who tinkled in Jerry's cornflakes this a.m. J.P.?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/336249.html

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns/jerrysullivan/story/336249.html

i knew Sully didn't like JP but what brought this on?

i apologize if link does not work. i never have used this feature before. article is on TBD main page

It is kind of out of the blue, isn't it. Almost as if they ran into each other at an Elmwood Ave. drinking establishment, had an argument, and Sullivan just couldn't leave it alone. Not saying that happened but I wonder if Sullivan isn't that type.

GO BILLS!!!

It is kind of out of the blue, isn't it. Almost as if they ran into each other at an Elmwood Ave. drinking establishment, had an argument, and Sullivan just couldn't leave it alone. Not saying that happened but I wonder if Sullivan isn't that type.

GO BILLS!!!

Sullivan is exactly that type. Someone needs to bitchslap that ignorant POS.

He's arguing with himself ... he says "Just because management keeps reminding us they intend to keep Losman as the backup quarterback, it’s suddenly the best thing that could happen to the team? "

Well, no, not the BEST thing Jerry, no one said THAT. It's just not the end of the world. the BEST thing would be for Edwards to be healthy and effective and then the backup is a non-factor.

i apologize if link does not work. i never have used this feature before. article is on TBD main page

This article is ridiculous. We are pretty much reconciled to JP being a backup in Buffalo. But to bash the guy further and say he is not even worthy of being a backup is pure ignorance and borderline malicious. He is approaching the level of intelligence shown by Expert_Opinion.

He's arguing with himself ... he says "Just because management keeps reminding us they intend to keep Losman as the backup quarterback, it’s suddenly the best thing that could happen to the team? "

Well, no, not the BEST thing Jerry, no one said THAT. It's just not the end of the world. the BEST thing would be for Edwards to be healthy and effective and then the backup is a non-factor.

Actually, the best thing would be for someone to coldcock that sniveling whiney a-hole and laugh as the blood trickles down his chin. JMO though.

GO BILLSSS!!!

Actually, the best thing would be for someone to coldcock that sniveling whiney a-hole and laugh as the blood trickles down his chin. JMO though.

GO BILLSSS!!!

Lemme guess. Your Sully's brother, aren't you?

GO BILLS!!!

I really don't think it was as bad of an article as some are making out to be. I like Losman but the way he called out coaches and made comments about Ralph being the benching was bush league. Again, he is a good guy and I'm sure quite frustrated, but you don't do that. You take responsiblity for your own play.

And for as much as we said that it's good to have JP as a backup, I have little doubts he wasn't on the block. Even if Edwards gets hurt, has Losman ever show he could put more than a couple of good starts together? Fact is, no one offered anything of value. So Sullivan is right that it doesn't serve Edwards any good having JP as a backup. Because they were always be those brain-dead people who are willing to give up on a 2nd year player for a 5th year one (with mostly average to below average play) the moment TE struggles.

I think JP would be a great backup QB. He has proven he can come in and win (replaced Holcomb vs. KC, replaced Edwards vs. NYJ). For me, he had his shining opportunity as a starter against Jax last season, and failed miserably. But I have no qualms about him coming in if Trent got knocked dizzy.

The prospect of JP stringing wins together as a starter is unrealistic based on his past. But what teams in the league TRUTHFULLY expect that they will be okay if their starting QB goes down? There are no teams who would feel comfortable using their backup for an extended stretch, 3 games or more...Most would be in trouble.

I also don't fear the "JP hovering over Trent's shoulder" angle.

Sully is a clown and the article can sound a little harsh at times, but whatever...The only piece I disagree with is the line, "The Bills knew they were done with JP when they drafted Edwards last season." Completely untrue. The Bills were hoping for big things from JP, and also had a gaping hole at backup QB.

Because they were always be those brain-dead people who are willing to give up on a 2nd year player for a 5th year one (with mostly average to below average play) the moment TE struggles.

Anyone else catch the irony in this statement? You arent related to mike mularkey, are you?

Anyone else catch the irony in this statement? You arent related to mike mularkey, are you?

Hey, if you go back, I was a huge JP supporter (as I am about every player on the team). I defended hi magainst people who were saying we should have drafted Leinart in 2006. He need a chance to play and prove his worth. Now I know it hasn't been ideal, but after 3 years, I'm just ready to turn the page. I just hope that all the people who make a million excuses for JP give Edwards the same benefit of the doubt.

Hey, if you go back, I was a huge JP supporter (as I am about every player on the team). I defended hi magainst people who were saying we should have drafted Leinart in 2006. He need a chance to play and prove his worth. Now I know it hasn't been ideal, but after 3 years, I'm just ready to turn the page. I just hope that all the people who make a million excuses for JP give Edwards the same benefit of the doubt.

