For those who don't like this draft

todd

For those who don't like the draft, please post your resume. Please include the following:

1. number of hours (+/- 20) spent studying film this past offseason. Anything less than 120, don't bother posting.

2. number of years employed by an NFL team evaluating talent

3. Number of combines attended

4. Specialty in evaluation by position, and years evaluating each position

5. If you don't have 5 years evaluating college talent at the NFL level, please post the NFL position you played and # of years at that position.

6. If you have more than 10 years evaluating talent, please give the number of years at the director level.

7. If none of the above, please post the number of years experience as an NFL coach, assistant, or owner.

I just want to get an idea of the credibility of the skeptics around here. Basically, I want to know whose opinions I should ignore.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who don't like the draft, please post your resume. Please include the following:

1. number of hours (+/- 20) spent studying film this past offseason. Anything less than 120, don't bother posting.

5. If you don't have 5 years evaluating college talent at the NFL level, please post the NFL position you played and # of years at that position.

6. If you have more than 10 years evaluating talent, please give the number of years at the director level.

7. If none of the above, please post the number of years experience as an NFL coach, assistant, or owner.

I just want to get an idea of the credibility of the skeptics around here. Basically, I want to know whose opinions I should ignore.

Post of the millenium.

That's not even relevant. People are looking at it compared to other teams.

You're basically saying NOBODY has any right to disagree with some of these draft picks.

You are the almighty censor on this board, I presume.

Devil's Advocate--for those that do, post your's as well.... :thumbsup:

but that's just the thing. im sitting back and letting the pros be pros. i like this draft, not because they are picking guys i like, but because i'm not trying to pretend that i know more than the front office. and throwing hissy fits cause they arent pleasing me by reading my mind.

I flunk your "test" but I hate this draft. It baffles me that this team thinks it has the luxury of drafting a slew of special teams/bubble "skill" position players. This squad is a lineman (offensive or defensive) injury away from a 2-14 season. We need to be drafting Peters' and Stroud's replacements, not Hagan's and A-Train's replacements. Look at Parcells' draft if you want to see the correct method for stabilizing your franchise.

On the other hand, some (read TODD) aren't qualified to post on this board.

I have kept you blocked for several years just because of stupid posts like this.

Carry on!

:thumbsup:

but that's just the thing. im sitting back and letting the pros be pros. i like this draft, not because they are picking guys i like, but because i'm not trying to pretend that i know more than the front office. and throwing hissy fits cause they arent pleasing me by reading my mind.

John Guy must have a great 'ready list' of O-line guys that we don't know about.

I like this draft, with some disagreements on the overall direction of it, but those disagreements are just part of it. This would be an awfully boring place if we all nodded our heads in agreement with everything the Bills do.

And should those who like everything about this draft also post their 'resume' as proof that their opinion is valid as well? It cuts both ways.

So why even bother watching? We all have our expectations (as ignorant or unknowledgable some of us might be--I'm in that category I admit). That is the fun of watching it. It's too easy to say they are the pros, they watch film blah blah blah. What the heck have we been talking about for months now, we should just accept everything as it is ...no they make mistakes too...10 years worth it seems. To me, this is a very blah draft. I hope I'm wrong--but it doesn't excite me. I like picks 2,3 and 6...but who knows?

I flunk your "test" but I hate this draft. It baffles me that this team thinks it has the luxury of drafting a slew of special teams/bubble "skill" position players. This squad is a lineman (offensive or defensive) injury away from a 2-14 season. We need to be drafting Peters' and Stroud's replacements, not Hagan's and A-Train's replacements. Look at Parcells' draft if you want to see the correct method for stabilizing your franchise.

Why would we draft Peters' "replacement" this year?

(don't tell this guy we drafted an O-lineman to develop)

This squad is a lineman (offensive or defensive) injury away from a 2-14 season.

That's asinine. Go let me get this straight...Last year's team + Stroud + Mitchell + Hardy + McKelvin + experience for last years rookies (Edwards, Poz, Lynch) will have 2 wins if Peters goes down? Tell me how in the Christ that makes any sense, and shouldnt be viewed as brutally pessimistic and negative?

STFU. What a stupid thread.

I'm going to venture a guess that you probably hold political opinions even though you've never served a day in a public office in your life. If your friends and family have to endure your undoubtedly stupid thoughts on politics, then you can endure people's opinions on the NFL draft here.

Oh, and why should only the people who dislike the draft post their qualifications? Technically, anyone who holds ANY opinion on the draft -- positive or negative -- isn't "qualified" to do so.

You forgot:

Number of seasons subscribed to Mel Kiper's Draft Guide.

-If there are any gaps in consecutive years subscribed, please describe in detail where you were getting your info

Mock drafts read per week

Personal mock drafts submitted to intarweb message boards per week

-Of these mocks, how many had Owen Schmidt to the Bills in the 4th?

When the Bills win a superbowl I'll give the Bills the Benefit of the doubt on anything that looks screwy - as for qualifications I'm old enough to remember Bill Polian drafts so I know good- are you a chef ?, did you go to culinary school ? no- yet you know If the food tastes good or tastes like crap -amazing

So why even bother watching? We all have our expectations (as ignorant or unknowledgable some of us might be--I'm in that category I admit). That is the fun of watching it. It's too easy to say they are the pros, they watch film blah blah blah. What the heck have we been talking about for months now, we should just accept everything as it is ...no they make mistakes too...10 years worth it seems. To me, this is a very blah draft. I hope I'm wrong--but it doesn't excite me. I like picks 2,3 and 6...but who knows?

Why bother watching? That has nothing to do with it. He's simply stating that he's letting the scouts do their job and isn't trying to pretend that he knows more than them. And no, the "fun of watching it" isn't bitching and complaining that we took a OLB in the 5th friggin round instead of a 3rd string tackle. It just doesn't matter at that point, you're trying to find a diamond in the rough, and the guys that are picking our players know 1000x more than anyone on this board.

i watch because im excited to see which college players my team is getting in the draft.

not to prove to some message board, or to myself, that im "right" about anything.

maybe they make mistakes, maybe they dont. the DAY OF the draft is not a rational time to tell.

get over it.

When the Bills win a superbowl I'll give the Bills the Benefit of the doubt on anything that looks screwy - as for qualifications I'm old enough to remember Bill Polian drafts so I know good- are you a chef ?, did you go to culinary school ? no- yet you know If the food tastes good or tastes like crap -amazing

and yet, youre judging the food before its even out of the oven.

flawless logic

Why bother watching? That has nothing to do with it. He's simply stating that he's letting the scouts do their job and isn't trying to pretend that he knows more than them. And no, the "fun of watching it" isn't bitching and complaining that we took a OLB in the 5th friggin round instead of a 3rd string tackle. It just doesn't matter at that point, you're trying to find a diamond in the rough, and the guys that are picking our players know 1000x more than anyone on this board.

The question is not whether they know more than us, but whether they know more than the other scouts? That is where we have the moxy to judge.

STFU. What a stupid thread.

I'm going to venture a guess that you probably hold political opinions even though you've never served a day in a public office. If your friends and family have to endure your undoubtedly stupid thoughts on politics, then you can endure people's opinions on the NFL draft here.

Oh, and why should only the people who dislike the draft post their qualifications? Technically, anyone who holds ANY opinion on the draft -- positive or negative -- isn't "qualified" to do so.

I REALLY liked the draft. At the same time I know that all of us, Bills included, are years out from knowing how good it was. So I don't blow a gasket and proclaim the draft a total failure or success. I think Todd, myself, and several others are fine with people not liking the draft. The board was made for debate, I just wish those with both positive and negative views would keep it in the context that none of us really know, or will ever know until about 3 years from now. It's one thing to say I don't like the draft, it's another to say the Bills draft sucked. You can not like it, but you sure as hell don't know if it sucked, just like I sure as hell don't know that it was good.

Shucks. I'm gonna miss posting here. Maybe there's another venue for me to discuss my favorite football team other than TBD, because I've got barely any of those qualifications. It's hard being a fan these days.

I suppose I could put my username up for auction. Anybody want my account?

