Brett Favre a Bill?

Frez

I don't understand your first paragraph, so I'll leave it alone.

Now, if you think for one minute that Edwards, who I truly believe has a bright future, is going to outplay Favre this year, you're mistaken. I get the "when it's over, it happens quick" argument, but BF played his best football last year. We need a QB who can go toe-to toe with Manning and Brady. Favre is that guy.

He doesn't make sense for all teams. He does for the Bills because we are that close.

My 1st paragraph refers to the fact that Tom Donahoe brought in guys like Bledsoe, Milloy, etc for the quick fix and didn't make the playoffs because he really had no long term plan. He saw a veteran & jumped up and got him. His most ridiculous move was restructuring Bledsoe in his final season instead of not picking up his option. He chose not to make him an in season lame duck, which as it turned out he was anyway. Also, when you get the I want to win now mindset & choose the wrong guy, like Leon Hess did with Kotite, you go backwards, not forwards. I believe Favre is the wrong guy.

I firmly believe that Edwards will outplay Favre this season & will be shocked if he doesn't. After a couple of bad seasons, Favre squeezed the lemon dry last year and my guess is he has little left, sort of like Joe Namath and Johnny Unitas at the end.

One more thing-Bob Matthews is always like the kid in a candy store-he always wants the name without much deep thinking on the subject. He wanted Shockey earlier this winter and has echoed the thoughts of Coach Dickerson whenever a name becomes available. I take today's article with a grain of salt.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 1st paragraph refers to the fact that Tom Donahoe brought in guys like Bledsoe, Milloy, etc for the quick fix and didn't make the playoffs because he really had no long term plan. He saw a veteran & jumped up and got him. His most ridiculous move was restructuring Bledsoe in his final season instead of not picking up his option. He chose not to make him an in season lame duck, which as it turned out he was anyway. Also, when you get the I want to win now mindset & choose the wrong guy, like Leon Hess did with Kotite, you go backwards, not forwards. I believe Favre is the wrong guy.

I firmly believe that Edwards will outplay Favre this season & will be shocked if he doesn't. After a couple of bad seasons, Favre squeezed the lemon dry last year and my guess is he has little left, sort of like Joe Namath and Johnny Unitas at the end.

One more thing-Bob Matthews is always like the kid in a candy store-he always wants the name without much deep thinking on the subject. He wanted Shockey earlier this winter and has echoed the thoughts of Coach Dickerson whenever a name becomes available. I take today's article with a grain of salt.

Albany,n.y., we obviously disagree and that's OK. Ultimately, we're aiming at the same target. We just disagree on which ammo to use.

Cheers! :devil:

Your claim that "win now" has kept the Bills organization back is false. Not even close. In the 8 seasons since the Bills last made the playoffs, only twice in that span were the Bills in "win now" mode. 2003 when they signed Spikes/Adams/Milloy and 2004 when they hired Mularkey and just missed the playoffs. Winning consistently in the NFL is about coaching and QB's, and the Bills have had bad coaches and bad QB play for near the duration.

What scares me is the "play not to lose" mentality, and the Jauron era drafts and game plans seem to reflect this and nothing more.

Guest dog14787

Brett Favre playing in Buffalo to me is not a bad idea.( as the backup) It would be like a breath of fresh air to him.

He would be great in the locker room and if needed, great on the field. :thumbsup:

In my opinion, Favre has not had a good team for a long time and this just in folks, the Buffalo Bills have a good team.

I like JP Losman allot, but don't think his heart is in Buffalo any more and I dont blame him at all for wanting to be traded.

Its not a bad idea and not only that, I'll bet JP would be a good fit in Green Bay. :wacko:

Brett Favre playing in Buffalo to me is not a bad idea.( as the backup) It would be like a breath of fresh air to him.

He would be great in the locker room and if needed, great on the field. :thumbsup:

In my opinion, Favre has not had a good team for a long time and this just in folks, the Buffalo Bills have a good team.

I like JP Losman allot, but don't think his heart is in Buffalo any more and I dont blame him at all for wanting to be traded.

Its not a bad idea and not only that, I'll bet JP would be a good fit in Green Bay. :wacko:

No offense, but the packers were one game away from representing the NFC in the Super Bowl. How can you possibly compare or give the advantage to a bills team that has not accomplished anything as of yet to a team like that?

