Buffalo Winters...

Marv Levy

I'm not sure I get all the hysteria. I lived on the coast of Florida for a few years and dealt with multiple hurricanes in the 2-3 category range. It was pretty intense, and at times scary, but all this "certain death" talk they are playing up on the news seems like a bit of a stretch. What is so big about this cat 2 hurricane?

I'm not sure I get all the hysteria. I lived on the coast of Florida for a few years and dealt with multiple hurricanes in the 2-3 category range. It was pretty intense, and at times scary, but all this "certain death" talk they are playing up on the news seems like a bit of a stretch. What is so big about this cat 2 hurricane?

24/7 media need something to hype

I just can't believe the morons (aka interns) that the networks get to stand out in the blow - reporting ??

The one dude kept holding that microphone cord - I doubt he was grounded - Darwin material right there (LIGHTNING STRIKE ANYONE ?)

Its humongous, taking up half the gulf of mexico, almost as big as the state of Texas and is bringing walls of water 20-25 feet tall crashing down on the coastline...other than that...nothing really...

Apparently it must be a pretty big deal since one of the meteorologists at the weather channel was saying this storm could be catastrophic and in some ways as bad as Katrina was...

At least with a hurricane you can have a story to tell. What is there to say about lake effect except talking about the time you spun out?

Are you kidding me? I don't know about you, but I have a number of interesting blizzard stories, to tell. I LOVE major snow storms!

Are you kidding me? I don't know about you, but I have a number of interesting blizzard stories, to tell. I LOVE major snow storms!

Blizzard of '85 - at Slomba's (Fillmore Ave) was that you or Hogboy ? Some similarity there

We had to shovel the street for a diaper and beer run :nana:

Sign of the time - Blizzard of '77 was just for beer and smokes - no diapers yet :nana:

I'm sorry, but upstate NY winters suck. That's why I moved to LA. I'll take earthquakes, fires, mudslides, and traffic any day over gray skies and cold from October to May.

They do suck....but some of the best summers in the country, and THE best festivals in the country make up for it...

besides....you might change your mind when you wake up in the middle of the night riding your bed down the side of a cliff!

Blizzard of '85 - at Slomba's (Fillmore Ave) was that you or Hogboy ? Some similarity there

We had to shovel the street for a diaper and beer run :nana:

Sign of the time - Blizzard of '77 was just for beer and smokes - no diapers yet :nana:

I have a great '77 story, and many great Slomba experiences...but, I don't think the '85 blizzard/Slombas story is mine. I have a pretty good '85 blizzard/mushrooms/CPG story, though.

The thing about Slombas was, I remember going there a lot, but have very few memories of leaving the place.

Yeah, but every once in a while she gives you one of

Beautiful!

But, did she say something like "Anybody ignoring the warnings may face certain death"?

MAY face CERTAIN death...WOW! If you go outside you might be certainly killed...but, just maybe.

Beautiful!

But, did she say something like "Anybody ignoring the warnings may face certain death"?

MAY face CERTAIN death...WOW! If you go outside you might be certainly killed...but, just maybe.

Exactly what she said. Station I listened to on the way home pointed out the same thing. Certain possible death. :nana:

Exactly what she said. Station I listened to on the way home pointed out the same thing. Certain possible death. :nana:

It's kinda like when McCain's little a$$boy, Lindsey Graham, said,"It has been proven the Saddam may have had WMD" :nana:

Anyway...as someone who was rescued by boat from my front porch last year, give me a blizzard ANYDAY.

Its humongous, taking up half the gulf of mexico, almost as big as the state of Texas and is bringing walls of water 20-25 feet tall crashing down on the coastline...other than that...nothing really...

Apparently it must be a pretty big deal since one of the meteorologists at the weather channel was saying this storm could be catastrophic and in some ways as bad as Katrina was...

And the city of Galveston is something like 19 ft above seal level at its highest point. A hurricane hit on 9/8/1900. About 6000 died.

And the city of Galveston is something like 19 ft above seal level at its highest point. A hurricane hit on 9/8/1900. About 6000 died.

1900 - Before any kind of modern protection - no foundation - no building codes - no warning

2008 - Post Modernization - Major Building Restrictions and Safety Features - WARNINGS FOR DAYS!!

Post when you have substance. Media is probably over-hyping the situation, like it did with Katrina. Look beyond the obvious and why problems happen. Poor local governmental structure to help alleviate problems in New Orleans for years and years knowing that the problems existed. No structure to help with evacuations all add up to hundreds dead. At least Galveston knows its coming and will be leaving the same day. Prepare and move on.

I have a great '77 story, and many great Slomba experiences...but, I don't think the '85 blizzard/Slombas story is mine. I have a pretty good '85 blizzard/mushrooms/CPG story, though.

The thing about Slombas was, I remember going there a lot, but have very few memories of leaving the place.

the stuffed mushroom?:unsure:

I love snow and hurricanes, and just about everything else. Mother Nature is amazing!

That's a wonderful thing to say, especially when I still have sandbags around my house, standing water, and flood damage from a TROPICAL STORM that happened weeks ago.

