Leodis McKelvin vs. Reggie Corner

I'm not ready to hit the panic button just yet but for a CB who was suppose to have shut-down capability, Leodis McKelvin that is, he looks lost. Last night wasn't the first time he's been burned for a big gain/TD and I'm guessing its not going to be the last. Whereas Reggie Corner added to his already strong camp by getting another INT. Yes McKelvin is dynamite on Returns, and that was one reason we went after him, but in the end he is suppose to be starting at CB this season, he was suppose to be that good! Now I see him behind McGee, Greer, Youbouty, Corner, then McKelvin, and probably Will James follows Leodis, who most likely will not be part of the opening day roster. He has a lot to learn, and if he learns as good as he speaks words (which is not impressive to say the least) we can start the questioning of drafting a Special Team's player with such a high draft pick............\

I hope Youbouty has finally turned into the player we thought he was going to be 3 years ago, as then we would have one of the best pass defenses in the league. He did get burned on Santonio Holmes deep route 2 weeks ago, but Holmes is probably going to do that to a lot of quality DB's this season.

Your thoughts people.

I agree that McKelvin hasnt been as impressive as say Corner, but then again our expectations for McKelvin are higher then for Corner. Set aside the "I want my interception too, ow sjit, I misstimed and got burned for 94 yards" he did beautifully defend that deep pass that was intended for the endzone. He may be suffering from having to proof himself.

I'm not ready to hit the panic button just yet but for a CB who was suppose to have shut-down capability, Leodis McKelvin that is, he looks lost. Last night wasn't the first time he's been burned for a big gain/TD and I'm guessing its not going to be the last. Whereas Reggie Corner added to his already strong camp by getting another INT. Yes McKelvin is dynamite on Returns, and that was one reason we went after him, but in the end he is suppose to be starting at CB this season, he was suppose to be that good! Now I see him behind McGee, Greer, Youbouty, Corner, then McKelvin, and probably Will James follows Leodis, who most likely will not be part of the opening day roster. He has a lot to learn, and if he learns as good as he speaks words (which is not impressive to say the least) we can start the questioning of drafting a Special Team's player with such a high draft pick............\

I hope Youbouty has finally turned into the player we thought he was going to be 3 years ago, as then we would have one of the best pass defenses in the league. He did get burned on Santonio Holmes deep route 2 weeks ago, but Holmes is probably going to do that to a lot of quality DB's this season.

Your thoughts people.

Hello.

I take issue with the idea that he was "burned". He actually had great coverage, he simply misjudged his jump. He was in perfect position to make the INT. To me, getting burned is getting faked out, or outrun, or outfought for the ball, or not covering your man. The play last night was something that probably isnt going to happen again. Then later in the game, isolated, he had fabulous coverage. I have no problem with what I have seen from McKelvin. We don't need him to start. He may not even start the season as the nickel. But he looks like he is going to be a very good player. He's got speed, and he's got ridiculous athletic ability.

If Quinn Gray would have thrown a ball with normal trajectory and speed instead of football's version of a spiral epheous pitch -- that was an INT.

The ball floated--Leodis read the float but misjudged the timing and height.

He is making mistakes but last night he showed the short term memory of a corner--he had great coverage on a deep ball to the end zone the next series--used the sideline as his friend and was in better position than the receiver to make a play on the ball.

As to the subject at hand in the thread, Corner is the more polished corner at this time..he is playing really well for a rookie. You play the better player

I take issue with the idea that he was "burned". He actually had great coverage, he simply misjudged his jump. He was in perfect position to make the INT. To me, getting burned is getting faked out, or outrun, or outfought for the ball, or not covering your man. The play last night was something that probably isnt going to happen again. Then later in the game, isolated, he had fabulous coverage. I have no problem with what I have seen from McKelvin. We don't need him to start. He may not even start the season as the nickel. But he looks like he is going to be a very good player. He's got speed, and he's got ridiculous athletic ability.

Agree, jumped to soon.

Also he has yet to play a f'ing game in the NFL so "I'm not ready to hit the panic button just yet" you shouldn't be able to hit it with a 50 foot pole.

I agree 100%. For the OP to say that McKelvin is not only behind Corner, but also Youboty on the CB depth chart(based on a couple of preseason games) is flat out ridiculous.

Last night wasn't the first time he's been burned for a big gain/TD and I'm guessing its not going to be the last.

Every CB in the league gets burned and every CB in the league will be burned again. It's the nature of the position. What we need to see out of him is consistency and that's just not going to happen his rookie season (and it won't happen for Corner either if he plays more.)

Exactly. Youboty got burned last week. LM just mistimed it.

I have to disagree with you on the "great coverage" comment. Great coverage would have been him running with the receiver step for step. Even when he jumped the receiver looked to be 5 yards past him. If he had great coverage to begin with he would have been in a position where he didn't need to jump high in the air to make the play.

I have to disagree with you on the "great coverage" comment. Great coverage would have been him running with the receiver step for step. Even when he jumped the receiver looked to be 5 yards past him. If he had great coverage to begin with he would have been in a position where he didn't need to jump high in the air to make the play.

You should watch it again then, which I just did. He was right on him step for step, then cut in and jumped. If he wouldnt have cut to the middle of the field when he misjudged the ball he still would have been right on the WR step for step. It was terrific coverage, he just misjudged the ball when he went after it.

You should watch it again then, which I just did. He was right on him step for step, then cut in and jumped. If he wouldnt have cut to the middle of the field when he misjudged the ball he still would have been right on the WR step for step. It was terrific coverage, he just misjudged the ball when he went after it.

Well - even so - I know what you are saying and the point you are making - but saying someone had great coverage until they left the receiver and cut to the middle of the field and totally misplayed the ball is a bit like saying a RB had a great run until he fumbled. Maybe it was an isolated play and is not a trend - and likely he will continue to improve with experience - but a CB who has great coverage up until he misplays the ball is not doing his job.

He has a lot to learn, and if he learns as good as he speaks words (which is not impressive to say the least) we can start the questioning of drafting a Special Team's player with such a high draft pick............\

Maybe you can teach him to speak words, and he can teach you to write words.

I agree 100%. For the OP to say that McKelvin is not only behind Corner, but also Youboty on the CB depth chart(based on a couple of preseason games) is flat out ridiculous.

I can't attest to whom the Bills actually have listed in rank order, CB wise, on their depth chart, but it is certainly correct to say that at the corner position, Reggie Corner and Youboty have looked better in the games than McKelvin. Corner looks like he's been playing in the league for 3 years, and Youboty is finally showing the potential we all thought he had. McKelvin has shown both flashes of brilliance and flashes of being a rookie, and that is why at this point, it is not ridiculous to say that if the regular season were to start tomorrow, both Corner and Youboty might play at CB before McKelvin would.