JP -Bills Biggest Bust the last 5 years

The same Wade Phillips who also has never won a playoff game?

Bogus response. Wade has taken it in the pooper in 2 of his playoff "losses" with the homerun throwforward and the romo FG-drop.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, except here is what happened after the switch (2005):

Losman:

113/228 - 1340 yards - 8TDs - 8 Ints

Bledsoe:

300/499 - 3639 yards - 23 TDs - 17 ints

Bledsoe was on his way out, be he had 1 decent season left, and JP wasn't ready.

This all boils down to retribution. Retribution for Bledsoe's actions and words, and especially for losing to the Steeler's backups the last game of the season. I freely admit as I watched the final seconds of the game, I said "cut his ass tomorrow". I think that's what we all were thinking, and, having dropped the draft picks we had, we expected the FO to know what they were doing, so we wanted JP, the "non-project", immediate starter, to get in the game.

I think many of us thought that no matter what, JP couldn't possibly be as bad as Bledsoe. In hindsight, I suppose we were wrong, in that it probably would have made sense to let JP develop one more year. It's not like our 2005 team was going to be much better anyway, so rationally it probably would have made sense to keep Bledsoe another year.

But, once again, I think this whole thing comes down to the utter weakness of Donahoe as a person. He's supposedly a football guy, and therefore he should know better than us, and better than to listen to us. But, he got rid of Bledsoe in a bid to save his job. He figured that appeasing our call for Bledsoe's head would take the attention away from his utter lack of ability with regard to the draft, or hiring head coaches for that matter, and that the appearance of "doing something" would let him continue his folly.

We'll never know if that extra year would have helped. We'll never know if JP had been given a chance to start a few games in 2005 without the pressure being on him from day 1 to be great would have changed things. We do know that this is what happened to Edwards last year, and I think he's going to be better for it.

I agree that if JP is the biggest bust, we are doing OK. The last three non-Donahoe drafts have helped this along mightily as well.

This all boils down to retribution. Retribution for Bledsoe's actions and words, and especially for losing to the Steeler's backups the last game of the season. I freely admit as I watched the final seconds of the game, I said "cut his ass tomorrow". I think that's what we all were thinking, and, having dropped the draft picks we had, we expected the FO to know what they were doing, so we wanted JP, the "non-project", immediate starter, to get in the game.

I think many of us thought that no matter what, JP couldn't possibly be as bad as Bledsoe. In hindsight, I suppose we were wrong, in that it probably would have made sense to let JP develop one more year. It's not like our 2005 team was going to be much better anyway, so rationally it probably would have made sense to keep Bledsoe another year.

But, once again, I think this whole thing comes down to the utter weakness of Donahoe as a person. He's supposedly a football guy, and therefore he should know better than us, and better than to listen to us. But, he got rid of Bledsoe in a bid to save his job. He figured that appeasing our call for Bledsoe's head would take the attention away from his utter lack of ability with regard to the draft, or hiring head coaches for that matter, and that the appearance of "doing something" would let him continue his folly.

We'll never know if that extra year would have helped. We'll never know if JP had been given a chance to start a few games in 2005 without the pressure being on him from day 1 to be great would have changed things. We do know that this is what happened to Edwards last year, and I think he's going to be better for it.

I agree that if JP is the biggest bust, we are doing OK. The last three non-Donahoe drafts have helped this along mightily as well.

I am down with this entire post word for word, except the last sentence. :thumbdown:<_<

Bogus response. Wade has taken it in the pooper in 2 of his playoff "losses" with the homerun throwforward and the romo FG-drop.

I'm pretty sure the RomoFG-drop was a Parcells thingy..

Biggest Bust in the last 5 years? Mularky

I'm pretty sure the RomoFG-drop was a Parcells thingy..

Biggest Bust in the last 5 years? Mularky

Well if you include non-draft picks or coaches, then I would say JP doesn't even make the top ten

Between coaching, and FA pickups, theres definitly a couple better choices. I just assumed they meant draft picks being busts

Wasnt Parcells coaching that team? Anyways, my guess is he is going to take it in the pooper again anything short of a Super Bowl appearance this year. Jones wants Garrett coaching this team & is just waiting for Phillips to give him the smallest reason to can his ass.

Who are you, Spicolli?

I am down with this entire post word for word, except the last sentence. <_<:lol:

I know Bill. :thumbdown: And if Whitner and McCargo have great years this year, you will owe many of us a beer. The simple fact is that I don't think any of us really knew how bad this team really was when Marv took over. Or, perhaps we did but we didn't want to admit it. With so many holes, and so many self-inflicted holes, the entire strategy seems to be clear now: 3 year, team-wide overhaul project, with a priority on getting rid of our "stars" who hadn't done enough to get to the playoffs for 5 years, and drafting their replacements.

Also, most of the FA Marv singed immediately when he took over are already gone. I look at them as stop-gap players whom Marv had every intention of chucking/drafting their replacements unless they did something extraordinary. But, at the same time, we could get rid of the Tim Anderson's and the Shaud Williams quickly and at least get the team competitive until the drafts had their chance to work. Who's left from that? Fowler and Royal? Unless things change drastically, 90% chance Fowler is gone after this year and 60% chance that Royal is(-->as cool as he is, he's really gotta step up on the field, and no more f'ing fumbles). More evidence of the 3 year plan. I do not include the O line or D line moves of last year and this year for obvious reasons.

So, with so many holes to fill, but also stop-gap players brought in, it didn't really matter where they started WRT the draft. And that's the point: this isn't and never was about "recycling". This was about getting rid of our entire 2005 roster with a very few exceptions(Evans, Crowell, McGee) as fast as possible. Marv had to start with the worst hole we had on the team and the one that was the most surely filled by a rookie, and that was at SS, hence Whitner.

The entire O line was a hole, as you have reminded us on multiple occasions :w00t:, and therefore we needed the drastic moves last year to fix it and right the ship. Drafting the first 4 picks in 2006 all O line would have done nothing but put 4 rookies on the field and get our QB killed. So, we had to do something big to get things back to at least average. Now that things are relatively "fixed", going forward will be the real test.

Now, because we can, we should be following your advice and drafting a good amount of O line early on next year and in the following years, giving them a chance to develop for a year or two, and then getting them in as replacements one at a time, over a long period of time. This is a sound and safe approach that maintains the continuity of the line as well as doesn't place too much risk on any one player. We also need to do the same thing with D line, but also take the star skill player when our draft position calls for it. This of course assumes that we don't end up with immediate holes/needs at QB, WR, RB, CB, S for the next few years.

Edit: So what I am saying is: going forward, for each draft spot, if the value is equal we should be taking the big guys on both sides of the ball over the skill players. It' not only smart, it's safe. But, always remember that the only reason Trent Edwards is on this team is because of the Bill's draft value board. I suppose we would rather have him right now than some 3rd round Center who was the 8th best at his position. Right?

The latest edition of Pro Football Weekly is out & among the stories is "Major Misses A team--by- team breakdown of the NFL's biggest busts of the past five seasons" Here's what they said:

"J.P. Losman QB/Buffalo Bills First Round (22nd overall) 2004

Blessed with all the physical tools desired in a quarterback, Losman has failed to put it all together during his four years in Buffalo. A combination of inaccuracy, ambivalence in the pocket and overall mismanagement of the offense contributed to his inability to get the Bills back to the playoffs even once during his undistinguished tenure as a starter. When he went down with a sprained left knee in Week Three last season and rookie Trent Edwards showed considerable promise, it signaled the unofficial end to Losman's career in Buffalo."

Weird so if eli manning didn't put together 4-5 very consistent games last year and the the giants to a super bowl would he be they're biggest bust? Jp's previous season was better than any of mannings, in my opinion as good as vince young the same year and young made the pro bowl. My whole point is he's a very young qb that could turn the corner in any one season, hell two years ago he started like 12 games or something and was the 11th best rated qb in the league, i think its way too early for people to write him off or call him a bust!

