Your first concert

Great info, your Chefness.

BTW, when you said "Devon was born after Duane died" did you mean Derek? If so, more than 9 months after? :lol:

No I meant Gregg's son Devon. Devon looks more like his uncle than his dad. :worthy: But he was born after (yes, more than 9 months) Duane died.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, another question for you forty somethins out there?

What was the name of the club that one of the promoters owned out by the airport I think.

I saw three great shows there

1) The Police in 80 0r 81

2) Aerosmith--under the name of Dr J and the All Stars i think(BTW,hateAerosmith, just cool to see them in a club setting)

3) Al Dimeola(sp)- John McGlaughlin- Paco deLuccia(sp)

I can picture the place, it was a yellow building but cannot remeber the name for the life of me!

Harvey and Corkys Stage 1

Aerosmith played under the name of Dr. J Jones and the Interns

No I meant Gregg's son Devon. Devon looks more like his uncle than his dad. :worthy: But his was born after (yes, more than 9 months) Duane died.

Gotcha...thanks.

I'm going to inject some young blood into this...

FIRST

Chubby Checker - '95 UB Stadium

BEST

Pearl Jam - '04 HSBC

Best place to see a show - Toss up between:

Kool Haus (former warehouse) in Toronto

Moose & Goose (former front 54) in Thorold

My Cottage is also nice for outdoors in Port Tolusie (sp)

Moose and Goose is cool, I think I lost part of my hearing being too close to a speaker seeing Default there. Pretty cool show, I was also there for the Last time the Tea Party played there and they didn't go on til after 12 because of lighting problems, but they played til about 2. i think I also saw the trews there

My Cottage (Its Port Dalhousie, and just up the street is where Canadas famous killer Paul Bernardo lived and killed) is also cool because its basically a giant patio near the lake and they play on a deck. I've seen the tea Party there, Default, The Trews. Great to see concerts there on a sunny summer afternoon. Too bad it might be getting torn down. Theres some battles going on because that area (the block that cottage is on is supposed to be torn down and high end condos built in its place. They are trying to make the entire block a "Historical area" so it won't happen, but so far only Port Mansion has been saved.

Another goo spot in the area is Arizonas on Merritville Highway in Thorold. Its an outdoor patio bar that in the summer has concerts out front, right along the road. The front of the bar is a paved outdoor bar that usually holds big dance parties on weekends (and bike shows on Tuesdays) during the summer. I've seen a bunch of shows there. The Trews multiple times, The Tea Party almost every summer, Finger 11, and my favorite show they have had there, Matt Good. During one song he decided to grab an accoustic guitar with a wireless hook-up and he hopped off the stage and played across the street by the golf course, then on his way back across he tried to hail a cab, after the show he came out and drink with who ever stayed, unfortunately I had to wrk the next day so I left after the show, but a friend of mine met him after.

I'm guessing your from the area?

Harvey and Corkys Stage 1

Aerosmith played under the name of Dr. J Jones and the Interns

Had to post some of what I found researching on the net. Most prolly know this, but Harvey from Harvey and Corkys was Harvey Weinstein, he of Merimax films fame. I had no idea!

Second, trying to find the date of that Police show, the one in 79 was at Stage One. Was anyone else there?

But, looking at some Police notes, they started their first World Tour in Buffalo in 80( wow, the Police in Buffalo two times inside a year) and they have it listed at Clarks Gym at State University of NY. Was that venue at UB? If so, never heard of it or attended any concerts there. Anybody? Bueller?

Had to post some of what I found researching on the net. Most prolly know this, but Harvey from Harvey and Corkys was Harvey Weinstein, he of Merimax films fame. I had no idea!

Second, trying to find the date of that Police show, the one in 79 was at Stage One. Was anyone else there?

But, looking at some Police notes, they started their first World Tour in Buffalo in 80( wow, the Police in Buffalo two times inside a year) and they have it listed at Clarks Gym at State University of NY. Was that venue at UB? If so, never heard of it or attended any concerts there. Anybody? Bueller?

Clark Hall is on the Main St. campus and used to be where the Bulls played basketball. Very small venue (less than 5K seats, probably built in the 30's or 40's. I imagine it is still standing, at least it was while I was there (79-82, yikes!!!).

I remember going to concerts at Buff. State around that time. I saw the Pretenders there and many others(I'm just having trouble remembering them right now). I'm not sure if it was called Clarks Gym.

Clark Hall is on the Main St. campus and used to be where the Bulls played basketball. Very small venue (less than 5K seats, probably built in the 30's or 40's. I imagine it is still standing, at least it was while I was there (79-82, yikes!!!).

