Here's all I need to know about Marshawn Lynch

since he gets to play powerhouses like Stanford, Washington, Washington State, Arizona and Oregon, he better have real good numbers...

Arizona and Oregon are pretty underrated programs. PAC 10 is a very strong football conference so i dont know where the knock on marshawn lynchs ability is. He also plays against USC.

Arizona and Oregon are pretty underrated programs. PAC 10 is a very strong football conference so i dont know where the knock on marshawn lynchs ability is. He also plays against USC.

USC is their toughest opponent(and a VERY tough one, ill give them that). but after that its a dropoff to UCLA. Oregon St is ok... arizona state is... ok, i guess.

i dont know. watching as much SEC and Big 10 as i do, the Pac-10 just looks so weak. its hard for me to get behind a player coming out of there that isnt from USC.

the last 2 "great" players that came out of that offense were Aaron Rogers and JJ Arrington...

The Pac-10 is solid as a whole, but lets just say defense isn't the number one concern in that conference.

The Pac-10 is solid as a whole, but lets just say defense isn't the number one concern in that conference.

It has that reputation, but is it deserved? They played 8 games against the Pac-10 this year. 6 of those teams had run defenses ranked 42nd or better, which means they were in the top third of all Division 1 teams and on average they were ranked 27th. Stanford (117) and Oregon (78), the other two games, drag the average down to 44. That's still not that bad.

Lynch ran for 100 yards against four of them. The remaining two were against USC and UCLA, tied for 9th in the country against the run. Lynch posted 88 and 81 yards respectively against them, with 20 carries in each game.

USC is their toughest opponent(and a VERY tough one, ill give them that). but after that its a dropoff to UCLA. Oregon St is ok... arizona state is... ok, i guess.

i dont know. watching as much SEC and Big 10 as i do, the Pac-10 just looks so weak. its hard for me to get behind a player coming out of there that isnt from USC.

Yeah, the Big 10 sure looked great. What were they, like 2-5 in their bowl games and their 2 "elite" teams both got dismantled. Once they start playing games outside their conference they are exposed as weak teams. At least the Pac 10 went .500 in their bowl games, which isn't great but is much better than that power conference Big 10.

Trying to knock Lynch because of the conference he played in is a joke. The guy can play. That being said the last thing I want to see is the Bills use their #1 pick on a RB.

Do you guys really think Marv is going to take a player with character concerns?? <_<

I don't!

Also, I saw one of his interviews on NFL Network and the guy is dumber than a box of rocks!

Not gonna Happen!!!!

Hit the nail on the head. I see Marv and the boys steering way clear of Marshaun Lynch.

the last 2 "great" players that came out of that offense were Aaron Rogers and JJ Arrington...

Pac 10 does have some dogs in it(last yr Washington/Stanford) however UCLA, USC, Oregon & Cal were all pretty good this year.

Do you guys really think Marv is going to take a player with character concerns?? <_<

I don't!

Also, I saw one of his interviews on NFL Network and the guy is dumber than a box of rocks!

Not gonna Happen!!!!

I would think that depends upon whether or not the character concerns have any merit. The scouting staff will obviously have to look into it further, but from what I've read, I don't think there's a problem.

I don't!

Not gonna Happen!!!!

Marv has explained a few times here and there what he means by "character" and he isn't talking about their boy scout record. Marv had plenty of players whose "football character" he admired but whose basic character was not so good. Bruce Smith's trouble with alcohol and at least one drug suspension as I recall come to mind. Didn't Marv draft Moulds? Moulds was considered an off the field problem player when we took him but no one ever doubted his conduct on the field. Marv wants guys who are committed to winning, not just making big bucks. Reed, Kelly, Smith, Thurman and even Moulds for that matter, took winning and losing far more seriously than contract negotiations. Those guys seriously would have rather died than lose a single game. When they played, they gave it all and on every play. They all had chips on their shoulders and would kill you before they would let you knock it off.

That's what Marv means by "character."

I don't!

Not gonna Happen!!!!

The charges were dropped against Lynch by the DA because there was not enough evidence. I love the idea that if someone says something bad about you and has absolutely no proof that suddenly you have "character concerns".

The charges were dropped against Lynch by the DA because there was not enough evidence. I love the idea that if someone says something bad about you and has absolutely no proof that suddenly you have "character concerns".

Exactly. I don't get all this character stuff. Everything I know about Lynch sounds positive. He generally avoids attention, deflects credit away from himself and toward his teammates, busts his ass on the field, plays through injuries. He grew up in a tough neighborhood in tough circumstances. Toward the end of last season he was slowly becoming more of a vocal team leader, but still staying out of the limelight in terms of the press. He spontaneously drove a golf cart around the field after a big win (he said he didn't know why exactly, except that "the keys were in it"). Oh my God, arrest him. Or, on the other hand, draft him.

I'm not into first round running backs unless they are very special. I'd be happy with Okoye or Willis or Brown (unlikely now) and then Hunt or Pittman etc. in the 2nd. But I would pretty excited if Marv pulled the trigger on Lynch. And given his experience with Kelly/Thomas/Reed and that of his old pal in Indy with Manning/Harrison/Edge (then Addai), he's gotta be into triplets. (Of course, who isn't into triplets? <_<)

Marv has explained a few times here and there what he means by "character" and he isn't talking about their boy scout record. Marv had plenty of players whose "football character" he admired but whose basic character was not so good. Bruce Smith's trouble with alcohol and at least one drug suspension as I recall come to mind. Didn't Marv draft Moulds? Moulds was considered an off the field problem player when we took him but no one ever doubted his conduct on the field. Marv wants guys who are committed to winning, not just making big bucks. Reed, Kelly, Smith, Thurman and even Moulds for that matter, took winning and losing far more seriously than contract negotiations. Those guys seriously would have rather died than lose a single game. When they played, they gave it all and on every play. They all had chips on their shoulders and would kill you before they would let you knock it off.

Totally agree. And to prove it, Marv went out on day one and signed three guys for 75 mil whose teams' records last year were a combined 13-35. <_<

Then "character" describes Marshawn Lynch, as those of us on the West Coastwho saw him play can attest. Not saying he is a must take, the Bills would know much better than us, but this guy was a real gamer and gave his heart in to the game. If the Bills do get him what you will see is a guy fighting for that extra yard. He is a football player !

Actually, it didn't even go that far. No charges were ever filed.

Actually, it didn't even go that far. No charges were ever filed.

True, but the fact that he battered his girlfriend certainly can't sit too well with Marv. :rolleyes:

Plus, he did grow up in a poor neighborhood etc. and because of his "lack of smarts" he is what NFL teams consider a risk come Draft time because they don't know what he will do when a player with his mentality gets millions dropped into his hands.

True, but the fact that he battered his girlfriend certainly can't sit too well with Marv. :rolleyes:

Plus, he did grow up in a poor neighborhood etc. and because of his "lack of smarts" he is what NFL teams consider a risk come Draft time because they don't know what he will do when a player with his mentality gets millions dropped into his hands.

What don't you get about the fact that there is no evidence that he battered his girlfriend at all? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Maybe he's a creep, maybe she was just angry and made something up. No way to know for sure.

As for the "mentality" you are worried about, few NFL players are particularly swift, and I venture to say that people who grow up in difficult situations and succeed (which he has done so far) are more likely to continue that success than are people who have had everything handed to them in the 'burbs.

Either way, though, generalizations are stupid (except for that one). I'm sure if the Bills are interested in him they'll work hard to get a good feel for who he is as an actual person, not a symbol or a category.

possibly the dumbest thing ive read on the board in the past 3 days. and thats really saying something.

i especially enjoy the part where you state "the fact..." but then completely ignore the facts.

What don't you get about the fact that there is no evidence that he battered his girlfriend at all? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Maybe he's a creep, maybe she was just angry and made something up. No way to know for sure.

I remember reading the article when the cops were called to her apartment and she had bruises after the incident. Unless "she beat herself up" :rolleyes: I'm quite sure Lynch played a part in it. :rolleyes:

I'm quite sure "hush-money" from his agent played a part in her not pursuing the matter and dropping the charges. :rolleyes:

possibly the dumbest thing ive read on the board in the past 3 days. and thats really saying something.

i especially enjoy the part where you state "the fact..." but then completely ignore the facts.

The fact that the charges were dropped is equal to the fact that O.J. is innocent.

DUHHH!

:rolleyes:

Looks like the girlfriend may have been the one with the issues...

http://nfl.aolsportsblog.com/2007/02/24/ma...ons-on-his-pas/

Note this little diddy...

"County deputy district attorney who specializes in domestic violence cases declined to press charges, citing a lack of evidence and "grave inconsistencies" in the alleged victim's accusations. Lynch never was arrested or charged"

I think the Bills are smart enough to figure out if there's a concern or not with this player. After reading this piece I'm starting to think that he may be a player that does have the "character" to be a Bill.

I remember reading the article when the cops were called to her apartment and she had bruises after the incident. Unless "she beat herself up" :rolleyes: I'm quite sure Lynch played a part in it. :rolleyes:

I'm quite sure "hush-money" from his agent played a part in her not pursuing the matter and dropping the charges. :rolleyes:

Well, as long as you're "quite sure," I guess I'll back off.

Looks like the girlfriend may have been the one with the issues...

http://nfl.aolsportsblog.com/2007/02/24/ma...ons-on-his-pas/

Note this little diddy...

"County deputy district attorney who specializes in domestic violence cases declined to press charges, citing a lack of evidence and "grave inconsistencies" in the alleged victim's accusations. Lynch never was arrested or charged"

I think the Bills are smart enough to figure out if there's a concern or not with this player. After reading this piece I'm starting to think that he may be a player that does have the "character" to be a Bill.

OH MAN! HIS AGENT MUST HAVE PAID OFF THE GIRLFRIEND, THE DA AND THE POLICE!!

:rolleyes:

Do you guys really think Marv is going to take a player with character concerns?? :rolleyes:

I don't!

Not gonna Happen!!!!

yeah because marv drafted donte whitner for his academic abilities

I remember reading the article when the cops were called to her apartment and she had bruises after the incident. Unless "she beat herself up" I'm quite sure Lynch played a part in it.

I'm quite sure "hush-money" from his agent played a part in her not pursuing the matter and dropping the charges.

Bruises?? Are you really sure about this?

Based on this report, there is no evidence at all:

The 20-year-old Emeryville woman made inconsistent statements to police, and some allegations she made in an application for a restraining order that was granted by a judge Friday didn't match what she told officers, said Kim Hunter, an Alameda County senior deputy district attorney.

A friend of both Lynch and the woman told police that the incident described by the woman didn't happen, and the woman, who said she had been choked, didn't show signs of injury, Hunter said. Also, there were no photographs that could document what she said, the prosecutor said.

Wow...This is a really foolish comment. B/c of a domestic charge that was actually dropped against him...his mentallity is questioned? B/c he grew up in a poor neighborhood he's now deemed to have a "lack of smarts"?

What percentage of players in the league do you think comes from a poor neighborhood? This means absolutely nothing about what they will become and how they will handle millions dropped into there hands. The stereotype that you made is the reason why there are sooo many divisions in this day and age. LAck of knowledge and b/c of that your type tend to fill in the blanks!

REALLY SAD!!

Wow...This is a really foolish comment. B/c of a domestic charge that was actually dropped against him...his mentallity is questioned? B/c he grew up in a poor neighborhood he's now deemed to have a "lack of smarts"?

What percentage of players in the league do you think comes from a poor neighborhood? This means absolutely nothing about what they will become and how they will handle millions dropped into there hands. The stereotype that you made is the reason why there are sooo many divisions in this day and age. LAck of knowledge and b/c of that your type tend to fill in the blanks!

REALLY SAD!!

His lack of smarts has nothing to do with where he grew up, I was referring to his interviews on the NFL Network. Read all the posts! :rolleyes:

2004 Avg. 8.8 YPC (on only 71 carries, however)

2005 Avg. 6.4 YPC

2006 Avg. 6.1 YPC

(OK, that's not really all I need to know. But those are some crazy yards per carry. I don't know of any other workhorse running back in the draft averaging over 6 yards during two full seasons of work.)

i don't like it. He's trending downwards. :rolleyes: