Ok, I can purchase the failed drive for $200 + shipping...

SDS

My initial reaction was, "Are you nuts?" I think it would be nice to have for Lori's stuff and any of the contest/fantasy stuff that might be lost. But, for posts, and post counts, etc...the hell with it. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

My suggestion would be to use the money to buy some BACKUP capability, ya mook.

Ditto that. (And to clear things up a bit, I do still have the Word files for those previews, so I can always reload them into the archive if I want to...)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say don't bother.

-Post counts are meaningless.

-If I want information from someone that I received in PM, I can just PM them again.

-If someone wants to re-register, there is nothing stopping them (assuming you have had the opportunity to fix the issues we discussed previously).

-Why would we want to re-live the JP vs. TE debate again. :pirate:

Life goes on. No need to live in the past.

What he said.

I'd like to spare the world a year's worth of my posts.

if it is important to most of the members i'd kick in to regain all the old stuff,but to me personally it is not worth it.post counts and old stuff dosnt matter unless someone is trying to prove they said something a while back in a argument.i remember donating the last time you asked with pay pal so no big deal......................go bills!

By reading the posts I guess I'm doing nothing more than piling on, but instead of spending $200 on retrieving data, maybe funds should be raised to set up some kind of back-up thingy.

Doing so would be less about saving PMs, posts, and post counts, and more about retaining your sanity when a crash happens down the road.

Or you could just send the $200 to me. I'd be o'kay with that.

When you think about it, there are essentially only 5 different threads on here that recycle under different names anyway:

1- Why do we suck (assigning blame to the FO and HC)?

2- When are we gonna be good again?

3- I like to play GM, let's sign (ridiculous trade idea or FA signing)

4- A saw a famous person today (that makes me cool by association).

5- How long til our misery as fans is exceeded only by our misery as ex-fans when the team moves to Toronto.

I have saved you $200 and recovered 90% of all posts with this response. You are all welcome.

then pay for a data recovery service. What would that get us?

Tha chance of recovering:

1 year's worth of article links

PM's

Old registrations

Posts up to 3/13/08

We would lose:

everything that has happened on the board from 3/13 to the day the old data gets reinserted. Unless I installed an archive board for reference.

The question I have for everyone is if it is worth it?

The only thing worth doing is trying to make your life easier when this happens again.

The biggest reason to have old posts on hand are so you can look at somebody's previous posts if there is a debate going on. It comes in handy to catch someone flip-flopping or just plain lies. There have been some pretty good zingers going back and forth, and someone's history can prove vital. I was pretty sure I was talking to the same person yesterday that I warned over a month ago that some huge banks were going to fail, only to be scoffed at....but he denied that he was the one who said it. I had no proof, so I said I'm sorry and let it go. Is integrity of the board worth $200....probably not.

The biggest reason to have old posts on hand are so you can look at somebody's previous posts if there is a debate going on. It comes in handy to catch someone flip-flopping or just plain lies. There have been some pretty good zingers going back and forth, and someone's history can prove vital. I was pretty sure I was talking to the same person yesterday that I warned over a month ago that some huge banks were going to fail, only to be scoffed at....but he denied that he was the one who said it. I had no proof, so I said I'm sorry and let it go. Is integrity of the board worth $200....probably not.

Integrity?

Welcome to The Stadium Wall. Perhaps you should check in at the New Member Forum. :censored:

The motto of my Fantasy Football league is, "Nolo Integre". I think we would consider lending it to TSW, if ever needed. :thumbsup:

I believe, lost in the crash, was some 400 pages of me and Holcomb's Arm arguing about math. And dinosaurs.

Good freakin' riddance. You should be asking people to pay you NOT to restore that.

:doh:

Good point...

I was just quoted $500-$2400 depending on the amount of data they recovered. There are only two directories I need... with a total 1.5 GB of data... There are a couple of reasons I would like it back that extend beyond message board posts (basically a site redesign that was almost finished....)

Does anyone know if a drive formatted for linux can be mounted in a Windows or Mac machine?

There's an old tech trick that I used a few times with failed drives to get data off them. Freeze them overnight. Then quickly throw them in a machine and get as much off as you can. I've even gone so far as placing the drive in a plastic bag and submerging it in an ice bath to keep it going long enough to get the data off.