Ok, I can purchase the failed drive for $200 + shipping...

SDS

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait.... $175/month for a RAID solution?! THATS !@#$ing absurd.

and yes I realize that my late night calculation was incorrect... The point was that I'm always amused when really smart people give me such sage advice such as "spend more money"... I'm glad they take their time out of their day from warning smoker's about their risks of cancer just to help lost souls like myself. :)

and the discussion is moot now anyway. The dbases are backed up nightly now and soon all the site files will be too. The hard drive is already paid for and being shipped to me, so that I can attempt to recover some things that were lost.

and yes I realize that my late night calculation was incorrect... The point was that I'm always amused when really smart people give me such sage advice such as "spend more money"... I'm glad they take their time out of their day from warning smoker's about their risks of cancer just to help lost souls like myself. :lol:

and the discussion is moot now anyway. The dbases are backed up nightly now and soon all the site files will be too. The hard drive is already paid for and being shipped to me, so that I can attempt to recover some things that were lost.

Just as prickly as ever. But if you didn't really want any advice then why ask to start with? You already had your mind made up about what you were going to do!

Just as prickly as ever. But if you didn't really want any advice then why ask to start with? You already had your mind made up about what you were going to do!

the thread is a week old...

I listened to what everyone had to say and weighed that against my own needs and decided it was worth it to me to try and give recovery a shot. The purpose of this thread was only to determine how much the community wanted the old posts/pm's/registrations back - it wasn't intended to be used as a lecturing platform on why I don't spend enough money on hardware.

With that said, I'm very appreciative of how supportive everyone has been as I certainly deserved to be criticized, not praised.

I listened to what everyone had to say and weighed that against my own needs and decided it was worth it to me to try and give recovery a shot. The purpose of this thread was only to determine how much the community wanted the old posts/pm's/registrations back - it wasn't intended to be used as a lecturing platform on why I don't spend enough money on hardware.

With that said, I'm very appreciative of how supportive everyone has been as I certainly deserved to be criticized, not praised.

Wow. People are appreciative that the board exists and the work you do to maintain it; and it's just the nature of the game that ANY sys admin is an arrogant SOB. You're correct; it's amazing that no one has taken you to task that you ignored sys admin rule 101 - BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP. The board has (rightfully) praised you for your work and then you bait and then attack FSD who was only trying to help? Yeah your pride is hurt but no one was bashing you, only trying to help. Chill.

It appears that online disks cost alot a month but saving data and OS infrastructure to an offsite drive (even if it means taking TBD down for a couple of hours periodically) would be affordable and would have saved you a shitload of time and effort. There are plenty of full time sys admins here that could (and I hope are doing offlne) help you set up a reliable BU strategy. No one says that you ask for too much money; it's quite the opposite, they ask if you will take it. Please do so and save us and you alot of angst.

[Flame away or banish this but tell me what part was wrong first.]

Wow. People are appreciative that the board exists and the work you do to maintain it; and it's just the nature of the game that ANY sys admin is an arrogant SOB. You're correct; it's amazing that no one has taken you to task that you ignored sys admin rule 101 - BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP. The board has (rightfully) praised you for your work and then you bait and then attack FSD who was only trying to help? Yeah your pride is hurt but no one was bashing you, only trying to help. Chill.

It appears that online disks cost alot a month but saving data and OS infrastructure to an offsite drive (even if it means taking TBD down for a couple of hours periodically) would be affordable and would have saved you a shitload of time and effort. There are plenty of full time sys admins here that could (and I hope are doing offlne) help you set up a reliable BU strategy. No one says that you ask for too much money; it's quite the opposite, they ask if you will take it. Please do so and save us and you alot of angst.

You shoulda kept your mouth shut and just moved along. DUH! :lol:

You are correct. I did not have a reliable backup strategy, but as I mentioned earlier in this thread - that has already been taken care.

You shoulda kept your mouth shut and just moved along. DUH! :lol:

I actually prefer the venting over someone stating the obvious... The venting is justifiable, stating the obvious is just not helpful.

I'm just like everyone else here - I have a stack of things on my "to do list" a mile long and not enough time to get to it all. I realize what the path to hell is paved in and this time I got bit in the ass. No one was more upset at what happened than me. Trust me on that one.

Thankfully, what was lost was relatively minor compared to what could have happened, but it did force me to make the necessary adjustments. So, that's the lemonade made from these lemons.

I actually prefer the venting over someone stating the obvious... The venting is justifiable, stating the obvious is just not helpful.

I'm just like everyone else here - I have a stack of things on my "to do list" a mile long and not enough time to get to it all. I realize what the path to hell is paved in and this time I got bit in the ass. No one was more upset at what happened than me. Trust me on that one.

Thankfully, what was lost was relatively minor compared to what could have happened, but it did force me to make the necessary adjustments. So, that's the lemonade made from these lemons.

As it should be. Though you might be giving to much credit to some of your posters. Thanks for the board.

the thread is a week old...

You do a good job SDS ! You deserve kudos not grief.