Did ya happen to catch the Police there in 80? Would have cool.

Anyway, taking this thread dwon memory lane, who remembers Talus? Found this about Stage One on a website. Holy Chit, U2 opened for Talus at stage one...wow

Brothers Danny & Rocco Oliverio on drums at the Poor House East in Williamsville, NY. Years later it would be a showcase room called Stage One. Groups such as U2, The Police, The Ramones, Aerosmith, Judas Priest and more would play there. U2 actually opened for Talas when they first came to America.

FIRST:

RUSH Presto Tour 1991 Charlotte Coliseum

BEST:

:nana: 3 night run of funk with Phish Phall of '97 :D

11/21/97, 11/22/97 Hampton Coliseum

11/23/97 LJMC Winston-Salem, NC

If you don't know you better ask somebody!!!! :nana:

Did ya happen to catch the Police there in 80? Would have cool.

Anyway, taking this thread dwon memory lane, who remembers Talus? Found this about Stage One on a website. Holy Chit, U2 opened for Talus at stage one...wow

Brothers Danny & Rocco Oliverio on drums at the Poor House East in Williamsville, NY. Years later it would be a showcase room called Stage One. Groups such as U2, The Police, The Ramones, Aerosmith, Judas Priest and more would play there. U2 actually opened for Talas when they first came to America.

Talas was my favorite local band ... saw them 100's of times. I still have the albums they released back then. They played at Stage 1 tons of times. I also remember seeing them at the Barrel Head in West Seneca, He + Shes in Tonawanda and many other places around the area.

Memorial Day weekend, 1966, the SANDSABARN, Warsaw/Perry, NY

The Blues Magoos "(We Ain't Got) Nothin' Yet"

One hit wonders, with a great sound.

I had to lie about my age because it was a teen club and I was only twelve! :devil:

This song is on a compilation CD called Psychedlic Pop - real garage band trippers:

The Animals

The Byrds

The Electric Prunes

The Jefferson Airplane

Tradewinds

The Strawberry Alarm Clock

The Lemon Pipers

Status Quo

Eire Apparent

Vanilla Fudge

Fever Tree

The Blues Magoos

What, no Bubble Puppy!? :devil:

My favorite? This is very hard, but - The Who in 1973 right after they released Who's Next?

First one: Lou Reed opened for The Kinks. I think it was around 1970.

The best? Too many " Bests" to list.

LOVED Lou Reed but never saw him.

The Kinks were FUN! After two hours, they still had not played a song I did not know.

My first concert (not sure why my parents would let me go to these and get wasted at age 15) was the Summerfest show in 1977 at the Stadium It was Donovan, then J Giels Band, then Seger (this part was what turned me into a concert nut for life - I had the albums and didn't know that at a concert everybody else knew all the songs, too!) and then Yes.

I'd love to hear if anybody else was at that show. That was towards the end of the run of Summerfests. I didn't consider Stones concerts with two openers the same as the summerfests.

I think i'm the only person in the world who has never been to a concert. I have never had an interest in enough songs from one artist to attend a concert. I'm not in awe of any music artist out there right now either.

Do you like music?

I am not in awe of music artists, but live music is what it is all about. It can be an obscure trio at a dinner theatre, some guy plinking keys in a dive club. When done right it is different every time.

I put down 75 cents to see an unknown band once and it was Aerosmith before they were a hit.

Concerts with Leon Russell, Taj Mahal, David Bromberg, Jetro Tull, Grand Funk, the Who, the Clash, Holy Smoke, Santana, Dave Matthews, Bela Fleck, Dave Brubeck, Rusted Root, Weezer, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Goldfinger, The Band...

Hell, Taj Mahal did one show solo (piano, guitar, dobro, banjo), the next time I saw him it was funk band, the last time it was jazz/blues fusion band.

The Jefferson Airplane played until the arena turned off power to their amps.

The Crash Test Dummies put on a show that makes their CDs seem inadequate.

Bela Fleck and his Band came on stage with Dave Matthews Band to jam to "Ants Marching" in the encore.

Jethro Tull chanted and only a few of us picked up on it and joined in to "A New Day Yesterday".

John Bonnamasso played a Hendrix style version of that same Tull song.

An obscure local band was playing in Niagara Falls, and Neil Young joined them for a few songs - IN A RESTAURANT!

This stuff cannot happen in a recording studio!

Only listening to music and never seeing it performed live is like watching people have sex instead of having sex! You are missing the heart, passion, and soul of the music!! :devil:

I must be the oldest concert goer here.

First >>> Dave Clark 5 at Kleinhans.. 1964 or 1965...

Fav in Buffalo >> Led Zeppelin 1973 at the Aud ......Guess Who at Darien Lake

Fav in College>>> Allman Brothers (Duane's last concert 1971),,,warmup was Luther Allison and he was incredible

Latest fav >>> Trans Siberian Orchestra...entertaining as all get out

Until I saw this, I thought I was old! :devil:

Probably the best was Commander Cody at the Tralf, sometime in the mid 80's

I saw Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen and The New Riders of the Purple Sage on the same Bill at UB in 1971.

To get high that night, you only had to breathe! :devil:

We must be of the same age and time. Your other post in this thread about the Niagara St bar and Pegasus, that was McVans at the corner of Niagara and Hertel. Huge old place, a real dump, expensive prices and hot waitresses. I seem to remember them as all sisters too. Had to see Rasputin there too, a KISS cover band complete with the dress too. Just awesome.

Spell it right, Talas. At the Barrelhead, He&She's, Afterdark too. Kleinhans reunion concert. Missed the one at the waterfront a few years back. Check out Billy Sheehan's web site for old Talas pictures, he has a ton of them, sure to bring back memories. Billy S

Rocco still plays locally, check out "Ron Rocco's 9 Lives" is his band

If you have an interest in local cover music, this is the BEST

First concert was Billy Squier with Ratt opening. I believe I was in the 6th or 7th grade at the time and went with my older brother. At the time I was very impressed and had a blast.

Ex bass player of Ratt lives and plays in Buffalo. Recent Buffalo Music Award "BMA" winner. Joey

Silver Extreme is a great local band, go see them

All you people here, get out and support the local music scene!!! Too many people's typical weekend is just going to some restaurant and stuffing themselves with food you shouldn't be eating any way :D

Fav in Buffalo >> Led Zeppelin 1973 at the Aud ......

Few years later Led Z was touring and coming to Buffalo. I had some of the first tickets sold when ultimately they cancelled due to Plant's child's death. My favorite all time band and that was the closest I ever came to seeing them

First concert, Deep Purple at the Aud in '73 promoting the Machine Head album. Others I saw:, Kiss, Bad Company, Stones, Kansas, Aerosmith, Chicago, Doobie Bros, Rush............then sat out the concert scene for like 25 years, last year I went and saw Bon Jovi, excellent!

Damn, I guess I really found a thread I got a lot to add to :D

Few years later Led Z was touring and coming to Buffalo. I had some of the first tickets sold when ultimately they cancelled due to Plant's child's death. My favorite all time band and that was the closest I ever came to seeing them

First concert, Deep Purple at the Aud in '73 promoting the Machine Head album. Others I saw:, Kiss, Bad Company, Stones, Kansas, Aerosmith, Chicago, Doobie Bros, Rush............then sat out the concert scene for like 25 years, last year I went and saw Bon Jovi, excellent!

Damn, I guess I really found a thread I got a lot to add to ;)

Wow, you had an excellent thread-streak of promoting local music and the you went an threw your credibility into question with THIS? Freakin' Bon Jovi?

I wish there was a head-shaking smiley. :D

I've seen Springsteen 14 times, The Who and Seger 7 each, and others like Stones, Rod, Mellencamp, etc. 4-6 times each.

Who has seen the same band (non local) the most times?

I don't know. Who?

I've seen Springsteen 14 times, The Who and Seger 7 each, and others like Stones, Rod, Mellencamp, etc. 4-6 times each.

Who has seen the same band (non local) the most times?

I think for me it's the Allman Bros, probably about 11 or 12 times.

Do you like music?

I am not in awe of music artists, but live music is what it is all about. It can be an obscure trio at a dinner theatre, some guy plinking keys in a dive club. When done right it is different every time.

I put down 75 cents to see an unknown band once and it was Aerosmith before they were a hit.

Concerts with Leon Russell, Taj Mahal, David Bromberg, Jetro Tull, Grand Funk, the Who, the Clash, Holy Smoke, Santana, Dave Matthews, Bela Fleck, Dave Brubeck, Rusted Root, Weezer, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Goldfinger, The Band...

Hell, Taj Mahal did one show solo (piano, guitar, dobro, banjo), the next time I saw him it was funk band, the last time it was jazz/blues fusion band.

The Jefferson Airplane played until the arena turned off power to their amps.

The Crash Test Dummies put on a show that makes their CDs seem inadequate.

Bela Fleck and his Band came on stage with Dave Matthews Band to jam to "Ants Marching" in the encore.

Jethro Tull chanted and only a few of us picked up on it and joined in to "A New Day Yesterday".

John Bonnamasso played a Hendrix style version of that same Tull song.

An obscure local band was playing in Niagara Falls, and Neil Young joined them for a few songs - IN A RESTAURANT!

This stuff cannot happen in a recording studio!

Only listening to music and never seeing it performed live is like watching people have sex instead of having sex! You are missing the heart, passion, and soul of the music!! :lol:

F'n great post!

I'm going to find something to go to this weekend just to honor its sentiments. <_<

1st concert....Foreigner....8th grade

Favorite.....Live Aid in Philadelphia in 1985, I believe......showed started at 10:00AM w/ Black Sabbath.....I loved BS growing up, but they were awful that morning.....I was both thrilled and surprised that Zepplin played in the states as opposed to Wembley, England where other bands had played. Phil Collins had played in Wembley earlier in the day then boarded the Concord to fly over to the states and promptly introduced Zepplin and stayed on to play drums. What a thrill.

Wow, you had an excellent thread-streak of promoting local music and the you went an threw your credibility into question with THIS? Freakin' Bon Jovi?

I wish there was a head-shaking smiley. <_<

Well I'm just "Living on a Prayer" :lol:

First was Kiss at the AUD in 1978. My Uncle took me and I've been a fan ever since.

Kiss was the first group I got to see on my own, when I was 'bout 10 and they were playing @ the 'Gloo in Pittsburgh (Civic Arena). I've seen them perform 5 or 6 times live, I believe.

Favorite ever? Tough call. There have been so many good shows I've seen over the years that I can't narrow it down to one. Here's a few:

Luther Vandross ('bout 10 times total)-RIP

Gerald LeVert (once w/ group, once solo)-RIP

Ahmad Jamal (once)

Overdose (once)

Public Enemy ('bout 5 times)

BB King (once, but he's playing here in August and we have tickets)

Sade (once)

Run DMC (3 or 4 times, I think)-RIP Jam Master Jay

George Clinton (once)

Living Colour (twice)

Greatest concert ever has a story behind it...

I am a huge Warren Zevon fan and had seen him live several times, usually in bars, including one great show at The Tralf. I heard somewhere that he was going to play in LA (this was a few years ago) but couldn't find out where the show was. I searched everywhere and I knew the date but it wasn't listed. It got to be one of those obsession things where I wasn't going to be denied finding out where the show was even if I didn't go, and then, on an obscure Zevon online fan site I saw one reference to it, at a place called, IIRC, "Studio 55" in Hollywood.

I had never heard of the venue and looked it up but there wasn't any listing for that either. This was getting too weird. Then I called information and got the number for it. A woman answered with just "hello" and I asked about tickets for tonight's Warren Zevon show. She seemed a little surprised and then explained that there were no tickets, Studio 55 was a recording studio, and tonight was just a radio promotion where 50 lucky listeners were given passes to see Warren warm up for a European tour he was about to go on just after he released his latest CD, which has one of the greatest titles ever, "Life'll Kill Ya." I said, damn, that sounds awesome. She asked who I was going to go with and I said either my girlfriend or this other friend I know who loves Zevon. The woman said she owns the recording studio and that if I came by myself, she would just leave my name at the door and let me in for free. That I sounded like a real fan.

So I go to the place, and there is a line out the door because they haven't let anyone in yet. I am the only one on the guest list and they let me in first. The woman says hi but she is super busy and that's the last I saw of her the whole night. The thing is a tiny studio which had a lot of history, apparently Elvis recorded one of his famous songs there. It literally holds no more than 50 people and there is a tiny stage in a recording room the size of your living room. It's also catered and there is free wine and beer and food.

I am standing right in front, the closest person to the small stage, no more than two feet from Zevon when he starts to play guitar. It's just him and a piano and about three different guitars. The thing lasts for a couple hours and it's just awesome. He's joking with the people there, including me, and it's unbelievable to see a guy like that two feet away, live, with amazing sound. But that's not even the best part.

He starts to play this song which was on his latest CD, but just plays a guitar part without singing. I recognized it but he just played it as an instrumental, the whole way through. As soon as it was over, he pressed his foot down on this little button on some contraption at his feet, and then started playing the song again, but a different guitar solo. It quickly became apparent that he recorded it live and it immediately played back over the sound system in a loop. So the earlier version he just played could be heard over the sound system as he played the new version. But he still didn't sing.

Then he did it again.

Pretty soon, people understood what was happening and it was friggin' awesome. The fourth time he played the guitar, he started to sing, and all three of the earlier versions played over the sound system at once so it sounded like a four piece guitar band. It was by far the coolest and best musical performance I had ever seen. Everyone around just had their jaws on the ground, as he's a tremendous musician as well as performer and songwriter.

That was quite a night.