Wearing a hat during the National Anthem

OnTheRocks

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. You've got to make people show respect. Whenever I meet someone for the first time, I always shake their hand. If they don't put their hand out to shake, I dislocate their arm, knock them on the floor, grab their hand and give it a firm shake. It always feels good to get respected with a handshake, voluntary or not. I guess I am just old school.

coffee on the screen

Yeah. You've got to make people show respect. Whenever I meet someone for the first time, I always shake their hand. If they don't put their hand out to shake, I dislocate their arm, knock them on the floor, grab their hand and give it a firm shake. It always feels good to get respected with a handshake, voluntary or not. I guess I am just old school.

Clearly you were raised properly.

:beer:

I agree 100%..one time in a restaurant, I saw a guy not pull out his chair for his wife..I lost it..I went over there, and slammed the guys head into the table and threw him out the front door...

:beer:

Well played...

To answer the original question, I always remove my hat during the National Anthem. If someone I'm with doesn't, I say "Take your hat off." That's where it ends. If someone I don't know is wearing a hat, that's his business. There is no point in ineffectively attempting to align every stranger's moral compass with your own.

I agree 100%..one time in a restaurant, I saw a guy not pull out his chair for his wife..I lost it..I went over there, and slammed the guys head into the table and threw him out the front door...

That reminds me off the time I was in the bathroom at my local Barnes and Noble.

Some dude came out of the stall after taking a dump and proceeded to walk by me at the sink and headed straight for the door.

He was halfway out the door when I proceeded to put him in a headlock and dragged him back into the bathroom.

I shoved his face into the porcelin sink, told the bastard to wash his freakin hands before I snap his mother-----ing neck.

Needless to say he followed my instructions and this is one lesson in "respect" or "duty" that he will hopefully never forget.

That reminds me off the time I was in the bathroom at my local Barnes and Noble.

Some dude came out of the stall after taking a dump and proceeded to walk by me at the sink and headed straight for the door.

He was halfway out the door when I proceeded to put him in a headlock and dragged him back into the bathroom.

I shoved his face into the porcelin sink, told the bastard to wash his freakin hands before I snap his mother-----ing neck.

Needless to say he followed my instructions and this is one lesson in "respect" or "duty" that he will hopefully never forget.

I bet you he will never do it again...reminded me of another time I needed to make somone understand....I was at BJ's a few weeks ago and this guy left his shopping cart by his car and DID NOT put in the cart corral....well I f'n lost it.. I grabbed th cart and rammed this guys car until he got out...when he got out I grabbed him by the back of his shirt and slammed him into the cart...after unleashing a flurry of haymakers on this toss bag, I took him and the cart and pushed it out into traffic....did I feel bad when he was hit by a UPS truck? F no!! You have to teach people that you MUST return the cart to the cart corral...

I bet you he will never do it again...reminded me of another time I needed to make somone understand....I was at BJ's a few weeks ago and this guy left his shopping cart by his car and DID NOT put in the cart corral....well I f'n lost it.. I grabbed th cart and rammed this guys car until he got out...when he got out I grabbed him by the back of his shirt and slammed him into the cart...after unleashing a flurry of haymakers on this toss bag, I took him and the cart and pushed it out into traffic....did I feel bad when he was hit by a UPS truck? F no!! You have to teach people that you MUST return the cart to the cart corral...

I think Stojan is still looking for you...

Even though this question lost a lot of seriousness a while back ... I bring up the counter point --

Most cultures, i.e. besides western (european & american), consider it a sign of respect to cover the head, not remove the covering. I find this interesting because we remove our hat to sing the anthem, go to church, etc, but in the Jewish tradition (on which the Christian western culture is originally based) you place a covering on your head to enter worship, or engage in official business with political and religious authorities. As a pastor, I still ask the teens in the youth group to remove their hats when we pray, but how important is the hat vs. the importance of the heart within?

Here's a story from a year or two ago. At the Bills game, anthem going, 3 young guys next to me refuse to stand, just sit there. Well right after the anthem, the usher comes over because they are in the wrong seats, they should be one section over. As they go by me, the last guy goes by, I gave him a hard push in the back and he stumbles over the next 2 seats. I'm yelling to "next time stand for the anthem MF's". You should have seen all the support I got then from the locals around my seats. I had 3 beers bought for me during that game :beer:

But I also wouldn't recommend any one do that. It was stupid and I got have easily ended up on the bad end of that altercation

Here's a story from a year or two ago. At the Bills game, anthem going, 3 young guys next to me refuse to stand, just sit there. Well right after the anthem, the usher comes over because they are in the wrong seats, they should be one section over. As they go by me, the last guy goes by, I gave him a hard push in the back and he stumbles over the next 2 seats. I'm yelling to "next time stand for the anthem MF's". You should have seen all the support I got then from the locals around my seats. I had 3 beers bought for me during that game :beer:

But I also wouldn't recommend any one do that. It was stupid and I got have easily ended up on the bad end of that altercation

please dont ever go to another Bills game again.