I wasnt accusing you of anything specifically. I saw the way that the Bills completely bungled JP's development, and my biggest hope is that they do NOT repeat this with trent.

Sully probably still stews that Losman called him out in a post-game press conference. Seems to be the editorial style of News' sports columnists. Like Gleason's need to flavor each hockey story with, "... meanwhile, in case you haven't read, the Sabres lost Drury & Briere..." Sully needs to bash Losman because Checkers ran low on beer the night before.

I'd like to see that whiney knobgobbler line up as QB and take just one snap at the Bills' camp this summer. I'd also like to see Troy Vincent back for that play. :D

It's become so obvious over the years that Sullivan knows nothing about football, but certainly has his personal vendettas and an overwhelming desire to have his ridiculous opinions vindicated. If he wants to criticize Losman, he should learn about the game like George Plimpton did in Paper Lion, taking a stab at backup QB for the Detroit Lions...

Paper Lion

Go ahead Sully. Got the balls?

This article is ridiculous. We are pretty much reconciled to JP being a backup in Buffalo. But to bash the guy further and say he is not even worthy of being a backup is pure ignorance and borderline malicious. He is approaching the level of intelligence shown by Expert_Opinion.

Is it possible? Expert Opinion = Jerry Sullivan!?

The part of the article that really got me was that he believes that JP Losman is not in the top 50 QBs in the league. Really? It's ot even a given that he is worse than all of the starters (I'm not trying to make a case for JP as the starter or even that he is that good, but just that he is not as bad as Sullivan makes him out to be). Is JP worse than the following possible starters?

John Beck

Kyle Boller

Tavaris Jackson

Rex Grossman

Kyle Orton

I view all these players as along the same lines as JP (and this doesn't include any of the rookies from this past draft) and think they are all about equal in value. The only real difference would be potential vs realized play.

On top of those players, to then find another 18 QBs who are better than JP would be tough. Not to mention, would you really want a guy with zero experience as a backup? I agree that JP probably isn't going to get us in the playoffs if Trent goes down for a long time, but to say that you'd rather have the UDFA QB we signed come in for the second half of a game in relief of Trent is nuts.

In summary, Sullivan is an attention whore.

He seems a bit nutty for sure. Look...what is the purpose of a backup? To be ready to step in for the starter. Losman is certainly the best available person to fill that job. He has experience with the team, his statistics aren't that much worse than Edwards and he MAY actually press Edwards for the starting job. Edwards isn't thirteen years old and he knows that this is a business and there is always SOMEONE who wants his job. He'll deal with it.

If Evans doesn't catch a pass for a month HE'LL be raising hell? Every fan in the Ralph will be raising hell and most of us on the board will be raising hell. Jerry do you think the answer is to have nothing on the bench to remedy the situation? Doesn't sound like a good plan to me. If Edwards doesn't get the job done it is possible that JP will start.

I think Edwards will be much better this year and will in fact be our starter for some years. The more likely scenario is an injury that will put him out of contention for a few games, in which case JP will be the guy.

JP has handled a difficult situation about as well as could be expected. If I saw him on tv every twenty minutes whining I'd say get rid of him. Being a team player and doing his best is what will work for him in free agency and what will work for us in the next year.

Is it possible? Expert Opinion = Jerry Sullivan!?

:D

LMAO, then thought about it for a moment - the M.O. certainly fits. Since I got back from the bank only to find that JP is still here - and Brandon saying it'll stay that way - is it possible that Expert Opinion/Sullivan is just whining because he looks so stupid now?

sullivan is a punk,,! he is a john clayton wannabee!! for what reason no one knows except he resembles him..r

.. the news thought this hack writer was cheap fix to a retiring columnist. way to go!!! more carpetbaggers in local media..

Jerry's first two articles were nixed. Why are the Bills keeping Fred Jackson on the roster when they could have traded him for Roy Williams or Larry Fitzgerald, and how can the Bills say keeping Haman on the roster is a good thing with 2nd string QB JP Losman looking over his shoulder.

First off I'd like to say Suulivan is a D....k

He does have a couple valid points though. If the Bills did get a good offer for JP they would've taken it and it could be a distraction in the locker room.

Personally I think where the Bills screwed up with JP was trying to make him a pocket passer. Clearly he's at his best when he's a mobile quaterback and it would have been fun to see what he could've done with a little more leeway. I'm not sure he'll ever be a starter in the league but it would have been fun to see him do what he does best.

JP was also right about Ralph pulling the quaterback strings but even though he was frustrated he should have kept his mouth shut.

Im one of Losman's biggest critics on this board but even I think this article was a little harsh. With that being said he made some points that I have been saying all along. There is not much of a market out there for Losman. If there was the bills would of certainly unloaded him. Also, Losman did call out the coaching staff, & worse called out Mr Wilson. Lastly, a player of his stature who has accomplished so little in the league should of really kept his mouth shut or his agent should of kept his mouth shut in the offseason. A guy of his stature should not demand anything & just consider himself lucky that he is still earning a paycheck in the NFL.

You know who I'd really like to have a conversation with? Sam Wyche. I'm really curious to know what the experience was like working with JP right from the start. Sam always spoke really highly of him, in terms of his talent and as a person. Sam practically had himself surgically attached to JP from what I remember. At this point, does Sam still feel like he has what it takes to learn and improve?

I don't know what the thing is exactly that keeps JP from getting to that next level. It's like when the heat is on, he's too willing to just fall back on his athleticism because that's what worked for him in the past. And that's not cutting it in the NFL. Maybe it's the case that he just does not have the vision and quick decisiveness that separates the great from the mediocre. Me, I don't think that's it. I've seen him be relaxed and make the good quick decision in spots. Then he gets antsy and loses the focus.

I still feel like JP is bright enough and dedicated enough that he could "get it" and be a legit starter somewhere. Anyway, that's my uninformed opinion. Really there are only two things I know for sure: 1. NFL quarterback is a hard hard hard job. 2. Jerry Sullivan is a world class douchebag.

You know who I'd really like to have a conversation with? Sam Wyche. I'm really curious to know what the experience was like working with JP right from the start. Sam always spoke really highly of him, in terms of his talent and as a person. Sam practically had himself surgically attached to JP from what I remember. At this point, does Sam still feel like he has what it takes to learn and improve?

I don't know what the thing is exactly that keeps JP from getting to that next level. It's like when the heat is on, he's too willing to just fall back on his athleticism because that's what worked for him in the past. And that's not cutting it in the NFL. Maybe it's the case that he just does not have the vision and quick decisiveness that separates the great from the mediocre. Me, I don't think that's it. I've seen him be relaxed and make the good quick decision in spots. Then he gets antsy and loses the focus.

I still feel like JP is bright enough and dedicated enough that he could "get it" and be a legit starter somewhere. Anyway, that's my uninformed opinion. Really there are only two things I know for sure: 1. NFL quarterback is a hard hard hard job. 2. Jerry Sullivan is a world class douchebag.

I always got the feeling sullivan was the kid growing up that noone picked on their sports teams & now he is just a bitter writer.

I was just about to say the same thing as the thread title...

Clearly, JS has some sort of agenda with this... His drivel is the sort of thing which causes the controversial stuff he is lambasting...

He admits that JPL was a good soldier last season (which he was), and somehow assumes that in his last season when he hopes to be signed to a lucartive deal next season he'll turn in to a poison pill?

I'll admit that I like JPL. He adopted Buffalo as a home, and spearheaded a volunteer effort to make Buffalo a better place. Even if he was Todd Collins he doesn't deserve that op-ed piece. It's insulting. JP has done absolutely nothing to merit that sort of venom.

All that said...

There is a bit of a valid point to his article if you cut through the BS. JP is not part of a long term solution in Buffalo (since it is very unlikely he'll stay short of some miracle), and so it is true that every down he plays is detracting from the teams future. I still think he'll be a servicable backup.

If I were Brandon, we have the following options:

1) Cut Losman (get absolutely nothing for him, take a cap hit, and look like a fool) - which seems like what JS would have him do.

2) Trade him for whatever you can get.

Both these options hurt the team (I'm sorry, but I don't see a FA QB or one on the roster who can step in this year as a backup with as much as JP has to offer...) this year. The best you could hope for is getting a servicable backup QB in return for JP in a trade.

3) keep him on the roster as backup knowing he will not resign with the team regardless of how the season unfolds. Of course, something could happen which would change this - one never knows but it is doubtful. (this seems to be the option the Bills are going with). Then next year, when he doesn't sign with the Bills, perhaps a compensatory pick could come our way in 2010.

4) keep him on the roster, and if you really want to screw around use a tag on him at the end of the season to try and trade him like we did with Peerless. (Probably not the option the bills will take).

None of these are optimal solutions in my view... but how does the phrase go? Foisted in your own pitard? The Bills made their bed when they showed no loyalty to JP. It doesn't matter that Levy and Fairchild are gone to JP - and I think he's absolutely right that Wilson still pulls some strings - which is his right as owner.

I was just about to say the same thing as the thread title...

Clearly, JS has some sort of agenda with this... His drivel is the sort of thing which causes the controversial stuff he is lambasting...