You're right, it's not fair.

Every time I think about that game, it just drives me nuts. Buffalo did get out-coached.

Right because everyone had the Bills winnign that game. I mean the Bills were rolling at 1-3 and the Cowboys were struggling with an undefeated record. Plus, when you considered the superstars liek the Pizza Man, Jabari Greer, and George Wilson playing against Dallas' 10 Prio Bowlers, how did the Bills not win by 50 + points??? :thumbdown:

There were 2 bad calls in that game or else Jauron and the staff would have coached the Bills to one of the biggest upsets in history. It was a terrible ending (of course a player could have recocover an onside kick and end the game, but I'm sure that was Jauron's fault too) but for 59 minutes, the Bills throughly outcoached the Cowboys.

Weird so if eli manning didn't put together 4-5 very consistent games last year and the the giants to a super bowl would he be they're biggest bust? Jp's previous season was better than any of mannings, in my opinion as good as vince young the same year and young made the pro bowl. My whole point is he's a very young qb that could turn the corner in any one season, hell two years ago he started like 12 games or something and was the 11th best rated qb in the league, i think its way too early for people to write him off or call him a bust!

Eli Manning has always been better than JP. I don't have my head burried in a stat book. I've seen them play numerous times each and there is no comparison. Eli has always been winning games at a much higher rate than 1 of every 3 starts that JP has done. Eli has led his team to the playoffs multiple times, Eli has played hurt after being declared out for a month by most. Eli was doing well in 2006 before he lost his LT & go to receiver (it was Toomer not Plaxico) and the team went downhill in the 2nd half with those & defensive injuries and Eli took the heat. Now I may be one of Eli's biggest defenders on this board for years, but all you people who believe JP was ever better than Eli are not watching them both play-get your heads out of the stat books & actually watch these guys on the field-One is a consistent winner who is light years ahead of the other. In case you're still burried in the stat book, Eli, Super Bowl Champion is the one who is light years ahead of JP-always has been, always will be.

JP is a bust, keep hoping & dreaming and when he wins the Arenaball championship you can say he's turned the corner.

JP has been here 4 years, he is not being judged off of only last season. In his 2nd year he was handed the job & benched-the JP apologists (including myself at the time) blamed Mularkey. In year 3 he was mediocre most of the season, including the end and because he had a few good games against weak teams that inflated his stats he was hailed by the JP fans as "getting it". In year 4 he was horrible from day 1 of camp through his injury in game 3, had a good game against possibly the worst defense in the league & then reverted to form & got benched & the JP apologists blamed the OC. In 4 years he's "lead" the team to wins in about only 1/3 of his starts and the JP apologists always find a reason other than JP is a bust.

How was improving the receiving corps a "priority" for Edwards? The Bills didn't sign any name veteran free agent WR. The team drafted a WRs in the 2nd & 7th rounds-hardly what I call a priority. Now look at what they did at DT -traded for a high priced DT & signed another early in free agency-that's recognizing and acting on a position as a priority. In JP's 1st 2 years the Bills' top pick was a WR.

Your final apology for JP is that he came out of the draft as a project. Come on now, no team drafts a QB in the 1st round who is as big a project as JP has turned out to be. If the player is truly thought of as a project, he doesn't get picked in the first or even 2nd round. The Bills didn't view him as the project you do, otherwise they wouldn't have traded up to get him.

How about a diferant playbook every year he was here?Fairchild is the only offensive coodinater that he had two years in a row.Plus how many differant QB coaches?How many differant offense coordinaters did Tom Brady have?What about P.Manning?I'm not saying Losman is as good as them because I don't think he is,but I don't think it help him having to learn a new offense every year.Plus you have to look at the talent around him.Just because he has a loosing record as a starter doesn't make him a bust, because if that was true than P. Mannings dad Archie was a bust because he wasn't on a winning team his whole career.

Right because everyone had the Bills winnign that game. I mean the Bills were rolling at 1-3 and the Cowboys were struggling with an undefeated record. Plus, when you considered the superstars liek the Pizza Man, Jabari Greer, and George Wilson playing against Dallas' 10 Prio Bowlers, how did the Bills not win by 50 + points??? :pirate:

There were 2 bad calls in that game or else Jauron and the staff would have coached the Bills to one of the biggest upsets in history. It was a terrible ending (of course a player could have recocover an onside kick and end the game, but I'm sure that was Jauron's fault too) but for 59 minutes, the Bills throughly outcoached the Cowboys.

Or, it could be that Romo threw 5 interceptions and Buffalo also returned a kick for 103 yards?

Buffalo had 14 first downs, and Dallas had 24. You're right, Buffalo thoroughly outcoached Dallas.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/boxscore?gam...7&week=REG5

<_<

How about a diferant playbook every year he was here?Fairchild is the only offensive coodinater that he had two years in a row.Plus how many differant QB coaches?How many differant offense coordinaters did Tom Brady have?What about P.Manning?I'm not saying Losman is as good as them because I don't think he is,but I don't think it help him having to learn a new offense every year.Plus you have to look at the talent around him.Just because he has a loosing record as a starter doesn't make him a bust, because if that was true than P. Mannings dad Archie was a bust because he wasn't on a winning team his whole career.

You guys supporting JP need to stop. You're new to the discussion, or at least your screen name is, and I can make this real easy for you: you obviously can not see what others can see. You can not know what others know. You can not, without any degree of accuracy, understand JP's footwork, body language, or his unbelievable inability to read defenses (I mean, hey...have you ever seen him call an audible? Is he blind, or what?). You can't tell that he's not intelligent. You can't see that he is a bust. You can't see what others so clearly see, so please stop trying to make excuses for Losman.

You don't know.

You don't understand.

Others know.

Others understand.

Leave the heavy lifting to them. Because dey's smartz.

Eli Manning has always been better than JP. I don't have my head burried in a stat book. I've seen them play numerous times each and there is no comparison. Eli has always been winning games at a much higher rate than 1 of every 3 starts that JP has done. Eli has led his team to the playoffs multiple times, Eli has played hurt after being declared out for a month by most. Eli was doing well in 2006 before he lost his LT & go to receiver (it was Toomer not Plaxico) and the team went downhill in the 2nd half with those & defensive injuries and Eli took the heat. Now I may be one of Eli's biggest defenders on this board for years, but all you people who believe JP was ever better than Eli are not watching them both play-get your heads out of the stat books & actually watch these guys on the field-One is a consistent winner who is light years ahead of the other. In case you're still burried in the stat book, Eli, Super Bowl Champion is the one who is light years ahead of JP-always has been, always will be.

JP is a bust, keep hoping & dreaming and when he wins the Arenaball championship you can say he's turned the corner.

you have your head buried somewhere, the Giants have been a better TEAM than the Bills

you have your head buried somewhere, the Giants have been a better TEAM than the Bills

I agree.

IMO Kicker (Tyne/Lindell) is a push.

The Bills have IMO a better OLine, better starting RB, better P, better ST Coverage,

The Giants have a better overall Defense, better WRs, better TEs, better RB core, and better....................QB <_< Deal with it :pirate:

Yet, every period of time that a different QB than Losman (be it Bledsoe, Holcomb or Edwards-the 3 QBs who have started during JP's years here) starts, the BILLS have a better TEAM than the Bills. Just look at the W-L records with the same TEAM.

Yet, every period of time that a different QB than Losman (be it Bledsoe, Holcomb or Edwards-the 3 QBs who have started during JP's years here) starts, the BILLS have a better TEAM than the Bills. Just look at the W-L records with the same TEAM.

You're so right. Let's see clean up the city boy go 2-0 against a division opponent like the Jets. Trent did. Bank on it. Division games are important.