Would we have picked someone other than Mckelvin if....

Right on Dean. Also, I don't see Greer getting any kind of tag either. I like the guy, and think he'll get more $ than Buffalo is willing to pay, but no way in hell will he get franchise or even transition type money be it by tag or a contract offer. I would bet my life on it. For real.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on Dean. Also, I don't see Greer getting any kind of tag either. I like the guy, and think he'll get more $ than Buffalo is willing to pay, but no way in hell will he get franchise or even transition type money be it by tag or a contract offer. I would bet my life on it. For real.

I will be pretty surprised in Greer gets HUGE offers as a FA. He has been a starter for one year, now. He isn't an big INT guy, isn't a particularly good tackler, not big (even for a corner) or flashy.

I suspect he will get more than he will be worth for the Bills to keep him, though.

Let me clarify my view. I'm pretty sure the Bills wouldn't mind keeping Greer at around what they are currently paying McGee, which I believe was around 5 years 17 M or something like that. Greer will probably get a 5 year 25-30 M deal from someone else (5-6M per year). A franchise or transition tag will pay him 7-9 M at a one year minimum. NOBODY will give him that.

Let me clarify my view. I'm pretty sure the Bills wouldn't mind keeping Greer at around what they are currently paying McGee, which I believe was around 5 years 17 M or something like that. Greer will probably get a 5 year 25-30 M deal from someone else (5-6M per year). A franchise or transition tag will pay him 7-9 M at a one year minimum. NOBODY will give him that.

That all sounds about right, to me. I will be surprised (but not shocked) if a team give him much more than that.

I know this thread is about Mckelvin. Then someone mentioned we were thin at LB, which I strongly agree. In matter of fact that should be our first round draft selection in 09. I want Rey Maualuga, what a beast.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2008/09/eyes...y-maualuga.html

The only problem is he wont be there with the 32nd pick.

Every time they said "Maualuga" during the USC/OSU game, it sounded like "Mamaluka". I was laughing to myself (but out loud), "What a mamaluke!"

But, yes he is quite good, and no he isn't likely to be around when the Bills draft.

I still think the bills tag him, yes I understand it is expensive but it is only one year and I feel they need time to let the others develop, case in point Youboty. I also thought transition tags were not top 5 money but am not sure (after reading this thread) so I could be wrong (when I get some time I'll research it better). I of course, wish they were talking about extending him now.

I still think the bills tag him, yes I understand it is expensive but it is only one year and I feel they need time to let the others develop, case in point Youboty. I also thought transition tags were not top 5 money but am not sure (after reading this thread) so I could be wrong (when I get some time I'll research it better). I of course, wish they were talking about extending him now.

t-tag is top 10 money........it's not exactly that useful though - it only gives the team the right to match and doesn't provide any compensation if they decline to match the offer

Greer is a FA at the end of the season. It wouldnt surprise me at all to see the Bills let him walk, because he'll probably command some big bucks on the market. They you have mckelvin and youboty ready to step in for him.

bingo

The only way the Bills pay Greer the same amount they pay McGee is if the huge increase that the current CBA has brought to the cap and players salary vastly forces the Bills to shovel out money left and right. In terms of relative player value on the face of it McGee is far more valuable to the Bills:

1. McGee gets a shot at making all the plays he is making because other teams are generally choosing to pick on Greer because McGee is better than he is. This is likely to increase because despite Greer finally showing some consistency in regular season (until last year he was outstanding in pre-season only to see his performance tail off in regular season making him often the 4th CB at best on most teams he played for, McGee has been even more impressive getting a couple of nice INTs so far.

2. McGee has the added value of being a top level kick returner.

It seems far more likely to me unless there are some injuries that this may be Greer's last year as a Bill.