He admits that JPL was a good soldier last season (which he was), and somehow assumes that in his last season when he hopes to be signed to a lucartive deal next season he'll turn in to a poison pill?

I'll admit that I like JPL. He adopted Buffalo as a home, and spearheaded a volunteer effort to make Buffalo a better place. Even if he was Todd Collins he doesn't deserve that op-ed piece. It's insulting. JP has done absolutely nothing to merit that sort of venom.

All that said...

There is a bit of a valid point to his article if you cut through the BS. JP is not part of a long term solution in Buffalo (since it is very unlikely he'll stay short of some miracle), and so it is true that every down he plays is detracting from the teams future. I still think he'll be a servicable backup.

If I were Brandon, we have the following options:

1) Cut Losman (get absolutely nothing for him, take a cap hit, and look like a fool) - which seems like what JS would have him do.

2) Trade him for whatever you can get.

Both these options hurt the team (I'm sorry, but I don't see a FA QB or one on the roster who can step in this year as a backup with as much as JP has to offer...) this year. The best you could hope for is getting a servicable backup QB in return for JP in a trade.

3) keep him on the roster as backup knowing he will not resign with the team regardless of how the season unfolds. Of course, something could happen which would change this - one never knows but it is doubtful. (this seems to be the option the Bills are going with). Then next year, when he doesn't sign with the Bills, perhaps a compensatory pick could come our way in 2010.

4) keep him on the roster, and if you really want to screw around use a tag on him at the end of the season to try and trade him like we did with Peerless. (Probably not the option the bills will take).

None of these are optimal solutions in my view... but how does the phrase go? Foisted in your own pitard? The Bills made their bed when they showed no loyalty to JP. It doesn't matter that Levy and Fairchild are gone to JP - and I think he's absolutely right that Wilson still pulls some strings - which is his right as owner.

Tag him?????? JP would sign the tender that day. You know what a franchise tag is for a QB??

an open letter sent to JS and Steve Jones (Sports Editor) today

Subject: feedback from a sports fan

Hello,

I was born and raised in Buffalo, but like many others, lack of jobs forced me to move out of the area. As a result, I've lived in several metropolitan areas around the US and had the opportunity to read a lot of sports writer's wit and opinions. I will also mention that I have never once written to a reporter before today.

After following your column for many years, I have to say you are the most biased, abrasive, and uninformed sports writer I have ever read, in any newspaper, in any US city. Your lack of understanding and poor judgment borders on ridiculous; the textbook example being today's column on J.P. Losman. In typical Jerry Sullivan style, you write things that are borderline fabrications (i.e. the Bills drafting Trent Edwards because they had already made their decision on Losman rather than inferring that they had doubts about him), but your bias and conclusions reflect how oblivious you really are about sports and players.

It's time to put your keepsakes in a box and clean your desk out, because your lack of talent, amplified by your hostile and partisan writing style, damage the sports pages in an otherwise honorable newspaper.

from a lifelong Buffalo sports fan

Given the way he has been handled, JP has been a pretty good soldier through all this, and is showing up for camp and not creating waves. I am also one who hopes he would "get it" and see his talent flourish. look at eli manning, they were ready to tar and feather him out of NYC, then the light came on and they win the superbowl.

I figure the coaches know what they are doing, and cannot wait forever on JP, but it would not surprise me if he gets traded that he ends up being a servicable starting NFL qb.

Rock on

Im one of Losman's biggest critics on this board but even I think this article was a little harsh. With that being said he made some points that I have been saying all along. There is not much of a market out there for Losman. If there was the bills would of certainly unloaded him. Also, Losman did call out the coaching staff, & worse called out Mr Wilson. Lastly, a player of his stature who has accomplished so little in the league should of really kept his mouth shut or his agent should of kept his mouth shut in the offseason. A guy of his stature should not demand anything & just consider himself lucky that he is still earning a paycheck in the NFL.

Your opinion becomes more and more laughable with each post.

I think the way that this plays itself out is that after this season, Losman signs on as a FA with the Jets in 2009, wins the starting job, and proves Buffalo doubters like Sullivan wrong.

Um, JP has built his QB rating on playing the Jets (and Fins) twice a year. Consider me not worried in the slightest.

Your opinion becomes more and more laughable with each post.

What becomes laughable is that you & your cronies on this board actually think JP Losman is an NFL caliber Starting QB. Every team basically said no thanks to Losman this year, that they would rather have guys like Tavarres Jackson, Quinn Gray & Brodie Croyle then your man crush, but they are all wrong & your right. What a joke. The only bigger joke is the college football team you root for & the old bastard that coaches them.