Wal-Mart - a reflection of what's wrong in this country

Not sure if this will take you directly there (CNN Videos) but if not find your way there and watch the one about Wal-Mart suing this lady.

Granted, they have a legal right to do so. But "right" and "what's right" are two different things.

And the really frustrating thing is that these are the sort of good people who probably (until now) spent a good portion of their income at Wal-Mart.

This sort of thing just tears at my heart. I guess because my brother has been through a similar hell...and you won't find a guy who works harder to take care of his family. It's for people like this that we need some sort of control on access to reasonable healthcare ... in America, people should be able to get help BEFORE they become destitute...to keep them from getting there.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link no work.

Though, if Wal-Mart wants to file frivolous lawsuits against people, I think it's only fair...considering all the frivolous bull sh-- that gets filed against them. The problem, as you say, isn't Wal-Mart, it's the overly-litiginous society.

Though, if Wal-Mart wants to file frivolous lawsuits against people, I think it's only fair...considering all the frivolous bull sh-- that gets filed against them. The problem, as you say, isn't Wal-Mart, it's the overly-litiginous society.

Which, from what I've read, the system actually does a pretty decent job of weeding cases out.

Not sure if this will take you directly there (CNN Videos) but if not find your way there and watch the one about Wal-Mart suing this lady.

Granted, they have a legal right to do so. But "right" and "what's right" are two different things.

And the really frustrating thing is that these are the sort of good people who probably (until now) spent a good portion of their income at Wal-Mart.

This sort of thing just tears at my heart. I guess because my brother has been through a similar hell...and you won't find a guy who works harder to take care of his family. It's for people like this that we need some sort of control on access to reasonable healthcare ... in America, people should be able to get help BEFORE they become destitute...to keep them from getting there.

Debbie, I can't get you link for whatever reason, but here's one for you.

You surely think that I am a right wing loonie, but I am totally anti-Walmart, to the point that I would actually join a picket line against them if it was union-organized.

Debbie, I can't get you link for whatever reason, but here's one for you.

You surely think that I am a right wing loonie, but I am totally anti-Walmart, to the point that I would actually join a picket line against them if it was union-organized.

Pepper spray accidentally discharged by Wal-Mart employees equal evil empire? <_<

Link no work.

You mean like this one?

Yea CNN makes it hard to grab the links of the videos (without watching the commercials).

The point is that per the clause in the healthcare contract (which she paid into) Wal-Mart can legally recoup expenses if there is a settlement. And there was. But this is a relatively young woman who's in a nursing home, and will be forever. She got a $400k+ settlement (after legal fees) and WalMart wants ALL of it, plus MORE. Her husband had to divorce her so Medicaid could pay more...he's working two jobs...his older son was killed in Iraq serving his country....and this guy is going to lose everything.

Surely if Wallyworld wanted to show some compassion for its employee it could start a fund if it didn't want to set a "dangerous precedent".

I shop at Costco.

Yea CNN makes it hard to grab the links of the videos (without watching the commercials).

The point is that per the clause in the healthcare contract (which she paid into) Wal-Mart can legally recoup expenses if there is a settlement. And there was. But this is a relatively young woman who's in a nursing home, and will be forever. She got a $400k+ settlement (after legal fees) and WalMart wants ALL of it, plus MORE. Her husband had to divorce her so Medicaid could pay more...he's working two jobs...his older son was killed in Iraq serving his country....and this guy is going to lose everything.

Surely if Wallyworld wanted to show some compassion for its employee it could start a fund if it didn't want to set a "dangerous precedent".

I shop at Costco.

Yet, two courts have already sided with WalMart on this case, so the issue is obviously deeper than a 15 second snippet.

You mean like this one?

The Bracys said Wal-Mart's gun department could have checked Wal-Mart's own security files or the pharmacy department's prescription records before selling her the weapon.

Because all stores are supposed to share all information about all customers immediately upon acuqiring said information. Wal-Mart isn't just the Evil Empire, they're a hive-mind. They're the freakin' Borg. <_<

"Does that mean mental illness prevents everyone on Prozac from owning a gun? Or women with PMS?"

Yes, PMS and bipolar disorder are neurochemically similar...but oh, man is someone in trouble for that statement. <_<

Yet, two courts have already sided with WalMart on this case, so the issue is obviously deeper than a 15 second snippet.

As I stated in my post, and as it's stated in the "15 second" snippet, the healthcare policy contains a clause that they can recoup their money. Hence the courts are correct.

But that doesn't mitigate what a !@#$ing unconscionable POS WalMart is. It's one of those things that drives you nuts - it feeds off the very people that it totally screws over. And most of them have no clue, poor things. They really think it's just a store.

Pepper spray accidentally discharged by Wal-Mart employees equal evil empire? <_<

This from an evil empire that also doesn't sell any kind of knives or even darts in their Massachusetts stores' sporting departments, as I was told by an employee a couple of months ago.

I didn't check in hardware to see if hammers and screwdrivers had been similarly banned.

One positive thing WalMart and Sam's Club do, tho, is the $4 prescriptions for common Rx's. I hear that they're starting programs that will put small medical clinics in stores for minor conditions. Theoretically, it will a) reduce cases that clog up doctor's offices, esp. wrt doctor shortage and 2) it won't cost $100+ net (whether you or your insurance pays for it, in the macroeconomic view, it still costs $100) for a 2-minute office visit to get an amoxicillin Rx, etc. III) As a result of the previous point, people who otherwise can't afford to might get earlier treatment, rather than waiting for minor conditions that could be treated easily to get grossly worse before they get help.

It's a pretty bold experiment that could do a lot of good... brought to you by those evil corporate capitalist pigs. <_<

Link no work.

I believe this is the story she is referring too.

Yes, it is a terribly sad story.....BUT....Wal Mart's position is far from unreasonable. As the article discusses, this is a standard clause in health care plans and in aggregate represents real money in the health care system.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be some sort of accommodation beyond what someone in Mrs. Shank's situation typically receives, but there is a larger issue here than just 'Wal-Mart BAD!"

As I stated in my post, and as it's stated in the "15 second" snippet, the healthcare policy contains a clause that they can recoup their money. Hence the courts are correct.

But that doesn't mitigate what a !@#$ing unconscionable POS WalMart is. It's one of those things that drives you nuts - it feeds off the very people that it totally screws over. And most of them have no clue, poor things. They really think it's just a store.

Of course, you could just as easily flip it upside-down and say "What !@#$ing unconscionable pieces of sh-- that family must be. They knew under the terms of the healthcare contract they'd have to reimburse Wal-Mart, and they're trying to keep the money. That's breach of contract and theft. They also didn't identify all the interested parties before they brought the suit on, which makes them and - especially - their attorneys idiots.

I'm no fan of Wal-Mart (hate 'em, in fact. Try to avoid setting foot in them whenever possible. "Slap a Wal-Mart Greeter" is my motto.) But there's two sides to every story..

I believe this is the story she is referring too.

Yes, it is a terribly sad story.....BUT....Wal Mart's position is far from unreasonable. As the article discusses, this is a standard clause in health care plans and in aggregate represents real money in the health care system.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be some sort of accommodation beyond what someone in Mrs. Shank's situation typically receives, but there is a larger issue here than just 'Wal-Mart BAD!"

The ruling came six days before the Shanks' 18-year-old son, Jeremy, was killed in September last year in Iraq shortly after he arrived in the U.S. Army's 25th Infantry Division.

Did I miss the part where this has ANYTHING to do with the lady's injury, health care, or Wal-Mart's suit?

Nice, unbiased reporting. No slant here. <_<

Yes, WalMart is PoS, because they need to take care of one employee, instead of looking out for the best for all of its employees. WalMart paid the claims upfront and is seeking reimbursement of the settlement from the driver & the trucking company.

It doesn't play nice on TV, but they have a bigger responsibility to the rest of the employees.

Sharon Weber, a spokeswoman for Wal-Mart, declined to discuss the details of the Shanks' case, but said the company was obliged to act in the interest of the health benefits of its employees as a whole. "While the case involves a tragic situation, our responsibility is to follow the provisions of the [company health] plan which governs the health benefits of our associates," she said.

"Employers are trying to make sure these plans run as efficiently as possible," says Jay Kirschbaum, a senior vice president at global insurance broker Willis Group Holdings. "They also have a fiduciary duty to the plan and the entire group of employees that are covered by it."

I agree with Tom on this. The only people to blame in this are her lawyers. They flat out blew it.

That's not actually what I said...but you're right. As it is, the family got such a poor settlement that their award doesn't even cover their liabilities. Would it have been hard to do just a little bit of due diligence to see if her health insurance had any sort of claim? <_< Pick up the phone, call someone at Wal-Mart HQ, and say "We're going after the trucking company for this...anything we should know?"

That's not actually what I said...but you're right. As it is, the family got such a poor settlement that their award doesn't even cover their liabilities. Would it have been hard to do just a little bit of due diligence to see if her health insurance had any sort of claim? <_< Pick up the phone, call someone at Wal-Mart HQ, and say "We're going after the trucking company for this...anything we should know?"

Well the fact that you called them idiots..........