Wal-Mart - a reflection of what's wrong in this country

That's not actually what I said...but you're right. As it is, the family got such a poor settlement that their award doesn't even cover their liabilities. Would it have been hard to do just a little bit of due diligence to see if her health insurance had any sort of claim? <_< Pick up the phone, call someone at Wal-Mart HQ, and say "We're going after the trucking company for this...anything we should know?"

The real problem with the case is that the trucking company was only covered for $1 million in liabilities, and the family netted only about $600K after fees & expenses. But, it's much easier to blame WalMart, who had nothing to do with the accident, nor the injury lawsuit.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real problem with the case is that the trucking company was only covered for $1 million in liabilities, and the family netted only about $600K after fees & expenses. But, it's much easier to blame WalMart, who had nothing to do with the accident, nor the injury lawsuit.

How the hell can a trucking company be allowed to operate with only $1mill in liability coverage?

I'm going through this right now due to injuries I sustained in an auto accident about a year and a half ago. I still haven't settled but I know I will need to pay back at least a portion of my medical bills to my insurer out of the settlement. The main issue here is Wal -Mart not following what I have learned is fairly standard practice in these types of cases. That is that your attorney will often negotiate so that only a portion of the medical bills need to be repaid. Her attorney speaks to this point towards the end of the article, but apparently Wal Mart won't budge.

But in August 2005, Wal-Mart re-emerged with a lawsuit against the Shanks demanding repayment for $469,216 in medical costs out of their settlement. It charged that the Shanks had violated the terms of the health plan by not reimbursing it. The company also demanded payment of legal fees and interest for the cost of suing the Shanks for the money.

Mr. Graham, the Shanks' attorney, says he approached Wal-Mart's attorneys about negotiating a compromise, but was told the health plan wanted to proceed with the lawsuit. "We're not contending that Wal-Mart isn't entitled to a payment. We're saying they're entitled to one based on equity," he says. Since Mrs. Shank wasn't fully compensated for her damages in the first place, he argues, Wal-Mart should also expect only partial reimbursement.

I know Wal Mart is well within their rights to do this, but I really feel for this woman and her family.

Of course, you could just as easily flip it upside-down and say "What !@#$ing unconscionable pieces of sh-- that family must be. They knew under the terms of the healthcare contract they'd have to reimburse Wal-Mart, and they're trying to keep the money. That's breach of contract and theft. They also didn't identify all the interested parties before they brought the suit on, which makes them and - especially - their attorneys idiots.

I'm no fan of Wal-Mart (hate 'em, in fact. Try to avoid setting foot in them whenever possible. "Slap a Wal-Mart Greeter" is my motto.) But there's two sides to every story..

It doesn't seem like they tried to rip WalMart off. She probably didn't know the clause was there...and obviously, more to the point, she had to have healthcare insurance, so she sucked it up and signed. This is an uncommon case, not a situation where someone is trying to victimize "poor unfortunate WalMart".

I hate wal-mart. I boycotted them for like 2-3 years. then i realized that i was only hurting my own pocket book.. because no one else was boycotting them.

I also think Sonic is another example of whats wrong with this country.

I have to disagree with you about Sonic. Look, fat loads annoy me too but Sonic is not the only place feeding these whales. You've got McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Ben, Krispy Kreme, Jerry, and lots of others. Sonic is hardly the #1 reason. Anyway, when I see a lard butt walking or scootering down the street, I have to assume they are mostly to blame for their own predicament. I don't mean everyone, just most. They may be scootering to Sonic, but there are skinny people walking in the door too. It's called discipline.

I know as a woman you may have a different perspective and I can respect that but don't blame Sonic, just lay off the Cinna snacks.

Crayonz,

If my penis had a brain, it would be offended you called it a vagina.

Naw really, it's the drive through also. Like rows and rows of them. In the cold and rain a 16 yr old mexican teenager bring a bag of something that resembles food outside to an SUV of obese whales with knee problems who are busy watching DVD's in their dashboard. Don't you love America?

Crayonz,

If my penis had a brain, it would be offended you called it a vagina.

Naw really, it's the drive through also. Like rows and rows of them. In the cold and rain a 16 yr old mexican teenager bring a bag of something that resembles food outside to an SUV of obese whales with knee problems who are busy watching DVD's in their dashboard. Don't you love America?

You're a dude? In your post you referred to your pocket book. Are you Tom Brady?

The only people to blame in this are her lawyers. They flat out blew it.

Their lawyer should have tried for alot more. There's no way even the amount she did get would have lasted the rest of her life with the care she needs.

And the other article...

The Bracys said Wal-Mart's gun department could have checked Wal-Mart's own security files or the pharmacy department's prescription records before selling her the weapon.

Ever hear of HIPAA?

blzrul doesn't go to Walmart- she sends her cleaning lady.

It was my mother's cleaning lady, dumbass. There is NO-ONE who cleans up to my standards. So I do it myself. Always have and always will. Besides, that gives me more money to spend on football tickets and bling...and I got plenty of both.

Not sure if this will take you directly there (CNN Videos) but if not find your way there and watch the one about Wal-Mart suing this lady.

Granted, they have a legal right to do so. But "right" and "what's right" are two different things.

And the really frustrating thing is that these are the sort of good people who probably (until now) spent a good portion of their income at Wal-Mart.

This sort of thing just tears at my heart. I guess because my brother has been through a similar hell...and you won't find a guy who works harder to take care of his family. It's for people like this that we need some sort of control on access to reasonable healthcare ... in America, people should be able to get help BEFORE they become destitute...to keep them from getting there.

You anti-Walmarters are a riot. Almost any insurance policy will have clauses that require reimbursement if you recieve payment from a guilty party for the damages incurred. If you get a payment for a stolen car and then get your car back do you get to keep the insurance $ and your car? The victim sued for medical expenses that were paid by the insurance company. She should have sued for more $ if her medical needs were not being met. It is extremely unfortunate that she is now in need of services that she cannot afford, but your anger should be directed at the person or company responsible for her condition.

I saw a great episode of Penn and Teller Bullsh!t on Wal-Mart haters. The series is well done and amusing.

It was my mother's cleaning lady, dumbass. There is NO-ONE who cleans up to my standards. So I do it myself. Always have and always will. Besides, that gives me more money to spend on football tickets and bling...and I got plenty of both.

That's how we are too. We've fired more cleaning companies over the past couple of years. It takes a couple hours out of our time but it's well worth it. Oh, and I don't buy bling with the savings. I buy $12 plates of french fries at the St Regis.

I believe this is the story she is referring too.

Yes, it is a terribly sad story.....BUT....Wal Mart's position is far from unreasonable. As the article discusses, this is a standard clause in health care plans and in aggregate represents real money in the health care system.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be some sort of accommodation beyond what someone in Mrs. Shank's situation typically receives, but there is a larger issue here than just 'Wal-Mart BAD!"

Ya... True. But, if the husband had to divorce to get Mediwhatever from the feds... Isn't this an issue? Some how the gov't in the end is taking a hit? Kinda like the Tenn Wal-Mart thing where the company actually encourages workers to seek gov't assistance because they won't pay better wages?

This "race to the bottom" affects us all...

I hate wal-mart. I boycotted them for like 2-3 years. then i realized that i was only hurting my own pocket book.. because no one else was boycotting them.

I also think Sonic is another example of whats wrong with this country.

Damn! That is the last time that hedgehog gets the best of my son in a video game! Pure evil I say!

:):nana: