Awful Colum from Jerry Sullivan

What a lazy and poorly thought-out article from Sullivan this morning!

Sullivan says that Marv is playing his cards all wrong... He claims that bringing in these other RBs shows that the front office is desperate to get rid of Willis -- and that his trade value will decline. Well, first off, we're not talking about world class, elite RBs that the Bills are bringing in. Any one of these guys (Rhodes, Brown, Dillon) would have to be part of a RBBC. Jerry also fails to mention that Anthony Thomas is a free agent -- and perhaps the Bills are looking for a replacement for him. And, yes, Jerry, the team DOES need to be proactive in preparing for a possibility of life without Willis. It would be irresponsible to do otherwise.

The bottom line is that with the dwindling market for RBs, it also HELPS the Bills' cause in terms of Willis' value to entertain the possibility of signing other RB FAs -- as Willis represents more of a scarce commodity. Sullivan talks about the lack of interest from other teams in acquiring Willis by pointing out that the Broncos signed Travis right away and the Jets were quick to trade for Thomas Jones. Well, it is true that both of those guys could be upgrades over Willis. However, Jerry fails to mention (probably because he's too out-of-the-loop to really know) that the Broncos WERE highly interested in Willis before the Titans released Travis. Suddenly, they could pick up Travis for nothing versus having to give up something in a trade for Willis. Also, the Jets were right to jump on the Jones trade -- as all they gave up was a swap of 2nd round picks with the Bears. The word we hear is that the Bills may be able to get the Ravens' 2nd round pick (and possibly an extra pick too) in exchange for Willis. That sounds like a better deal to me than what the Bears got for Jones.

Also, Jerry, remember back to when TD traded Travis to the Titans. All he managed to land was a FUTURE 3rd round pick. Now, I'm not going to get overly excited because no trade has been made yet -- and we have no way of knowing what kind of compensation that the Bills will ultimately get for Willis. But, then again, neither do you, Jerry.

actually, i just went and read the article. this one isnt even that bad. he waits until the 3rd-last paragraph to criticize marv and even then he says "Levy has the right idea. But he hasn’t played his hand all that well."

not exactly BLASTING AWAY at the guy... this time

dont take sullivans words as anything besides total bulls... if football knowledge were drops of water that idiot couldn't fill a thimble on a ducks ass .he landed here after being run out of nyc. he was a basketball beat writer he brought his holier than thou nyc bs attitude with him , he's nothing more than a moron with a little guy complex..

Column by Jerry Sullivan = Awful Column

The other replies have hit the bird on the beak. He's just terrible.

I don't mind his negativity...that's his shtick. But, he clearly has limited knowledge of football. He doesn't seem to have any grasp of the game. Pat Murray from the Niagara Gazette (possibly the nation's worst newspaper) is in the same category: Clueless Idiot

So after Marv gets a second round pick for McStupid and signs [insert Brown, Rhodes, Dillon, and/or A-Train here], we'll have our offensive backfield in place with a monster O-line ready to clear the way for huge chunks of yardage...

Does anyone think Sullivan will then write a column titled, "Yeah, I'm a F*&king Idiot...So what?"

Marv = Genius.

Sullivan < Picard.

So after Marv gets a second round pick for McStupid and signs [insert Brown, Rhodes, Dillon, and/or A-Train here], we'll have our offensive backfield in place with a monster O-line ready to clear the way for huge chunks of yardage...

Does anyone think Sullivan will then write a column titled, "Yeah, I'm a F*&king Idiot...So what?"

Marv = Genius.

Sullivan < Picard.

Good morning, Senator. Somebody piss in your Cheerios this morning? :rolleyes:

Marv = Genius.

Sullivan < Picard.

Actually, Sullivan is right. Even though we are openly shopping Willis, we should not be looking at available RB options because it's tipping our hand.

Of course, by following Sullivan's thinking, we could wait until the Willis trade is done, and THEN start looking at available backs, at which time we could have our pick of OJ Simpson or Antonio Fargas.

But hey...he wouldn't be tipping his hand.

Actually, Sullivan is right. Even though we are openly shopping Willis, we should not be looking at available RB options because it's tipping our hand.

Of course, by following Sullivan's thinking, we could wait until the Willis trade is done, and THEN start looking at available backs, at which time we could have our pick of OJ Simpson or Antonio Fargas.

But hey...he wouldn't be tipping his hand.

I completely disagree. With the three backs in for visits and the eventuality one will sign, plus the Browns' signing of Lewis, Marv has increased his leverage on Willis with Baltimore completely depleted in the backfield. We are not desperate, Baltimore is. I'm betting we get a 2 and a 5.

I completely disagree. With the three backs in for visits and the eventuality one will sign, plus the Browns' signing of Lewis, Marv has increased his leverage on Willis with Baltimore completely depleted in the backfield. We are not desperate, Baltimore is. I'm betting we get a 2 and a 5.

You're completely disagreeing with someone who completely agrees with you, and proved it with a Huggy Bear reference?

They're not tipping their hand at all. I doubt anyone in the NFL actually believes that the Bills would go into the 2007 with Shaud Williams and Fred Jackson as their RBs. Everyone knows they're going to have to sign/draft a couple of RBs if McGahee is traded.

You're completely disagreeing with someone who completely agrees with you, and proved it with a Huggy Bear reference?

LA and KtD, your posts are far too complex for The Wall.

As we used to say in Tinseltown, "Tit it up and dumb it down".

Of course, LA has already complied with the first part of that adage with his stunning avatar.

Of course, LA has already complied with the first part of that adage with his stunning avatar.

Sure to be followed by a visit to by the illustrious Hamburger U grads for the second part.

Yeah Jerry, you're smarter than Marv Levy. You know, since you are a Pulitzer Prize winner, er a decorated journalist, er... Well, at least he's not an accomplished individual with multiple degrees and a pedigree like "Inducted into the Hall of Fame" for his chosen endeavor.

No Cheerios for me - Atkins diet. Couldn't even have a beer during last nite's Sabres game - am forced to drink pure Vodka! :rolleyes:

Just sent you an email.

I've gained a ton of weight since moving. I may have to join you on the all vodka version of Atkins soon. I can't afford the diet of my College years: salads, white wine and cocaine!

Maybe Jerry S is using the vodka/cocaine diet. That might explains some things.

I've gained a ton of weight since moving. I may have to join you on the all vodka version of Atkins soon. I can't afford the diet of my College years: salads, white wine and cocaine!

Maybe Jerry S is using the vodka/cocaine diet. That might explains some things.

Try "The Senator's Pork and Vodka Diet" (coming to a book store near you) - have lost about 40 pounds, and am holding steady at under 175!

Posluszny!!! :rolleyes:

What a lazy and poorly thought-out article from Sullivan this morning!

Sullivan says that Marv is playing his cards all wrong... He claims that bringing in these other RBs shows that the front office is desperate to get rid of Willis -- and that his trade value will decline. Well, first off, we're not talking about world class, elite RBs that the Bills are bringing in. Any one of these guys (Rhodes, Brown, Dillon) would have to be part of a RBBC. Jerry also fails to mention that Anthony Thomas is a free agent -- and perhaps the Bills are looking for a replacement for him. And, yes, Jerry, the team DOES need to be proactive in preparing for a possibility of life without Willis. It would be irresponsible to do otherwise.

The bottom line is that with the dwindling market for RBs, it also HELPS the Bills' cause in terms of Willis' value to entertain the possibility of signing other RB FAs -- as Willis represents more of a scarce commodity. Sullivan talks about the lack of interest from other teams in acquiring Willis by pointing out that the Broncos signed Travis right away and the Jets were quick to trade for Thomas Jones. Well, it is true that both of those guys could be upgrades over Willis. However, Jerry fails to mention (probably because he's too out-of-the-loop to really know) that the Broncos WERE highly interested in Willis before the Titans released Travis. Suddenly, they could pick up Travis for nothing versus having to give up something in a trade for Willis. Also, the Jets were right to jump on the Jones trade -- as all they gave up was a swap of 2nd round picks with the Bears. The word we hear is that the Bills may be able to get the Ravens' 2nd round pick (and possibly an extra pick too) in exchange for Willis. That sounds like a better deal to me than what the Bears got for Jones.

Also, Jerry, remember back to when TD traded Travis to the Titans. All he managed to land was a FUTURE 3rd round pick. Now, I'm not going to get overly excited because no trade has been made yet -- and we have no way of knowing what kind of compensation that the Bills will ultimately get for Willis. But, then again, neither do you, Jerry.

He is a joke. Like the rest of the league wasn't already aware that Mcgahee's days in Buffalo were numbered. Anyone who pays any attention whatsoever could figure that out.

Jerry Sullivan = Fart Sniffing Weasel. :rolleyes:

Hey Jerry, here's another take: Everyone knew the Bills had Willis on the trading block, so no big surprise. They were simply interviewing to plan for the contigency that a deal could be worked out. No desperation, just smart planning. What do you do, wait until the deal gets worked out first? And maybe the guy you really want has already signed with someone else by then.

I pretty much can't read his tripe. My reaction to his crap ranges from hilarity to annoyance to anger, depending upon the mood I'm already in, and it tends to the annoyance and anger side, so who needs it? I agree with what another poster said earlier, there are far better takes on things on this board by far then what he peddles for a salary.

He is a joke. Like the rest of the league wasn't already aware that Mcgahee's days in Buffalo were numbered. Anyone who pays any attention whatsoever could figure that out.

Sullivan failed to recognize the Ravens' motivation (desperation?) for McGahee after Lewis had signed with the Browns.

Isn't the WWW great? 10+ years ago, before blogging, these journalists couldn't be held to account. Now their BS is subject to scrutiny by countless blogs, message boards, sports chatrooms, etc. Sullivan can't get away with BS.

Column by Jerry Sullivan = Awful Column

The other replies have hit the bird on the beak. He's just terrible.

I don't mind his negativity...that's his shtick. But, he clearly has limited knowledge of sports. He doesn't seem to have any grasp of any game. Pat Murray from the Niagara Gazette (possibly the nation's worst newspaper) is in the same category: Clueless Idiot

Fixed it for you. :thumbsup:

Fixed it for you. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Dave. I was trying to be somewhat charitable as I am told he is quite the expert when it comes to the NBA. I cannot say one way or the other.

But, I will say, the Buffalo News is an odd place for a columnist who is knowledgeable about pro ball and clueless about the NFL.

Yeah Jerry, you're smarter than Marv Levy. You know, since you are a Pulitzer Prize winner, er a decorated journalist, er... Well, at least he's not an accomplished individual with multiple degrees and a pedigree like "Inducted into the Hall of Fame" for his chosen endeavor.

Sully was inducted into the Wedgie HOF a few back, IIRC....