Gas Prices

Hawk

I commute back and forth to Rochester every day. I use about a 1/2 tank a day. (140 miles round trip) I have an older vehicle, but it's in top running order. (Son's a Mechanic). The price I pay a week is starting to back me up on other bills. I may have a chance to return to the buffalo office, but until then, OUCH!! :wallbash:;)

I commute back and forth to Rochester every day. I use about a 1/2 tank a day. (140 miles round trip) I have an older vehicle, but it's in top running order. (Son's a Mechanic). The price I pay a week is starting to back me up on other bills. I may have a chance to return to the buffalo office, but until then, OUCH!! :wallbash:;)

From what I understand we are about .40 cheaper per gallon down here in southern Alabama then you are up there. Before I moved down here I lived in Hornell and drove to Elmira everyday 120 round trip. I traded in my truck for a Chevy Cavalier and spent in a week what I would have in a day. Even with the payment on the car it was still cheaper by 150.00 per month. Look into a cheaper beater car that your son can make tip top and you may get some relief in there before its all over. Talked to some family the other day who says that gas prices are supposed to be at 4.00 per gallon by summer. that hurts.

gas in the city is about $3.39 for regular. i drove 15 miles out of the city yesterday to get the high octane (93) at the same $3.39 price. its not so much a cost thing, ill sacrifice one gallon to be able to fill up with premium for the same cost.

im also in the lucky 2% of Atlantans (Atlantians? Atliens?) that have both home and work conveniently on the MARTA line. so i can take the 15 minute train ride and 10 minutes of total walking to and from work. i try to do that at least twice a week.

3.15 here in East Tennessee. I sold my truck a couple months ago and bought a 92 Pontiac Grand Prix that runs like new and very nice on gas, if there is such a thing these days. Vehicles last way longer down south plus it only had about 23,000 miles on it. Even if I can afford it I don't plan on buying anything new until we go to an alternate source of fuel.

It's $3.13 on the S Side of Richmond VA.

Last friday I had to drive to DC. Checked GasBuddy.com before I left and noticed that Costco, up at Potomac Mills Mall, S of DC, was $3.06. Took a chance on a little over 1/4 tank, and made it, where I filled up. That's something I would never have done in the past. So I ended up saving betwenn $1 and $2 on the tank BUT that's $1 or $2 those scum suckers at the oil company didn't get...till Next time! <_<

Guest dog14787

Of all the problems with this Country right now, the cost of transportation is one of the worst. The price of gas has a bad effect on our economy. Events and vacation spots suffer the most. I'm about 100 miles from the Ralph so you just tacked on $30 some odd bucks to get there and back. When the price of gas is canceling hunting trips and fishing trips football games or just going on a long vacation with the family, then everyone suffers.

Something should be done about it even if it means everyone and I mean everyone, boycotts the pumps and puts the whole country at a stand still. 0:)

The oil companies get richer while it bleeds us dry? It has to stop and we haven't even touched on what it cost to heat a house with natural gas nowadays <_<

Like the vast majority of Americans, gas prices are not affecting me enough to change my behavior.

As of the latest data I found, 77% of people who still drive to work alone everyday. Everyone has a good excuse for why carpooling or mass transit doesn't work for them, but as long as no one is willing to sacrifice convenience and continue to push demand higher, they shouldn't be too surprised when prices continue to rise.

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/re...acs/010230.html

Guest dog14787
Like the vast majority of Americans, gas prices are not affecting me enough to change my behavior.

As of the latest data I found, 77% of people who still drive to work alone everyday. Everyone has a good excuse for why carpooling or mass transit doesn't work for them, but as long as no one is willing to sacrifice convenience and continue to push demand higher, they shouldn't be too surprised when prices continue to rise.

Vast majority of Americans, says who? maybe that 77% corresponds with the amount of people who can't car pool because they don't work at a factory where you have many available options on people who travel the same route. What if you need to stop at the bank or grocery store on the way home, or pick up one of your children? No, this car pooling survey doesn't tell me people haven't had to adjust ( make sacrafices) to rising gas prices.

I get what your saying though, why drop the price with an increase in demand, its a no win situation until the goverment steps in and says enough is enough.

When I travel on the 219 or 90 or 290 I go 55- 60 mph, which gives me 29 miles per gallon in my Intrepid. I must be the only one that goes the speed limit. Traffic flies by me so I guess there must be a lot of high paying jobs in Erie County as gas here is $3.39.

Want to scare yourself silly? Read up about Peak Oil. Fact is, we are highly dependant on "cheap oil". Our entire economy and lifestyles are based on it, and without it, say goodbye to rampant consumerism and the spread of suburbia.

OTOH, I fully believe in the ingenuity of humans to come up with alternatives which will make the transitionary phases easier to bear, but things will be much different in your grandchildren's time than now...

I am afraid it is not as easy as some people say to carpool. In order to go to work by bus I'd have to take 3 different buses from two different systems paying twice to go less than 10 miles running a route all over area and the buses only run during overtime. My employer's client does not make it easy to commute by metro for they will not allow buses on property for 'security' concerns since 9/11.

Nobody at work coming from my direction currently works same hours I do so carpooling is not an option although I used to when I had a friend/coworker renting a week.

I guess you are saying I should take a job which is inside beltway just to make commuting easier. Companies are not going to change work schedules to make it easier to carpool.

My wife and I combine trips to save gas doing shopping, bank runs and deliveries at same time. It affects us most on decisions on vacation - cost of gas is decreasing chance of any trips by car and the raising of airfare due to gas prices decreases interest in flying.

It hasn't affected me really at all. I'm making more money this year so my gas cost as a percentage of my income is less than ever before. But I feel for people who have not had an increase. Unfortunately here in SoCal there's not much you can do, especially in Orange county. Poor public transportation. Everyone drives in different directions so carpooling is difficult. As a matter of fact many people's is the only alone time they have so carpooling is way down the list.

Why is everyone up set about gas prices ?

If you you use 25 gallons a week and the price is up $1 dollar, it is only $25 more per week .Most people waste more than that on crap .I blow more on Lotto and scratch offs (and wine ) than $25 . Do we all have to have a cell phone , cable TV , or cell phone and a land line . How many people have a lawn service or some chem lawn service ? How many go out to eat 2 or 3 times a week ? How many have to have a new car ? how many people pay big $ for Road runner or some othe internet service ? How many people have to have that big house ? How big was the house that your parents had or grand parents had ? why is it a must to have a 2500 sq ft house or a 3500 sq ft house ?

WHY ??? is it that we have to have so much ???????

$3.39. I heard the prices around Memorial Day weekend will get over $4 gallon. <_<

Why don't the gas companies donate some of their profits from these high gas prices to the homeless or some one who needs it? I know it will never happen but still.

Guest dog14787

If you you use 25 gallons a week and the price is up $1 dollar, it is only $25 more per week .Most people waste more than that on crap .I blow more on Lotto and scratch offs (and wine ) than $25 . Do we all have to have a cell phone , cable TV , or cell phone and a land line . How many people have a lawn service or some chem lawn service ? How many go out to eat 2 or 3 times a week ? How many have to have a new car ? how many people pay big $ for Road runner or some othe internet service ? How many people have to have that big house ? How big was the house that your parents had or grand parents had ? why is it a must to have a 2500 sq ft house or a 3500 sq ft house ?

Are you making a point here because I fail to see it. <_<

I see the point! And you're right. Gas is the easiest thing to complain about, and yet we are paying the cheapest prices in the world.

I love all the bitching about it because I'm in the solar industry...And it's coming...Trust me....If you have expendible income, invest in solar. It is inevitable. I'm not necessarily talking about cars, just energy in general. Look back at this post in 10 years and feel thankful, or sorry...One or the other...

I see the point! And you're right. Gas is the easiest thing to complain about, and yet we are paying the cheapest prices in the world.

I love all the bitching about it because I'm in the solar industry...And it's coming...Trust me....If you have expendible income, invest in solar. It is inevitable. I'm not necessarily talking about cars, just energy in general. Look back at this post in 10 years and feel thankful, or sorry...One or the other...

Not quite true. When I went to Iraq, we had to go to Kuwait for some financial stuff first. We rented a car and were paying 24 cents a litre. You do the math, it's not very much..... <_<

Guest dog14787
I think he is asking why people complain about gas prices so much, yet are so willing to spend the same amount or more money on things they don't need.

So in other words, its alright for you to rip me off because I waste money on luxuries anyway, thats real logical.

They aren't if you don't count spending elsewhere... There is a lot of BS in the budget that can be cut out if needed.

If you need to get to work... What is more inportant? That Big Mac/movie, etc... or getting to work.

Just eliminate non-essentials like cable and cell phone too.

Sure they are high... You want them to be lower so people can throw things down other avenues... Maybe?

There is a credit crunch... I am more surprised people just don't walk away from their unsecured debt and default... Oh, wait... Maybe that is happening...

<_<0:)

Exactly!!

Guest dog14787
Exactly!!

and how many people don't have everything he mentioned?

Exactly what? Lots of money but lacking brains , good grief <_<

and how many people don't have everything he mentioned?

Exactly what? Lots of money but lacking brains , good grief <_<

Dream on... There are some that can't cut that out of the budget... How do illegals "do it" when they come to this country? And still manage to send money home?

Answer: They don't have the extraneous items in the budget.

Wake-up: go to work

Work

Go home

Do it it again.

I am not saying that is any fun... But, people screaming about gas prices when they have a new TV or computer?

Gas prices will get to be bad when I can't cut things out of the budget and still not make it.

It is all about priorities.

Think about it... My family made 5k (if that) a year growing up... Cars got about 15-19 MPG and gas the cheapest I can remember was about 52 cents a gallon... That wasn't min wage either? What was min wage in NYS in around 1972? A buck 50?

Gas prices are still up of course.

I joined a vanpool at the begining of this year going from the Peachtree City area of Atlanta to Marietta (90 miles round trip). It probably saves me around $400 a month in gas, but I'm now spending that on hookers and blow. But don't worry, I also cut back on premium cable channels.

I joined a vanpool at the begining of this year going from the Peachtree City area of Atlanta to Marietta (90 miles round trip). It probably saves me around $400 a month in gas, but I'm now spending that on hookers and blow. But don't worry, I also cut back on premium cable channels.

90 miles round trip... Almost 50 one way! And I though my 15 one way was bad! YIKES...

I like rolling out of bed at 1/4 after to get to work on the hour!

<_<0:)

Because the media and the liberals like to bash Bush and big companies. Gas prices is an easy way to blame the Admin and Exxon for all America's mismanagement of money.

Personally it doesn't affect me a lot. My wife got a new car last year and went from about 22 mpg to about 32 in the new car. She drives about 20 miles to work so gas costs are similar. Me, I drive all of about 5 miles round trip each day. I fill up with my running around golf, kid activity, etc..) about every 2 weeks. So we spend maybe an extra 30-40 dollars from a year ago.

I fill the tank about twice every three months. I'm spending maybe about $40 extra a year. Which, in 2003 terms, is probably only about $20, what with how the dollar's fallen since then. And then I'm only spending about $15 of that on gas, the rest I spend on ethanol.

Really, food prices are probably hurting most people more - since we're now putting corn in our gas tanks, the cost of everything that contains or requires corn (i.e. everything) has shot up. We spend maybe $1000/year more on food now than we did three years ago.