One more thing, I do not believe for one second we will ever see the day Favre leaves his farm in Miss & comes out of retirment to backup Trent Edwards or JP Losman. The mere thought of that is pretty laughable.

Favre going anywhere, other than Green Bay, makes no sense. The Bills, as much as I love them, with or without Favre, are still a borderling playoff prospect. The Packers rebuildine job is much further than Buffalo's current re-build is. I like the Bills this year, but they still need about 2 or 3 things to pan out, IMO, to take that next step. A lot rests on Stroud, Hardy,the QB position, and a short injury list.

Guest dog14787
No offense, but the packers were one game away from representing the NFC in the Super Bowl. How can you possibly compare or give the advantage to a bills team that has not accomplished anything as of yet to a team like that?

One more thing, I do not believe for one second we will ever see the day Favre leaves his farm in Miss & comes out of retirment to backup Trent Edwards or JP Losman. The mere thought of that is pretty laughable.

I admit, I should have excluded the Packers current team, its just to bad Brett Favre spent half his career on bad teams.

I'm guessing your probably right, but who's to say though with a man who loves football like Brett Favre. When Favre feels he can no longer start or his team no longer wants his services, maybe he would enjoy being a backup for the same reason players go on to become coaches, for the love of football. Especially if Brett Favre could be called upon to start or possibly even win the starting position. The Packers may not want Favre back, so to play, he may have to go somewhere else.

If I decided to slow down a little after being a starter for so long, I would choose some place new. I would get away from all the expectations and a new role on a new team might sound good to me.

I admit, I should have excluded the Packers current team, its just to bad Brett Favre spent half his career on bad teams.

I'm guessing your probably right, but who's to say though with a man who loves football like Brett Favre. When Favre feels he can no longer start or his team no longer wants his services, maybe he would enjoy being a backup for the same reason players go on to become coaches, for the love of football. Especially if Brett Favre could be called upon to start or possibly even win the starting position. The Packers may not want Favre back, so to play, he may have to go somewhere else.

If I decided to slow down a little after being a starter for so long, I would choose some place new. I would get away from all the expectations and a new role on a new team might sound good to me.

That is what I meant, a guy like Favre, with his competiveness, IMHO would never be satisfied riding the pine, even at his age. It is kinda like Bledsoe when he hung up, but I imagine Favre's opinion & desire to play on this is 100 xs stronger. Favre played on some good teams & he played on some bad teams. Some of those bad teams, he had a pretty big hand in having those teams be bad IMO.

Guest dog14787
That is what I meant, a guy like Favre, with his competiveness, IMHO would never be satisfied riding the pine, even at his age. It is kinda like Bledsoe when he hung up, but I imagine Favre's opinion & desire to play on this is 100 xs stronger. Favre played on some good teams & he played on some bad teams. Some of those bad teams, he had a pretty big hand in having those teams be bad IMO.

I hear ya , lol, I don't expect to see Favre in a Bills uniform any time soon. :thumbsup:

here's my 2 cents. i posted this on another site and some of these points were already touched on, but here's what i wrote.

guys, i think the good outweighs the bad. check dis out.

1. brett gets to come to buffalo with a good pass blocking o line and an overall greatly improved team with images of playoffs dancing in their heads. he gets to throw to lee evans and hardy with lynch in the backfield. he also has a great st and improved defense. he also comes to a great small market team much like the packers and plays in pretty much the same climate.

2. he still has the stats and athleticism to play the game at least 1 more season. 4th in most yards last season, 356/535 for 4,155 yards with 28 td's and 15 ints.

3. he gets to play against tom brady and the tuna twice a year and you know his ego would love to take out "the golden boy".

4. jp to greenbay and a 4th or later round pick. jp is pretty much a gun slinger like farve, maybe a change of scenery and a system that caters to his strengths would benefit him, who knows? if not, jp learns from a qb with a style very much like his own. favre lightened up to the idea of teaching rodgers so why not let jp learn something and let trent learn 1 more season as well?

5. bills will have a proven great guy and great qb, a huge jersey seller, which would bring alot of revenue into the bills. HE ALSO HAS A HIGH MOTOR GUYS! you know how ralph loves those high motor/good character guys.

6. the bills did trade for his one time backup from greenbay.

for 1 season, i'd do it. then let trent come back next year and start.

here's my 2 cents. i posted this on another site and some of these points were already touched on, but here's what i wrote.

guys, i think the good outweighs the bad. check dis out.

1. brett gets to come to buffalo with a good pass blocking o line and an overall greatly improved team with images of playoffs dancing in their heads. he gets to throw to lee evans and hardy with lynch in the backfield. he also has a great st and improved defense. he also comes to a great small market team much like the packers and plays in pretty much the same climate.

That remains to be seen. Bills were near or at the bottom on number of pass attempts, and I guess that many of the pass plays they executed were not the kind that needed a lot of longish engagement by the OL.

I know many want to anoint Peters as the best LT ever, but fact is, he is a rising star in a stilted pass game. Which perhaps is a reason why the Bills' management isn't going great guns to crown him as King of the LTs, and pay such.

Favre going anywhere, other than Green Bay, makes no sense. The Bills, as much as I love them, with or without Favre, are still a borderling playoff prospect. The Packers rebuildine job is much further than Buffalo's current re-build is. I like the Bills this year, but they still need about 2 or 3 things to pan out, IMO, to take that next step. A lot rests on Stroud, Hardy,the QB position, and a short injury list.

I am not so sure BT.

I strongly doubt that Favre will wind up in Buffalo, but it would be "good for the league" if he left Green Bay. Could you even imagine the media frenzy if he signs with the Jests? The Falcons have problems, and he is a southern boy. He would revive that fanbase overnight. How about the Bears? Vikings? Chiefs?

I am going to take the unpopular stance here and take the back of my friend albany,ny. Unlike many, I think that Trent Edwards will shine next year. This by no means makes me right mind you; it is simply what I think. I for one would rather watch an exciting young prospect develop than watch an old man deteriorate.

Favre played on some good teams & he played on some bad teams. Some of those bad teams, he had a pretty big hand in having those teams be bad IMO.

? - They've had one (!) losing season since he became the starter in 1992, have an overall record of 161-95 (.628 winning percentage), and he had one of the two or three best season of his career last year (highest completion pct. and highest YPA).

I'd say he played on one bad team, and it had very poor overall talent on offense (the 06 Pack). Typically, they've been a playoff team (11 out of his 16 seasons).

I am not so sure BT.

I strongly doubt that Favre will wind up in Buffalo, but it would be "good for the league" if he left Green Bay. Could you even imagine the media frenzy if he signs with the Jests? The Falcons have problems, and he is a southern boy. He would revive that fanbase overnight. How about the Bears? Vikings? Chiefs?

I am going to take the unpopular stance here and take the back of my friend albany,ny. Unlike many, I think that Trent Edwards will shine next year. This by no means makes me right mind you; it is simply what I think. I for one would rather watch an exciting young prospect develop than watch an old man deteriorate.

Oh yeah, I agree, him playing just about anywhere has its' value, particularly the Jets. I posted in another thread, teams that would really benefit from him the most (Vikings, Bears, Panthers) all reside in the NFC, and there is no way that the Packers will allow that. If they deal him (I know they won't cut him), it will be to an AFC team. All of the good AFC teams have established vetran QB's. The ony teams, you could maybe make an argument for (mainly because both were playoff teams just two seasons ago) are the Jets and the Ravens. I have said all along, Favre should stay in Green Bay, but, if he played anywhere else, it would be for the Jets. The Chiefs are a bad team. Favre, at best, would make them an 8-8 team.

The Bills are, IMO, just a notch below the surface in the playoff race. Favre might be a big enough difference maker for them (he does have a knack for getting a lot of production out of good, not great receivers), but, as a Bills fan, I know it is pointless to think about that. He could come to WNY, ala Doug Flutie, and "save the franchise", or make them more marketable to the Toronto audience. Either way, it won't happen. Besides, I get the feeling the Bills are in good hands with Edwards.

My preidictions, he ends up in:

4- Baltimore

3- NY Jets

2- Green Bay

1- at home, cheering against the Packers, from his couch

***If Matt Haseelback gets hurt anytime during the season, the resting Brett Favre might be traded to the Seahawhs, to wind his career down, along with Holmgren. If Vinny T was considered a need by a team last season, anything can happen.