Seriously people? We drafted some good players this year. Ellis is a beast, and Bell is a very athletic developmental project akin to Peters. People forget we signed Spencer Johnson, who had 3 sacks and 16 QB pressures last year. Not to mention McCargo is developing nicely. It's easy to overlook this if you don't have the perspective of someone who works in the NFL. I'm very confident that the Bills would have gotten someone if they truly felt their Olinemen/Dlinemen were not up to the task.

Just my two cents.

The first two years of the Jauron era was the equivalent of the first year of the Parcells era. There were new systems installed and a complete overhaul of the team. You want 4-5 starters out of your draft. Three years into it, there was really only 2-3 starting spots available on this team and we filled them with the first 2-3 picks. Meaning, of course, that a fourth round pick is not going to start. That is when you look for players that can help your team as back-ups or projects or ST players. Yes, we could use a starting TE but even if we drafted Fred Davis or John Carlson he still wouldn't start this year. And there obviously wasnt a TE worth very much, at least as a starter, in the fourth round. I would have chose a few different players myself, but this isnt a comparable situation to what Parcells was looking to do at all.

Todd, you are better than this.

Why must posters on a message board be qualified to dislike, but not to like a draft? Should you too be posting your resume?

Bill, you're smarter than this. Perhaps it's because posters who "like" the draft are at least relying upon or putting faith in the experience and resume of the individuals making the decisions, whereas the folks who "dislike" the draft are relying upon, well, I don't know -- they just like to complain. Some, like you, have a philosophy of how to build a football team and don't like the fact that the Bills aren't following your preferred strategy. That's fine; at least we know your position because we've seen it stated ad infinitum and you make an effort to defend it logically. Most, however, are (I would guess) knuckleheads who listen to a few talking heads and then think they're experts. It makes the board a mess of a place to visit right about now.

To me, this draft comes down to what I thought was a pretty basic assumption -- after the 3rd round you don't expect to find immediate starters, so you go after players who can contribute immediately on ST (an area of need for the Bills, by the way) and also have some attributes that might permit them to develop into starters in a couple of years.

Reasonable minds may differ as to whether the Bills should have stockpiled linemen in early rounds, but if you're able to come to grips with their philosophy then I think you have to admit they did a good job of addressing what they wanted to in this draft.

Your resume please. Do you have one?

That's not even relevant. People are looking at it compared to other teams.

You're basically saying NOBODY has any right to disagree with some of these draft picks.

You are the almighty censor on this board, I presume.

i watch because im excited to see which college players my team is getting in the draft.

not to prove to some message board, or to myself, that im "right" about anything.

maybe they make mistakes, maybe they dont. the DAY OF the draft is not a rational time to tell.

get over it.

Get over what? This board seems to have a lot of psychologists---they seem to tell me how I should feel.

I haven't given an opinion either way on the draft. I'm not qualified. I am qualified, however, to call bullsh!t when I see it, though.

Todd, you are better than this.

Why must posters on a message board be qualified to dislike, but not to like a draft? Should you too be posting your resume?

Get over what? This board seems to have a lot of psychologists---they seem to tell me how I should feel.

get over the fact that no matter how much you complain, no matter how much you think youre right, it doesnt change anything. and no one knows as this point if this is a "good" or "bad" draft.

so calm down and enjoy some football.

or not. whatever.

I like this draft, with some disagreements on the overall direction of it, but those disagreements are just part of it. This would be an awfully boring place if we all nodded our heads in agreement with everything the Bills do.

And should those who like everything about this draft also post their 'resume' as proof that their opinion is valid as well? It cuts both ways.

Yeah, those that love the draft should post their resume, too.

Liked McCelvin, liked Hardy, ok with Ellis (needed a DE), not too sure about Corner, Fine seems like another Schouman pick to me, RB? really...seems like a wasted pick here with our more glaring needs, dont know much about the LB...might have liked to see Erin Henderson, CB in 7th round blew my mind. Would think another D or O line pick would have been better...can all or CB's even make the roster?

I've never seen so much fighting in one fan base. Skins Eagles fans fight less than this board.

Nice post.

There's too much negativity, it brings me down man. Some people are impossible to please, it's never good enough.

I loved this draft and am so pumped about this coming season. Renewed optimism.