Wal-Mart - a reflection of what's wrong in this country

Actually, immediately after I posted I realized it's a chickenhawk.

But "War Chicken" was just too damned good to delete.

War Chicken...wasn't that a song by Black Sabbath?

BTW I wonder how many people who have money in a 401k rejoice when the value goes up and the reason it went up is because Wal-Mart had a great earnings report.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW I wonder how many people who have money in a 401k rejoice when the value goes up and the reason it went up is because Wal-Mart had a great earnings report.

or Exxon earned a record amount of money.

Good point. Much of my 401K is in index funds, which benefit (and take hits) from Phlllip Morris and Wal-Mart.

One of many reasons I commend New York City is that there are NO Wal-Marts there (I heard they were planning on building one in Rego Park, Queens...not sure if this is accurate or not, but I hope it stays that way)...keep small businesses vibrant in NYC!

One of many reasons I commend New York City is that there are NO Wal-Marts there (I heard they were planning on building one in Rego Park, Queens...not sure if this is accurate or not, but I hope it stays that way)...keep small businesses vibrant in NYC!

Don't you think it's up to the customers to decide whether they patronize a business or not? There's a full range of people here expressing their dislike of WalMart and they're within their right to choose another store. It's quite a different matter when a group of people (I'll generalize - from Manhattan) who never set foot into a WalMart dictate that decision to people in Queens or Bronx who may actually benefit from having a WalMart.

You can bash Wal-Mart without bashing capitalism. I try to shop with a conscience and therefore don't shop at Wal-Mart. If you and rtconner want to shop there, feel free to do so.

Hmmm...you might have it backwards (not to mention an over-inflated view of yourself :unsure: ). Perhaps people who shop with a conscience are those that frequent a Walmart...

Walmart: Tool of Satan -or- Doing the Lord's work?

Meanwhile, Wal-Mart trucks pre-loaded with emergency supplies at regional depots were among the first on the scene wherever refugees were being gathered by officialdom. Their main challenge, in many cases, was running a gauntlet of FEMA officials who didn't want to let them through. As the president of the brutalized Jefferson Parish put it in a Sept. 4 Meet the Press interview, speaking at the height of nationwide despair over FEMA's confused response: "If [the U.S.] government would have responded like Wal-Mart has responded, we wouldn't be in this crisis."

Hmmm...you might have it backwards (not to mention an over-inflated view of yourself :unsure: ). Perhaps people who shop with a conscience are those that frequent a Walmart...

Walmart: Tool of Satan -or- Doing the Lord's work?

Phillip Morris gives millions to charity too.

you might have it backwards (not to mention an over-inflated view of yourself :blink:

Where are my defenders?

There was a show on I think MSNBC this week that looked at the success of Wal-Mart. Within an hour of you buying an item, it is registered in the ordering system so that the store won't run low on the item. Using past data, they found that for some reason, people buy a lot of strawberry PopTarts after a hurricane. The article also didn't mention that FEMA can't act until the governor asks, which that idiot that was defeated last year, didn't for several days.

I blame the wetbacks. If they made more money and there wasn't so many they'd have more money to shop at Macys and Target.

Ok then, I blame wetback dirty Jew lawyers like Geraldo Rivera who work for Wal-Mart which buys crap from the Chinks. Now wal-mart has a face it's easier to HATE. Hate makes me feel powerful and better than you.

Didn't read all of the posts so sorry if this has already been covered;

Walmart Relents

I'm willing to bet that if this hadn't received national attention that they would still be pursuing the money. I also can't believe they only got $1 million from the trucking company. With all the frivolous lawsuits that get huge rewards this seems to require more. This woman will need care for about 40 years and $400,000 won't cover it.