Kelsay to be re-signed. Announcement soon...

gsx95red

I know how much some of you hate Florio, but he is reporting Bills are going to resign him at $6 million per year!

I can't beleive Clements is not worth $8 million per year to Marv but Kelsay is worth $6M and didn't even start 2006 as the starter (Denney).

This post brings truth to the other poster that had "inside informatino" and said a deal was coming, I give props out to that.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

I know how much some of you hate Florio, but he is reporting Bills are going to resign him at $6 million per year!

I can't beleive Clements is not worth $8 million per year to Marv but Kelsay is worth $6M and didn't even start 2006 as the starter (Denney).

This post brings truth to the other poster that had "inside informatino" and said a deal was coming, I give props out to that.

How do you know Clements is only worth 8 mil a year? that sounds low

Also, you don't have the full details of this salary yet. Whats the bonus being awarded? Clements would have been looking at $15-25 mil bonus easily if he was only making 8 mil a season

I am still not going to blame Marv for losing Clements until he is signed with another team, only because you don't know what he's gonna get, and what is being offered. Marv said he has been offering a very competitive offer, but Clements agent should be fired if he doesn't let Clements test the market first, before signing ANYTHING

Also this report is from Pro Football Weakly so though they are sometimes correct (though this often seems to occur our of coincidence when they are right) waiting for either some official pronouncement or a more reliable source on an issue like the contract amount is probably a good idea,

I like Kelsay and I was hoping we'd re-sign him but 6 per is an overpayment and I'd be really shocked if those are the actual numbers. he has gotten better every year, but he's not the same player that schobel is and shouldn't be paid like him. If they give him 6 per that's a bit of an insult to AS. I'm sure AS is above that sort of concern but still...I don't think his level of production warrants 6 per.

Also, we'll have to see how the deal is structured, because we're not familiar with what cash-to-the-cap contracts look like. Obviously, if it's a three year deal that goes $6M, $6M, $6M, that's pretty straightforward. But it could be $6M, $6M, $1M, $1M, $1M, so that he gets a 'signing bonus' of $12 million over the first two years, and PFT's source reported that. Stay tuned.

Also, it's worth noting that he plays a key position for our defense, and there aren't any comprable replacements with Smith and Allen off the market.

Also, we'll have to see how the deal is structured, because we're not familiar with what cash-to-the-cap contracts look like. Obviously, if it's a three year deal that goes $6M, $6M, $6M, that's pretty straightforward. But it could be $6M, $6M, $1M, $1M, $1M, so that he gets a 'signing bonus' of $12 million over the first two years, and PFT's source reported that. Stay tuned.

Also, it's worth noting that he plays a key position for our defense, and there aren't any comprable replacements with Smith and Allen off the market.

Confirmed on buffalobills.com

How do you know Clements is only worth 8 mil a year? that sounds low

Also, you don't have the full details of this salary yet. Whats the bonus being awarded? Clements would have been looking at $15-25 mil bonus easily if he was only making 8 mil a season

I am still not going to blame Marv for losing Clements until he is signed with another team, only because you don't know what he's gonna get, and what is being offered. Marv said he has been offering a very competitive offer, but Clements agent should be fired if he doesn't let Clements test the market first, before signing ANYTHING

I would be surprised if Clements gets more than Champ Bailey ($9 million per year) so $8 million seems reasonable. That is slightly more than McCallister and co. who signed a couple years back, and more than the going rate the last couple years for corners at $6-$7 million per year.

One thing that needs to be taken into account: Florio and PFT and other places get their information second hand, and from people that like to leak things. The Bills have gone on record as they they will, and have a history of, building incentives into a contract. An agent for Kelsay would almost assuredly insert said incentives into his dollar figures for the contract. So even if this story is true, and the numbers listed are true, the actual money is probably far less than that, not to mention that the last couple years even in the cash to the cap philosophy, will be lopsided. It's probably a lot closer to 4 mil than 6.

I don't understand - how would a contract structured like that not guarantee a holdout after two seasons?

And what does this say about how the team views kelsay vs. Denney and Hargrove?

$6M per year makes absolutely no sense given the Schobel contract and Kelsay's performance to date. I will believe it when I read it on bb.com.

But it DOES make sense. Kelsay can play, and he timed it right. There is nothing at all stopping Marv from renegotiating with Schobel, who deserves it. He took a lesser salary and extended his contract.

We are sitting with a billion dollars in cap space. We are about to lose London and Nate.

Good God, how about extensions for the few good players that are left, ya know?

WASTE OF MONEY...... what a joke.....did anyone actually watch this team play last year??? I hope its just a silly rumor. Deals like that help little danny snyders and the like

This move is fine. I was hoping the Bills would draft a DE with passrush upside high in the draft, but certainly re-signing Kelsay doesn't constitute a bad move. We just need to add another difference maker along the d-line, whether it be McCargo developing into one or us drafting one this year.

First off, of the three Free Agents, it seemed Kelsay was the one most willing to take less than market value to remain. It seemed toward the end of the year he didn't want to leave and had established himself in the Buffalo area. I'll believe the 6M per when someone reputable gets the numbers. Otherwise, I'll just be happy we retained him for now.

But it DOES make sense. Kelsay can play, and he timed it right. There is nothing at all stopping Marv from renegotiating with Schobel, who deserves it. He took a lesser salary and extended his contract.

We are sitting with a billion dollars in cap space. We are about to lose London and Nate.

Good God, how about extensions for the few good players that are left, ya know?

Oh, I'm glad they re-signed Kelsay -- whom I believe will continue to improve. I just find it improbable that he will be paid more than the All-Pro playing on the other side -- renegotiation possibilities aside.

Is that what the market is really paying?

Damn, I wish I was a couple of inches taller and 100 pounds heavier. :worthy: