Would we have picked someone other than Mckelvin if....

I dont think so. There were other positions we needed at that time, but the skill and ability of the best remaining players at those positions wasnt that great.

Youbooty has vastly improved. I thaught he was a bum last year, and probubly part of the reason we sucked agenst the run. Now he looks great.

If Greer can just learn that pass defense invloves more than just diving and sticking one arm in the air, then we would have a pair of nice young CBs.

Greer is an excellent corner and that is not a fair criticism.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he is talking about Keith Rivers, not Philip. Anyway, the linebacker Rivers was gone when the Bills picked anyway.

C'mon guy, think before you decide to call somebody out. KEITH Rivers.

Keith Rivers was gone when the Bills picked. I imagined you wouldn't be silly enough to say the Bills would've drafted a guy already gone from the board. That's why I assumed you were talking about Philip Rivers who was available when Buffalo picked. :wallbash:

Keith Rivers was gone when the Bills picked. I imagined you wouldn't be silly enough to say the Bills would've drafted a guy already gone from the board. That's why I assumed you were talking about Philip Rivers who was available when Buffalo picked. :wallbash:

Good one.

Greer is a FA at the end of the season. It wouldnt surprise me at all to see the Bills let him walk, because he'll probably command some big bucks on the market. They you have mckelvin and youboty ready to step in for him.

Agreed Greer is prolly gone which is to bad imo because i like him alot. Having this depth is not a bad thing however. I like knowing one guy could go down and we have someone just as good to step in. It allows for your defense to not miss a beat. Good problem to have IMO

Was suggesting a trade up for Keith Rivers, sorry if I wasn't clear. And if trading up wasn't an option, than Curtis Lofton may have been a good option as well, although he definitely had a lower grade than McKelvin (and plays MLB right now).

Agreed Greer is prolly gone which is to bad imo because i like him alot. Having this depth is not a bad thing however. I like knowing one guy could go down and we have someone just as good to step in. It allows for your defense to not miss a beat. Good problem to have IMO

Well, the issue with rising and good teams is knowing who to keep and who is good but easily replaceable. To me, players like Lee Evans and Jason Peters are indispensable. They deserve the big bucks. You pay your stars, and you're going to have to let some players walk. That is players like Greer and Crowell. They are both nice players and add to the team, but are easily replaced via FA or the draft, so you don't break the bank for them. I'd like to keep Greer, but with youboty coming on and mckelvin waiting in the wings, theres no reason to pay the Greer 5-6 mil per year he'll get on the open market.

Look how the colts do it. They pay their superstars big bucks to stay around, but this means you have to let decent players walk for more money elsewhere. They're constantly losing players, but they lose them at easily replaceable positions like LB.

Was suggesting a trade up for Keith Rivers, sorry if I wasn't clear. And if trading up wasn't an option, than Curtis Lofton may have been a good option as well, although he definitely had a lower grade than McKelvin (and plays MLB right now).

Gotcha! :wallbash:

Well, the issue with rising and good teams is knowing who to keep and who is good but easily replaceable. To me, players like Lee Evans and Jason Peters are indispensable. They deserve the big bucks. You pay your stars, and you're going to have to let some players walk. That is players like Greer and Crowell. They are both nice players and add to the team, but are easily replaced via FA or the draft, so you don't break the bank for them. I'd like to keep Greer, but with youboty coming on and mckelvin waiting in the wings, theres no reason to pay the Greer 5-6 mil per year he'll get on the open market.

Look how the colts do it. They pay their superstars big bucks to stay around, but this means you have to let decent players walk for more money elsewhere. They're constantly losing players, but they lose them at easily replaceable positions like LB.

Crowell may be affordable since he was injured this year. I also think Whitner falls into the indispensible category.

Gotcha! :wallbash:

Crowell may be affordable since he was injured this year. I also think Whitner falls into the indispensible category.

Well, a few years back Polian said that he considered the following positions "keepers" on his team, and these guys were getting the big bucks if they were good; QB, WR, LT, DE, and S. Notice who he's kept and paid the big bucks to on the Colts?

i didn't realize that Greer's contract is up, or might be up. Mckelvin would def be needed if we let Greer walk. Especially if tom brady is back to form next season.

When i thought about it, i thought that the bills would not have taken Greer had they knew youboty would be a solid player. but i also couln't really think of who else to pick, that was worth the 11th pick. People are saying Rivers, and that would be the best one that i could think of, but he wasnt available and he wasn't worth trading up for. I would have thought trading down would have been better, but it looked like a draft that would be hard to do that. It was just something that i was pondering, since we haven't really seen much of McKelvin and Youboty it taking care of things nicely.

Let's not forget CB Will James; we signed him even before we drafted McKelvin. If they drafted McKelvin despite having signed a notable free agent to shore up the DB corps, I'd say it was a case of "we're taking the best player on the board regardless of the position" mantra that we picked McKelvin.

Had they known Ashton "Shake" Youbouty would have been such a good player, they probably wouldn't have signed James, but they probably would've still drafted Leodis.

Would we have picked someone other than Mckelvin if we knew Youboty would step up...

6 out of the next 10 picks were O-lineman, 5 of those 6 were tackles. We could have picked Ryan Clady or Brandon Albert

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_Draft

also, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie might have been taken

I agree..Not having Crowell this yr is gonna hurt us at some point this year..And if we have any LB's go down for a serious injury we could be in for a rough time..The one position on defense we are thin at is lb..

I must admit, though losing another LB will be rough, at least we've seen that we can play nickel defense with Youbouty [instead of the third LB] and not have a drop-off in the quality of run defense or pass rushing, as he's been doing both pretty well.

i didn't realize that Greer's contract is up, or might be up. Mckelvin would def be needed if we let Greer walk. Especially if tom brady is back to form next season.

When i thought about it, i thought that the bills would not have taken Greer had they knew youboty would be a solid player. but i also couln't really think of who else to pick, that was worth the 11th pick. People are saying Rivers, and that would be the best one that i could think of, but he wasnt available and he wasn't worth trading up for. I would have thought trading down would have been better, but it looked like a draft that would be hard to do that. It was just something that i was pondering, since we haven't really seen much of McKelvin and Youboty it taking care of things nicely.

Smart teams look ahead to next years needs due to end of season FA's on the team. A finer point of drafting that many people on this board don't understand.

If Youboty was playing like he is now last year they may not have seen it as a big enough need to spend a first rounder on.

I think there were a variety of factors in McKelvin's selection and most have been hit on in this thread. The fact of the matter is the guy is a sick athlete and when the game slows down for him he's gonna be amazing.

I remember a lot of people really bagging on McGee when he was tossed in there under fire and he's turned out to be a very good CB.

When Philip Rivers was drafted, it was at #4 by the NY Giants. He was not on the board when the Bills picked, as we were not the second or third pick that year. So either way, you were wrong.