A Willis Trade

BoondckCL

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacobs got less and less productive as the season wore on. While I agree he moves well for a man his size. What worries me is as the season wears on can he continually stay strong without wearing down due to his size.

7YPC in September. 4.3 in October. 3.9 in November and 3.5 in December is paticularly alarming. As far as his yard per catch. He had 11 receptions that's not a lot to go on. He showed some ability to run after the catch with 43 of his 149 yards coming on one reception. Albeit against dallas who has made even fullbacks look like all pro players. I'm sure he'll get a chance to prove he's the guy, but I still say they'll bring in another more versatile rb.

don't forget that the giants had a lot of injuries along the o-line.

Brandon Jacobs is not an everydown back. Most giants fans are terribly aware of that. The giants probably know that as well. I wouldnt be suprised if they try to get Michael Turner another rb or draft one in free agency. Jacobs excells in short yardage situations but he is not a guy to handle the load.

Michael Turner is awesome....I would trade him for McGehee in a heartbeat.....

I live close to San Diego....

Turner is tired of sitting in LT's shadow......

McGehee is down here all the time in the offseason and loves it here......it would be a good trade for both teams......

don't forget that the giants had a lot of injuries along the o-line.

Not to mention serious issues with thier offensive coaching and schemes.

I'm just hoping they're going to give him the shot I think he deserves because I traded for him late in the season in my FFL hoping to put a transition tag on him next year.

I'm confused. If willis sucks as bad as this board says he does, then how are going to fetch a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

Since all you armchair GM's claim willis is so bad, why would another GM give up more than a 7th for someone that terrible?

I would never say Willis sucks I'd just say he's nothing special- I wouldn't trade him until I had a running back who I thought could help the team more- I think Marshawn Lynch will still be there at 12- I think he could be a better fit than McGahee I want a more versatile back- I think Detroit will take a QB with their first pick and still need a RB- MaGahee and our third for their second- of course we'd be taking a risk you never know about a player until they play in the NFL- the truth is that Lynch reminds me a little bit of Thurman.

I'm confused. If willis sucks as bad as this board says he does, then how are going to fetch a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

Since all you armchair GM's claim willis is so bad, why would another GM give up more than a 7th for someone that terrible?

Hype is a wonderful thing. :thumbsup:

And don't forget that dumb as a rock, child molesting, injury prone (or more accurately the guy who played ona broken leg who's dream was to be on the Bills, wanted to be here, and was a great teammate) Travis Henry got a 3rd. <_<

Whether the Bills should trade McGahee largely depends on whether they're planning on offering him an extension. If they've pretty much made up their minds that he's not going to get an extension when his contract expires, Marv should start considering all reasonable offers that teams make for McGahee. What I don't want to see happen is for the Bills to lose out on the 2nd or 3rd round pick we could have had for McGahee just because we wanted to get one last year of play out of him. One year of McGahee's play is not worth that kind of price.

Actually, I think the deciding factor here is not whether the Bills want to extend WM or not (he like other football players from a business perspective is just a commodity and one makes decisions about how to handle a commodity based not initially on what he is interested in but instead on how this commodity can best help the team achieve its goals.

Football is fortunately more than a business (unless of vourse you are talking about NCAA Div. 1 football which seems to be all about being a business these BCS days) and as people are involved they have other motivations (sometimes fairly negative) there is more to the actual operations than business decisions.

However, business is the starting framework and its probably most useful since we fans are not really in control of the day to day to think about what is the best business decision.

As far as business goes there is a partnership between the NFLPA and NFL embodied in the CBA, In this balance the individual who is good enough to be a player gets the ample cash reward of a huge paycheck for playing a boys game,

For this big win, the players have constrained their right to bargain as individuals on the free market by giving up certain ownership rights for 4 or more years (they give up the ability to go to the free market for various numbers of years in exchange for cash) and also they give the team owners the ability to tag them and constrain them from the market for up to two years.

Basically, the cards are mostly in the Bills hands as WM cannot take advantage of the free market for a year and potentially as many as 3 years if the Bills chose not to let him.

The Bills can give him money to extend this right to meet their interest but have little reason to do this since WM has not produced like an elite back.

It seems pretty clear to me that the deal is here that the Bills need do little more than stay the course and either agree to a deal with WM if he actually produces or let him walk if he does not.

All this debate over what he said, baby mommas. etc. is pretty ignorable junk for the most part,

Willis is a "name" who has had a couple 1000 + yard seasons. The guys in the front office selling tickets would consider him just for that. Add to that the old "he played for Buffalo, he'll do better here" excuse, and it I can see us getting a 2nd round pick for McGahee. If he goes somewhere he wants to be and is motivated to play well, he might even be worth it.

I agree. Throw in his cheap 07 salary, and the fact that quality free agents are scarce, and I am thinking that Willis could bring us a 2nd round pick, IF the Bills have the inclination to trade him.

I could easily be wrong, but I think that the jests would cough up a 2nd for him in a second. Curtis Martin is 90 years old and finished.

I agree. Throw in his cheap 07 salary, and the fact that quality free agents are scarce, and I am thinking that Willis could bring us a 2nd round pick, IF the Bills have the inclination to trade him.

