Ok, I can purchase the failed drive for $200 + shipping...

SDS

I was just quoted $500-$2400 depending on the amount of data they recovered. There are only two directories I need... with a total 1.5 GB of data... There are a couple of reasons I would like it back that extend beyond message board posts (basically a site redesign that was almost finished....)

Does anyone know if a drive formatted for linux can be mounted in a Windows or Mac machine?

Okay, if it's not just for posts and such, that definitely changes my answer.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an old tech trick that I used a few times with failed drives to get data off them. Freeze them overnight. Then quickly throw them in a machine and get as much off as you can. I've even gone so far as placing the drive in a plastic bag and submerging it in an ice bath to keep it going long enough to get the data off.

It works quite well, actually. I have frozen them in wrapped in bubble wrap before and had good results.

I was just quoted $500-$2400 depending on the amount of data they recovered. There are only two directories I need... with a total 1.5 GB of data... There are a couple of reasons I would like it back that extend beyond message board posts (basically a site redesign that was almost finished....)

Does it mean the effort to recover the data is less than your effort to recreate the site design and such ? If yes, then I am all for saving you work and will pitch in as necessary.

Does it mean the effort to recover the data is less than your effort to recreate the site design and such ? If yes, then I am all for saving you work and will pitch in as necessary.

That was a service where I would send teh drive to them.

As I look more into it, I actually think if I can find a remote data recovery software/service - that is my best bet. Then I wouldn't have to buy the drive. It is current mounted and accessible - it is just one partition that is !@#$ed up. I just need to get the right software/service to help with the extraction.

Any suggestions from the group?

That was a service where I would send teh drive to them.

As I look more into it, I actually think if I can find a remote data recovery software/service - that is my best bet. Then I wouldn't have to buy the drive. It is current mounted and accessible - it is just one partition that is !@#$ed up. I just need to get the right software/service to help with the extraction.

Any suggestions from the group?

I say do what you think is right SDS.

FWIW, I'm going to go ahead and purchase the drive. I'll just need to get someone in Maryland to let me hook it up to their window's box and install some recovery software... unless someone can convince me that making an ext2 partition on my mac and installing linux on it is less painful....

FWIW, I'm going to go ahead and purchase the drive. I'll just need to get someone in Maryland to let me hook it up to their window's box and install some recovery software... unless someone can convince me that making an ext2 partition on my mac and installing linux on it is less painful....

Please PM me your information so I can PayPal some money over.

Does "posts up to 3/13/08" mean that all BiB's stuff is gone? 0:) That would be the ONLY reason I would consider saving the old drive.

Of course, his reaction to that would be to ask what I was wearing when I came up with that stupid idea.... <_<

Does "posts up to 3/13/08" mean that all BiB's stuff is gone? 0:) That would be the ONLY reason I would consider saving the old drive.

Of course, his reaction to that would be to ask what I was wearing when I came up with that stupid idea.... <_<

No, Scott managed to reboot an archived copy from last April, which means we still have access to the written record of Paul's wit and wisdom. (I checked my PMs from him to make sure, and they're there.)

No, Scott managed to reboot an archived copy from last April, which means we still have access to the written record of Paul's wit and wisdom. (I checked my PMs from him to make sure, and they're there.)

Yes that was the first thing I looked for too - I would have been devasted if they were gone. God I miss him.

I thought Mac's OS X is based on unix, so a Mac might be able to read the format. But I would suggest spending the money on a mirror drive or RAID array.

I thought Mac's OS X is based on unix, so a Mac might be able to read the format. But I would suggest spending the money on a mirror drive or RAID array.

and what kind of RAID array do you suggest?

and what kind of RAID array do you suggest?

I'm no expert, but perhaps some Yard Guard on the front lines, to clear a path. The foot troops should have sufficient supply of Wasp and Hornet Killer. Of course, many cans of House and Garden Bug Killer and Ant and Roach Killer should be sprinkled througoht the array.

The best that you can afford. Does the hosting company offer RAID disk arrays ? Ask your hosting company about disk mirroring or RAID technology to avoid these unpleasant problems in the future.

Actually, I seriously didn't want your opinion on this because telling someone to apply $200 towards a solution that could cost almost $175 EVERY month (depending on the number of drives in the RAID) is !@#$ing absurd. I was just hoping you would have said RAID 5, instead of being non-committal, but alas you didn't play along. :)

Actually, I seriously didn't want your opinion on this because telling someone to apply $200 towards a solution that could cost almost $175 EVERY month (depending on the number of drives in the RAID) is !@#$ing absurd. I was just hoping you would have said RAID 5, instead of being non-committal, but alas you didn't play along. :)

Wait.... $175/month for a RAID solution?! THATS !@#$ing absurd.