edwards will be the next brady/roethlisberger

robert

I think you missed the point, the point was that Walsh spoke highly of Edwards, but some of his choices on other QBs were wrong, so it was more the opinion on his comments regarding other QB's than the fact that he a was a good/great coach who won Super Bowls

And it's actually more of a testament to Walsh's coaching skills than an indication of his scouting and personnel skills. After all, he managed to win three Super Bowls with a guy he didn't really want (Montana) and helped guide him to a HoF career.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you missed the point, the point was that Walsh spoke highly of Edwards, but some of his choices on other QBs were wrong, so it was more the opinion on his comments regarding other QB's than the fact that he a was a good/great coach who won Super Bowls

I did not miss the point.

I was responding to a post that took issue with my statement that Walsh was correct a lot more than he was wrong. I think that three super bowl wins would demonstrate to even the most cynical (pun intended) people that Bill Walsh knew football.

I find it odd that we are even debating this. It seems that some people feel compelled to take shots at one of the legends of the game because it fits in with whatever view they have of our QBs.

i know this is a bit premature but i know a great qb when i see one and the thing that separates the average from the great is a field general who can process a defense quickly and adapt during the game as a qb. i mean calling ur own plays and dictating to the offense. this is what u see from manning and brady, they dont have great arms or great o-lines, they r 3 steps ahead of everyone else where it counts. edwards is extremely smart and has a solid o-line, with evans parrish reed and hardy u might see lightning strike again in buffalo. having a great qb is what counts and is the only way to win in this league, bottom line. bill walsh told levy about edwards and i can guarantee u walsh wasnt wrong.

Are you serious with this comment. Brady stand behind a Wall of an OL and so does Peyton. Up until tarik Glenn retired he was never touched. And both have very strong arms. Name @ QB's with better arms and accuracy. You wont find one.

Are you serious with this comment. Brady stand behind a Wall of an OL and so does Peyton. Up until tarik Glenn retired he was never touched. And both have very strong arms. Name @ QB's with better arms and accuracy. You wont find one.

brady and roethlisberger have some of the best offensive lines I've ever seen. the bills OL still needs to prove it can protect the qb and run block

He was? You might want to do some research on that theory.

Bills Walsh originally did not want Joe Montana, he wanted a guy named Steve Dils.

Walsh had to be pushed into selecting Montana by others within the 49ers organization.

It wasn't Steve Dils, who was picked 97th that year, it was Steve Fuller, who was picked in the 1st round at pick 23 who was the QB that Walsh wanted. We had his pick from the OJ trade so he didn't have a 1st rounder and missed out on Fuller. The 49ers didn't pick until 29th. He settled for Montana at pick 82.

I was responding to a post that took issue with my statement that Walsh was correct a lot more than he was wrong. I think that three super bowl wins would demonstrate to even the most cynical (pun intended) people that Bill Walsh knew football.

I find it odd that we are even debating this. It seems that some people feel compelled to take shots at one of the legends of the game because it fits in with whatever view they have of our QBs.

I'm not taking shots at Walsh as a coach, my statement was that he was not great when it came to personnel decisions---- i am not trying to make anything fit with any view of our QB's. Never stated that once

It wasn't Steve Dils, who was picked 97th that year, it was Steve Fuller, who was picked in the 1st round at pick 23 who was the QB that Walsh wanted. We had his pick from the OJ trade so he didn't have a 1st rounder and missed out on Fuller. The 49ers didn't pick until 29th. He settled for Montana at pick 82.

My apologies. I should have clarified. Dils was not his "first" choice, but was his preferred choice over Montana in the third round.

Regardless, Walsh had Montana rated behind Fuller and Dils. How did those two players turn out?

I was responding to a post that took issue with my statement that Walsh was correct a lot more than he was wrong.

So, based on what you have seen, was Walsh more right or wrong on evaluating QBs?

I think that three super bowl wins would demonstrate to even the most cynical (pun intended) people that Bill Walsh knew football.

One of the reasons I am so cynical is because of statements like that.

Walsh was a good/great coach, no doubt.

And because he won three SB (with a QB he did not originally like), Walsh is now considered a "master QB evaluator"

But by Walsh's own actions and statements, he was no "expert" when it came to analyzing and evaluating a college QB for the pros.

In fact, he was more wrong than right in his evaluations.

I find it odd you think my view of Edwards is somehow tied to what I think of Walsh's opinion.

You could not be further from the truth. I just do not put a lot of weight into somebody's opinion when history has shown they are more wrong than right.

So, based on what you have seen, was Walsh more right or wrong on evaluating QBs?

One of the reasons I am so cynical is because of statements like that.

Walsh was a good/great coach, no doubt.

And because he won three SB (with a QB he did not originally like), Walsh is now considered a "master QB evaluator"

But by Walsh's own actions and statements, he was no "expert" when it came to analyzing and evaluating a college QB for the pros.

In fact, he was more wrong than right in his evaluations.

I find it odd you think my view of Edwards is somehow tied to what I think of Walsh's opinion.

You could not be further from the truth. I just do not put a lot of weight into somebody's opinion when history has shown they are more wrong than right.

i dont get the point ....walsh coached 2 of the greatest qb's of all time, there is not a "expert" alive when it comes to evaluating a college qb, brady and montana woulda went 1st overall.

Is walsh gonna be right in his assesment of edwards? i dont think he said he would be a HOFer.

So if one of the greatest coaches of all time(who coached 2 HOF qb's) says edwards is a smart kid who gets it, im gonna take his word for it until proven wrong(which may happen)

i dont get the point ....walsh coached 2 of the greatest qb's of all time, there is not a "expert" alive when it comes to evaluating a college qb, brady and montana woulda went 1st overall.

Is walsh gonna be right in his assesment of edwards? i dont think he said he would be a HOFer.

So if one of the greatest coaches of all time(who coached 2 HOF qb's) says edwards is a smart kid who gets it, im gonna take his word for it until proven wrong(which may happen)

the whole point of that, is he has made statements like that in the past and has been wrong, that's the point that is being debated

I ran into the two of them with Julie's parents at a pizza shop in East Rochester one day. My Co-worker went to high school with Julie and she introduced Drunkenmiller to us. He seemed like a real a$$ and she is not nearly as hot without the airbrushing. (still hot obviously)

yea when I saw her she looked nothing like the pictures I saw of her...her hair was a bit messy and she was wearing baggy sweatpants and sweatshirt...and very little makeup if any....it was like she was doing all she could to hide herself....I didnt get a chance to get a feel of how she was tho...she talked to the card shop owner while I looked arround and tried to picture her naked...and wondered if I should run home and grab my playboy with her in it so she could autograph it...lol...then they called me over and asked what I had for insert cards..that was about it

Both of the Mannings & Brady have Very Good arms, now Chadwick Pennington......... that is a SMART QB without a great arm.

Brady have very average arm strength when he entered the league. He was very lanky and slow as dirt. In his first year, he had a reputation as a dink and dunk. He built himself into a better QB.

As for Big Ben, I love Trent, but Big Ben is physically a much better athlete in almost everyway. But then again so was Losman. Given the choice between a great athlete and lesser QB instincts or a lesser athlete and really good QB instincts, I'd take the latter all day. If you get drafted in this league, you have skills. But few have the mental abilites to last in the league.

Talk is cheap and Trent has a lot to prove. But I think he is off to a good start.

i know i know talk is cheap but i have my sources and believe me this guy is going to b calling his own plays a lot this year and running a high tempo offense. trust me.

Uh oh. This isn't good. Take cover, because the arty hasn't even started yet. You are new here so a bit of advice: apparently since this board has been founded there have been more than a few posters who have sworn up and down they have "inside sources", from guys at the airport to people that work at the Bills, etc., and have made some sweeping predictions that don't turn out to be even close to true.

Therefore, even if you are right, and even if you have your sources, please understand that with a post like this you are sure catch at least a little hell.

Walsh was wrong about Mirer.

With this "guarantee," if you are wrong why should anyone listen to a thing you say in the future?

We might ask you the same thing, but we'd be wrong to do it, because this is a message board, based largely on opinion, which means most of us are very likely to be wrong most of the time. If we never paid attention to each other after being wrong, the only thing here would be Lori's posts re: gameday.

When did this ability to see greatness kick in? Did it take the whole 40?

I'm on 45 years of football watching and still waiting

Are you telling me you have never seen a 12 year old play anything and say to yourself "that guy is going to be good someday?". We all have. Some of us have been right, too. The fact is that it doesn't take 40 years to see that. It might only take 1. Are you telling me that the first time you saw Bruce Smith play for the Bills, you didn't say "that guy is going to be a HOFer"? Because I sure as hell did. How about the first time Marino stepped in his rookie year? Are you telling me a giant, collective "oh, sh.it" didn't come out of Buffalo?

Talk about a contradiction.

You state the following:

And then you follow up with this:

You do realize Walsh made those comments about Edwards well before Edwards stepped on the football field as a pro?

So how in the world can you take the opinion of someone regarding a college QB and treat that opinion like it came from an "expert", when by your very own admission such an "expert" does not exist?

Are you telling me you have never seen a 12 year old play anything and say to yourself "that guy is going to be good someday?". We all have. Some of us have been right, too. The fact is that it doesn't take 40 years to see that. It might only take 1. Are you telling me that the first time you saw Bruce Smith play for the Bills, you didn't say "that guy is going to be a HOFer"? Because I sure as hell did. How about the first time Marino stepped in his rookie year? Are you telling me a giant, collective "oh, sh.it" didn't come out of Buffalo?

:lol: I know I cursed at the TV on numerous occasions because of Marino. I also laughed at him when we palyed the Fins in the playoffs :thumbsup: