Would we have picked someone other than Mckelvin if....

Would we have picked someone other than Mckelvin if we knew Youboty would step up so dramatically and went from zero to hero? Because when the 08 draft happened, we all thought that Youboty was done for and we would never see him in a bills uniform come september. But now here he is as one of the biggest surprise players. And we have more DBs than any other position we have. I think the chances of us trading down would have been bigger, maybe going after a better TE or maybe taking hardy with another high ranking WR. Because right now there doesnt seem to be even any space for him as a starter even if he was ready. which he might be. thoughts?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would we have picked someone other than Mckelvin if we knew Youboty would step up so dramatically and went from zero to hero? Because when the 08 draft happened, we all thought that Youboty was done for and we would never see him in a bills uniform come september. But now here he is as one of the biggest surprise players. And we have more DBs than any other position we have. I think the chances of us trading down would have been bigger, maybe going after a better TE or maybe taking hardy with another high ranking WR. Because right now there doesnt seem to be even any space for him as a starter even if he was ready. which he might be. thoughts?

Probably not, but it's great to have the depth there if the team doesn't want to re-sign Greer (who might command a fairly large deal from another team).

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have taken McKelvin but with the emergence of Youboty and the find of Reggie Corner IMO, the Bills have the deepest CB corp. in the NFL. There are teams with better starters but I don't think those teams have as much talent all the way down the line. The fact that the Bills first round pick is sitting on the bench is a testimony to that. Some pundits have said that having too many corners is like having too much money. Can't supply a link just remember reading it earlier this year, I believe before the draft.

I dont think so. There were other positions we needed at that time, but the skill and ability of the best remaining players at those positions wasnt that great.

Youbooty has vastly improved. I thaught he was a bum last year, and probubly part of the reason we sucked agenst the run. Now he looks great.

If Greer can just learn that pass defense invloves more than just diving and sticking one arm in the air, then we would have a pair of nice young CBs.

I dont think so. There were other positions we needed at that time, but the skill and ability of the best remaining players at those positions wasnt that great.

Youbooty has vastly improved. I thaught he was a bum last year, and probubly part of the reason we sucked agenst the run. Now he looks great.

If Greer can just learn that pass defense invloves more than just diving and sticking one arm in the air, then we would have a pair of nice young CBs.

I don't quite agree. Pass defense is preventing the receiver from catching the ball, even if that is just diving and sticking one arm in the air. Turn overs are a second priority. Greer does his job, and nobody behind him can be described as threatening him for his job. I'd really doubt that knowledgeable fans are complaining about how he's performed.

That's ridiculous. Greer, more than pretty much any CB i've seen here in Buffalo, is always in a position to make a play on the ball. If he were 3 inches bigger, he'd be a top 5 CB in this league.

Aside from the good point about free agency looming for Greer -- and how crazy the market has become for CBs in the market -- last year is testimony to how long the season can be when injuries occur. McKelvin was their top-rated player, so I suspect they would have taken him anyway.

Franchise or Transition tag? At least we can make a trade and get something for him.

Greer is a FA at the end of the season. It wouldnt surprise me at all to see the Bills let him walk, because he'll probably command some big bucks on the market. They you have mckelvin and youboty ready to step in for him.

Excellent point. That is why they chose him. With Evans and possibly Peters along with Edwards in probably 2 years, they can't pay everyone. I think Greer leaves.

Should've picked Rivers in hindsight, knowing (1) Crowell is done, (2) Youboty and Corner can play.

I agree..Not having Crowell this yr is gonna hurt us at some point this year..And if we have any LB's go down for a serious injury we could be in for a rough time..The one position on defense we are thin at is lb..

You do know this is a McKelvin thread and Rivers wasn't in last years draft, right?

Ha, I love that. This guy tries to call someone out, but ended up making a fool of himself.

I'd agree with the poster who opted for Rivers, except that Rivers was unavailable at the time we drafted because he went earlier.

That's ridiculous. Greer, more than pretty much any CB i've seen here in Buffalo, is always in a position to make a play on the ball. If he were 3 inches bigger, he'd be a top 5 CB in this league.

I can't agree with you more! Short memories seem to be the case with some of us. We are all Bills fans but please give credit where it's due. Remeber Greer shutdown T.O. -something like 2 catches for 25yds last year and has been SOLID every since in spite of the height difference. Mike22nc your spot on, give him 3"s and he's a pro-bowler. Just seems like whenever there's someone in reserve that may be or has the potienal to be better then the person ahead of them some fan seem to think the guy starting is chopped liver. This is far from the case here. We have the luxury of being able to sit L Mckelvin so that's money in the bank for us, and believe me I'm sure it will be paying dividends sooner than later :(