I could easily be wrong, but I think that the jests would cough up a 2nd for him in a second. Curtis Martin is 90 years old and finished.

If someone offers you a no-brainer value for a trade for WM than by all means take it.

However. a 2nd rounder is not enough value for the Bills to make a serious playoff run in 07 as I am not confident in A-Train as a starter and the draft is such a crap shoot (look at what we got from our second and third choices last year in what proved to be a very good draft by Marv and the crew if one is trying to gauge the potential value of a 2nd rounder,

Though many fans hate having WM as an RB on their team because of his bizarre comments regarding women and business in Toronto, I am more driven by what is produced on the field and even if WM is no where near the elite RB folks hoped he was (and some folks seemed to really expect or hope he would be which to me ignores the probabilities caused by his injury), I feel much better about a roughly 1000 yard a year RB who we actually pay very little for with A-Train as a solid #2.

As WM has no real leverage to mount a hold out, I think we stay the course and let him walk if his next year production is not inspired by him heading into FA and alternately if between this motivation and Fairchild calling better plays that utilize the RB as a receiving threat we can still tag him or actually pay him if he somehow actually performs like a top 5 RB.

Stay the course.

This is retarded. Willis is one of our best players. Why even consider trading him??

I would do it for a couple that i can think of. One, his production on the field is not up to par with what this offense needs, and his name makes a bigger splash than any of his game play. You might be able to trade him for a third or second round pick.

Second, he's leaving next year, no matter what anybody thinks, he will not be here. If he does poorly this year, Marv will be the one who makes the plane ticket reservations out of Buffalo. If he does well, Drew Rosenhaus will make the plane reservations. Trade, and get what value you can for him. Simple and done.

Second, he's leaving next year, no matter what anybody thinks, he will not be here. If he does poorly this year, Marv will be the one who makes the plane ticket reservations out of Buffalo. If he does well, Drew Rosenhaus will make the plane reservations. Trade, and get what value you can for him. Simple and done.

Ahhhhhhh..........finally some sense to this thread.

I would do it for a couple that i can think of. One, his production on the field is not up to par with what this offense needs, and his name makes a bigger splash than any of his game play. You might be able to trade him for a third or second round pick.

But the problem is a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick stands a substantial chance of being worth very little. I think that we armchair GMs place far too much value in the speculative draft than reality does.

Folks seem to operate on the assumption that the draft pick one trades for has the production of Laurence Mulroney when really he could just as easily have the production of Eric Flowers, Ryan Leaf (all three of whom were actually thought of as being a better value than this 2nd or 3rd) or actually the production of John McCargo or Ashton Youbouty (if you want to look at the even more real world of whom this Bills crew evaluated as being a worthwhile 2nd and 3 rd pick by this team.

The key to selecting a draft pick acquired for WM is actually the very same thing as was the key for th Bills led by TD choosing WM which was that we had Travis Henry on the roster already and we could comfortably deal with our choice with the #18 be of zero value to us that year.

The key to me for Marv and the Bills is the question of what they have at RB in 2007 and it is simply an unacceptable risk for the prospects of this team to go into this season with our assets being little more than A-Train and a draft pick (be it 3rd or even 2nd round).

Even if WM is a total sexual and financial idiot (which he appears to be) and even if he only presents a threat that he might pull off a NYJ performance on his way to 990 yards for the season, having WM on the roster (even if the future holds a potential holdout) is of far higher value than the speculative nature of a draft choice.

But the problem is a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick stands a substantial chance of being worth very little. I think that we armchair GMs place far too much value in the speculative draft than reality does.

Folks seem to operate on the assumption that the draft pick one trades for has the production of Laurence Mulroney when really he could just as easily have the production of Eric Flowers, Ryan Leaf (all three of whom were actually thought of as being a better value than this 2nd or 3rd) or actually the production of John McCargo or Ashton Youbouty (if you want to look at the even more real world of whom this Bills crew evaluated as being a worthwhile 2nd and 3 rd pick by this team.

The key to selecting a draft pick acquired for WM is actually the very same thing as was the key for th Bills led by TD choosing WM which was that we had Travis Henry on the roster already and we could comfortably deal with our choice with the #18 be of zero value to us that year.

The key to me for Marv and the Bills is the question of what they have at RB in 2007 and it is simply an unacceptable risk for the prospects of this team to go into this season with our assets being little more than A-Train and a draft pick (be it 3rd or even 2nd round).

Even if WM is a total sexual and financial idiot (which he appears to be) and even if he only presents a threat that he might pull off a NYJ performance on his way to 990 yards for the season, having WM on the roster (even if the future holds a potential holdout) is of far higher value than the speculative nature of a draft choice.

If one arm chair GM is not so confident in their scouting teams ability to find a running back in this years draft to eclipse McGahee's on field production this year, then one must get a new scouting department.

You mean like New England?? :thumbsup:

Turner is a beast and some team is gonna do something extreme to make him a feature back. I would love for it to be Buffalo.

\

You want the team to drop a load on a backup running back. This guy spells LT after he torches the defense for 7 plays. Im not saying he isnta good change of pace back but I dont think he could shoulder the full load right away. Besides I think the Giants may have something to say about him before its all said and done