Seriously, the city I live in (Debary, FL) received over 20" of rain in 2-3 days. It was horrible. The after affects from a storm like that are horrid, including the bugs, frogs, smells, etc. If you love them so much, how about coming over and helping with the clean up!!!

Remember this; you can shovel snow, you can't shovel water and stank!!!! But the winters are nice.....

I do understand the issues with Galveston, and yes, those people are in a for some trouble. But again, I lived in Cocoa Beach, about two blocks from the ocean, and it is surrounded by water. We'll see, I guess. All I know is that when I was living with this kind of thing, we didn't start worrying about evacs or potential death until there was a storm approaching Cat 4. Only had one of those while we were there; we evacuated and came back to minor damage (mostly flooding) and no electricity for about 2 weeks.

Everyone in the country rips on Buffalo NY winters, but I much rather take that than these F#&ing Hurricanes! Holy smokes, Texas is getting pounded! Its a disaster. Houston might be gone by tomorrow. WOW!!

Au contraire, mon frère. With all due respect to the folks who have (me being one of them), who are, and who will be enduring hurricanes; there are a few upsides....

1. No more leaves to rake. The ones in your yard have been blown to, oh let's say, South Dakota, just for example.
    Your car is clean. As in "Pressure Cleaned". Nothing like a 110MPH car wash to make that baby shine. A little dinged up from flying roof tiles and coconuts perhaps, but clean nonetheless. Too bad you left the windows open, though.
    You don't have to water your lawn for a month. You can catch a 6 lb. largemouth bass in your front yard from what is left of your porch.
    You get to play with all the cool battery powered radios, TV's, laptops and flashlights and candles and stuff that you spend $1,879 on for "Hurricane Supplies".
    You get to finally clean out all your canned goods. You do get sick of beans and tuna after 6 days, though. Too bad your electric can opener won't work.
    Your electricity usage goes way down. Your electric bill, mysteriously, does not.
    You get to see the stars at night. Lots and LOTS of stars. And boy is it quiet. Except for all the portable generators blatting away...until they run out of gas....which brings me to....
    You don't waste gas driving around all day. None of the gas stations have gas, because they've been out of gas since the hurricane was just a couple of clouds off Cape Verde. And silly you put off filling up the SUV while waiting for gas to fall below $10 a gallon.
    You get a break from all the political hoo hah. You do get lots of hurricane hoo hah instead which believe it or not, makes you actually long for political hoo hah again after about 2 days. McCain, Biden, Obama and Palin are on next year's list for hurricane names.
    All those ripped screens that your wife has been bugging you to fix, will now be replaced courtesy of your insurance company because they have been blown to, oh let's say, North Dakota, just for example. First you have to get your roof replaced though.
    You get a new and exciting second and third job to pay for the new insurance premiums, which have increased by some insane logarithmic formula only Steven Hawking could understand.
    You get a couple of days off work....which is really great until you get so tired of beans and tuna and stars and no gasoline and no electricity and no roof and stifling heat that you contemplate moving to North or South Dakota where you find mysterious piles of leaves and screens as well as Steven Hawking who is busy working on your new exponential insurance premium.

I'm sorry, but upstate NY winters suck. That's why I moved to LA. I'll take earthquakes, fires, mudslides, and traffic any day over gray skies and cold from October to May.

With global warming the winters aren't too bad as of late. I would say sweatshirt weather in Oct and Nov and then again the last part of March through May. That only leaves Dec-first part of March as being really cold. I love sweatshirt weather with the crisp cool air at night, beautiful sleeping weather.

I lived in Florida for 4 years and you can keep the 95 and humid everyday from April to October.

I lived in Florida for 4 years and you can keep the 95 and humid everyday from April to October.

Amen.

Real men and women venture forth into the cold with great zeal and fortitude. They embrace winter gladly and do not cower indoors all day. The best way to deal with winter is to accept it as it is...go out and hike, snowshoe, ski, hunt, ice fish, snowmobile, sled.

Winter is great...just not for pussies. :unsure:

Buffalo winters are nothing. If you can drive in snow - you'll be fine. If not - expect to be in the shop at least once a year getting your power steering fixed or bumper replaced

So far i've driven in 4 winters and zero accidents

Four whole winters?

Went through Jeanne, Francis , and Wilma , seemed like getting machined gunned by mother nature.

Anybody staying on 10 foot high island with a 20 ft wall of water coming is a moron. God bless them though.

Don't believe even the eye of a Cat 1 is nothing till you've had to deal with it and the after recovery.

After Francis, my wife and I spent morning till dusk with a chain saw for two weeks clearing the yard. Both sides of all the streets in the entire county were piled 10 ft high and deep in seamless heaps of debris for weeks. One benefit..less for Francis to blow down, only took one week to clean up. Next year Wilma comes and tears off the screened in porch and half the roof. That was fun.

Insurance that suddenly doesn't cover this or that, no work/ business = no income for weeks, no electric and all that entails, no phone service ( on yeh, cell towers get blown down too).Don't need the car nobody has any gas, If you do drive all the traffic lights are out for weeks( and that brings out the "best in everyone", yeah right) Wait until you've seen people fight over bags of ice at the grocery store. no joke.

Maybe keeping the kids home and getting out the flying saucers is a better idea.