Rock Concerts for Fading Music Acts

When was his prime??? I saw Brubeck at Artpark in summer of 85 I believe it was. Took a girl on a second date, and her folks and all my family (lot o family in town for a wedding) thought what in the hell was 20 yr old kid doing going to see Brubeck. But, they were all jealous too when I took her to see Dizzy at that Tralf later that summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJE92phKzI...feature=related

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the chance to meet Brubeck and see him play and speak over 2-3 days last year. He did open Q/A sessions that were an absolute treasure - stories about playing in bands on the front in WWII, insisting on an integrated band (against the Army's wishes), studying composition with Darius Milhaud, the guys he played with over the years.

I had seen him play in the late 80s - at the time I'd never dreamed I would see him again 20 years later. I'll be happy to be able to identify a piano when I'm that age. Accuracy was not all there, but the RHYTHM was unbelievable.... good stuff. This event was at a university, and he played with the university Jazz band. What an opportunity for those kids to stand on stage with Dave Brubeck and play a few tunes. He was very gracious, warm, and genuine with his time and in working with the students.

All that said, I also wish I could have seen him play back in the day.....

About 10 years back, I remember that Blue Oyster Cult was playing in a bar nearby.

I didn't go, but I read the review...apparently less than 100 people were there. This was before the "More Cowbell" sketch on SNL and their "resurgence" (such as it's been).

About 10 years back, I remember that Blue Oyster Cult was playing in a bar nearby.

I didn't go, but I read the review...apparently less than 100 people were there. This was before the "More Cowbell" sketch on SNL and their "resurgence" (such as it's been).

In their very early days (WAY before Don't Fear the Reaper) BOC was a very good live show.

If REM only sold 6K of 10K seats, then the promoter screwed up, but 6,000 fans got to see the show. Don't know if this will turn into the inevitable, "my musical taste is better than your musical taste," but if a band that I like is playing locally, there's a good chance that I'll see them.

Of course, it's also a good chance that the bands that I like don't play in 70,000 seat arenas, or are mostly dead.

If REM only sold 6K of 10K seats, then the promoter screwed up, but 6,000 fans got to see the show. Don't know if this will turn into the inevitable, "my musical taste is better than your musical taste," but if a band that I like is playing locally, there's a good chance that I'll see them.

Of course, it's also a good chance that the bands that I like don't play in 70,000 seat arenas, or are mostly dead.

I simply refuse to go to arenas to see music...period. The largest venue I even consider, is an outdoor amphitheater, and only if I have a seat that isn't a mile from the stage.

I simply refuse to go to arenas to see music...period. The largest venue I even consider, is an outdoor amphitheater, and only if I have a seat that isn't a mile from the stage.

Agreed - but large music festivals are also allowed.

Agreed - but large music festivals are also allowed.

Sure. They usually have several stages. I have no problem with that. I don't think I would go to a Woodstock, though, if it was just a mass of people and one stage. Showing my age, I guess. Now, if a bunch of mushrooms and other party favors were involved, I might reconsider. Showing by immaturity, I guess.

The problem with some music festivals is, I rarely like more than one or two of the acts.

Few are better than this (other than the weather) - or this for a more grown up setting.

Both look to have acts worth seeing...and a lot of filler. Probably a little overwhelming for me, though.

Did you ever notice how horrible festival websites are? Where and When should be on the very first page, don'tcha think?

Both look to have acts worth seeing...and a lot of filler. Probably a little overwhelming for me, though.

There are loads of smaller festivals that are very old geezer friendly... Something tells me you may enjoy Burning Man.

Did you ever notice how horrible festival websites are? Where and When should be on the very first page, don'tcha think?

This is a bad time of the year for that info - dates and acts for the '09 shows are usually set in Jan/Feb. Location is standard for a major festival. Bonnaroo is in the middle of nowhere Tennessee, Coachella in the middle of nowhere CA, Burning Man in middle of nowhere Nevada, Austin is Austin.

There are loads of smaller festivals that are very old geezer friendly... Something tells me you may enjoy Burning Man.

This is a bad time of the year for that info - dates and acts for the '09 shows are usually set in Jan/Feb. Location is standard for a major festival. Bonnaroo is in the middle of nowhere Tennessee, Coachella in the middle of nowhere CA, Burning Man in middle of nowhere Nevada, Austin is Austin.

I figured out when and where they were, but the websites don't make that easy. (I also guessed that the Austin City Limits Festival was somewhere near Austin.) I know many people who have done Burning Man, I can't say it ever really appealed to me, overall. Way too fuc#ing hot, for one thing.

I'm actually more of a "best concert hall" available kind of guy. A good jazz club is good, too. But, I really like the ambiance, sound and comfort of good seats at the Opera or Symphony.

There is fading and there is experienced. I've seen some bands and were blown away at how good they were. (the late) Arthur Lee and Love. The Guess Who (reunited at SARS-fest in Toronto. Surprisingly good!) Steve Winwood. I'm still groggy from surgery (successful, thank you) so I can't think of any more.

PTR

Time Out is one of my favorite albums. I love the liner notes where they spell out the time signatures. Being a drummer it's very cool. And there are some funky times on the album. Take Five for instance is a 5/4 with the accent on the first beat. Funky man.

Speaking of funky meters Blue Rondo A La Turk is a 9/8 that goes 2+2+2+3 followed by a 3+3+3. !@#$ing great!

I had the chance to meet Brubeck and see him play and speak over 2-3 days last year. He did open Q/A sessions that were an absolute treasure - stories about playing in bands on the front in WWII, insisting on an integrated band (against the Army's wishes), studying composition with Darius Milhaud, the guys he played with over the years.

I had seen him play in the late 80s - at the time I'd never dreamed I would see him again 20 years later. I'll be happy to be able to identify a piano when I'm that age. Accuracy was not all there, but the RHYTHM was unbelievable.... good stuff. This event was at a university, and he played with the university Jazz band. What an opportunity for those kids to stand on stage with Dave Brubeck and play a few tunes. He was very gracious, warm, and genuine with his time and in working with the students.

All that said, I also wish I could have seen him play back in the day.....

Wow Tex that sounds amazing.I hope he has a few more of those speaking playing sessions in him. Im jealous.I need to look for that.

My wife was a "hair band" lover so I take her to some shows.

Poison CAN STILL ROCK! And worth every penny to see....

Crue Fest Crue was outstanding and Buckcherry was good too....

Def Lep Not bad live, still the ugly boys of all the hair bands but tour WAY too much!

Journey Nothing more to say, my all time fav and sound great even with a new lead singer...

Iron Maiden WOW! Just as I remember when I was 12 years old. THE ROCK MASTERS NEVER LOST A BEAT AND EDDIE

STILL LIVES!

Time Out is one of my favorite albums. I love the liner notes where they spell out the time signatures. Being a drummer it's very cool. And there are some funky times on the album. Take Five for instance is a 5/4 with the accent on the first beat. Funky man.

Speaking of funky meters Blue Rondo A La Turk is a 9/8 that goes 2+2+2+3 followed by a 3+3+3. !@#$ing great!

Yeah Chef thats one of the great things about Brubeck...those funky meters.I like Three To Get Ready from Time Out..so simple and so subtle.....