Is Matt Ryan really this good?

UncleBuff

I didnt regard him very highly before the draft. When Parcells passed on him and Atl drafted him I was convinced he was going to be mediocre. I think it was BadOldBillz who said he was a lock. Nice call!

He was very impressive today.

Still, I don't understand why Lovie Smith squibbed that last kickoff. Why not just kick very high and short?

He was very impressive today.

Still, I don't understand why Lovie Smith squibbed that last kickoff. Why not just kick very high and short?

Then why did ATL get all conservative in the 4Q, running the ball every play, only to have Jason Elam flub a 38 yarder?

PTR

Then why did ATL get all conservative in the 4Q, running the ball every play, only to have Jason Elam flub a 38 yarder?

PTR

I don't know. Ask Mike Smith.

22/30 for 301, and no turnovers in a win....I'll take that from a rookie QB any day of the week.

Not questioning Matt Ryan here...just asking why get all conservative?

PTR

If I had to guess, it's because at the time, Atlanta was up by two scores and wanted to run time off of the clock. I'm not saying it was the smartest strategy, but I think that--and not lack of confidence in Ryan--was the reason.

I didnt regard him very highly before the draft. When Parcells passed on him and Atl drafted him I was convinced he was going to be mediocre. I think it was BadOldBillz who said he was a lock. Nice call!

BADO called Ryan as the guy. I could never really make up my mind about him. I like his skills, but saw him make his share of boneheaded plays (and I only saw him play a few times). He certainly looks real good, so far.

FOX "superscout" Chris Landry said Ryan was a close to "can't miss" as any QB entering the NFL in the last 10 years. I still remeber the day he was drafted, and some caller from Atlanta was upset with the pick. The caller had mentioned that JaMarcus Russell had much more upside than Ryan. Landry scoffed and said, "before he shows up for his first OTA's in Atlanta, Matt Ryan is a better NFL QB than Russell will ever be..." Landrey isn't one for outlandish statements, so I take his word on this...Ryan is going to be good.

Ryan is another example of how important the QB position is. It may be a team game, but a bad QB can sink a team & a good QB can elevate a team. Atlanta was 4-12 because last year they had Harrington, Leftwich & Redman-all wash outs with other teams. This year they're a playoff contender with a good rookie. Funny how when you mention the difference between our QBs the (few remaining) JP defenders say it's a team game when you cite W-L records & for years they've been arguing that QBs need years for "the light to come on".

You either have it or you don't-Ryan has it. Harrington to Ryan is =JP to Trent. QBs win and lose for a reason. When 2 QBs have drastically different W-L records with the same team, it's the QB who is making all the difference.

That is the crazy talk. Trent is solid, but Matt Ryan will be 10x the QB that Edwards will be.

No, you're wrong. Matt Ryan was taken 3rd overall and Trent Edwards was taken 92nd overall, so Ryan will be approximately 31 times the QB that Edwards will be.

But seriously, they're both leading young teams to surprisingly good records, can't we call it a wash right now?

I watched his game vs Tampa Bay, and I came away impressed. I had seen him fold like a cheap tent in the face of pressure while @ BC, but he really made some impressive throws while being pursued in that game and he shook off a horrible start to end up w/ a decent game. To this point, it would seem I was wrong 'bout Ryan's NFL prospects. Now, I still don't know if he's the greatest thing since sliced bread or anything like that, but he belongs in the pros, that's for sure.

FOX "superscout" Chris Landry said Ryan was a close to "can't miss" as any QB entering the NFL in the last 10 years. I still remeber the day he was drafted, and some caller from Atlanta was upset with the pick. The caller had mentioned that JaMarcus Russell had much more upside than Ryan. Landry scoffed and said, "before he shows up for his first OTA's in Atlanta, Matt Ryan is a better NFL QB than Russell will ever be..." Landrey isn't one for outlandish statements, so I take his word on this...Ryan is going to be good.

If he wants to survive in this league he'd better put some meat on those Chicken legs he's got.

that was pretty nice, but it was his play against florida state that didn't really impress me.

Yeah, that game sucked last year. In his defense, BC had terrible receivers. However, I've seen every game he played in college, and I never had any doubt he would be a quality NFL QB- just not this fast.

Yeah, that game sucked last year. In his defense, BC had terrible receivers. However, I've seen every game he played in college, and I never had any doubt he would be a quality NFL QB- just not this fast.

yeah, my review of him only consisted of seeing the VT and FSU games... haha :(

yeah, my review of him only consisted of seeing the VT and FSU games... haha :lol:

Yeah, I can definitely see why anyone that saw him only in the losses from last year would be down on him- he played extremely poorly in the Maryland game, admittedly. Keep an eye on him though- he's gonna be around awhile :(

Yeah, I can definitely see why anyone that saw him only in the losses from last year would be down on him- he played extremely poorly in the Maryland game, admittedly. Keep an eye on him though- he's gonna be around awhile :(

I watched every game last year, and most the year before, (my wife is a BC alum), and my impression of the problem was that the coaches were intent on putting him in a position to win the Heisman last year and forced the team to become very one dimensional. Unfortunately, that dimension included a number of WR's that will never see a pro football field after graduation.

If BC had stuck to their overall team strength and used the OL to open running lanes, Ryan and the team actually would have had a much better year overall.

Ryan has all the tools and temperment to be a great QB in this league for a long time.

I watched every game last year, and most the year before, (my wife is a BC alum), and my impression of the problem was that the coaches were intent on putting him in a position to win the Heisman last year and forced the team to become very one dimensional. Unfortunately, that dimension included a number of WR's that will never see a pro football field after graduation.

If BC had stuck to their overall team strength and used the OL to open running lanes, Ryan and the team actually would have had a much better year overall.

Ryan has all the tools and temperment to be a great QB in this league for a long time.

That's a good assessment. Their run game was all but ignored in favor of having an elite player try to win every game- without quality receivers, this cannot work, and it did not. No balance last year. I agree with you though that his demeanor and tools give him a bright future in the NFL.

As good as Ryan was - I thought the real superstar in the game yesterday was Roddy White. He caught everything thrown his way.

C