I'm glad so many morons idea of respecting the anthem (and by way of proxy, American values) is to think that it's ok to force someone to do something. If you want to respect what people have died for, try respecting people's rights to freedom of speech and expression. Apparently the irony is completely lost on you dolts.

I seriously hope one of you in the "I'll take it off for you" crowd gets your !@#$ing nose broken if you ever were to try it. Oh, but wait, it will probably never happen since I'm willing to bet you guys talk a lot of sh*t, but don't actually have the balls to back it up.

Reminds of the last time I was at Buckingham Palace. I asked the Queen where the bathroom was and she got all upset..I dragged her into the dining room, took a dump in her soup bowl, and stuck her head into it. I said "Next time someone asks you where the bathroom is, honey...don't act so friggin arrogant...AND STAND FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM, DAMMIT!!" Then I got drunk and went for a drive and ran over some illegal aliens.

Reminds of the last time I was at Buckingham Palace. I asked the Queen where the bathroom was and she got all upset..I dragged her into the dining room, took a dump in her soup bowl, and stuck her head into it. I said "Next time someone asks you where the bathroom is, honey...don't act so friggin arrogant...AND STAND FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM, DAMMIT!!" Then I got drunk and went for a drive and ran over some illegal aliens.

But their anthem is, "God Save the Queen."

Shame, tenny. Shame!

!@#$ing civilians.

Most of 'em don't have the brain to realize that it's the national frigging anthem that's being played and that there's an honor and respect factor to it. Most of the frigging civilians you see at a sporting event are also probably too drunk to realize that they are supposed to take their hat off. God-Damned useless civilians. <_<

Though it pains me to say it, I'm sort of with VA on this one. I'll yell at someone to take their hat off. They look at me funny, I give them the stare. Frigging pampered civilians.

:wallbash:

He was a flyboy. What's the difference other then scum-bag civilians do more work?

He flew in WWII planes in 'Nam.

As much of a pill I think tenny is, I don't question his service or his courage. Maybe his sanity - he flew in friggin' DC-3s over Vietnam. But not his service or courage.

And as far as all you servicemen are concerned...you fought for my First Amendment right to not take my hat off during the anthem, or burn the flag, or sit outside Bush's ranch in Crawford and act like a friggin' moron, or express myself however the hell else I want. Telling me I don't have a right you served to protect is hypocritical in the extreme.

Take mine off

Mention it to a friend

Keep my mouth shut otherwise.

I will never understand why it's more reverent to have you're hat off, than on. But, I do it anyway, just to avoid the BS.

Hey, no one told me they give out medals for idiocy!

I say you egomanical freaks break them out and see who has more!

i posted here for years without mentioning it til some witless right wing freak made an accusation that I didn't love my country. I wouldn't have posted a response to the moron except for the 35 members of my squadron whose names are on that wall in washington. I take my hat off when I visit there...a--hole.

i posted here for years without mentioning it til some witless right wing freak made an accusation that I didn't love my country. I wouldn't have posted a response to the moron except for the 35 members of my squadron whose names are on that wall in washington. I take my hat off when I visit there...a--hole.

You know, there's no proper response to this, so I'll just let you be.

To answer the questions asked above:

Do you remove your hat during the National Anthem? YES

If you were at a game with friends and they didn't remove their hat would you instruct them to do so? YES

If you were at a game and saw a stranger that had their hat on, would you ask them to remove it? YES

If you were at a game and saw a stranger that had their hat on, would you tell them to remove it? YES, if they didn't do it when I asked them to.

If they still refuse, it will be removed for them.

To sum things up:

Removing your hat during the National Anthem is mandatory.

Anyone who thinks otherwise, was not raised properly.

Yet somebody who starts a fight (which is essentially what you are doing) because somebody has a different opinion than you is raised properly? Uhh, sure. I love the idea of forcing somebody to agree with you.

Yet somebody who starts a fight (which is essentially what you are doing) because somebody has a different opinion than you is raised properly? Uhh, sure. I love the idea of forcing somebody to agree with you.

I just wonder if he waits until the second verse before he starts throwing punches...I'd like to know so I can raise my future kids "properly."

I just wonder if he waits until the second verse before he starts throwing punches...I'd like to know so I can raise my future kids "properly."

I think in my "Respect and Patriotism Handbook" it says to first wrap your fists in properly folded American flags. That way, it's not just you punching him. The entire country is!