Wearing a hat during the National Anthem

OnTheRocks

This is a question spun from a thread on another message board I was reading this morning.

I am wondering if you would discuss:

Do you remove your hat during the National Anthem?

If you were at a game with friends and they didn't remove their hat would you instruct them to do so?

If you were at a game and saw a stranger that had their hat on, would you ask them to remove it?

If you were at a game and saw a stranger that had their hat on, would you tell them to remove it?

Personally I always remove my hat for the National Anthem. Yeah....even if I am at a sports bar, and it is being played during the World Series or the Super Bowl...I take the hat off. However I am old school and don't wear a hat indoors anyway.

If I were with a group of people and someone in the group didn't remove their hat, I would definately suggest they remove it or have it removed by me.

If I were near a stranger, and they didn't remove theirs, I don't know what I would do. I suppose I would just keep my mouth shut and grit my teeth.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were near a stranger, and they didn't remove theirs, I don't know what I would do. I suppose I would just keep my mouth shut and grit my teeth.

Lean in and say in a calm voice, "It is a common courtesy to remove your hat during the Anthem."

If they remove it, all right; if they don't, that's all right too and at least you said something. Sometimes people just forget they're wearing a hat.

As for being old school --- I actually found a passage in my town's late-1700s records where the men voted on a measure to be allowed to wear hats indoors during the cold weather.

I never rarely wear a hat, but I take it off. If with someone, I will tell them to take their hat off, and if they don't I will take it off for them and shove it in their gut. If those around me don't, I will very curtly TELL them to take it off.

If I were with a group of people and someone in the group didn't remove their hat, I would definately suggest they remove it or have it removed by me.

You must hang with total pussies. If a "friend" of mine instructed me (as you put it) to do anything I'd stop returning their phone calls. If they made a move towards my head (especially at a friggin' sports bar) then they better be prepared to explain themselves.

If I forget and you remind me? Then I'll say "thanks."

I never rarely wear a hat, but I take it off. If with someone, I will tell them to take their hat off, and if they don't I will take it off for them and shove it in their gut. If those around me don't, I will very curtly TELL them to take it off.

I remove a gonad from anyone who does not take off their hat. Then I sew it back on later if they buy me a beer.

You must hang with total pussies. If a "friend" of mine instructed me (as you put it) to do anything I'd stop returning their phone calls. If they made a move towards my head (especially at a friggin' sports bar) then they better be prepared to explain themselves.

And I would not bother calling you again, if you have so little respect for the people who fought and died for the flag.

And I would not bother calling you again, if you have so little respect for the people who fought and died for the flag.

I think the point is is that it should be something one does themself and not something one is forced into doing by someone else. How does the person you are forcing to take their hat off show respect by you forcing them? The voluntary act of a person doing it out of their own volition is what shows respect.

I think the point is is that it should be something one does themself and not something one is forced into doing by someone else. How does the person you are forcing to take their hat off show respect by you forcing them? The voluntary act of a person doing it out of their own volition is what shows respect.

And my point is, if someone has so little respect for the folks who have served for that flag, then my respect for them also going to be very little. As far as if they forget, that too shows very little respect. I look forward to that aspect to honor my flag and my country, out of respect, I don't "forget".

And my point is, if someone has so little respect for the folks who have served for that flag, then my respect for them also going to be very little. As far as if they forget, that too shows very little respect. I look forward to that aspect to honor my flag and my country, out of respect, I don't "forget".

Sure, and I understand that completely. But you were talking about forcing other people to take their hat off, which is a completely different story.

Sure, and I understand that completely. But you were talking about forcing other people to take their hat off, which is a completely different story.

And if you are there with me, then yes I will remove your hat for you if you don't. If you are not with me, but sitting in front or next to me, I will tell you to remove your hat. I think that's pretty cut and dry. And if you fall into the first part, you probably will never go to another game with me again.

If I forget and you remind me? Then I'll say "thanks."

Who is the kitty?

BINGO!

Take off you own hat. Teach your kids and young relatives to show respect and remove their hat, but what good goes it do to rip off someone else's hat for them? If you hold a gun to someone's head and force them to sing the National Anthem, does that make them more respectful and patriotic?

If someone has already decided he's keeping his hat on for the anthem, the lack of respect has already been shown. Guilting them into removing their hat doesn't change that.

If my buddy told me to take my hat off, I would either say "Sorry, I forgot." or "Go eat a d-ck." I wouldn't run home and not answer the phone.

It's a figure of speech. No need to construct an entire scenario around it. I'll give you credit for creativity tho'.

Now you'll have to excuse me. I am meeting Jack Nicholson for a slice at the Boulevard Mall food court. :beer:

It's a figure of speech. No need to construct an entire scenario around it. I'll give you credit for creativity tho'.

Now you'll have to excuse me. I am meeting Jack Nicholson for a slice at the Boulevard Mall food court. :beer:

You know Jack Nicholson? :beer:

check the fine print under my post yesterday....