Whom Trent Edwards reminds me of.

Justice

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I'm gonna say it anyways. When I think about whom Trent Edwards reminds me of the most I can't help but think of Jay Fiedler. He reminds me of Jay in a lot of ways, such as smarts, on field leadership, overall calmness and poise in the pocket as well as arm strength. I'm not saying that he won't be better than Fiedler, but I do see a lot of similarities between the two QB's, AS OF NOW.

I've heard comparisons around here with Tom Brady but that is just ridiculous. A QB like Tom Brady doesn't grow on trees. He's one of the All-Time greats. Hopefully TE can become a great QB like Tom and he still can.

I'm not knocking TE in any way. JF won more than he lost and he was a perennial playoff QB with the Fish. I'm hoping TE will be better than JF, of course.

This is what Jay Fiedler's career stats look like:

G CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT

Career 77 1008 1717 58.7 11844 6.9 69 74 66 77.1

Here are Trent's:

151 269 56.1 1630 6.06 7 70 8 70.4

You are a JP fanboy. There is no reason to think that Trent could remind you of Chris Chandler or Matt Hasselback. You are far too busy pining away for your lost love.

Tell us, who does JP remind you of? Cetainly not Rob Johnson, right?

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I'm gonna say it anyways. When I think about whom Trent Edwards reminds me of the most I can't help but think of Jay Fiedler. He reminds me of Jay in a lot of ways, such as smarts, on field leadership, overall calmness and poise in the pocket as well as arm strength. I'm not saying that he won't be better than Fiedler, but I do see a lot of similarities between the two QB's, AS OF NOW.

I've heard comparisons around here with Tom Brady but that is just ridiculous. A QB like Tom Brady doesn't grow on trees. He's one of the All-Time greats. Hopefully TE can become a great QB like Tom and he still can.

I'm not knocking TE in any way. JF won more than he lost and he was a perennial playoff QB with the Fish. I'm hoping TE will be better than JF, of course.

Here are Trent's:

I get the comparison but I don't really agree with it. Just as it is insane to compare Edwards to Brady, it is just as silly to compare him to Fiedler. But if you must compare them, you need to at least get a similar comparison. Edwards played as rookie and 24 year old. Fiedler didn't become a starter until he was 29 and had many seasons of pro football under his belt. Huge difference. If you try to remember that TE was a rookie and are realistic inyour expectations for a rookie QB, TE played very well. If you want to compare him to veteran starters, he doesn't yet measure up. This comparison would hold alot more wait after TE has had 5 pro seasons under his belt like JF.

Side note: I really have higher expectations than Fiedler for TE. That said, considering we haven't made the playoffs in almost a decade, I'd take a Fiedler-like QB who could take us to the playoffs a few times. :blink:

You follow this statement with:

I get the comparison but I don't really agree with it. Just as it is insane to compare Edwards to Brady, it is just as silly to compare him to Fiedler. But if you must compare them, you need to at least get a similar comparison. Edwards played as rookie and 24 year old. Fiedler didn't become a starter until he was 29 and had many seasons of pro football under his belt. Huge difference. If you try to remember that TE was a rookie and are realistic inyour expectations for a rookie QB, TE played very well. If you want to compare him to veteran starters, he doesn't yet measure up. This comparison would hold alot more wait after TE has had 5 pro seasons under his belt like JF.

This???? :

Side note: I really have higher expectations than Fiedler for TE. That said, considering we haven't made the playoffs in almost a decade, I'd take a Fiedler-like QB who could take us to the playoffs a few times. :blink:

<_<

You are a JP fanboy. There is no reason to think that Trent could remind you of Chris Chandler or Matt Hasselback. You are far too busy pining away for your lost love.

You're joking, right????

You must have missed my notorious thread that got me banned for 2 and half years!

Here are Trent's:

You're comparing a career, in which Fiedler didn't play his rookie season, with a rookie season. They actually aren't very similar.

You're comparing a career, in which Fiedler didn't play his rookie season, with a rookie season. They actually aren't very similar.

That's a very valid point. I believe TE will be a much better QB than JF.

They do share a lot of similarites, though. TE and JF both have problems staying healthy, their arm strength is questionable, they're intelligent, they are quiet leaders and both have decent mobility.

Leave it to Bill to get offended when Edwards is compared to a 3 time playoff QB (and to bring JP into a thread that has nothing to do with him.)

As to the original post - there are many QBs that Edwards could remind someone of based on his style of play at this early stage of his career- Brady, Pennington and yes, Fielder are among them. However, comparing someone's style of play and their eventual success level are not the same thing. There have been all time greats and all time busts who had the same style - it doesn't determine success.

Not a JP or a Trent fan. Just making that clear.

Where is all the Trent love coming from? He played "okay" for a rookie. But if we really think that he is going to beat some of the powerhouse teams in the AFC to get us to the playoffs....than we are all drinking the cool aid. I just don't see it.

For the first time ever I am not optimistic about this team. Maybe thats a good thing though since its been how many years since a playoff berth.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I happen to think that TB is a great QB. Are we to believe that BB started cheating when Brady took over or did our old pal Drew Bledsoe also get some help in that department? If he did, it sure didn't show.

