Whom Trent Edwards reminds me of.

Justice

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I'm gonna say it anyways. When I think about whom Trent Edwards reminds me of the most I can't help but think of Jay Fiedler. He reminds me of Jay in a lot of ways, such as smarts, on field leadership, overall calmness and poise in the pocket as well as arm strength. I'm not saying that he won't be better than Fiedler, but I do see a lot of similarities between the two QB's, AS OF NOW.

I've heard comparisons around here with Tom Brady but that is just ridiculous. A QB like Tom Brady doesn't grow on trees. He's one of the All-Time greats. Hopefully TE can become a great QB like Tom and he still can.

I'm not knocking TE in any way. JF won more than he lost and he was a perennial playoff QB with the Fish. I'm hoping TE will be better than JF, of course.

This is what Jay Fiedler's career stats look like:

G CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT

Career 77 1008 1717 58.7 11844 6.9 69 74 66 77.1

Here are Trent's:

151 269 56.1 1630 6.06 7 70 8 70.4

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fiedler was a solid QB- Edwards has ways to go to get to that level. And he will need much better surrounding talent as well.

Are you serious? I thought I was gonna get flamed for this post right away.

I would love to see what Miami fans who used to boo Fiedler think of him now, considering the current QB's on their roster. Fiedler's biggest obstacle was being the first QB of the post-Marino era. Even though Danny boy never brought home a ring, Miami fans never fully embraced what Fiedler was, and instead booed him for who he wasn't.

I always thought he was pretty good (for a jewish kid) :blink:

I would love to see what Miami fans who used to boo Fiedler think of him now, considering the current QB's on their roster. Fiedler's biggest obstacle was being the first QB of the post-Marino era. Even though Danny boy never brought home a ring, Miami fans never fully embraced what Fiedler was, and instead booed him for who he wasn't.

Very true. It's hard to play in the shadow of a HOFer. Just ask Todd Collins. <_<

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I'm gonna say it anyways. When I think about whom Trent Edwards reminds me of the most I can't help but think of Jay Fiedler. He reminds me of Jay in a lot of ways, such as smarts, on field leadership, overall calmness and poise in the pocket as well as arm strength. I'm not saying that he won't be better than Fiedler, but I do see a lot of similarities between the two QB's, AS OF NOW.

I've heard comparisons around here with Tom Brady but that is just ridiculous. A QB like Tom Brady doesn't grow on trees. He's one of the All-Time greats. Hopefully TE can become a great QB like Tom and he still can.

I'm not knocking TE in any way. JF won more than he lost and he was a perennial playoff QB with the Fish. I'm hoping TE will be better than JF, of course.

Here are Trent's:

Why all the Brady love? I got flamed for saying this before, but I stick to it- he played in a system where (allegedly) he knew the defensive coverages within 7 seconds of them being called. He did his homework (whoopty doo, it's his job) and had an offensive line that enabled him to sit sit sit and toy with completely exposed defenses. Yaaaaaaawn!

On top of that, history has shown (most notably the SB Giants) when pressured in the pocket, he more or less breaks down.

On top of THAT, he's whiny and pouty and acts like a little kid.

So flame ME away if you must but I refuse to believe that Tom Brady is God's gift to football- or that it even requires a specific "tree" to produce a similar passer- just some roids, and some good old fashion cheating.

Sorry for the hijack! On your topic: I will start comparing Trent to anything NFL quarterback (this includes JP), AFTER this season for reasons I mentioned yesterday.

Why all the Brady love? I got flamed for saying this before, but I stick to it- he played in a system where (allegedly) he knew the defensive coverages within 7 seconds of them being called. He did his homework (whoopty doo, it's his job) and had an offensive line that enabled him to sit sit sit and toy with completely exposed defenses. Yaaaaaaawn!

On top of that, history has shown (most notably the SB Giants) when pressured in the pocket, he more or less breaks down.

On top of THAT, he's whiny and pouty and acts like a little kid.

So flame ME away if you must but I refuse to believe that Tom Brady is God's gift to football- or that it even requires a specific "tree" to produce a similar passer- just some roids, and some good old fashion cheating.

Sorry for the hijack! On your topic: I will start comparing Trent to anything NFL quarterback (this includes JP), AFTER this season for reasons I mentioned yesterday.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I happen to think that TB is a great QB. Are we to believe that BB started cheating when Brady took over or did our old pal Drew Bledsoe also get some help in that department? If he did, it sure didn't show.

My brother in law was his high school teammate. Played offensive line for Jay Fiedler, Oceanside Pirates (Long Island) On his garage beer fridge there is a team pic, easy to pick out Fiedler, the one with the Spock ears.

I don't remember much about Jay Fiedler except that he was a mediocre QB. I just looked him up and the stats do justify this assertion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Fiedler

He did 'lead' the Dolphins to 3, 10+ win seasons and he took them to the playoffs three times. However, he threw nearly as many interceptions as touchdowns and his 1 td to 7 int's in three post season games imply that he was never good in the clutch. Also, remember that during his reign as qb for Miami, the Dolphins had one of the best defenses in the entire NFL and the defense often times would seem noticeably frustrated when the offense sputtered and failed to score points.

All in all you are right. Jay was a pretty steady QB who probably didn't get enough credit. However, even with a great defence, he was never going to take them to the promise land. Let's hope Edwards ends up being a lot better quarterback then Fiedler. Otherwise it will be back to the drawing board I'm afraid!

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I happen to think that TB is a great QB. Are we to believe that BB started cheating when Brady took over or did our old pal Drew Bledsoe also get some help in that department? If he did, it sure didn't show.

According to Walsh, Bledsoe did get help.

Then Bledsoe came to Buffalo and crapped the bed tremendously. Then went to Dallas and lost the job to (un-drafted) Tony Romo.

There's no point projecting what TB would do on another team, so I'll just cling to my doubts.

Here are Trent's:

Montana Is an al time great, Favre is an all time great, Brady's legacy will always be tarnished by Spygate, how will we every actually know if those rings are for real?

At the risk of comparing Edwards to a former Super Bowl MVP, I don't think it's out of the question to hope for a Phil Simms-like career.

Simms never REALLY lit it up, but was fairly steady. He completed about 58% of his passes (in Phil's era that was decent, now that might be a little low,) he threw for 199 TD's and 157 INT's, had a passer rating around 79, was a two-time Pro Bowler, and most importantly, got it done in the big game.

If Trent's career followed the same path, he might not end up in Canton, but he would be the King of Buffalo.

Having lived in Miami during the Fiedler reign, I would have to say that JP Losman, as of right now, reminds me of Fiedler than Edwards. Edwards was a rookie, who made rookie mistakes. Fiedler was acquired from another team where he was a backup quarterback. He continued to look like a backup as a starter, and the offense was frustrating to watch.

Honestly, I hope JP finds a way to get over the hump and live up to his first round draft status.

Having lived in Miami during the Fiedler reign, I would have to say that JP Losman, as of right now, reminds me of Fiedler than Edwards. Edwards was a rookie, who made rookie mistakes. Fiedler was acquired from another team where he was a backup quarterback. He continued to look like a backup as a starter, and the offense was frustrating to watch.

Honestly, I hope JP finds a way to get over the hump and live up to his first round draft status.

JP reminds me of Rob Johnson-always injured (3 of 4 seasons cut short by injuries), no pocket presence, no football intelligence.

Meanwhile Edwards reminds me of a combination of Joe Montana (coolness under pressure) Dan Marino (quick release) and Tom Brady (intelligence).