the local media.

No I didn't, but I sure hope it means that Janet will release a new video where she dances around while ten people behind her do the same dance. That would be really cool and different.

I saw REM this summer and thought it was a good show - overall it was pretty well-attended.

One thing this REM show brought home to me more than any other I've seen WRT to acts that have been around for a long time is that for some bands which have a very long career and a music catalog which spans multiple decades and includes forays into slightly different material along the way can translate to a very uneven experience during a live show. Using REM as an example - I loved them in the early 80's when they were still a 'college band' - but then a band like that can go mainstream and veer into different directions musically. So at the REM show I went to, they opened with "HarborCoat" - which is absolutely one of my all time favorites - and me and a portion of the crowd was estatic, while large portions of the crowd (younger - who discovered the band much later) just kind of sat there - some probably literally never having heard the song. Conversely, when they went into a tired commercialized song like "Losing My Religion" a large portion of the crowd went crazy while another portion could care less. That happened all through the show (actually - to my benefit they played a lot of early songs in homage to the fact they played the colleges here a lot in their early years - which left a lot of the younger crowd confused and disappointed).

Another side of the coin is when some of these acts are put together to tour with completely different lineups. Sometimes you can take that for what it's worth and go to hear the songs - played by good musicians - but you're really seeing more of a cover band. I remember one time in high school we went to see the Guess Who (or more accurately, a reasonable facsimile) at a bar - and I think the only original member in the band was the bass player. But it was fun to hear the songs, and they were played well.

I went and saw Peter Gabriel back in 2002 in Toronto (the Monday after the Miami Snow Bowl game) and I swear I was sitting in the section "those who only know the songs from "So", because it was only those songs that they would stand/clap/cheer during.

I did see REM this past summer in Toronto, gotta thank my sister for being a fan club member and getting kick ass seats. Here's her pics from the show.

I did go see Van Halen this year when they came to Little Rock. I went for two reasons..1. I never had the chance to see Dave with VH and 2. I picked up two tickets in the 20th row off of Ebay for $80. Would I spend several hundred bucks to see a band that might have an "off" night and sound terrible, no?

I guess it depends what is meant by "fading music acts", and how you experience music, for the most part.

I will take any opportunity I can get to see "Saxophone Colossus", Sonny Rollins, who is still touring at 78 years of age. When possible I try to get to concerts featuring the music of Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Debussy, etc...and those dudes have long since faded from the scene. I catch at least one show of every Steely Dan tour, as I am not about to miss the best popular-music composers of my life play live with some of the finest musicians currently working in jazz and pop and rock music. As long as Van Morrison is singing, I try to see him, as often as I can. If David Grisman is playing with some of then best young acoustic instrumentalists in the world, count me in.

But, if you go to concerts to hear the latest dance hits, or radio candy, then I really can't understand why you would want to go see Janet Jackson or Madonna, when they are old and over-the-hill, and replaced by a bunch of new throw-away "artists". Or if you go to concerts for the attitude the band embraces, I guess one mindless metal show is as good as the next, or one Bon Jovi concert is as good as the next Kid Rock show.

And, yes, I AM a snob.

I guess it depends what is meant by "fading music acts", and how you experience music, for the most part.

I will take any opportunity I can get to see "Saxophone Colossus", Sonny Rollins, who is still touring at 78 years of age. When possible I try to get to concerts featuring the music of Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Debussy, etc...and those dudes have long since faded from the scene. I catch at least one show of every Steely Dan tour, as I am not about to miss the best popular-music composers of my life play live with some of the finest musicians currently working in jazz and pop and rock music. As long as Van Morrison is singing, I try to see him, as often as I can. If David Grisman is playing with some of then best young acoustic instrumentalists in the world, count me in.

But, if you go to concerts to hear the latest dance hits, or radio candy, then I really can't understand why you would want to go see Janet Jackson or Madonna, when they are old and over-the-hill, and replaced by a bunch of new throw-away "artists". Or if you go to concerts for the attitude the band embraces, I guess one mindless metal show is as good as the next, or one Bon Jovi concert is as good as the next Kid Rock show.

And, yes, I AM a snob.

I wish I would have seen Dave Brubeck in his prime. He was very good up til about age 73 or 74. But the original band with Paul Desmond,Eugene wright and that Morello guy on drums...well they were special.

I wish I would have seen Dave Brubeck in his prime. He was very good up til about age 73 or 74. But the original band with Paul Desmond,Eugene wright and that Morello guy on drums...well they were special.

Me, too.

When was his prime??? I saw Brubeck at Artpark in summer of 85 I believe it was. Took a girl on a second date, and her folks and all my family (lot o family in town for a wedding) thought what in the hell was 20 yr old kid doing going to see Brubeck. But, they were all jealous too when I took her to see Dizzy at that Tralf later that summer.

I'm probably gonna go see Ray Davies in a few weeks at the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta. It's a small place and the tickets are reasonable.

You won't catch me paying $100 or more for some lame arena show. I passed on the Stones, even though I'm a fan and I've never seen them live. For me, it's just too late and it's just too expensive for a terrible seat.

The Kinks were one of the hottest shows EVER! Report back on the show, please!

Ray Davies is not the Kinks, but he is their voice .

EL OH EL AY

just because a band that i like or liked in the past gets older doesnt mean i have to stop enjoying them, either for nostalgia or out of curiosity in how they sound today. I chose to enjoy things for what they are, not because they have fallen out of favor or fashion with "mainstream society", I would love to see REM...but hey, thats me

This is a very intresting subject to me. What happened to Rock & Roll? Did it get replaced or pushed aside by rap or hip hop?

I do not think rap is a very musically creative art, it's appeal is based more on style and celebrity then anything else. I guess some could make the same case about the hair bands of the 80's like Posion. I never seen a person pick up a guitar for the first time and a mic and do a Posion song but I have seen people pick up a casio keyboard from walmart and sing rap like a pro.

When was his prime??? I saw Brubeck at Artpark in summer of 85 I believe it was. Took a girl on a second date, and her folks and all my family (lot o family in town for a wedding) thought what in the hell was 20 yr old kid doing going to see Brubeck. But, they were all jealous too when I took her to see Dizzy at that Tralf later that summer.

He was still very very good at that point. His tightest band(they were heaven sent) was his original between the 50s and early 70s.

Dizzy at the tralph--awesome.