I have stuck up for Brady, and the Patriots, as much as anyone here, before all the cheating allegations came out. I was even accused a few times of being a Patsy troll. Even at first, I thought the "spygate" thing was no big deal, as I suscribed tot he conventional wisdom that every team does it, the Pats just got caught. Then, the more that came out about how complex a cheating system the Pats had in place, the more I had to start to questioning the Pats, and Brady. I am not ready to say that Brady is not a great QB, but I want to see how he does, in his prime, with the "greatest coach" since Lombardi, and the greatest "team" team in modern football. If they didn't get an advantage from the videos, I wouldn't expect them to fall off much, any time soon...I will wait a few years to pass judgement on how great this team, and Brady really are.

As for Bledsoe, I think the Pats did try to help him. I don't know that Drew was comfortable with the set up. If you remember, when Drew came to Buffalo, it was widely reported that he was not a big fan of Belechik, mainly because he was "lied to"...but there were also referneces to "other things" about Belechik that bothered him. Think what you do of Drew, but I think he is a decent guy....is it possible that he wasn't thrilled with the cheating? The sixth round QB from Michigan embraced it, possibly, because it made him into a superstar, when nobody had very many expectations of him. So, you might say, the edge Brady had over Bledsoe, was he embraced the systematic cheating that his coach had devised, and played a key role in it. Bledsoe was an older vet, already set in his ways. When you hear great QB's of the past talk about the Pats situation (Marino, Elway, Kelly, Tarkington, all guys I have heard speak out) they all universally agree that if the allegations of what the Pats were doing would be a "huge advantage" for a QB, you have to at least give it some consideration that some of Brady's "greatness" was developed in dishonest ways.

Anyways, it is all speculation, but the asterik is not going away, in my mind, on the Patriots and Brady, unless that team somehow keeps up their pace for another couple of years. Brady certainly looked human against the Giants, who were not a great football team.

I have stuck up for Brady, and the Patriots, as much as anyone here, before all the cheating allegations came out. I was even accused a few times of being a Patsy troll. Even at first, I thought the "spygate" thing was no big deal, as I suscribed tot he conventional wisdom that every team does it, the Pats just got caught. Then, the more that came out about how complex a cheating system the Pats had in place, the more I had to start to questioning the Pats, and Brady. I am not ready to say that Brady is not a great QB, but I want to see how he does, in his prime, with the "greatest coach" since Lombardi, and the greatest "team" team in modern football. If they didn't get an advantage from the videos, I wouldn't expect them to fall off much, any time soon...I will wait a few years to pass judgement on how great this team, and Brady really are.

As for Bledsoe, I think the Pats did try to help him. I don't know that Drew was comfortable with the set up. If you remember, when Drew came to Buffalo, it was widely reported that he was not a big fan of Belechik, mainly because he was "lied to"...but there were also referneces to "other things" about Belechik that bothered him. Think what you do of Drew, but I think he is a decent guy....is it possible that he wasn't thrilled with the cheating? The sixth round QB from Michigan embraced it, possibly, because it made him into a superstar, when nobody had very many expectations of him. So, you might say, the edge Brady had over Bledsoe, was he embraced the systematic cheating that his coach had devised, and played a key role in it. Bledsoe was an older vet, already set in his ways. When you hear great QB's of the past talk about the Pats situation (Marino, Elway, Kelly, Tarkington, all guys I have heard speak out) they all universally agree that if the allegations of what the Pats were doing would be a "huge advantage" for a QB, you have to at least give it some consideration that some of Brady's "greatness" was developed in dishonest ways.

Anyways, it is all speculation, but the asterik is not going away, in my mind, on the Patriots and Brady, unless that team somehow keeps up their pace for another couple of years. Brady certainly looked human against the Giants, who were not a great football team.

:thumbsup:

Not a JP or a Trent fan. Just making that clear.

Where is all the Trent love coming from? He played "okay" for a rookie. But if we really think that he is going to beat some of the powerhouse teams in the AFC to get us to the playoffs....than we are all drinking the cool aid. I just don't see it.

For the first time ever I am not optimistic about this team. Maybe thats a good thing though since its been how many years since a playoff berth.

Considering Edwards was the #3 QB heading into training camp & pre-season last year, and was expected to hold a clipboard all year long, I'd say he did a good job as a rookie.

Now that Fairchild and his ultra-conservative play calls are gone, plus Edwards has a couple of taller targets to throw to besides the smurf's, I think we have a legitimate shot of making the playoffs.

It's possible. Maybe TB did embrace BB's cheating ways. But and then again, the Pats didn't cheat last year and look at the monster numbers TB put up. In my mind, there's no questioning TB's greatness. Even though I truly and deeply despise the bastard. And if the Bills finally beat those SOB's I'll be running on the field with joy!!!

Leave it to Bill to get offended when Edwards is compared to a 3 time playoff QB (and to bring JP into a thread that has nothing to do with him.)

As to the original post - there are many QBs that Edwards could remind someone of based on his style of play at this early stage of his career- Brady, Pennington and yes, Fielder are among them. However, comparing someone's style of play and their eventual success level are not the same thing. There have been all time greats and all time busts who had the same style - it doesn't determine success.

That's how I should have explained it.