Poll: Opening new windows and inculding timestamps...

SDS

TBD Front Page Feature Preferences  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to have articles open in new windows?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you prefer to have the timestamp next to each article?

• Yes
    • No

Of the few complaints we have received so far on the redesign - timestamps and opening new windows were mentioned. I have my reasons for excluding them, but I would prefer to hear what you have to say and balance that with my own ideas.

Thanks.

Of the few complaints we have received so far on the redesign - timestamps and opening new windows were mentioned. I have my reasons for excluding them, but I would prefer to hear what you have to say and balance that with my own ideas.

Thanks.

I am not as concerned with timestamps, but opening the articles in a new window would be nice. It's not a deal-breaker, but a convenience.

Forgot the... "Doesn't really matter, this site rocks!" option.

BTW, great new design.

One dude emailed me today and totally ripped me a new one. He hates it and claims we look just like another fan site now. He claims our old design was so much better. :rolleyes:

The new windows issue was the first thing I noticed; really miss that feature. Timestamps are nice as well, but not a deal-breaker.

Nice work on the redesign -- now, if we can just get "blogs" differentiated from "articles" it would be damn near perfect!

One dude emailed me today and totally ripped me a new one. He hates it and claims we look just like another fan site now. He claims our old design was so much better. :rolleyes:

you cant please all of the people....

new window is ok, new tab would be better. both options are better than having it lose the open TBD page

That's pretty much the way I am with any kind of change. Then after a few days I get used to the change and can't imagine how I used to live without it.

I'm already used to the new design--it's great!

I concur with KRC on opening new windows--somewhat convenient, but not necessary.

If I were you, I'd just tell KrazyKat to STFU.

Plus, if you use Firefox, you can just right click a link and click on "Open Link in New Tab."

Unless you're not using Firefox, in which case you may also like to know that man figured out how to create fire.

As people have mentioned above, you can "manually" open a link in a new tab, so although I voted for "new window" (which I assume based browser settings could/would be a new "tab"), that's NBD.

The time stamps are nice reference so I don't have to readdress the issue of whether or not I want to read various articles.

And as always, thanks for your efforts SDS.

If I were you, I'd just tell KrazyKat to STFU.

Plus, if you use Firefox, you can just right click a link and click on "Open Link in New Tab."

Unless you're not using Firefox, in which case you may also like to know that man figured out how to create fire.

I can do that and I don't have firefox. I would prefer not to have to open and close a window every time I want to read something. The Back button works just fine.

Leave the open new windows how it is. Even at work where I have to use IE I can deal with it and at home with Firefox I just right click and open in new tab.

Dropping the date from page is cleaner but if you could hover over link and display date that would be cool. Have seen hover used over links before so I know it is possible.

Nice work on the redesign -- now, if we can just get "blogs" differentiated from "articles" it would be damn near perfect!

Agree completely but it has been stated many times and obviously that is something you did not consider important in new design efforts.

The new windows issue was the first thing I noticed; really miss that feature. Timestamps are nice as well, but not a deal-breaker.

Wow, we're on the same page. You must be nuts! :rolleyes:

I prefer a new window because I always end up back here anyway.

I tend to use middle-click in Firefox to open the article in a new tab. I can't remember if that was an option I set up or not, but click on that cool little round button in the middle of your mouse, and voila...article opens in a new tab.

I tend to use middle-click in Firefox to open the article in a new tab. I can't remember if that was an option I set up or not, but click on that cool little round button in the middle of your mouse, and voila...article opens in a new tab.

my mouse has 1 button... :wallbash:

:wallbash:

Here's a nitpick, since I know how much you like doing stylesheets... :wallbash:

When I hover over the cruise ad in FF3, a red bar shows up at the bottom extending to the left margin.

Very, very polished looking, otherwise.

I like the look... I prefer they open in new windows... if you put a little icon next to the link which does it, that'd work for me and gives people the choice.

It's alright on my Blackberry too...

Have to scroll down a bit to get to the articles, but it looks pretty cool there too. and loads fast.