Lynch could be sued by hit-n-run victim (changed by order of mod)

I'm just curious as to the amount of the civil judgment/settlement (if any) you people expect in this situation.

Lynch is going to pay through the nose. Punitive damages are likely to be excessive, just because Lynch makes a lot of money and is already the perceived villian.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. Which is why it was similarly and equally as stupid to say those same things about Lynch.

1) We know that Lynch was downtown

2) We know his car hit this woman

Thats enough to make him liable in a civil suit, I'm sure his lawyers now that and are already negotiating a settlement with her.

Lynch is going to pay through the nose. Punitive damages are likely to be excessive, just because Lynch makes a lot of money and is already the perceived villian.

If she doesnt have any long lasting injuries I can't imagine her getting any higher than 5 figures for punitive/pain and suffering damages. If I was his agent I'd tell him to just bite the bullet, pay her off and cop a plea so he can begin to repair his image. If he does these things this week verything will be forgotten by the Seattle game, actually probably sooner than that even.

If she doesnt have any long lasting injuries I can't imagine her getting any higher than 5 figures for punitive/pain and suffering damages. If I was his agent I'd tell him to just bite the bullet, pay her off and cop a plea so he can begin to repair his image. If he does these things this week verything will be forgotten by the Seattle game, actually probably sooner than that even.

Yeah, she won't get seven figures because it's not like she's suing for spilling a cup of coffee on herself... :wallbash:

If this whole mess had been cleaned up in the first week, I'd agree with you. As it drags on, people will perceive Lynch as being more and more at fault. It's probably beyond five figures now, regardless of her injuries.

Yeah, she won't get seven figures because it's not like she's suing for spilling a cup of coffee on herself... :wallbash:

If this whole mess had been cleaned up in the first week, I'd agree with you. As it drags on, people will perceive Lynch as being more and more at fault. It's probably beyond five figures now, regardless of her injuries.

I don't know, sports fans are very forgiving as long as the athlete apologizes and then produces on the field. I just think that Lynch is delaying the inevitible.

If she doesnt have any long lasting injuries I can't imagine her getting any higher than 5 figures for punitive/pain and suffering damages.

I have had a lot of mental anguish straining my brain trying to remember when I got hit. I was way too drunk that night to remember anything.

The only hate here is I hate the hypocrisy. It wasnt anything to do with you. I don't believe a word of what I typed. I was only pointing out what people were doing to Lynch, saying there is only moral and immoral actions, only total truth or total lying, only instant guilt or instant innocence, only black and white, only right and wrong. If Lynch has a moral obligation to come right out and announce to the press and public everything he knows and every bit of evidence and put his cards on the table then so should she. After all, there is a long history of ambulance chasers and people who werent really hurt that much suing people for huge sums of money they don't deserve, right?

Marshawn made his own bed here. He's antagonized the victim (and the police for that matter) by handling this in an adversary fashion. Had he treated this as an accident (even a day or two after the incident) it might be resolved sooner and simpler. There is insurance on the vehicle which covers liability for property damage and personal injury. If he and his agent were smart, he would likely carry an umbrella policy for additional liability above and beyond the vehicle insurance (as does the dealership that owns the car I am sure). He could have filled out reports, apologized privately and publically, dealt with the misdemeanor charge for leaving the scene and let the process take care of itself. The injuries to the victim don't add up to a huge settlement, not one that would reach 7 figures, so the insurance would likely resolve this. He'd pay a fine for the misdemeanor and the harshest penalty would probably come from the league, likely a short suspension. If He had done this, then he's not the villian he is now becoming. If someone else was driving, then he and that person should have come forward in the same fashion.

Instead, he's turning this into a very expensive circus. He's motivated the victim to "take him to the cleaners" along with the DA and the commissioner, and his public perception once very good, will take a severe blow here. His lawyer, knowing that the police knew who's vehicle was involved, should have looked at this whole thing and advised his client to let the insurance companies resolve the accident. The path he is now on was easily predicted and the cost IMO will be higher doing it "his way".

Sure, handling this openly and honestly may not have kept the victim from suing - but every other party that will judge him and punish him (and/or the driver of the car) for this incident (the public, the NFL, the Bills and the courts) would be doing so under much better circumstances.

First of all, why do you say she is suing when both of the articles specifically mention that no decision on suing has been made.

But more importantly, what has she got to hide? Why doesnt she come out and admit she was drunk and not paying attention. Why doesn't she provide the actual notes and documentation from the EMT, the ER doctors and her own doctors. Its clear she is milking this and wants him to pay millions even if he wasnt driving. The moral thing to do is not hide behind her lawyers and come right out and admit that she wasnt really hurt and she screwed up implying that there was any pain or suffering. This silence is total bullschit. I'm ashamed of women and Canadians. This is what pisses me off about regular citizens. They think they can screw over rich and famous people. She needs to come clean right now and clear the air and answer all questions about why she sprinted across the street, dove into a car, and then laid on the street for a full quarter of an hour. Citizens make me sick to my stomach.

:wallbash:

Marshawn has far more responsibility to come clean than she does. I agree it's an exaggerated claim but Marshawn is far more at fault for this than she is.

Sarcasm detector on the fritz?

Shouldn't she also sue the people in the bar who stood there and watched her lie on the ground for 15 minutes while they did nothing?

Shouldn't she also sue the people driving the ambulance...for making her get up and walk to the ambulance?

I mean, if you're gonna sue people, you may as well sue everyone.

Shouldn't she also sue the people in the bar who stood there and watched her lie on the ground for 15 minutes while they did nothing?

Shouldn't she also sue the people driving the ambulance...for making her get up and walk to the ambulance?

Rediculous

No. You sue the "deep pocket." Sorry, that is the way the world works (of course you know :wallbash: )... Hey, everything comes with a price.

Marshawn made his own bed here. He's antagonized the victim (and the police for that matter) by handling this in an adversary fashion. Had he treated this as an accident (even a day or two after the incident) it might be resolved sooner and simpler. There is insurance on the vehicle which covers liability for property damage and personal injury. If he and his agent were smart, he would likely carry an umbrella policy for additional liability above and beyond the vehicle insurance (as does the dealership that owns the car I am sure). He could have filled out reports, apologized privately and publically, dealt with the misdemeanor charge for leaving the scene and let the process take care of itself. The injuries to the victim don't add up to a huge settlement, not one that would reach 7 figures, so the insurance would likely resolve this. He'd pay a fine for the misdemeanor and the harshest penalty would probably come from the league, likely a short suspension. If He had done this, then he's not the villian he is now becoming. If someone else was driving, then he and that person should have come forward in the same fashion.

Instead, he's turning this into a very expensive circus. He's motivated the victim to "take him to the cleaners" along with the DA and the commissioner, and his public perception once very good, will take a severe blow here. His lawyer, knowing that the police knew who's vehicle was involved, should have looked at this whole thing and advised his client to let the insurance companies resolve the accident. The path he is now on was easily predicted and the cost IMO will be higher doing it "his way".

Sure, handling this openly and honestly may not have kept the victim from suing - but every other party that will judge him and punish him (and/or the driver of the car) for this incident (the public, the NFL, the Bills and the courts) would be doing so under much better circumstances.

I think what everyone'f forgetting here is that Marshawn is barely all of 22 years old and not at all versed in things like this. He doesn't have the experience or maturity at that age to tell his advisors to shut up and do the right thing here--he's been very poorly served by them, IMHO, but when you don't have experience in something it's much easier to just "rely on the experts" as I suspect he's doing here. Problem is, his lawyer seems to be a bush league hack (for ex., his firm doesn't even have its own website or even a listing in Martindale-Hubbell, which all decent sized firms have at a bare minimum). I'm a lawyer myself (albeit on the corporate side) and can tell you, the bar is made up of all kinds--from extremely competent to guys who you wonder how they ever graduated from college much less law school or pass the bar. I'm very curious as to who hooked Marshawn up with his attorneys (his agent, perhaps?), as whoever it was doesn't seem to know what he's doing either. This could have been handled with minimal mess when it broke and instead they've turned it into a 3-ring circus, much to their client's and the team's detriment.....

First of all, why do you say she is suing when both of the articles specifically mention that no decision on suing has been made.

But more importantly, what has she got to hide? Why doesnt she come out and admit she was drunk and not paying attention. Why doesn't she provide the actual notes and documentation from the EMT, the ER doctors and her own doctors. Its clear she is milking this and wants him to pay millions even if he wasnt driving. The moral thing to do is not hide behind her lawyers and come right out and admit that she wasnt really hurt and she screwed up implying that there was any pain or suffering. This silence is total bullschit. I'm ashamed of women and Canadians. This is what pisses me off about regular citizens. They think they can screw over rich and famous people. She needs to come clean right now and clear the air and answer all questions about why she sprinted across the street, dove into a car, and then laid on the street for a full quarter of an hour. Citizens make me sick to my stomach.

Your sarcasm makes no points. The important parts of the victim's story were already reported by eye witnesses, emt's and doctors. She WAS treated for injuries, including receiving 7 stitches. She had the right of way. Their word carries more weight than anything she can say.

Your argument in a subsequent post about absolutes is not very compelling either. Just because people feel that Lynch has done the wrong thing in this situation doesn't mean that they're oblivious to the role that circumstance plays. All YOU do opening that can of crap is set yourself up to be the hypocrite next time you have an opinion.

It's understandable that some of you feel compelled to protect the board from inflamatory threads/posts. Strong opinions stir debate and things can get nasty and the board can get dominated by such discussion. Often times, that generates the automated "you don't know what you're talking about" posts from the self important gallery who feel it's their job to suppress negative opinions. But that doesn't mean myself or others who think that Lynch has handled this the wrong way are wrong for feeling so.

No, you sue the person who (alledgedly) hit you with their SUV and drove away.

Or the owner of the SUV for letting them drive it. Whichever's got the deepest pockets.

Really, she could sue Ralph Wilson and Marv Levy for bringing Marshawn to Buffalo to begin with...she wouldn't win, but she could file, and she'd almost certainly find some shyshter lawyer to take the case.

Or the owner of the SUV for letting them drive it. Whichever's got the deepest pockets.

Really, she could sue Ralph Wilson and Marv Levy for bringing Marshawn to Buffalo to begin with...she wouldn't win, but she could file, and she'd almost certainly find some shyshter lawyer to take the case.

I love how people are equating all these outlandish fantasy lawsuits as a way to demonize someone who may or may not sue someone for running them over! I'm a big Lynch fan and I want him on the team but some of you people act like the guy can do no wrong.

Rediculous

Why is it ridiculous? According to her lawyer, the injuries are "not as minor as it has been reported. She’s under the active care of several different physicians for injuries to several different parts of her body. She’s still under medical care.”

Everyone knows you don't move an injured person for fear of injuring them further. How do we know her injuries aren't as minor as was reported because the people running the ambulance made her get up and walk to the ambulance? Shouldn't they be held liable for their actions, which may have resulted in furthering her injuries, as well? Or what about the people who watched her for 15 minutes and did nothing? Perhaps if someone did something sooner, her injuries may have been less than they are now?

If you're gonna sue, sue everyone. You don't go for the deep pocket. You go for every available pocket.

For those of you relatively new to this board, LA used to be funny. About 10,000 posts ago he determined that any sarcastic response by him must automatically be funny or poignant. He's been setting practically every thread straight ever since.

Why is it ridiculous? According to her lawyer, the injuries are "not as minor as it has been reported. She’s under the active care of several different physicians for injuries to several different parts of her body. She’s still under medical care.”

Everyone knows you don't move an injured person for fear of injuring them further. How do we know her injuries aren't as minor as was reported because the people running the ambulance made her get up and walk to the ambulance? Shouldn't they be held liable for their actions, which may have resulted in furthering her injuries, as well? Or what about the people who watched her for 15 minutes and did nothing? Perhaps if someone did something sooner, her injuries may have been less than they are now?

If you're gonna sue, sue everyone. You don't go for the deep pocket. You go for every available pocket.

She's not going for the "deep pocket" she may or may not be going for the "dude who ran me over with an SUV while I had the right of way pocket".

The real villain here is Spot Coffee and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. They're to blame, because if they weren't open those ridiculous hours and taking advantage of drunks, none of this would have happened. We need Cellino and Barnes all over this!

Spot Coffee needs to pay for seducing this poor, drunk Canadian girl, who never would have crossed the street (and destroyed a pro football team and a promising young star) that fateful night if they didn't serve that caffeine laced nectar of the gods at 3:30 am. :wallbash:

Rightly or wrongly you cannot sue someone for not helping you when you are injured absent some specific exceptions. Also, someone who was negligent is liable for all foreseeable damages including bad medical care.

Of course, I am probably being stupid in taking any of this thread seriously.

I think what everyone'f forgetting here is that Marshawn is barely all of 22 years old and not at all versed in things like this. He doesn't have the experience or maturity at that age to tell his advisors to shut up and do the right thing here--he's been very poorly served by them, IMHO, but when you don't have experience in something it's much easier to just "rely on the experts" as I suspect he's doing here. Problem is, his lawyer seems to be a bush league hack (for ex., his firm doesn't even have its own website or even a listing in Martindale-Hubbell, which all decent sized firms have at a bare minimum). I'm a lawyer myself (albeit on the corporate side) and can tell you, the bar is made up of all kinds--from extremely competent to guys who you wonder how they ever graduated from college much less law school or pass the bar. I'm very curious as to who hooked Marshawn up with his attorneys (his agent, perhaps?), as whoever it was doesn't seem to know what he's doing either. This could have been handled with minimal mess when it broke and instead they've turned it into a 3-ring circus, much to their client's and the team's detriment.....

Completely agree and it's refreshing to hear an attorney weigh in on this with a common sense approach.

You are the ultimate one trick pony. :wallbash: Do you ever post anything other than sarcasm?

Your sarcasm makes no points. The important parts of the victim's story were already reported by eye witnesses, emt's and doctors. She WAS treated for injuries, including receiving 7 stitches. She had the right of way. Their word carries more weight than anything she can say.

Your argument in a subsequent post about absolutes is not very compelling either. Just because people feel that Lynch has done the wrong thing in this situation doesn't mean that they're oblivious to the role that circumstance plays. All YOU do opening that can of crap is set yourself up to be the hypocrite next time you have an opinion.

It's understandable that some of you feel compelled to protect the board from inflamatory threads/posts. Strong opinions stir debate and things can get nasty and the board can get dominated by such discussion. Often times, that generates the automated "you don't know what you're talking about" posts from the self important gallery who feel it's their job to suppress negative opinions. But that doesn't mean myself or others who think that Lynch has handled this the wrong way are wrong for feeling so.

In my people have a right to their opinion world, I think my sarcasm made a specific, slightly illuminating, perhaps trenchant point. I'm not surpised you missed or chose to ignore it. I am also not surprised you cherry picked certain alleged facts and combined them with hearsay to make a point that the salient parts of her story are known. What I am surprised at is in your there is only one way to look at things and its my holier than thou and right is right and wrong is wrong way, that you would not apply it to both sides.

In my people have a right to their opinion world, I think my sarcasm made a specific, slightly illuminating, perhaps trenchant point. I'm not surpised you missed or chose to ignore it. I am also not surprised you cherry picked certain alleged facts and combined them with hearsay to make a point that the salient parts of her story are known. What I am surprised at is in your there is only one way to look at things and its my holier than thou and right is right and wrong is wrong way, that you would not apply it to both sides.

Your sarcasm made no point whatsoever. You just get off on being the contrarian.

I think your thoughts about being a lawyer and lawyering have confused your clouded corporate mind...you do not happen to work for the bills do you? I would suggest you think about the many matters that you have handled which did not seem as straight forward as they appeared and reflect quietly.

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive subject lines. The topic starter can edit the subject line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

I love how people are equating all these outlandish fantasy lawsuits as a way to demonize someone who may or may not sue someone for running them over! I'm a big Lynch fan and I want him on the team but some of you people act like the guy can do no wrong.

I'm not demonizing anyone, you retard. I'm simply stating a fact: she can file suit against everybody who's even tenuously involved, and somewhere some scumbag lawyer will take the case. This current suit, however, is justified, and she is entitled to some damages. She will probably get more than is deserved, simply because Lynch has been publicly demonized for a couple weeks now over this...but that isn't even remotely her fault.

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive subject lines. The topic starter can edit the subject line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

I thought it was plenty descriptive. Aren't we being a tad picky?

PTR

Quick little 2 cent moment here...four pages, and no one brought it up.

The article states that her lawyer is acting as if her continued seeking of medical care after the injuries, is some how causing her much debt. After all, the quote from the lawyer says that the injuries are much worse than the media presents them to be.

Does Canada not have free health care for all citizens?

Yes Lynch did not do the proper thing IF he was driving the car. IF he was he should pay her the miniscule amount for pain and suffering and pay her AMERICAN hospital bills.

We aren't looking at anymore than seven figures, and some community service, here people.

I thought it was plenty descriptive. Aren't we being a tad picky?

PTR

First you falsely claimed that the woman was suing when in fact the article clearly states "O’Connell ... said no decision has been made on whether Shpeley will file a lawsuit against Lynch.".

Then you falsely claimed that Lynch hit her, when in fact we have no idea who was driving.

So yes, your subject was plenty descriptive; it just happened to be entirely fabricated.

The article states that her lawyer is acting as if her continued seeking of medical care after the injuries, is some how causing her much debt. After all, the quote from the lawyer says that the injuries are much worse than the media presents them to be.

Yes Lynch did not do the proper thing IF he was driving the car. IF he was he should pay her the miniscule amount for pain and suffering and pay her AMERICAN hospital bills.

We aren't looking at anymore than seven figures, and some community service, here people.

You know, that's not a bad point. An acquaintance of mine from Ottawa had surgery in April, and the only paperwork he saw afterward was a prescription for painkillers. But with the rationing system, I guess the question would be whether or not she's continuing treatment over here rather than being put on a waiting list at home.

For those of you relatively new to this board, LA used to be funny. About 10,000 posts ago he determined that any sarcastic response by him must automatically be funny or poignant. He's been setting practically every thread straight ever since.

For those of you relatively new to this board, I could gives two shiiits what anyone seriously thinks about my posts. It's a Buffalo Bills message board in JUNE, not America Idol.

There's an "ignore" feature. If you honestly don't like what you're reading from me, use it, tell the mods to get rid of me, or shut the pie hole.

You know, that's not a bad point. An acquaintance of mine from Ottawa had surgery in April, and the only paperwork he saw afterward was a prescription for painkillers. But with the rationing system, I guess the question would be whether or not she's continuing treatment over here rather than being put on a waiting list at home.

:wallbash: