Congrats Wade Phillips!!!

i have mixed feelings about this

i'm glad Wade got another shot. he's a good coach and deserves it

but i hate the cowboys, they don't deserve a class act like wade. plus i don't know if dallas is the best fit off the field for wade. his personality may not be a good match for the dallas media circus (jerry jones, terrell owens, etc)

just like you said

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I figured he'd get another shot but I never thought it would be with the Cowboys. Wade Phillips and TO?

I'm surprised I haven't read the "Will he wear a headset?" post yet.

no need with jerry standing next to him

Good scoop by Sportscenter. NFL Network tonight reported that an inside source was hinting the Cowboys were leaning toward Phillips but they had no confirmation of his hiring.

Wade has been the most likely option since Jerry Jones hired Jason Garrett to be OC.

It probably took so long becasue Wade was holding out for Ronnie Jones to be his special teams coach. :blink:

i think he'll do well back in his home state environment

His biggest worry is going to be handling Terell Owens...Even Parcells had a pretty tough time....Hope 3rd time proves good for a good guy...I think he is an awesome defensive

coordinator, but falls just that wee bit short as a HC...

I'll say it again....Wade may be a nice guy and a great DC, but he's not a good head coach.

Good for him that he (apparently) gets another job, but good luck to Dallas. If he couldn't handle the Flutie/Johnson QB controversy very well, how is he expected to handle TO?

I don't mean to be a scrooge here, but I just can't see him doing very well in Big D.

a major reason Jones hired him was so Jones could get back in the driver's seat of this team. TO is Jones' guy. i think, if im Wade, i let Jones know that i will coach this team and manage my guys, but the second TO starts doing his act i need Jones to step-up and put TO in his place. i understand that is usually the coaches job but 1. Jones wants the control 2. we all know TO thinks hes above everyone else(players AND coaches) and the only guy he'll listen to is the one who signs the checks.

plus, wade might be able to spin it into a good cop bad cop thing since he is such a players coach and actually end up on TO's good side... maybe... naaaaaaah

How long before Wade quits on the Cowboys the way he quit on us in 2000?

3 days after TO and then Jones and then the media rip him for allowing his designated punt catcher to have 4 drops before replacing him with a return man.

And this might be just a set up to get Bill Cowher next year or the year after.....

no way, Cowher is a Parcell's type coach. he wants to be the guy in charge. remember when they ran that white-haired GM out of pittsburgh because it was either him of Cowher.

i think what this does is, installs a good(not great) HC now and they help groom Jason Garrett to take over in 5 years or so. and Garrett is another guy that Jones can DEFINITELY control.

How long before Wade quits on the Cowboys the way he quit on us in 2000?

That is the most stupid argument against Wade....Wade never quit on us...Just because he said we had no chance to make the playoffs is not quitting...Sometimes, the HC has a very good idea of how good the team is.

Wade couldn't handle the Flutie/Johnson divide in the locker room

Wade couldn't put a good ST unit, making the bills best ST coach a scapegoat for Music City Miracle.

Wade couldn't put a good offense on the field....His only weapon on offense was Eric Moulds.

The Bills couldn't negotiate a contract with their GM Butler. The new GM wanted to bring in his HC.

Finally, Phillips refused to sack horrible ST coach from his staff and got the wrath of the Owner.

Those 5 things contributed to his sacking...

Wade is a great guy and a great coach. He never should have been forced out (just like Bill Polian never should have been forced out).

I am glad that Wade is getting another shot. He deserves it. I know that some on this board said that he never would get another sniff as a head coach.

Wade's father is a legend in Texas. Wade should be well received by the people there -- with or without a headset.

i think that Wade inherited one of the worst situations that any head coach has ever faced in NFL history. he came in right in time for, not only the dismantling of a much loved dynasty, but then for the shift to the current FA/cap league. he had a GM who didnt know how to handle the cap, and made a bunch of horrible personnel moves and thrust a QB controversy upon him. no matter how hard he swam he was bound to drown here.