Evans' Contract Status

BillsVet

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember some fans worrying that Evans wasn't a fan of Edwards because the two didn't work together as well as Evans did with Losman. Not to comment on Losman, but it's fair to say Evans and Edwards have developed something in a short time. Granted, it's after two whole games, but apparently Evans wants to remain in Buffalo and knows Edwards is dedicated to improving.

At the end of the day, WR's like whatever QB gets them the ball. Edwards is doing that, and the Bills are winning. I'm sure that positively affected negotiations.

Lee discusses JP and Trent.

Interview with Lee

Linkage

So before the team reported to training camp, Evans hooked up last month with Edwards and fellow receivers Roscoe Parrish and Justin Jenkins down in Fort Lauderdale for workouts designed to accelerate the bonding process.

"More so for a young quarterback, just to get back into the swing of things and throw as many routes as possible," said Evans. "It was just to get the timing, get the feel down."

Evans article per John Wawrow

Nice to see that things have "suddenly heated up" regarding a new contract. I've wondered what has taken so long (6+ months now) for the Bills to re-sign their best receiver. Through two games, Evans' lack of a new deal hasn't affected his play. He's caught eight passes for 179 yards in two games.

Thanks for posting this. It cannot be over emphasized how important it is to keep Evans. I would hate for the Bills to lose him and be virtually mandated to trying to replace him with a first round pick. Receivers take longer to develop than most positions, so it would probably be a step back under almost any conditions.

What they do wrt the Evans situation will say a ton about the current mindset and future of this franchise imo.

WOOO HOOO!!!

I wonder if truly learning that he and TE will be good for each other has anything to do with this? He may have given in a little bit to stay here or Buffalo may have realized he's a franchise receiver and gave a little bit or maybe both.

I think that his price goes up with every good game he has and he has had two already. Can you imagine the meetings? Agent": "Russ, how many catches did Lee have yesterday? How much do you think that catch against the Jags is worth?" Russ: "I know, I know"

All in all, trying to find the money for a player who is playing great is not the worst problem for a team to have.

Thanks for posting this. It cannot be over emphasized how important it is to keep Evans. I would hate for the Bills to lose him and be virtually mandated to trying to replace him with a first round pick. Receivers take longer to develop than most positions, so it would probably be a step back under almost any conditions.

What they do wrt the Evans situation will say a ton about the current mindset and future of this franchise imo.

I can't beleive they would pull a Clements or Winfield move with this guy. It does raise an issue however, is there a price that would be too high to keep Lee Evans? There was with Clements. Do you think there is a line in the sand out there somewhere even for a guy this good?

This has been the longest negotiation I've ever seen where both sides keep talking about how great everything is going. I wonder if there's just really not a sense of urgency - the Bills have probably told Evans that he'll get the franchise tag if he doesn't sign, which also sets a reasonable floor. So they've got to July to work something out.

I want Lee Evans to retire as a Bill, with multiple Superbowl rings!

:pirate: I agree 100%! It will be a great day for the Bills once he is resigned. Also, you gotta love his attitude through this whole thing- kinda 'I'm going to go out and do my best on the football field, I'm not too worried about the talks, it'll get done sort of thing'. And he's playing great!

This has been the longest negotiation I've ever seen where both sides keep talking about how great everything is going. I wonder if there's just really not a sense of urgency - the Bills have probably told Evans that he'll get the franchise tag if he doesn't sign, which also sets a reasonable floor. So they've got to July to work something out.

It's hilarious that the only impatient people here are the fans. Without doing a lot of research, I don't remember any articles that said they were close; everything seemed to state that talks were continuing, but they weren't really all that close to a deal, and more importantly, that nobody was concerned.

Lee Evans is not in a hurry, his stock continues to rise, the FO knows he wants to stay here, and he's a reasonable dude. There's no reason whatsoever to even mention the franchise tag to him, as negotiations are continuing and progressing.

It does raise an issue however, is there a price that would be too high to keep Lee Evans? There was with Clements. Do you think there is a line in the sand out there somewhere even for a guy this good?

Exactly. Evans may not want to sign, regardless of what the Bills offer him, because he could get a Clements deal on the open market.

i have as much inside info as the next poster, so take it for what its worth, but i have to imagine it has been the Evans camp dragging their feet on this signing.

he HAD to have known he was bound for a better year than last year, and signing based off of the previous couple of seasons would have been a stupid move on his part.

The longer he waited/waits, the more money he gets.

i doubt he is not re-signed because of lack of front office effort.

Exactly. Evans may not want to sign, regardless of what the Bills offer him, because he could get a Clements deal on the open market.

Evans also must consider security. If he sustains some sort of a significant injury (God forbid), then he risks losing his big contract. So, I think it makes sense for BOTH parties to come to an agreement in the near-term.

i have as much inside info as the next poster, so take it for what its worth, but i have to imagine it has been the Evans camp dragging their feet on this signing.

he HAD to have known he was bound for a better year than last year, and signing based off of the previous couple of seasons would have been a stupid move on his part.

The longer he waited/waits, the more money he gets.

i doubt he is not re-signed because of lack of front office effort.

Hopefully Evans wants a ring as much as a raise. If he gets the feeling that these Bills are serious contenders, he may be more inclined to stay. Not saying taking much less, but more willing to compremise.

PTR

I remember some fans worrying that Evans wasn't a fan of Edwards because the two didn't work together as well as Evans did with Losman. Not to comment on Losman, but it's fair to say Evans and Edwards have developed something in a short time. Granted, it's after two whole games, but apparently Evans wants to remain in Buffalo and knows Edwards is dedicated to improving.

At the end of the day, WR's like whatever QB gets them the ball. Edwards is doing that, and the Bills are winning. I'm sure that positively affected negotiations.

Personally, I think this WAY overblown by the JP Losman haters / Trent Edward lovers. In fact, many of them wanted to run Evans off the team, because he had the audacity to stick up for JP and the way he was being treated.